Install Arc
Options

Foundry Nerf and Items

Comments

• Options
    rasmenar2112rasmenar2112 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is not P2W.... oh wait.

The Astral Diamonds you are purchasing with Zen are for sale by another player. The cash you are paying generates the zen for the trade, the other player's actions in farming Astral Diamonds generated the diamonds for you to use. And, since Zen is taken out of the economy immediately and permantently when it's spent, this by itself does not contribute to inflation.

I don't think you understand what P2W is. For this to move over the border of P2W, it would need to be items that you had no option but to pay money for. Paying cash in this case gives you no significant advantage over your competition, because the items they are buying with these astral diamonds are no better than the same items you could buy or acquire as drops. The only advantage they get is they have a highly valued disposable currency to trade for the astral diamonds.

If, for example, you could trade Zen for AD but NOT AD for Zen (say, from an NPC vendor so that the zen is just destroyed and does not change hands to a new player), and they were selling Epic items on the cash shop, it would be pay to win.
    Alone in the darkness, that is where you truly discover yourself. Without self, without the core of your identity, you are nothing. - Rasmenar
  • Options
    sw33tch33kssw33tch33ks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I ran a foundry quest with a guildie last night. I personally got 5 potions 3 ident scrolls. There was around 10 gear rolls for greens. There were only a few groups of trash mobs that had no drops. At least 90% of the mob groups dropped something. It took us about 10 min to complete. It was a foundry quest that I had run the day before but he hadn't ever played.

I read through 14 pages of this thread and it seems like people don't even bother testing anything, they just pick up pitchforks and torches and start rioting.

I'm a little new here, is there a "loot tracker" type add-on available? That would help get some actual numbers for testing these kinds of things.
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Astral Diamonds you are purchasing with Zen are for sale by another player. The cash you are paying generates the zen for the trade, the other player's actions in farming Astral Diamonds generated the diamonds for you to use. And, since Zen is taken out of the economy immediately and permantently when it's spent, this by itself does not contribute to inflation.

I don't think you understand what P2W is. For this to move over the border of P2W, it would need to be items that you had no option but to pay money for. Paying cash in this case gives you no significant advantage over your competition, because the items they are buying with these astral diamonds are no better than the same items you could buy or acquire as drops. The only advantage they get is they have a highly valued disposable currency to trade for the astral diamonds.

If, for example, you could trade Zen for AD but NOT AD for Zen (say, from an NPC vendor so that the zen is just destroyed and does not change hands to a new player), and they were selling Epic items on the cash shop, it would be pay to win.
    I can buy a guaranteed fuse but since the high level fuse chance is 1%, not zero, it's not P2W? Got it.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I read through 14 pages of this thread and it seems like people don't even bother testing anything, they just pick up pitchforks and torches and start rioting.

Loot was sparse, but the mission I did was fairly short. Also not as much killing as a farm-style quest.

XP has changed. I'm leveling the CW entirely through Foundry content, so I'll post hard numbers tonight. However, fact remains that (it's not even anecdotal) I got 6 bubbles from "tutorial" quests (which were giving level 9, 10 and 11 rewards to a level 15 character) and 2 bubbles from a Foundry quest which took 4 times as long, and was scaled to my level (15).

There's something wrong there.
  • Options
    skykoreskykore Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An alternative solution to exploits in the foundry is to throttle xp per minute, and have items drop much less while your limit is reached. Perhaps add a visual indicator as a notch on your xp bar that slides to the left when you gain xp and decays back to the right.
    Wish i had permission to create a new thread with this idea...i really think it is a much more elegant solution than the current fix which just butchers any hope that someone will play my maps.
  • Options
    lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    mrgobgob34 wrote: »
    Exactly, as it stands right now I have no desire to do foundry's, for anything.

Same here. Please bring back item drops!
  • Options
    sw33tch33kssw33tch33ks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    XP has changed. I'm leveling the CW entirely through Foundry content, so I'll post hard numbers tonight. However, fact remains that (it's not even anecdotal) I got 6 bubbles from "tutorial" quests (which were giving level 9, 10 and 11 rewards to a level 15 character) and 2 bubbles from a Foundry quest which took 4 times as long, and was scaled to my level (15).

There's something wrong there.
    I wonder what the difference is, my buddy leveled during the foundry quest we did. I wasn't really paying attention to my XP so I can't really comment on that, I'll test it out tonight though.

