test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Great Weapon Fighter worst class

Comments

• unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited April 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    Just woke up and want to share this: 22 levels in after one day, the class is amazing, the game is awesome, I haven't bought a single potion yet as I pick up more than I use.

Now I give the floor back to whiners.

I'll bet you're using a Cleric NPC. In which case, your argument is moot. As GF, I can take as much damage that would kill your character four times over and STILL complete 3-4 quests without using any pots at about half health. And that's without a cleric, which I don't use on this class because, quite frankly, I don't need to. The GWF leaves itself open to far too much damage without any reliable means of mitigation thanks to the devs replacing wicked strike with reaping and nerfing the class' damage to less than a GF's.

If you honestly do know what the **** you're doing as a GWF, without a cleric crutch, you need to upload a video, and quick, since most of us are about to throw in the towel since Cryptic seems to want to keep playing the GWF a secret between them and God.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i have to say, without my companion im pretty much toast...my companion does a lot more damage than i do and takes a lot less damange LOL
  • gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Main problem is how slow they attack.

It's like the Dragon Age style, as though two handed swords weighed 20+ pounds (they didn't, most weighed under 5 pounds with many under even 3'ish, (at least speaking historically).
  • mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    wow i had to go check i always thought 2h swords would be really heavy, but apparently not
    http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html
  • jikjaxjikjax Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wow i had to go check i always thought 2h swords would be really heavy, but apparently not
    http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

Wow that's actually kind of cool information... Learned something new! Internet is actually useful sometimes apparently.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    GWF feels like a misguided puppy to me.

Rogues outdamage him.

GF outlive him.

He's the worst of both worlds.

Quoting the first reply of this thread I realsed it was worse than what the poster said. In fact:

"GWF feels like a misguided puppy to me.

GF outdamage him.

Rogues outlive him.

He's the worst of both worlds."

Not sure whether to end with a smiley or a weepy emote......
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I'll bet you're using a Cleric NPC. In which case, your argument is moot.

I'll bet you are using armor and a shield on your GF. In which case, your argument is moot.
  • divinehopedivinehope Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    I am starting to see more posts about how people suck at playing this class, but the fact of the matter is not everyone in this thread posting how terrible GWF are; suck. There is always that one guy (or gal) that comes out and says you are ALL doing it wrong and derails constructive criticism. I think people are misunderstanding something due to all the posts. So here are a few bullet points!
    • Who cares about leveling its a joke. Any class can do it regardless on how crappy the class is.
    • We need a CLEAR role from Cryptic, not this concocted stuff that players keep saying we are (NO WE ARE DEFENDER, NO DUMMY WE ARE A AoE STRIKER!!). Make it 100% clear to the playerbase.
    • 2nd bullet point would then put us in the right direction to getting us fixed.
    • Profit!
  • shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    lordkoven wrote: »
    i didnt like GWF either. he felt very slow and clunky. to futher frustrate me was that crappy healing strike, i had 1600 hp and i got 15 HP back, less then worthless

Sounds about right. Just coming from a game that had a similar skill that healed 20 hp every time i struck and i'm toting around 4k hp.
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
  • malvolio11malvolio11 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pavy1 wrote: »
    You must have a poorly made GWF then.... Im also lv25 and smoked the Wizard Frayin quest in ONE Tab buff skill... that's what 5 seconds? :P I've solo'd the darkclock or w/e instance - never had an issue on any bosses... sure solo'ing is tough, what do you want? a free max lvl char. Something you don't have to work for? Learn to play and build your class - I LOVE my GWF as I mentioned I was killing pretty easy in pvp and I don't have a def build... purely atk/crit/armor pene :) I kill faster than I can take dmg. Re-evaluate your character and what it needs before saying "this class sucks". My aoe dmg is pretty insane :) 1-2 hitting groups of normal mobs 4-6 mobs at a time. Nothing is wrong with this class- just the people crying about it.

