What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Guide] Companion info and a bit of a guide

Comments

• Options
    baka777baka777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Long story short...don't take the control wizard companion, unless he gets a major buff. He's terrible. LOL
  • Options
    stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited April 2013
    skeletun wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of what companions you get (free) at which levels. I thought I read that at lvl 16, you can pick out a companion. But then at lvl 30 (or 40?) and some other levels some are given to you for free.
    You get a quest at level 16 that introduces you to the companion system and you get to choose from 3, a dog, the man-at-arm and a cleric. At the end of the graveyard zone (around 28-30, and can't remember the exact zone name) you get the cleric as a quest reward.

There might be more quests that reward you with companions but I do not know of them.
  • Options
    civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    hedgehog8 wrote: »
    BTW, what is the $ to Zen ratio? Like 10$ for 1000 zen? I didn't see any prices on the 'pay' tab.
    I'm really thinking that trying a hawk companion may be worth a try this weekend :D

Yup it's $10 for 1000 zen. Companions in the zen store will range from $15-$35 based on the prices in the last beta weekends.
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • Options
    skeletunskeletun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stauch wrote: »
    You get a quest at level 16 that introduces you to the companion system and you get to choose from 3, a dog, the man-at-arm and a cleric. At the end of the graveyard zone (around 28-30, and can't remember the exact zone name) you get the cleric as a quest reward.

There might be more quests that reward you with companions but I do not know of them.

Thank you for that. That definately will help me decide which one to get. I think I read somewhere that you get the Man-at-arms at another point but not sure. I'll probalby go with the dog. Thanks again!!
  • Options
    bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Merci 10 9
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    skeletun wrote: »
    Thank you for that. That definately will help me decide which one to get. I think I read somewhere that you get the Man-at-arms at another point but not sure. I'll probalby go with the dog. Thanks again!!

You actually have 4 choices at level 16, one tank (man at arms), one leader (cleric), one DPS (dog) and one controller (the wayward Drow wizard).

At the end of the graveyard chain you get a cleric of green quality, which gives it a higher max level than the white quality dude you picked at level 16. Another quest almost immediately after gives you a green man at arms.

Several companions can be bought with gold, including a great weapon fighter and a rogue. They cost about 2 gold, similar to a horse. Then you have companions from the zen vendor in the same location, and a few special companions (cat, ioun stone) from the astral diamond vendor.
  • Options
    civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    With this closed beta starting today I would really appreciate everyone collecting any additional information that I can add to the guide. I'm also looking for anything that has changed! Please reply here or PM. Early next week I hope to have it all re-written and formatted to be a bit clearer.

Thanks!
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • Options
    rogasmorogasmo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Great guide. Can't wait to play!!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Me neither. Still stuck at work and I want to get started on my companion testing stuffs!
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    New thing for companions with the current update:

White Companions (ie the ones available for gold and from the initial quest) have max Rank 15
    Green Companions (you get one as a reward from the Neverdeath Graveyard quest chain, others available for Zen) have max Rank 20
    Blue and Purple Companions (seemingly exclusive to the Zen store and Lockboxes) likely have a higher max Rank.
  • Options
    cybermarkcybermark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Kobold, ghost, wizard seems gone in the Zen market. =(
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So I bought a cat(980,000 AD) and it gives +0.2% to crit chance. Was like that at level 1, still same at lvl 7. Either it's some bug and it doesn't scale yet, or devs have a really weird sense of humor.
  • Options
    jirodynejirodyne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I figured Pictures spoke louder than words. So... I present! The Earth Elemental in the Zen Shop, for 3000 Zen!

33f92jn.jpg

t8n85l.jpg

eq1rol.jpg
    Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
  • Options
    rh97969rh97969 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 53
    edited April 2013
    cybermark wrote: »
    Kobold, ghost, wizard seems gone in the Zen market. =(

I noticed this as well. Any official word on this?
    6ZH4F6g.jpg
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hedgehog8 wrote: »
    So I bought a cat(980,000 AD) and it gives +0.2% to crit chance. Was like that at level 1, still same at lvl 7. Either it's some bug and it doesn't scale yet, or devs have a really weird sense of humor.

Wouldn't that % scale with your gear? and it suppose to help Recovery as well.
    Can we get a screenshot?

What about the 3 (hedgehog8 posted the Cat) AD Companions? I see a Shield and Sword.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Very cool! Stickied! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    Wouldn't that % scale with your gear? and it suppose to help Recovery as well.
    Can we get a screenshot?

What about the 3 (hedgehog8 posted the Cat) AD Companions? I see a Shield and Sword.