I'd imagine that they're looking at quite a few things with the quests to come up with a loot/xp scaling for foundry quests.
    Length of the quest, total map size, total distance traveled by the player, distance between enemy groups, toughness of enemy groups, number of dialog trees, length of dialog trees, number of object interactions, number of traps, the number of variations in types of mobs(ranged/melee/caster), how many times the player has played the quest lifetime, how many times the player has played the quest in the last x hours, and star rating. I'm sure there is probably more.

It would take a lot of testing in the foundry to figure out exactly what their criteria is. Create a quest with 50 groups of enemies that rush the player in waves. Change that to them spread out along a long path. Add in object interactions. Add in dialog. etc,etc. Then see how that affects the drop rates and xp gain. Or, when doing other peoples foundry quests look for those criteria and keep track of the drop rates/xp gain look for patterns. Ok this quest had almost no dialog and had a high mob density in a small area and didn't give much. This quest had a lot of dialog and a medium mob density across a large area and gave a normal amount. etc.

I might do the latter a few times during normal play, but the former "try to brute force the formula" is more testing than I want to do.
  • Options
    zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skykore wrote: »
    An alternative solution to exploits in the foundry is to throttle xp per minute, and have items drop much less while your limit is reached. Perhaps add a visual indicator as a notch on your xp bar that slides to the left when you gain xp and decays back to the right.
    Wish i had permission to create a new thread with this idea...i really think it is a much more elegant solution than the current fix which just butchers any hope that someone will play my maps.
    That's exactly what they did. You can gain X xp every 5 minutes -- and if you reach that cap, items stop dropping as well.

X is the equivalent of 2 'solo' difficulty mobs, hence all the notes about "no xp after the first 2 ogres".

[disclaimer: I haven't done any real testing to verify this... mostly because I honestly can't be bothered to. :p]
  • Options
    ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All the modern "I ONLY PLAY FOR LOOTZ AND XP" players really just need to leave anyways. It sounds rough, yes but it is true. They refuse to understand the simple fact, the Foundry is a story telling tool that captures what the Pen and Paper element of D&D is and puts it into a digital media.

It is NOT some tool for power levelers/grindcore players that want an easy path to riches or max level.

I will say it time and time again. Who the hell are these players that come into a game based on Dungeons and Dragons, which is based on telling stories, and demand that the system be changed so they can benefit, without any of the story telling...I can probably name a thousand grindfest MMO's that offer EXACTLY what they want.

The sooner these types of players leave, the better for the rest of us. Yes, Neverwinter might fall to a more niche game, but D&D pretty much is too. Most players that say the Foundry sucks and want's it changed, would probably never touch a REAL D&D game if there life depended on it, so why are they trying to **** it up for those that want a D&D game?

They are going to reach max level anyways, and in a few months just jump ship for the next new game to come out...and they don't care that the game they are leaving behind and forced to change, is now worthless to the dedicated fans.

In the end Cryptic will be the biggest loser if they give in to these seasonal gamers.

^ this. Total agreement. Never been a guy that said don't let the door hit you on the way out but there's a first for everything. And with the amount of work chili, apoc, nyghoma and myself are starting to put in on unbelievably detailed, asset maxing quests... It just begs for people who want to play d&d and experience some truly inspiring things. Not the people who 1 star because they couldn't grind in your quest. Or the people who give 1 star because they actual had to read a dialog box a do some exploring to complete the adventure. We are creating d&d content for a game that IS d&d. Get these **** 1 room grind quests out of the **** catalog and make room for content that the players of d&d want. And if that means the Loot FARMERS and the exp FARMERS go the same route I'm all for it. we don't put 100 hours (literally) into creating things that those type of players could care less about seeing.

When the ACTUAL players get a load of apocs new ravenloft recreation (his tavern), chilis warlock tower of bad assedness, nyghomas new prelude to gloom light's floating mind flayer platforms and my part 2 halls of the forgotten frost giant fortress that reaches 50 feet below the max ceiling height in the game they will **** their pants! Because we make this for THOSE players. Who LOVE it like we do. And use the foundry for what the game developers have STATED is the INTENT.

So for the love of GOD if you don't want to play awe inspiring quests this game is LITERALLY not for you. Don't ***** that it isn't. Either change your expectations KNOWING that's what this game is or GO. And I you choose to go, be a man about it, don't leave us a goodbye like we will miss you... Or feel the game was lessened because of it. It will make it better since the players that WANT to be here can do what this game is made for. Don't come in stating u want your refund either. WE DON'T CARE. Go work it out for yourself we don't even give a **** about it.

