test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Great Weapon Fighter worst class

Comments

• Options
    extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    kharnagex wrote: »
    don't see it yet, GWF should outdmg my rogue, and still hasn't happened on BW4 yet not by a longshot. like i said i'm either getting grouped with terribad GWF players or that class needs a serious buff in dmg.

GWF damage output got nerfed across the board for bw4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • Options
    guchooguchoo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i think this class is good enough
    If you want peace,prepare for war!
  • Options
    thralgafthralgaf Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ive had zero issues with my GWF in pve or pvp. Im usually close behind tricksters in both pvp and dungeons. Place your points carefully.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah gwf is to weak but instead buffing it they nerf it even more,:mad:
  • Options
    kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    thralgaf wrote: »
    Ive had zero issues with my GWF in pve or pvp. Im usually close behind tricksters in both pvp and dungeons. Place your points carefully.

see i can't say anything pvp wise, just doesn't interest me, but in BW3 and 4 i've had 0 GWF outdmg my TR but i argue the point and i'm the special one apparently lol. I don't even play the damned class (until they have a variety of great weapons out there, dwarves look dumb with a greatsword) and i want it buffed. It should be doing at least 50% more dmg in the dungeon as a whole, yet I consistently out damage them by minimum 25% on my meh i don't want to try moods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Dunno what to tell you. I was number one dmg in Cragmire an hour ago. Seriously. Im wondering if some folks are not using unstoppable + wicked strike, with points in determination? You go determ 3/3, crit %2/3, and then left mouse wicked strike and right mouse the first at will aoe (not the slow one that has a channel bar), combine it with steel (the jump in the air aoe daily) and you just wreck <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I am not trolling, just not seeing the disparity.
  • Options
    vaultfairyvaultfairy Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I played as a GWF in the level 25 dungeon and i was at the bottom for damage dealt.. Even the cleric beat me. I thought i was doing well :(
  • Options
    sirnamedsirnamed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    They can be built to output a lot of damage but there is no way a GWF can compete with the DPS of a TR, when comparing two players using the classes equally well. Perhaps a terrible or very lazy TR could be beaten...
    For those saying GWF should be doing more DPS than a TR, can I ask why you think this? GWF is still considered a (offensively orriented, threat generating) Defender class, whereas TR is a Striker. Strikers will always do more DPS; they're designed to do so.
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think the most helpful thing players could do on this, and the other GWF threads, is post their builds and gear so that the devs can have a more accurate view of why some say its bad and others say its good. It appears, to me, to be a build and playstyle issue due to the discrepancies. The ones I partied with wrecked shop, and I saw quite a few in the open world tearing through mobs with ease. Granted, I did not pvp this BWE, but past experience has taught me that Cryptic, no offense, is not the best at pvp balance (at least initially).

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think most of the problems with differing views has a lot to do with levels.

At low levels GWF is really bad. Poor survivability and damage.
    Later on they get better abilities that helps make them a much better class.

The problem here is that this is a F2P MMO and most people will only play a few levels and if it doesn't "feel" right they are more inclined to /delete and re-roll or /delete and uninstall.
    Whereas in subscription based games people are more inclined to stick it out and play through their monthly sub and eventually find out that the class gets better.

It really would help GWF out if they made some minor changes (juggle abilities around, whatever) to make the class more appealing at lower levels to retain some interest in it.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    zanixiuszanixius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Played GWF in BW3 and in BW4, managed to get up to lvl 36. I always ensured that my gear was within 2-3 lvls of my current one as best I could. I enchanted my gear with highest ranked damage-oriented stones I could and took the chance in BW4 to respec to what I thought would have been a solid DPS build with a good mix of Determination-generating for survivability.

The results were abysmal to say the least.

I by no means consider myself to be some hardcore MLG-wannabe but I like to think I'm somewhat a veteran MMO player. Seasoned raider and an experienced PvP'er in games like SWTOR, GW2, fairly highly rated Arena in WoW etc. So before some say this is just a case of "LOL2P" I sincerely doubt it.