No, it adds the value of the cat's critical 'score' to my total(not the % value btw, the skill values).
    So my total was about 100(lvl 30 cleric, didn't concentrate on crits much), and cat's was 15. And it added exactly 15, so I had about 115. I'm a bit tired now, but tomorrow I'll probably try to use some different gear(although I believe it won't help, since it's written in description that value depends only on cat's stats). Maybe there will be a huge 'leap' at level 10 (like for 15 to 75), but so far it just looks like a bug. Spending 980000 AD on something that adds less that 10% crits is a bit wasteful IMHO. The cats looks cool of course, so it can work as a decoration, but 'crit boost' info in description is way too misleading.

PS It's purple btw, max rank 30 :P. '+0.2%' crit rate is probably in fact a huge amount. Except a lvl 1 azure runestone adds more....

PPS Also my old dog companion became about 5 times smaller...
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jirodyne wrote: »
    I figured Pictures spoke louder than words. So... I present! The Earth Elemental in the Zen Shop, for 3000 Zen!

33f92jn.jpg

t8n85l.jpg

eq1rol.jpg

3000 zen sounds extremely excessive in price for a companion. The average starship in STO only costs about 2,500 zen, and they're infinitely more useful as items to buy, since they pretty much are your character in space. I could understand if it were something you actually played, like a new class or race, but companions shouldn't be approaching anywhere near that kind of price, and given their gameplay role in Neverwinter they aren't really worth it.
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    This collage might help a few people decide which zen store companion they want.

th_831655718_companions_122_178lo.jpg

(sorry for its shoddyness was a bit rushed)
  • Options
    roadkillaroadkilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    there's also training tomes that will be in the game later that you can raise the lvl limit of your companions.
    white to green
    green to blue
    blue to purple
    there's a place holder at the companion vendor for them already.
  • Options
    unifex69unifex69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is anyone able to unbind pets? When I try a message pops up about astral diamond costs to unbind but nothing happens when I click OK. Making them Idle/Active seems all I can do with them now. :confused:
  • Options
    daxbishopdaxbishop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    I saw a guy running around in the game and he had a puppy following him around. Is that also a companion or was it a quest or something? It looked like a German Shepherd puppy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deepgolddeepgold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    rojor wrote: »
    This collage might help a few people decide which zen store companion they want.

th_831655718_companions_122_178lo.jpg

(sorry for its shoddyness was a bit rushed)

Thank you Rojor for the image.

I suspect BLUE companion might max rank @ 25, seeing that above PURPLE companions come with rank 30 ability. If someone has information on the PURPLE ANGEL companion pls let us know if she too has a rank 30 ability

If upgrading in WHITE > GREEN > BLUE > PURPLE is possible, I do hope when converting BLUE to PURPLE will grant those companion a rank 30 ability.

If companions can only max rank to 30, does that mean they will be useless around 40s and near end game content?
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rojor wrote: »

Fantastic job. Far better job than the devs themselves have done so far with them. :D
  • Options
    cybermarkcybermark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can you access the inventory of your companion?
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cybermark wrote: »
    Can you access the inventory of your companion?

Companions don't have inventory so to speak but do have up to 6 equip slots (3 Rune's and 3 Gear). These equip slots unlock at certain levels and White quality companions will be unable to access the last slot.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138817395
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    New Beta Weekend 4 you can upgrade your companion quality (Rank) buying the upgrade items for AD (like the mounts).
    Also new they added a breakdown of what each companion skills when your looking at them, the 'purple rank 3' companions have a 3rd ability now, the Honey Badger got a 3rd ability that makes him do bonus damage when his life is above 80% and takes less damage when it drops below 35% life only active one it reaches rank/level 30.
  • Options
    deepgolddeepgold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    If we bought the elemental for zen, is that companion available to all characters in the account or just that character?
  • Options
    gendailgendail Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kotli wrote: »
    New Beta Weekend 4 you can upgrade your companion quality (Rank) buying the upgrade items for AD (like the mounts).
    Also new they added a breakdown of what each companion skills when your looking at them, the 'purple rank 3' companions have a 3rd ability now, the Honey Badger got a 3rd ability that makes him do bonus damage when his life is above 80% and takes less damage when it drops below 35% life only active one it reaches rank/level 30.

where can you buy the upgrades? The only vendor I saw with upgrade books said "Coming Soon" and I could not buy it. I have the cleric companion I used with my Guardian and she is at max lvl 15. I am now 30 and I didn't get a green cleric companion from the graveyard quest line :-/
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Zen store companions are per character. Which means they are a lot more expensive than mounts. A LOT more.
    BUG: Cannot unbind a companion right now [BW4] (reported in BUG forums already)