There is only the guise of customization in the game. You cant poorly make anything, the offensive and defensive choices are fkn blatant and by that level you only have a few options. As gear goes yet again the choices are pretty obvious what are offensive and defensive choices.

The ranks are 10% damage at best and at that level the majority of your rotation is capped in ranks.

So long story short you have the same problems as everyone else you just don't actually care nor have you probably played the other classes to see what its like. I have yet to die between 1-25, I topped damage and kills in a few dungeons and skirmishes but I am capable of being unbiased I am fully aware of where the class is at I merely outplayed the other players. Had they been focusing as I was (tryhard) they would have easily surpassed. Just because I have succeeded doesn't mean I cant compare the experience to the other characters I have played.

The difference is that I have tasted the Rogue, Wizard, and GWF and so far they drastically surpass the GWF in both Solo grinding and grouping. The GWF brings nothing unique to the table, a melee class has to deal with far more dangerous situations therefore they should be compensated with higher damage because of this, every disconnect is a loss in dps yet the designers of this class put catch 22s on every single ability. Our "avoid" ability is the worst in the game and our mitigation is a joke. For being front line required class you get nothing for it but headaches and a subscription to health potions quarterly.
  • divinehopedivinehope Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    malvolio11 wrote: »
    The GWF brings nothing unique to the table, a melee class has to deal with far more dangerous situations therefore they should be compensated with higher damage because of this, every disconnect is a loss in dps yet the designers of this class put catch 22s on every single ability. Our "avoid" ability is the worst in the game and our mitigation is a joke. For being front line required class you get nothing for it but headaches and a subscription to health potions quarterly.

You bring up a good point about disconnects, this is a much bigger problem in PvP atm, but none the less you sir are 100% correct. Our DPS uptime on mobs is quite terrible. We are quite slow and clunky. However, we get more movement skills later on (which I think is far to late). Most people would probably give up on the class before than. GWF really has no lasting power (or wow factor) in the eyes of the gamer. I did however roll a GW and found it quite boring. Go figure...
  • darkstarmjpdarkstarmjp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I played a rogue up to 39 and great weapon fight to 24 and the gwp feels so under powered in comparison. When I'm in dungeons and skirmishes I'm getting like 3 x more dps than the gwp in our party it's insane.
  • jestal1jestal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    divinehope wrote: »
    I am starting to see more posts about how people suck at playing this class, but the fact of the matter is not everyone in this thread posting how terrible GWF are; suck. There is always that one guy (or gal) that comes out and says you are ALL doing it wrong and derails constructive criticism. I think people are misunderstanding something due to all the posts. So here are a few bullet points!
    • Who cares about leveling its a joke. Any class can do it regardless on how crappy the class is.
    • We need a CLEAR role from Cryptic, not this concocted stuff that players keep saying we are (NO WE ARE DEFENDER, NO DUMMY WE ARE A AoE STRIKER!!). Make it 100% clear to the playerbase.
    • 2nd bullet point would then put us the right direction to getting us fixed.
    • Profit!

Exactly. Its not balanced in relation to the other classes, but all classes can finish the quests.
  • unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited April 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    I'll bet you are using armor and a shield on your GF. In which case, your argument is moot.

Not really. I'm able to get by using my classes abilities. You have to have outside help from an NPC because the abilities of the GWF just don't cut it. Also, by your logic, since you use Unstoppable and Chain mail, you're even worse off. Keep digging man, you'll hit rock bottom eventually.
  • pavy1pavy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's great, but I can make my GF do more DPS than yours with less effort and be able to take more damage. You struggle to make your abilities even APPROACH HALF of your weapon's natural damage, mine easily do 100%+. You have to have a Cleric bot follow you around. I can solo. Sprint is bar none the WORST tactical ability out of ANY other class. You have to wait 30-50 levels to become VIABLE. Every other class is viable from the start. My AoE ability does more damage than your single target. With inferior weapon damage and base power.