What I learned in PvP was that GWF simply doesn't stand out. Between Clerics heals, mobility and light CC and Guardians ability to take brutal punishment with the blocking mechanic and passive AC, both have great survivability. Control Wizard have the blatantly overpowered ability to virtually CC someone from full to dead or kite endlessly. And Trickster Rogues can burst someone down in a matter of seconds or disengage at will and escape pretty much any situation.

So if GWF isn't supposed to have the survivability of a healing Cleric or the resilience of a tanky Guardian, with even less DPS then either, or have the CC capabilities of a Control Wizard or lacks the raw damage of a Trickster Rogue then what exactly are GWF supposed to do, what niche do they fill (besides offer the opposing team a free kill)? Many of these classes simply have 2 of these 3 aspects: survivability, mobility, CC and DPS. GWF poorly tries to dabble in them all and fails horribly at it.

What GWF needs is the ability to fill a role and do it well. While it has tremendous mobility, it is pointless if you can't lock a target down once you get to him. This is assuming if you managed to actually fill your Determination up to not get CC'ed into the ground. And if you actually get to one, manage to get them proned or snared, its of no consequence as our damage is laughable. There is no reason anyone but a Guardian holding up block should be able to go toe-to-toe with a class who specializes in wielding a massive blade of cold, hard steel that is so heavy, so great, that it needs two hands to swing around. Ridiculous.

So GWF needs to be clearly defined. Are we tanks? Then give us some more ways to mitigate damage and actually outlast other classes like Clerics and Guardians can. Are we CC'ers? Then how about some at-wills that actually spam snares or something? Are we DPS? By having to chase around targets constant how about we get some legit burst abilities instead of hoping their entire team will huddle in one place for 2 minutes to do as much DPS as a Trickster Rogue does to someone within a matter of seconds?

TL;DR GWF is having a crisis of identity, unsure of what role it is supposed to fill, abysmally performing in all three cores of a trinity system; lacking survivability, crowd control and DPS while every other class excels in at least 2 of these 3.
  • Options
    jamescoskerjamescosker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zanixius wrote: »
    Played GWF in BW3 and in BW4, managed to get up to lvl 36. I always ensured that my gear was within 2-3 lvls of my current one as best I could. I enchanted my gear with highest ranked damage-oriented stones I could and took the chance in BW4 to respec to what I thought would have been a solid DPS build with a good mix of Determination-generating for survivability.

The results were abysmal to say the least.

I by no means consider myself to be some hardcore MLG-wannabe but I like to think I'm somewhat a veteran MMO player. Seasoned raider and an experienced PvP'er in games like SWTOR, GW2, fairly highly rated Arena in WoW etc. So before some say this is just a case of "LOL2P" I sincerely doubt it.

What I learned in PvP was that GWF simply doesn't stand out. Between Clerics heals, mobility and light CC and Guardians ability to take brutal punishment with the blocking mechanic and passive AC, both have great survivability. Control Wizard have the blatantly overpowered ability to virtually CC someone from full to dead or kite endlessly. And Trickster Rogues can burst someone down in a matter of seconds or disengage at will and escape pretty much any situation.

So if GWF isn't supposed to have the survivability of a healing Cleric or the resilience of a tanky Guardian, with even less DPS then either, or have the CC capabilities of a Control Wizard or lacks the raw damage of a Trickster Rogue then what exactly are GWF supposed to do, what niche do they fill (besides offer the opposing team a free kill)? Many of these classes simply have 2 of these 3 aspects: survivability, mobility, CC and DPS. GWF poorly tries to dabble in them all and fails horribly at it.

