test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Paying cash To Respec - Everyone post your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There is really no argument here.

There are many D&D fans who will not a play a game if it doesnt allow them to express themselves well.

It is that simple.

If Perfect World wants their money. The game needs to function in a way that D&D fans find acceptable.

Gouging money for respecs is probably unwise in the long run.
  • Options
    delekii1delekii1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Why?

I think any point allocation system implies that you're making a choice about character development, and meaningful character development requires that your choice have some weight. Readily available respecs make your choices meaningless.
    This is a common fallacy touted by people that draw some sort of worth from a lack of choice.

Being able to reassign point allocations doesn't make your choices meaningless, it makes them informed. Trust me, there are still PLENTY of people in games that offer free, limitless respecs that run with attrocious builds, or more importantly, run with different builds for different purposes.

Respecs offer two very important things in a video game.
    1. Flexibility for the content available, where one spec can serve a completely different purpose to another.
    2. Flexibility to learn how the points actually function, when they (frequently) do not function as advertised.

For example, two control wizard nodes give +aoe damage. One does not work on targets that are alone, the other does. There is nothing in the text to alight to this fact. Without a free respec, someone speccing the point without the prior knowledge of this fact is underselling their points.

Let's get this straight, and lets repeat it until the stupid argument dies; locking in spec points does not imply weight in your choice when you can change it, whether that change costs money or not. The fact that you choose not to respec because it costs money just means that you are accepting mediocrity, not that you cannot respec. You can, the option is there. It's just ridiculously overpriced.
  • Options
    neverderp3012neverderp3012 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "No, I'm saying that the very idea of creating a "perfect" character is antithetical to D&D.

Perfect characters are, quite frankly, boring as all get out. "

Agreed, but sticking to some kind of lore that says (in essence) "you SHALL NOT CHANGE!" is silly in a game where there are so many variables. It was in D&D and it is here and now. And if that's the only "reason" for being against respecs... or for defending the "yeah, but you could CHOOSE to roll up another toon to respec" or any of the other nonsense I've seen posted in this thread, you haven't a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

A few indisputable facts:

1) It's a game.

2) Actually... #1 about covers it.

The only "good" character is one that I enjoy. There are many, many paths to create "possibilities of enjoyment" and I want to maximize my enjoyment, thus I would like to tinker.

Tinkering is punished with real life currency or real life hours spent.

Games + punishment = people leaving for other games.

/end thesis
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So when you lose, do you ask your opponent to let you undo your moves until you can find a strategy to beat them?
    What you say, and the assumptions seemingly behind it, makes it seem you dont understand what roleplay and storytelling are.
  • Options
    andervinandervin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Cash for respecs is BS, period.
  • Options
    mofugli1mofugli1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    papi032 wrote: »
    By many ways you mean do dailies.. 3 skirmishes, 1 dung, 4 pvp's, 4 foundries... With 2+ hours on dung/skirmish que (TR) makes it a whole days staring at the screen with not much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to do with yourself. Also getting a que does not in any way mean that the group you end up with will be competent enough to actuallly finish it. So unless you have 4 friends who make a nice team or a guild with nice class diversity you are slowed down dramatically.

Yeah, that's really not what I mean at all, dailies are great but suck as a means of making AD - try some farming of enchantments, runestones, craft items, bounty items (and the list goes on) to sell on AH... you don't need a group at all, there is no queue, no wait time, no rolling BS for drops.. go out, SLAY a bunch of mobs and take the loots, simple concept most people are missing
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The only "good" character is one that I enjoy.
    Thank you for making the why so easy to understand.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For some reason people keep saying that because you technically can't respec in the pen and paper D&D, it has no place in the game. This is wrong for a number of reasons.

1. You definitely CAN respec in P&P, even if it isn't covered by the rules. That is the beauty of the game; you can use as much or as little of the rules as you want. The same is not true of the video-game; you are confined to the rules put in place by the creators.
    2. Videogames, and MMOs in particular, often design content to be challenging. However, that content has to be tuned to a specific place given a specific condition in mind. In the case of MMOs, that is usually based on level, and size of group. In pen and paper D&D, the game master can set the challenge to meet his characters' specific skillsets - this is very difficult to achieve in an MMO. As a result, balance is often cast around min-maxing, and even if it isn't, min-maxing is the only control we have in making content easier.

Not all pen-and-paper concepts translate well to video-games. That should be clear to anyone playing any prior D&D implementation; changes have to be made.

No respecs as a concept does not work in a video-game of this size. Yes, there are games that don't offer respecs. They also don't expect as much commitment to a single character. There is nothing stopping you from not respeccing if you feel it upsets your game experience. As always, don't enforce YOUR beliefs on other players.

