test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Guide] Companion info and a bit of a guide

Comments

• Options
    hbcbandit007hbcbandit007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Very helpuful. Thanks!
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jaynpc wrote: »
    devoted cleric with a cleric companion, is that a good combo?

Personally, I say you might be worrying too much. The Devoted Cleric did get a self-healing nerf a ways back, but it got fixed to a middle position and I would say your main problem now is not your hit points, its your aggro.

I would recommend the Man at Arms, which has the rep of being pretty good at threat and aggro control, or a DPS companion like the Sellsword or Mercenary. If you have the Zen or diamonds, the Daleb Guhr, an earth elemental, is going to keep mobs off you so you can AoE them while healing yourself and your companion.
  • Options
    bblondiabblondia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 31
    edited April 2013
    Hey everyone! It's getting close now!! Just a question about the panther companion... I believe I have read that we get access to it at level one.. I bought my pack after bw4 so I haven't played the game at all. When is the earliest I can access all my goodies fom the HotN pack? And how do I do it?
  • Options
    rictor77rictor77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bblondia wrote: »
    Hey everyone! It's getting close now!! Just a question about the panther companion... I believe I have read that we get access to it at level one.. I bought my pack after bw4 so I haven't played the game at all. When is the earliest I can access all my goodies fom the HotN pack? And how do I do it?

Not sure if you can use the panther at level 16 like a regular companion or at level 1.

You can access all the goodies by going to the mailbox in Protector's Enclave. Just open the map and look for the mail sign =)

See ya in game!
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future."
    "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously.":)
  • Options
    bblondiabblondia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 31
    edited April 2013
    rictor77 wrote: »
    Not sure if you can use the panther at level 16 like a regular companion or at level 1.

You can access all the goodies by going to the mailbox in Protector's Enclave. Just open the map and look for the mail sign =)

See ya in game!
    Thanks rictor!!! I'll just wait in the level access to panther if anyone knows. Can't wait to play!!!
  • Options
    aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    il note and ask, the Ioun stone(blue from zen) currently gives all its stats to the character, doesnt seem to be class based or magic required, just simple crit to crit, recovery to recovery, life steal to life steal, etc. The cat was the same with a base amount of recovery and crit, although it granted all stats.
    I assume the cat is a bug and its only suppose to give crit and recovery from its items only,
    however is the blue Ioun stone able to be used to gain all stats for a TR,GWF,Cleric,GF?
  • Options
    zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rictor77 wrote: »

See ya in game!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the companions are not tied to a level. It just happens to be that you get your first free companion at level 16. Which means you can use a companion as soon as you get hold of it. When it comes to the part if you can use it at level 1 it all depends on how you aquire it. If its sent in the mail like the founders title you will not be able to use it at level 1 since you have no access to a mail box until you reach protectors enclave. If you can claim it from the Zen store I'm pretty sure you can start using it at level 1.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    bblondia wrote: »
    Thanks rictor!!! I'll just wait in the level access to panther if anyone knows. Can't wait to play!!!

There's very little information on the panther. We don't actually know what class it is yet, either. :) But ... just one more day and we will find out at least some answers! *excited!*
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    jinnixijinnixi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    This means if you really like your white quality cleric you can make her just as strong as the higher quality companions by purchasing her rank ups in game.

i love this feature no one will feel left out when someone brags about there purple companion
    fs.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    jinnixi wrote: »
    i love this feature no one will feel left out when someone brags about there purple companion

The only thing I havent seen any clarification on is that the purple companions I've seen have 3 skills, while the white/blue companions have 2 skills. Will upgrading them to purple give them one extra skill?
  • Options
    jinnixijinnixi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    the purple companions I've seen have 3 skills, while the white/blue companions have 2 skills. Will upgrading them to purple give them one extra skill?

my guess is yes but it'll be like an empty skill slot
    they will have skill books for companions in which you could teach them a 3rd skill?? maybe??

or they will get a new 3rd skill

or maybe they will be left with just 2 skills in wich players will rage about
    fs.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    jinnixi wrote: »
    my guess is yes but it'll be like an empty skill slot
    they will have skill books for companions in which you could teach them a 3rd skill?? maybe??

or they will get a new 3rd skill

or maybe they will be left with just 2 skills in wich players will rage about

I think they would have to have a skill already set, because if they get to pick among skills I bet people would rage about that too :p
    Also we dont know what the cost to upgrade is. You have to go from white -> green -> blue -> purple right? And if its anything like the mounts it will be several millions of AD.

I guess we will get all our answers soon enough, headstart starts tomorrow!
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Companions will be in your mailbox waiting for you when you get out of the tutorial at level 4. If you want to buy one, you can also do that at level 4. Companions are not level restricted.