What GWF needs is the ability to fill a role and do it well. While it has tremendous mobility, it is pointless if you can't lock a target down once you get to him. This is assuming if you managed to actually fill your Determination up to not get CC'ed into the ground. And if you actually get to one, manage to get them proned or snared, its of no consequence as our damage is laughable. There is no reason anyone but a Guardian holding up block should be able to go toe-to-toe with a class who specializes in wielding a massive blade of cold, hard steel that is so heavy, so great, that it needs two hands to swing around. Ridiculous.

So GWF needs to be clearly defined. Are we tanks? Then give us some more ways to mitigate damage and actually outlast other classes like Clerics and Guardians can. Are we CC'ers? Then how about some at-wills that actually spam snares or something? Are we DPS? By having to chase around targets constant how about we get some legit burst abilities instead of hoping their entire team will huddle in one place for 2 minutes to do as much DPS as a Trickster Rogue does to someone within a matter of seconds?

TL;DR GWF is having a crisis of identity, unsure of what role it is supposed to fill, abysmally performing in all three cores of a trinity system; lacking survivability, crowd control and DPS while every other class excels in at least 2 of these 3.

What a read you do understand that this is not a pvp game though right ?
    I agree to what your saying about pvp but in pve you dont get cced at all.
  • Options
    smokeygbsmokeygb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited April 2013
    But in PvP you tend to get selected and CC'd near constantly. Unstoppable is Immunity if you have it up but if not combat can become very frustrating.
  • Options
    zanixiuszanixius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Regardless whether it is in PvE or PvP, GWF still is clueless as to what role it is to fill.

With what little threat-generating mechanics we have, it can hardly hold aggro well enough to be ever be a primary tank, which is fine whatever. But it also lacks any real on-demand spike-threat abilities to even be considered a viable secondary "off tank".

Ok so leave the tanking to Guardians fine, what about damage? Our single-point DPS is non-existent. Trash is easy enough to simply mow down from range and assuming they live long enough in a well coordinated group, they can simply be focused down by a rogue, two make quick work of entire waves within seconds. So we're supposed to AoE everything and thats it, well thats pretty pointless for a boss fight, don't need an off tank and we only AoE DPS, so why take a GWF when you can just take another rogue?

Erm, well how about CC then? Control Wizards keeping things perpetually locked down, while Rogues can CC long enough to relieve pressure in a pinch and between Clerics snares, roots and mobility, can kite endlessly. So its arguable that a tanky Guardian is even needed once people get skilled enough, much less the lackluster, limited CC a GWF attempts at.

So again, GWF tries dabbling in each of these areas and fails horribly at each while other classes tend to excel in at least two of these areas, making them strong within their assigned roles.
  • Options
    itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So how many of you went down the Destroyer paragon tree? That looks to me to be the single target spec for DPS and CC?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    vernednd wrote: »
    I think the most helpful thing players could do on this, and the other GWF threads, is post their builds and gear so that the devs can have a more accurate view of why some say its bad and others say its good. It appears, to me, to be a build and playstyle issue due to the discrepancies. The ones I partied with wrecked shop, and I saw quite a few in the open world tearing through mobs with ease. Granted, I did not pvp this BWE, but past experience has taught me that Cryptic, no offense, is not the best at pvp balance (at least initially).

Cheers!

I will try and help out here. I am going off of memory, and am not a big fan of the talent calculator sites, as I have been hacked through them.
    I put 2/3 points in the first at will power (cone aoe).
    1 point in the crappy slow channeled aoe
    3 points in jump in the air crash down aoe daily (I put zip in the spinning aoe attack).
    2 points in the build dmg % when attacking mobs passive. (This was probably a mistake and would have been corrected later with a respec as I wanted to build the passive % to crit in tier two).
    3 points in takedown
    3 points in restorative strike
    3/3 in crit % passive
    3/3 in determination
    2/3 in wicked strike, and this is far as I levelled.