This is the very FIRST game that delivered EXACTLY what it said and had the balls to stand behind it and no fold under the whining of exploiting or farmer trolls. Hallelujah for cryptic making a stand behind the INTENT of their game.

Don't bother replying if you don't like it. Just accept it and move the **** on.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    The loot nerf needs to go ASAP! Getting ONLY white items from the end chest is so crummy.

Devs, fix this garbage NOW!
  • Options
    ravenousfireravenousfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    ^ this. Total agreement. Never been a guy that said don't let the door hit you on the way out but there's a first for everything. And with the amount of work chili, apoc, nyghoma and myself are starting to put in on unbelievably detailed, asset maxing quests... It just begs for people who want to play d&d and experience some truly inspiring things. Not the people who 1 star because they couldn't grind in your quest. Or the people who give 1 star because they actual had to read a dialog box a do some exploring to complete the adventure. We are creating d&d content for a game that IS d&d. Get these **** 1 room grind quests out of the **** catalog and make room for content that the players of d&d want. And if that means the Loot FARMERS and the exp FARMERS go the same route I'm all for it. we don't put 100 hours (literally) into creating things that those type of players could care less about seeing.

When the ACTUAL players get a load of apocs new ravenloft recreation (his tavern), chilis warlock tower of bad assedness, nyghomas new prelude to gloom light's floating mind flayer platforms and my part 2 halls of the forgotten frost giant fortress that reaches 50 feet below the max ceiling height in the game they will **** their pants! Because we make this for THOSE players. Who LOVE it like we do. And use the foundry for what the game developers have STATED is the INTENT.

So for the love of GOD if you don't want to play awe inspiring quests this game is LITERALLY not for you. Don't ***** that it isn't. Either change your expectations KNOWING that's what this game is or GO. And I you choose to go, be a man about it, don't leave us a goodbye like we will miss you... Or feel the game was lessened because of it. It will make it better since the players that WANT to be here can do what this game is made for. Don't come in stating u want your refund either. WE DON'T CARE. Go work it out for yourself we don't even give a **** about it.

This is the very FIRST game that delivered EXACTLY what it said and had the balls to stand behind it and no fold under the whining of exploiting or farmer trolls. Hallelujah for cryptic making a stand behind the INTENT of their game.

Don't bother replying if you don't like it. Just accept it and move the **** on.

Really? Because you believe you and your friends are super storytellers (yet to be seen) you think you're the only people this game caters too? Sounds like a load of self entitlement to me.

If people want to grind out their levels let them, who gives a ****. This purist BS that people are spouting off about 'get out if you don't want a story' is completely ludicrous. It is an immature argument to say 'boot everyone that doesn't believe as I do'.

If it's an exploit, by all means nerf it to hell and back, if the mobs can fight back, and you're actually having to work, what does it matter to you? It doesn't hurt you or the community that only wants to do story driven missions. I personally like a little of both, sometimes I just want to go blow something up.

The Foundry was an alternate means of generating content for the game, it was a heavy handed and knee jerk fix from PW on this patch. It just goes to show that the vocal minority can really impact the gameplay of others.

I hope the next nerf is a 5 line cap on text dialog. Some of these would-be storytellers ramble on and on with dialog because they think they're the next Tolkein, or Jordan and most of us just want to run and adventure, not hear the life story of the guy we're going to kill 10 orcs for.

Seriously though, grow up, be tolerant of other people's play styles and stop screaming at PW for a nerf just because you don't like something. Lots of people who don't happen to agree with you play this game as well.
  • Options
    ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really? Because you believe you and your friends are super storytellers (yet to be seen) you think you're the only people this game caters too? Sounds like a load of self entitlement to me.

If people want to grind out their levels let them, who gives a ****. This purist BS that people are spouting off about 'get out if you don't want a story' is completely ludicrous. It is an immature argument to say 'boot everyone that doesn't believe as I do'.

If it's an exploit, by all means nerf it to hell and back, if the mobs can fight back, and you're actually having to work, what does it matter to you? It doesn't hurt you or the community that only wants to do story driven missions. I personally like a little of both, sometimes I just want to go blow something up.

The Foundry was an alternate means of generating content for the game, it was a heavy handed and knee jerk fix from PW on this patch. It just goes to show that the vocal minority can really impact the gameplay of others.