Point being, a class should not have to wait 30+ levels to be viable. This class needs a damage buff, pure and simple. When a GWF's SINGLE TARGET (sure strike) ability, using a two handed weapon with twice the damage of a GF's one handed long sword is doing less damage than the GF's AoE (cleave) ability... There is a huge problem.

I understand issues - but JUST for this reason I made a lv25 elf rogue to see the difference in DPS.... my lv25 GWF>Rogue in dps, took me full rank5-6 radiants to match the atk of my GWF who had like 3 rank5's that's all.... He also cleared rooms 2x faster being pure aoe :) I seen for myself the PVE advantage of him. Never had an issue solo'ing doing PVE - I solo'd cloakwatch at lv22. So to say I have issues- I am kindly correcting you. Never seen an issue - as for GF vs GWF - I could also match your def and maintain high dps + aoes :P as I said - solo'd party dungeons at lv22 -.- obv the issue isn't the class it's the people trying to make it their way.
    edited April 2013
    I understand issues - but JUST for this reason I made a lv25 elf rogue to see the difference in DPS.... my lv25 GWF>Rogue in dps, took me full rank5-6 radiants to match the atk of my GWF who had like 3 rank5's that's all.... He also cleared rooms 2x faster being pure aoe :) I seen for myself the PVE advantage of him. Never had an issue solo'ing doing PVE - I solo'd cloakwatch at lv22. So to say I have issues- I am kindly correcting you. Never seen an issue - as for GF vs GWF - I could also match your def and maintain high dps + aoes :P as I said - solo'd party dungeons at lv22 -.- obv the issue isn't the class it's the people trying to make it their way.

No you didn't and no you didn't. There is no way you solo'd a party dungeon without spending a fortune in pots. If you had an NPC cleric with you, you weren't soloing. And the hell is Cloak Watch? You mean the Cloak Tower? That's a level 15 dungeon. If you solo'd it at level 22, I'm not impressed, since your gear went up a tier at level 20 and far and away outstrips ANYTHING you can get in your teens. GWF's don't have the DPS, and you trying to tell me a GWF has as much damage as a TR? No they don't. In an AoE situation, sure, but it takes at least 3 + mobs for a GWF to equal a TR's single target DPS. I've gotten every class outside of the Control Wizard and Devoted Cleric to level 20+. The dps of the GWF is no where near that of the rogue.

Secondly, you cannot match a GF's defense. Period. GF's have a shield which allows them to completely negate any and all damage in front of them. GWF's eat damage. They might be able to get the armor stat of a GF, but, again, a GF can easily surpass yours since that is what the class does.

You can make all the claims you want, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and you claiming to have hit some sort of holy grail while a couple thousand other people are saying otherwise about the GWF... You need proof. You have none.
  • mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    piku247 wrote: »
    Well this class sucks in pvp when have to be in front, die first and most time. No stun/frezze skills just stay and wait for die. Seriously this class cant be slower than actually is. Even his attacks aren't powerfull... this is a great weapon fighter for god's sake not a turtle...

I actually think the GWF is fun to play. But here is the problem - THE DPS SUCKS. I am talking bottom of the barrel. We are out DPSed by tanks. I am not even joking. Owned by every class in PVP. You dont believe me look at the stats of the GWFs in PvP. Abysmal. I would love to play it, but I have shelved mine after 22 levels in favor of one of the only 2 good pvp classes - TR and CW.
    edited April 2013
    Fair point but why would a tank standing in front of the mobs out dps a GWF standing in front of mobs? In other words, all things being equal, GF does way more damage than GWF. Thats a problem.
  • soulg123soulg123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Haha, no you didn't. Obvious lies are obvious.
  • bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Important thread to keep at the top of the page
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I actually think the GWF is fun to play. But here is the problem - THE DPS SUCKS. I am talking bottom of the barrel. We are out DPSed by tanks. I am not even joking. Owned by every class in PVP. You dont believe me look at the stats of the GWFs in PvP. Abysmal. I would love to play it, but I have shelved mine after 22 levels in favor of one of the only 2 good pvp classes - TR and CW.