My thought process-GWF are an aoe class, so I wanted to build off of that obviously. I remapped wicked strike to left mouse button, and the first cone aoe to right mouse button. Wicked strike hits mobs in a 290 degree area, so I built unstoppable fast (with 3/3 determ it takes no time), and then used wicked strike (which is now twice as fast with unstoppable) to hit everything in a 290 degree area. When unstoppable wears off, I switched to frontal cone aoe, which is a quicker attack, and positioned myself to maximize damage. When daily was up, I would use the jump in air aoe for huge aoe or even single target hits, and used restorative strike and takedown as often as they were up. The key here really is getting points in determination so your unstoppable (excuse me if thats the wrong description) bar is full as often as possible, so you can really speed up your aoe area/cone attacks. This was my build philosophy, and it worked like a charm solo after level 15 (the only time I needed pots with my cleric companion was when i was in the graveyard, and this was an under-levelled issue, really). Grishnath Heavy-hand (my half-orc GWF) was a beast in dungeons, and pretty **** good in domination pvp. The only time I failed in damage in pvp was when I ran off solo alot like a nub. as far as the dungeons, I had quite a few folks inquiring about my setup. not bragging here, but people really were amazed at my damage at the end of runs. I am not a min-maxer, or a theory crafter-I just took the time to realyl strategize my build and work off of the strength of the class. one thing I will point out, is that this toon did not really come into his own until post level 12.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    One other thing I would like to point out-I had a conversation about restorative strike with a guy, and based off of his questions, I am wondering if people under estimated this power because of its lackluster heal. It's really not about the heal (although its can come in handy). Restorative strike is a bread and butter attack that hits very hard. max it imo. Same with takedown.
  • Options
    nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thralgaf wrote: »
    One other thing I would like to point out-I had a conversation about restorative strike with a guy, and based off of his questions, I am wondering if people under estimated this power because of its lackluster heal. It's really not about the heal (although its can come in handy). Restorative strike is a bread and butter attack that hits very hard. max it imo. Same with takedown.

I was also very satisfied with the Restorative Strike damage! The healing part of it is just stupid. They need to just scrap the healing aspect and add a .25s stun or something. The healing part of the skill doesn't even go with the GWF style. He is a knockdown, interrupt, pushback, aoe fighter.

Get rid of the pathetic heal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and add something useful.
  • Options
    silverdovesilverdove Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry, still sticking with the saying, give us the D&D classes not the templates within the classes. Makes the game so much better. Then the GWF can switch out his two handed weapon for a sword and board or two swords.
  • Options
    erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    silverdove wrote: »
    Sorry, still sticking with the saying, give us the D&D classes not the templates within the classes. Makes the game so much better. Then the GWF can switch out his two handed weapon for a sword and board or two swords.

If you had talents, ability points and everything else up this game would get released on 2087 lol XD
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I liked having a gwf in my party for dungeons. I think they work great against boss adds.
  • Options
    darkstarx3darkstarx3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    GWF feels like a misguided puppy to me.

Rogues outdamage him.

GF outlive him.

He's the worst of both worlds.

lets prey they give GWF 100% more dmg and 50% more defense put him on par survival and kill wise with TR. as many have said this class for a striker is extremely weak dps like hitting with nerf bat and survival skill is even worse then that of everyone else..
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah i hoped gwf will be able to be close or better then rouges in total damage in dungeons since it had a lot of aoes ,so i though they will do big damage+ gwf will have nice single target dps ,but it dont have any of that ,so that class for now only slow dawn dungeons if u have it in party :/ so in the end game dungeons none will wont it in party so playing whit it will be hard if u dont have a lot friends which will take u in party since u are their friend ,finding party in chat will be impossible or will take a lot of time
  • Options
    rawnzimmrawnzimm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am well aware of how to play my GWF and have no issues dealing alot of dmg. I am maximizing my dmg and when playing in pugs most of the time I am near the top of the list. But when playing with friends both my TR and CW friends are dominating my dmg in dungeons.
    We played upto lvl 30 or so and while soloing is not hard at all. Comparison of how fast they can kill groups compared to me it is not a fair match. Both TR and CW are much stronger in dmg than the GWF. The amount of aoe the CW pushes out is ridiculous while their single target dmg is still very good. TR has amazing single target dmg which means they are able to down targets much faster than I can.