I hope the next nerf is a 5 line cap on text dialog. Some of these would-be storytellers ramble on and on with dialog because they think they're the next Tolkein, or Jordan and most of us just want to run and adventure, not hear the life story of the guy we're going to kill 10 orcs for.

Seriously though, grow up, be tolerant of other people's play styles and stop screaming at PW for a nerf just because you don't like something. Lots of people who don't happen to agree with you play this game as well.

Let me start by repeating I don't give a ****. Or did you miss that part? QQ more then take off. Thanks for playing.

Who ever said anything about story telling? I dont write books of dialog. Some create for visual, some create for awesome battles, some create for story. The common theme tho is, they create for d&d.

Who's right, the players using the game for what the owning company stated was their intention for the game or the players *****ing that they disagree with the intent and it should be THEIR play style catered to?

I'm playing the one that was intended. If you're not... Cya!

EDIT: btw, I couldn't care less that someone grinds for loot or exp. if the company made a quest in the main game called "all lame *** farmers wanted" and you enter a blank room with nothing in there but countless mobs I'm all for it. In fact they should t bother. They should put a button in your character sheet that says "level to 60" and does it instantly. That would make all of this moot. This game isn't about that ****. The quests pumping out will be made for level 60s. Just get your lame *** farm **** out of the foundry and its catalog.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    alunalun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if its been said, but there is currently a cap of ~10% of your level's XP per ~5 minutes. Once you hit that cap, XP and loot cease to drop for the next couple of minutes. Killing two boss-type enemies within ~5 minutes of each other will hit this cap. Basically, the better your gear/better you play, the more you'll notice the Foundry nerf.
  • Options
    baburmisbaburmis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i just wish foundry exp/loot was on par with the rest of the game, thats all. no more no less :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    alun wrote: »
    Not sure if its been said, but there is currently a cap of ~10% of your level's XP per ~5 minutes. Once you hit that cap, XP and loot cease to drop for the next couple of minutes. Killing two boss-type enemies within ~5 minutes of each other will hit this cap. Basically, the better your gear/better you play, the more you'll notice the Foundry nerf.

So in other words slow down and enjoy the content? Look around for a change? Read a line of text for once? Imagine that... How nice. A nerf that really only effects someone not exploring the content. Talk about the best change ever, spot on!
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    capt0bv10u5capt0bv10u5 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eros1986 wrote: »
    Why didn't they just add a TAB for xp foundry is out of my mind.

Because there are race and class quests that add different aspect to the story archs you've already played. So if you're mad at a company for wanting the replay value of a game to be there and to be admired, and to be actually used, then I have to ask why you're even playing games like this in the first place?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Because there are race and class quests that add different aspect to the story archs you've already played. So if you're mad at a company for wanting the replay value of a game to be there and to be admired, and to be actually used, then I have to ask why you're even playing games like this in the first place?

On a side note, I did a Foundry solo last night and got a Nightmare box and a couple of items to ID.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can't believe the flaming going on here over this. The Foundry needed to be nerfed some, it has the expressed purpose of being to players to create whatever they want (as the paper version of the game does) and it still follows the same set of rules (slightly restricted, even) as the primary game. Cryptic will work it all out in the end, and if a year after launch you don't like what the game has become you don't have to play it. That's the beauty behind it all, this is your choice. It's your time/money, it's your decision. Don't let someone yell you out of a game because they're different players that you are. By the same token, don't be an elitis jack-off about it and demand people do what you do. Play the game however you want and if Cryptic (and only Cryptic) doesn't like what you're doing, then they'll make the appropriate changes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Unnerf the Foundry! It should give rewards similar to the rest of the game, dangit.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can't believe the flaming going on here over this. The Foundry needed to be nerfed some, it has the expressed purpose of being to players to create whatever they want (as the paper version of the game does) and it still follows the same set of rules (slightly restricted, even) as the primary game. Cryptic will work it all out in the end, and if a year after launch you don't like what the game has become you don't have to play it. That's the beauty behind it all, this is your choice. It's your time/money, it's your decision. Don't let someone yell you out of a game because they're different players that you are. By the same token, don't be an elitis jack-off about it and demand people do what you do. Play the game however you want and if Cryptic (and only Cryptic) doesn't like what you're doing, then they'll make the appropriate changes.