When there is no respecs, or respecs are prohibitively expensive, EVERYONE is bound by that scenario.
    When there are respecs, everyone is free to CHOOSE how they want to play.
  • Options
    projaeprojae Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4th ed. is garbage.. You shouldn't even be ABLE to respec at all.. In D&D, character planning was much much more of a responsibility than a mere formality.. Choices were permanent and if you wanted to change, you re-rolled.. But as in every game with "teh Pvpz" you are so-called " required" to switch your feats after every death to counter the other team.. They should also make it so that you can switch souls..err classes on the fly so I can be everything as well when I want..

Consequences are soooo 1998.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mofugli1 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's really not what I mean at all, dailies are great but suck as a means of making AD - try some farming of enchantments, runestones, craft items, bounty items (and the list goes on) to sell on AH... you don't need a group at all, there is no queue, no wait time, no rolling BS for drops.. go out, SLAY a bunch of mobs and take the loots, simple concept most people are missing

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind that respecs cost and that you have to farm to earn one. What i mind is that they changed a power that was good, and now it is bad and i'm stuck with it because i picked it up when it was good and now i don't want it and feel scammed that i have to pay for something i didn't cause. If they offer a point return on the powers they change, all is good, otherwise, if they keep changing stuff but still wanting people to pay/grind for respecs.. not so much
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    projae wrote: »
    4th ed. is garbage.. You shouldn't even be ABLE to respec at all.. In D&D, character planning was much much more of a responsibility than a mere formality.. Choices were permanent and if you wanted to change, you re-rolled.. But as in every game with "teh Pvpz" you are so-called " required" to switch your feats after every death to counter the other team.. They should also make it so that you can switch souls..err classes on the fly so I can be everything as well when I want..

Consequences are soooo 1998.. :rolleyes:

This isn't D&D.

Planning isn't possible in a new game, and this is one.

You can only (vaguely at best) anticipate the outcomes of your choices since this isn't D&D and the "rules" of the game don't apply - and even if they did (perfectly) match the "rules" of a game without computers to enforce them (e.g. humans always had the last say and were always flexible if you could b__sh__ your DM into letting you) no one would play them.

Humans built this. Humans make mistakes. Humans change their minds. Humans grow and change. Change means choice - if you don't have choices you don't change. If you do have choices, you MUST change or end up posting stuff on forums that makes you sound like an irrate 80 year old shouting, "You punks get off my lawn with your rock and roll and your Britney Spears and your freaky haircuts! Let your hair grow out like normal people and get tattoos like normal people and eat lots of carbs and drink Cola like normal people!"

In other words: change (for lack of a better term) is good.

-Gordon Gekko
  • Options
    kvarga74kvarga74 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    Everything in your post is wrong.

1) There are many things you can do in this game that you can't do in D&D at all- because its an mmo not D&D.

2) You call it a luxury- because you are obviously not into exploring all facets of the game. To me and others who like to experiment with new things and not just be forced to follow what others have posted on the net, respeccing is an integral part of any mmo.

3) Professions are not needed to play, mounts are not needed to play, companions are not need to play
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Consequences are soooo 1998..
    Ironically, the opinion above would cause an obsession with optimization.

A lack of respec *forces* players to pre-plan every single detail of their character, for their entire career. Every level. Failure to do so means the hero fails to qualify for the options that the player wants.

By contrast, respec allows the player to enjoy the game, experiencially and naturally, and find whatever it is they like, and leave whatever they dont like behind.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you do have choices, you MUST change or end up posting stuff on forums that makes you sound like an irrate 80 year old shouting, "You punks get off my lawn with your rock and roll and your Britney Spears and your freaky haircuts! Let your hair grow out like normal people and get tattoos like normal people and eat lots of carbs and drink Cola like normal people!"

In other words: change (for lack of a better term) is good.

-Gordon Gekko

You joke about it now, but there will be "changes" that you do not agree with eventually and you will be THAT guy shouting from his lawn.. Change is necessary of course, but consequences for your decisions are STILL A PART OF LIFE even with change.. If I went to college and decided to get a degree in business management over that degree in pharmaceutical tech and found out it "gimped" me about 200k a year in salary, I can't erase the fact that I now have a business management degree and if I wanted to pursue that pharmaceutical tech degree i'd have to possible "grind" some cash and go earn that degree on TOP of what I already have..

Why not just learn to play with what you have instead of having to have every toy in the world at your finger tips..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This was a mispost....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    Listen, you guys who are saying "charging for respec is fine" are obviously a group that has no understanding of why people respec. Everything you post reinforces this; like "change your build to the build of the week on a whim". No. Please understand that there are many people who like to respec because they are tinkerers, experimenters, and love pushing boundaries. That whole aspect of the game is cut out for us with a $6 respec price.

I agree wholeheartedly... I have played lots of different MMO's in the past and usualy have one of every class... each of these characters I would research a little going in so I understand the dynamics, and then I will tinker to best suit two things...