The normal mobs regardless of the class die in 1-4 hits it seems.
    But the elites compared to TR/CW take me forever to kill.

Our dungeon numbers the CW and TR are within 50k of each other generally and I'm about 150k off the 2nd placed dmg each time.
    The longer the group of mobs last the further down in dmg I get.

We've even tested under level dungeon. So at lvl 22 we went against a lvl 28 gwf in a lvl 25 dungeon. My CW friend completely dominated the GWF where I was still about 150 off him. My friend another 150k above him being 6 levels lower.

It is impossible for GWF to be comparable in dmg to CW or TR right now.
    And those of you saying we are strong at AoE dmg you have clearly not tried any of the other classes.
    The GWF survivability I think is perfect where it is at but as our dmg is currently calling us a striker is a joke.

Also I would be up for making determination grow a little faster (when you have the being in combat builds determination feats)
    Oh and make the heal on the restorative strike higher or on a lower cooldown.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it is a misunderstanding of the class. A GWF should never kill an elite as fast as a rogue. Strikers do single target damage, GWF is not a striker. They are a Defender with a lot of controller elements. Controllers do AoE damage and control. Sounds to me like the GWF is working exactly as it should.

Also most of the videos that I see with people playing a GWF are not the best damage builds, not even by a mile. I think people just need to learn more about them and understand better the class and what synergies are there. It amazes me when all I see is Wicked Strike spam when Reaping Strike is far more damage. Especially when you take the right feats to go with it.
  • Options
    saviorgunsaviorgun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    People got to level 30 and think they know all about the class and judge it from pvp? As a 50 rogue and 50 gwf yes the rogue does more damage... it is a dps class. gwFIGHTER is a defender... a tank basically. Does good aoe damage and can control adds. It is an off tank class with some ability to do decent damage. Anyone rolling it thinking you were getting a Ret Paladin from WoW need to read on D&D rules on what a defender does. basically most people complaining did content to level 30 thinking they saw all the class can do. That is just ridiculously silly.
    Rhek-60 GWF <Folklore>. "Rheking" damage meters since launch. Follow my streamwww.mmominds.com
  • Options
    rawnzimmrawnzimm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The class was listed as a striker, not as a defender.
    What part of the class is controlling? I have 1 knock down and 1 aoe slow (which btw the aoe slow is not even noticeable).
    Nothing about that is controlling.

At no point did I mention I am thinking its a Ret Pally, if anything it should act like an arms warrior. As that is generally the idea. You wield large weapons which in no way is ideal for defending.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rawnzimm wrote: »
    The class was listed as a striker, not as a defender.
    What part of the class is controlling? I have 1 knock down and 1 aoe slow (which btw the aoe slow is not even noticeable).
    Nothing about that is controlling.

At no point did I mention I am thinking its a Ret Pally, if anything it should act like an arms warrior. As that is generally the idea. You wield large weapons which in no way is ideal for defending.

I am assuming by control he means he can keep aggro as an off tank. This is probably true.

I do disagree its only intended role is as off tank though. It has been clearly stated the GWF is a massive damage dealer with damage in line with rogues. It just wasn't at that point in BW4 though. So I expect one of three things. The GWF scales incredibly well at 60, the GWF will get buffed, or the TR will get nerfed. It could be a mix of all three.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Upto lvl 30 there is next to no aggro generation from GWF. There are tons of forum posts about the threat issues.
    At no point in time was I able to pull aggro off of my CW friend when he pulled aggro unless he were to stop dps completely.
    If I was meant to be a tank I should have threat generating skills or feats that offered higher generation.
This discussion has been closed.