Which is exactly what cryptic just did and is exactly why the players who don't want to play that game are *****ing. Either play the game that cryptic provided or leave. Stop the *****ing and all is well.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    rejoltrejolt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like this change. I like it more because I didn't think of it and I agree with it. Many moons from now they can look at the xp rate again and see about changing/improving it.
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unnerf the Foundry! It should give rewards similar to the rest of the game, dangit.

Then the Foundry quests need to be similar to the rest of the game too. Grinding and exploiting quests are not. Hence their nerfing/banning.
  • Options
    gohlargohlar Member Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    Exploit maps were bad. Grinding maps were fine. You can grind out in the regular game too. Ogres simply were giving too much exp but now the whole foundry is gimped because of short sighted twits who insist everyone play the game like they do.

It stinks. They should of lowered the exp for problem mobs and have mobs evade if they can't attack, not listen to dimwits who cry foul over what someone else is doing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Then the Foundry quests need to be similar to the rest of the game too. Grinding and exploiting quests are not. Hence their nerfing/banning.

I didn't say anything about exploit maps. I want REAL MAPS to give the same xp and loot as the rest of the game. Jesus Christ. Don't assume people are talking about exploit maps just because you want to project that on to them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I didn't say anything about exploit maps. I want REAL MAPS to give the same xp and loot as the rest of the game. Jesus Christ. Don't assume people are talking about exploit maps just because you want to project that on to them.

Dude re read his reply to you. He MEANT for that to happen those that DID make exploit maps would have to stop. Bu because the idiots don't have time to find a creative bone in their body it won't happen. Hence the reason what you ask for cant happen. He wasn't saying you wanted exploit maps be was explaining why u can't have what u want. Geeez... Read and comprehend
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dude re read his reply to you. He MEANT for that to happen those that DID make exploit maps would have to stop. Bu because the idiots don't have time to find a creative bone in their body it won't happen. Hence the reason what you ask for cant happen. He wasn't saying you wanted exploit maps be was explaining why u can't have what u want. Geeez... Read and comprehend

Or they could simply lower the exp for ogres and have mobs evade.

But instead they listen to short sighted whiners who don't have the slightest idea what is good for the game and simply gimp the foundry. Great solution huh?

They took the only thing that made this game stand out and ruined it. Now it's another dime a dozen f2p mmo. Nice work guys.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gohlar wrote: »
    Or they could simply lower the exp for ogres and have mobs evade.

But instead they listen to short sighted whiners who don't have the slightest idea what is good for the game and simply gimp the foundry. Great solution huh?

They took the only thing that made this game stand out and ruined it. Now it's another dime a dozen f2p mmo. Nice work guys.

Or you can't grasp the entire meaning of the game or the fact it wasn't designed for what you want so you'll sit here and complain. Best change ever making this UNLIKE any other mmo out there. Like I said, give u a "level me to 60 button" to shut you the hell up. (I'd prefer u just left)
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Or you can't grasp the entire meaning of the game or the fact it wasn't designed for what you want so you'll sit here and complain. Best change ever making this UNLIKE any other mmo out there. Like I said, give u a "level me to 60 button" to shut you the hell up. (I'd prefer u just left)

You're mad because you know I'm right, and you also are making nonsensical arguments. I said they should fix the problem. You, like many other short sighted people, think everyone should play like you and should be limited in the same ways you are.

The foundry needed help. People like you caused them to rush it and ruin it. Nice work.
  • Options
    mrhiggymrhiggy Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I heard this game was being made, I was thrilled. I was a huge fan of the neverwinter nights games, and though I knew it would be different, I was so thrilled to learn I could still create content that would be on par with game content in terms of rewards. After 8 years of Warcraft, the idea of not repeating content on an alt sounded pretty nice too.

I spent the previous three months writing out quest dialogs, and ideas for several foundry dungeons to tell multiple different stories (with a dialog skipping option for people who hate that), and now learning that foundry bias been needed to hell, I'm fairly discouraged. This was the big selling point of the game for me. What really makes it stand out from the other f2p mmos now? And what incentive do i have anymore to contribute to what is potentially the most interesting aspect of the game?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nonsensical? Lol. The first step to getting over your issue, is realizing there isn't a "problem". There is a problem for YOU because you don want to play the game in the style it provides. And what I'm saying is, i don't care that it causes you a problem. The game plays to MY style already. And kudos to cryptic to have the guts to stand behind it.

Cya
    Halls_Sig.jpg