22 whole levels, man you really got a good grip on the classes capabilities after 22 whole levels!

Stick w/ it a bit longer tiger, the class is a powerhouse.
  • endofarendofar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    after playing my gwf to lvl 26 i can't see why there should be a reason to complain about the class so far.
    dps-wise i've often been 2nd (after a trickster usually) in 5-mans, with a new weapon it probably gets only better.
    So i don't feel that there is a need for more dps so far (at least till that lvl^^).

A bit more thread would be good. Solo the cleric-companion pulls aggro of me sometimes (with her healing).
    In 5mans i only get aggro if i go for a mob alone.
    Doesn't feel like i ever pulled aggro from new incoming trash, even if i go for it as soon as they appear.
    Only exception is when i trigger slam.
    So more thread would be nice if we are supposed to be the occasionally aoe-defender. (And to clarify: i don't want to much aggro. Just enough to get aggro in aoe-situations, but to little to pull it from the gf single-target)

And it's a bit sad that i intentionally have to stay in damage-zones to get determination (of course only if it is pure damage i get and the group is fine otherwise^^). Guess that only changes with the last points in Destroyer-Path

The biggest change that affects gameplay for me so far is the time when you can ditch that annoying and useless reaping strike. Makes playing hugely more fun and fluid when you replace it with wicked strike and get you're freedom of moving back :-P

I haven't died a single time playing solo or in 5mans.
    PvP is the only place where i died so far^^

Now i'm anticipating the coming lvls with my gwf instead of dreading them (like i did before due to reading the complaining about the class here on the forum) :)
    edited April 2013
    endofar wrote: »
    after playing my gwf to lvl 26 i can't see why there should be a reason to complain about the class so far.
    dps-wise i've often been 2nd (after a trickster usually) in 5-mans, with a new weapon it probably gets only better.
    So i don't feel that there is a need for more dps so far (at least till that lvl^^).

A bit more thread would be good. Solo the cleric-companion pulls aggro of me sometimes (with her healing).
    Doesn't feel like i ever pulled aggro from new incoming trash, even if i go for it as soon as they appear.
    So more thread would be nice if we are supposed to be the occasionally aoe-defender. (And to clarify: i don't want to much aggro. Just enough to get aggro in aoe-situations, but to little to pull it from the gf single-target)

And it's a bit sad that i intentionally have to stay in damage-zones to get determination (of course only if it is pure damage i get and the group is fine otherwise^^). Guess that only changes with the last points in Destroyer-Path

The biggest change that affects gameplay for me so far is the time when you can ditch that annoying and useless reaping strike. Makes playing hugely more fun and fluid when you replace it with wicked strike and get you're freedom of moving back :-P

Now i'm anticipating the coming lvls with my gwf instead of dreading them (like i did before due to reading the complaining about the class here on the forum) :)

GWF's have the worst damage modifiers on their abilities out of any other class. The fact you haven't died means you're swigging pots/had a friend helping/have been using an NPC companion. Every other class can solo comfortably until level 30. GWF can't. When a GF using a one handed sword with half the damage of your two handed great sword gets as good a damage modifier/better damage modifier as your abilities on a shorter CD, there's a problem. Under no circumstance should a one handed class using a shield hit as hard as a two handed class that must sacrifice defense in order to have offense. I understand that GWF's get better at level 20+. I've seen the videos.