The Game Dynamics (Which will inevitably change even out of BETA
    My personal play style... I have already re-specced my first character at Lvl 25 because I really didn't like a couple of choices i made that made, that I thought at the time were cool but in testing didn't work for me. I have reset feats for AD and Paid for 1 respec...

Yes I did feel ripped off and as a customer I was unhappy at the thought of not being able to play with my usual 'tinkering' style as it would be far too costly.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anashim wrote: »
    What you say, and the assumptions seemingly behind it, makes it seem you dont understand what roleplay and storytelling are.

Really? Because I thought the intent was clear: You made some choices, they were bad, and you lost, but now you want to do them over so you can win instead. Chess makes a very poor analogy for a role playing game, since you either win, lose or draw, and in an RPG, there can really be no win/lose/draw, at least, not in an MMO. "But Freddy has a better build than me, and I want to try it out, so I should be able to do it for free, and then, if I find that I can't play it, I should be able to change to something else for free, ad infinitum, until I find something I do like" doesn't cut it. It's not role play, and it's not story telling. It's powergaming, and it is, on top of role play and story telling, something that I am quite familiar with.

I played, successfully, on NWNs servers where munchkins were the name of the game. I even came up with a few very innovative concepts, such as my Dev Crit, whip wielding Drow Cleric, or my Druid/Wiz/AA. Hell, I ran my own NWNs server for about 2 months, right at the end of my NWNs career. It was pretty popular amongst a small fanbase because it wasn't munchkinville, but an actual role play server. It even had a decent little story behind it. But yeah, I don't know <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about role play, and I surely don't know how to distinguish "I wanna be a powergamer so I can rock in PvP" from "I'm looking for some role play fun, where my choices and mistakes matter", and some of the "mistakes" might well be on purpose, you know, for role play reasons.

I also have no clue about "I have no intention of paying to play this free game, and anyone that does is just (insert flavor of the week troll here)". I've played plenty of games that didn't have any other mechanic to respec but reroll, which is how I became an altaholic, messing with builds until I found something I liked, no matter how "gimped" the community might have thought it was. Add this to I haven't played any F2P MMOs where the respec is free anyway, and I'm amazed at the concept of "give it to me for free".
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You joke about it now, but there will be "changes" that you do not agree with eventually and you will be THAT guy shouting from his lawn.. Change is necessary of course, but consequences for your decisions are STILL A PART OF LIFE even with change.. If I went to college and decided to get a degree in business management over that degree in pharmaceutical tech and found out it "gimped" me about 200k a year in salary, I can't erase the fact that I now have a business management degree and if I wanted to pursue that pharmaceutical tech degree i'd have to possible "grind" some cash and go earn that degree on TOP of what I already have..

Why not just learn to play with what you have instead of having to have every toy in the world at your finger tips..

Why not just be satisfied with working at a fast food joint for minimum wage if you are capable of more if allowed to FIND OUT what more really means?

Of course I won't agree with all change. But are you seriously telling me that you would enjoy your life more with NO options after you make each decision?

Divorce rates would plummet, but murder would quadruple.

No joke. But I will rephrase, "Change (for lack of a better term) is better than a complete absence of options."

Better?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Why not just be satisfied with working at a fast food joint for minimum wage if you are capable of more if allowed to FIND OUT what more really means?

Of course I won't agree with all change. But are you seriously telling me that you would enjoy your life more with NO options after you make each decision?

Divorce rates would plummet, but murder would quadruple.

No joke. But I will rephrase, "Change (for lack of a better term) is better than a complete absence of options."

Better?

You still misunderstand the fact that consequences will never go away.. You make a bad decision, in many cases you are forced to live with it.. Good enough Obi Wan?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This isn't D&D.
    snip

Looks at the left side of the banner on the top of the page, snips post.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Really? Because I thought the intent was clear: You made some choices, they were bad, and you lost, but now you want to do them over so you can win instead. Chess makes a very poor analogy for a role playing game, since you either win, lose or draw, and in an RPG, there can really be no win/lose/draw, at least, not in an MMO. "But Freddy has a better build than me, and I want to try it out, so I should be able to do it for free, and then, if I find that I can't play it, I should be able to change to something else for free, ad infinitum, until I find something I do like" doesn't cut it. It's not role play, and it's not story telling. It's powergaming, and it is, on top of role play and story telling, something that I am quite familiar with.

I played, successfully, on NWNs servers where munchkins were the name of the game. I even came up with a few very innovative concepts, such as my Dev Crit, whip wielding Drow Cleric, or my Druid/Wiz/AA. Hell, I ran my own NWNs server for about 2 months, right at the end of my NWNs career. It was pretty popular amongst a small fanbase because it wasn't munchkinville, but an actual role play server. It even had a decent little story behind it. But yeah, I don't know <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about role play, and I surely don't know how to distinguish "I wanna be a powergamer so I can rock in PvP" from "I'm looking for some role play fun, where my choices and mistakes matter", and some of the "mistakes" might well be on purpose, you know, for role play reasons.