Comoanions with a third skill acquire that skill at rank 30, and it is a passive or proc that buffs one of their other powers. So they don't get a third attack per se.
  • Options
    rainbowheartrainbowheart Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2013
    Info about the founder pack companions (HotN and Guardian)

Panther - Purple - 3 skills - rank 1

Dire wolf - Purple - 3 skills - rank 1

were confirmed via pm by the dev member:
    sominator
  • Options
    desthatdesthat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What about the angel companion. Has anyone test it?
  • Options
    hexigenhexigen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if you can unbind and sell, im sure they have locked preorder companions or can you just create a bunch of characters, unbind panthers & flood the market?
  • Options
    azrael4271azrael4271 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It would be awesome if you could unbind the panther. I want a jungle cat companion but didn't have 200.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    azrael4271 wrote: »
    It would be awesome if you could unbind the panther. I want a jungle cat companion but didn't have 200.

The problem would be that every character on the founder account gets a panther, so people could make new characters, unbind and sell the companion, then delete the character. If it is available before L16, everyone would have one. (I do understand wanting a feline companion, and it is one of the main reasons I spent the cash, so I hope they will offer a jungle cat or another feline in the cash stop for those who couldn't get the panther.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Acolyte of Kelemvore - now he gives ~10% life steal buff + 10% damage reduction buff is quite often. Life steal buff is almost all the time up (7 sec cd as i remember). This pet IS good (was fixed). He gives you about 1400-1500 life steal stat.
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • Options
    hecatomb2hecatomb2 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    uhh I have a question.Is this companion needed at end game? I mean when u reach the max level do you need him for anything except fun? Can you use them in PVP,Dungeons? Or the companion is just a leveling helper :) ?
  • Options
    vaultfairyvaultfairy Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really wanted to try the Ghost companion but it disapeared in BWE4 :(
  • Options
    bjorkasaurbjorkasaur Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for this guide!
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What no Halfling companions! That is prejudicial against the vertically challenged!

Give me a Hin Man-At-Arms, a War Dog Mount, or both!
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    hecatomb2 wrote: »
    uhh I have a question.Is this companion needed at end game? I mean when u reach the max level do you need him for anything except fun? Can you use them in PVP,Dungeons? Or the companion is just a leveling helper :) ?

According to loading screen tips provided in game, dungeons are balanced against 5-man teams while solo quests are balanced against a hero + companion. There is some resistance to using companions in a dungeon because it makes healing harder; all the additional NPCs make it hard to target the dying.

If you don't want to deal with a companion, the safest thing to do is save up for the ioun stone, which is just a special effect around your head and can't be targeted.
  • Options
    darkstarmjpdarkstarmjp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How's the direwolf and panther compare? both are purple yes?
  • Options
    cerek2cerek2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited April 2013
    Panther: Level 1

Claw: 1s cooldown.
    32-39 Physical Damage. Damage is increased if Panther has combat advantage.

Pounce: 5s cooldown. 20' range.
    51-62 Physical Damage. Grants Combat advantage for a short duration.

Charging Pounce (Level 30):

Does 50% increased damage. Also knocks target prone.

Vicious Dire Wolf: Level 1

Tear: 5s cooldown.
    126-154 Physical Damage. Causes bleed effect.

Vicious Bites:
    48-58 Physical Damage in 3 quick bites. Staggers the target.

Dire Fury:
    When the Vicious Dire Wolf has combat advantage. It knocks the target prone.

Gentlemancrush (systems designer) posted this: The Panther will do slightly more damage while the Dire Wolf will offer slightly more control in the form of consistent knockdowns once they hit 30. Up to that point however they are very similar. Really just pick to flavor
  • Options
    mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I dont like the spiky things on the dire wolf. not easy to pet by the looks of it
  • Options
    deepgolddeepgold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    Phoera, Striker, (max 30 rank companion) random drop from nightmare boxes.

Fiery Talon: Rake the target and set it on fire for a few seconds

Feathers of Flame: Scatter several flaming feathers in a cone in front of it.

Phoenix Heat (rank 30 ability): deal fire damage to all nearby foes every seconds.

Companion offensive slots x3

Item slots: Ring, Talisman, Icon

Power: 11
    Crit: 11
    ArmorPen: 11
  • Options
    civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    How's the direwolf and panther compare? both are purple yes?

So far I've been enjoying the wolf much more. He is constantly interrupting enemies and it feels like he does more damage.
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • Options
    civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the updated info guys! I'll be checking periodically to keep the top post updated. I'll also try to work on the colors and formatting so it is all easier to read. There are a lot of companions out there so this is going to be a monster to keep updated!
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png