However, the early levels are an absolute nightmare for the GWF. Reaping strike is a terrible move. GWF's have no mitigation unlike the TR/GF/CW and must eat every hit that comes our way.
  • hellfinger69hellfinger69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi,

I'm french, so i can try to speak english

So, i play a Guardian Fighter. (lvl 32, full dps build, max Critical Strike
    and Power)
    The classe is very fun but dps not fun ^^
    Unfortunately this is the truth.
    We are useless! Please do a small adjustment.
    Last dps behind the Cleric, Mage, Tank, all the classes. (I don't speak of Rogue, it's not necessary ^^ )

Imo, when i will reach the final level (60) my dps will not improve dramastically ...
  • endofarendofar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The fact you haven't died means you're swigging pots/had a friend helping/have been using an NPC companion. Every other class can solo comfortably until level 30. GWF can't.
    so you want to tell me that gwf is the only class that uses companions?

No i don't have a friend healing me when playing solo.
    i alternate between cleric and wolf as companion (switch when one lvls). Sure i have to take a pot now and than when the cleric isn't out, but i don't chugg them constantly, never had to (except maybe in two fights).
    And with the amount of pots we get while playing thats fine. So far i didn't had to buy additional, so no complain from me there.

And before lvl 16 i had to use even less pots than now with my wolf out (i sold between 40 and 60 of the smallest healing-pots to the npc when i switched to the bigger ones).
    I can't and i never will expect a melee-dps(ish) class to not rely on pots when playing solo (with a dps-companion).

And in dungeons i rarely use pots as i mostly take little damage (except when staying in the red to get determination or using slam in big aoe-groups)
    Every other class can solo comfortably until level 30
    the early levels are an absolute nightmare for the GWF.
    Never felt like a nightmare to me. As long as i stepped out of the big attacks i had little problems with mobs.
    I did feel comfortably with the class even in the early lvls (definition <lvl16 for me) and overall it didn't feel slow.

Except for this:
    Reaping strike is a terrible move.
    can only support that.
    Delete reaping strike and replace it with wicked strike.
    There is no reason to be bound to a place for 3 second (except when you're a ranged-class and use a long-range ability).
    edited April 2013
    endofar wrote: »

My guess is you havent played another class to the same level. Level ANY other class to the same level and you will see how weak the GWF is. And to all of you saying that tired old line " just get to 60!" - screw that. Not only is that unnacceptable to me as I have to actually play the game until then in a weakened state compared to other classes, but the fact of the matter is the GWF continues to suck at 60! There are plenty of streams and youtube videos out there of high level GWF play, and they still come in behind CW and TR.
  • piku247piku247 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, i started this topic so today, no matter what i still want to play a GWF, but as i saw, everyone is still complaining about weakness of this clas. Conclusion is that, they didnt change anything and this is still, worst class in this game. Sadly...
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What I don't understand is the people who say that GWF is fine or even OP(!) during the leveling process. I can't comment about endgame but during leveling (at least to 30) it is seriously outmatched by any other class. You only need to try playing through the first 20 or so levels with the classes to see this fact clearly.

Which leads me to imagine that most of the posts saying that GWF is fine (at least for lower levels) are either trolls or simply people who want to keep their class being (much) better than GWFs.
  • airasbrairasbr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What I love about GWF.... Lvl 25: Weapon Damage: 200-250 .... 1400 Power (40 Dmg) + 23 Str (11% Dmg)
    Skill Damage: 100.... For some reason the GWF can do less damage than the weapon base damage!!! They really do the impossible, maybe that's why they're so great!
  • cowcowoinkcowcowoink Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I followed someone's post on here about what points to put in to up to level 39 and what to use. I had already used said skills but changed my points around as I didn't have nearly half of what he did. I wanted to split tanky/dps and it just wasn't working to kill things in any quick fashion. I was around 28 at the time. I am now 41 and have found it to be a huge change in dps. I am normally top or second in groups, even with a CW or trickster around. Another GWF was with me got first by 10k damage over me and he was doing pretty much everything I was doing. The class does suffer a bit under 30 but starts to gain ground after that. Do some dungeons, get some blue gear, don't bother with ArmPen and just stack Power > Def > Crit and do dungeons while the dungeon event is going on for a sure blue piece of gear.
This discussion has been closed.