I also have no clue about "I have no intention of paying to play this free game, and anyone that does is just (insert flavor of the week troll here)". I've played plenty of games that didn't have any other mechanic to respec but reroll, which is how I became an altaholic, messing with builds until I found something I liked, no matter how "gimped" the community might have thought it was. Add this to I haven't played any F2P MMOs where the respec is free anyway, and I'm amazed at the concept of "give it to me for free".
    Hmmm. The instance that people must NOT have the character that they want, continues to confirm the inability to understand storytelling.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Astral Diamonds are an impossible solution at low levels.

Low levels is when respec is most important to establish the character concept.

Respec is completely pointless at low levels, because you can buy the feats you missed as you level. You won't miss the points until you hit the END of the leveling treadmill. By that time, you'll have scads of AD, and you'll only need to respec once anyway. If you didn't do your leveling through cheating, you'll have played for weeks or months, and saved far more than $6 by not having paid a $15/month fee just to have ACCESS to your characters.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You still misunderstand the fact that consequences will never go away.. You make a bad decision, in many cases you are forced to live with it.. Good enough Obi Wan?

The consequence (because it's a GAME) are that I spent my real life time finding out that I made the wrong choices.

My "bad" decision was to select from a range of options with limited to nill information and no experience in a GAME.

Now I have to pay either real life money or real life time to "fix" my "bad" decision.

I paid the price (because it's a GAME) with a less than optimal performance for my character (in the GAME) and want to change it. So I pay again in real life commodities to make my (GAME) life more enjoyable.

Yes, there are consequences and prices to be paid for poor - or uninformed - choices.

But its a GAME (GAME) and paying in real life commodities for "bad" choices created by artificial, un-knowable, and all too human decisions irks me.

So yes, Lord Vader, it's good enough.

If you don't value your own time.

I just happen to be on the other side of the Force on this one.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Games + punishment = people leaving for other games.

If people who didn't want to spend $6 once in the entire life of a character leave, what exactly is the downside to PWE?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This forum keeps on crashing.

If I had to pay money for each time that I had to rewrite my post, I would not be part of these forums.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    "If people who didn't want to spend $6 once in the entire life of a character leave, what exactly is the downside to PWE?"

You fail to understand players who care about their characters.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 865 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure that if they change anything, they will force you to respec as in they will clear your talent tree and refund your points. After that, their other F2P games that offer a sub require $5-ish to respec for f2p. In STO, you got a token every named rank if you subbed IIRC, if you were a subscriber. After that, you paid $5-ish subscription or not. When a game is free to play, they make money off what we call nickel and dime. If everything were totally free, they wouldn't even be able to afford the staff to write it let alone run it. They have a lot that needs fixed before this leaves beta. Quite possibly, you will be tired of respeccing when it launches as production because of changes.
    Still disenchanted! No T6 Science for KDF and word is there never will be one!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    If people who didn't want to spend $6 once in the entire life of a character leave, what exactly is the downside to PWE?

Because the same people may have been willing to pay a reasonable price, along with purchase other microtransactions, had they not left.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The consequence (because it's a GAME) are that I spent my real life time finding out that I made the wrong choices.

My "bad" decision was to select from a range of options with limited to nill information and no experience in a GAME.

Now I have to pay either real life money or real life time to "fix" my "bad" decision.

I paid the price (because it's a GAME) with a less than optimal performance for my character (in the GAME) and want to change it. So I pay again in real life commodities to make my (GAME) life more enjoyable.

Yes, there are consequences and prices to be paid for poor - or uninformed - choices.

But its a GAME (GAME) and paying in real life commodities for "bad" choices created by artificial, un-knowable, and all too human decisions irks me.

So yes, Lord Vader, it's good enough.

If you don't value your own time.

I just happen to be on the other side of the Force on this one.

You don't have to pay.. You can grind for it or live with it.. :-)

It's always there... Waiting for you...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm. The instance that people must NOT have the character that they want, continues to confirm the inability to understand storytelling.

Really? So just how is you not having the character you want changing the story of NWO? Will my quests come out differently since you didn't get the character you wanted? Will some of the content cease to be available to me because you don't want to spend money or time to fix a mistake you made? No? Then how is your screwup indicative of me not understanding story telling? The story is going to continue with or with out you. The fact that you keep arguing from this position tells me that you want to be the absolute best powergamer you can be, and that's fine with me, but you also want to do it for free, and frankly, that's fine with me too. Of course, the fact that you can't do it for free means that you feel you're broken, and tells me that you don't want to work for it, but have it handed to you.
This discussion has been closed.