test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Founder's Pack - Report Purchase Issues Here!

Comments

• Options
    skeaneukskeaneuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have had a quick scan through these pages and am very disappointed that I can't pay using GBP :rolleyes:

With sales tax this $59 dollar version will cost me €9 extra
  • Options
    saberhagen1saberhagen1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Today I purchased the founders pack after days of trying with a vanilla visa card, but when the transaction went though it stated there was an error and to contact Perfect World. I recieved conformation that the charge went though but no email from PW with any key or confirmation. How long does it take to recieve the email? It's been about an hour and a half and am concerned I may have problem?
    Banner of the Light Member
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    First of all taxes are on your nation, not your currency. If your country is part of the European Union you are subject to the exact same VAT charge regardless of the currency you choose.
    The numbers may vary but value-wise it is exactly the same. 20% (or w/e the rate is) of GBP is exactly the same as 20% on a Euro. Numbers vary...but value does not. I encourage anybody who thinks otherwise to ask a trusted friend who understands basic math.

saberhagen1,
    You should definitely take this up with support. The confirmation e-mails should have been sent immediately so if you don't have confirmation there is definitely a behind the scenes error.
    However please note access is automatically applied to your account. You are not e-mailed a key so if you do have a confirmation e-mail that is all you need. There will be no e-mail supplying you with a key to enter.
  • Options
    stewterrystewterry Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    First off, I'm using the same card for other purchases (online and otherwise) with no issues at all. There is no block against PWE or anything else on my bank account.
    Skrill is coming back with "We were unable to complete the payment. Please try again."

Paypal is coming back with "The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number."

Trying to purchase a hero of the north pack. Take my money! :(
    Any alternative payment options with these not working?

Edit: Scratch that. Just used paypal's direct link to my bank account rather than my card (of the same account) and it worked. Strange
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks. If I don't receive anything from Perfect World by tonight I will contact them.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Just wanted to say Perfect World took a whole 15 minutes to reply to my issue and I am all set. Thanks.
  • Options
    hosilockshosilocks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    First of all taxes are on your nation, not your currency. If your country is part of the European Union you are subject to the exact same VAT charge regardless of the currency you choose.
    The numbers may vary but value-wise it is exactly the same. 20% (or w/e the rate is) of GBP is exactly the same as 20% on a Euro. Numbers vary...but value does not. I encourage anybody who thinks otherwise to ask a trusted friend who understands basic math.

What a lovely friendly attitude you have :o

the 20% tax on digital purchases is nothing really new but why is this not made clear on the website BEFORE you press order and are taken to paypal (the wrong language one at that) this does not look good to people and you must understand there disappointment when they get mugged like that and not be such a condescending know all.... I think you owe Skeanuk and apology tbh
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Does the rest of the world list tax prices on shelf products?
    I have never traveled out of the United States so is there a culteral difference or something? Listing prices without shipping and tax is standard practice both in local stores and online transactions within the United States.

The numbers presented on the shelf is the price you pay the company. The numbers presented at check-out include taxes and other fees divied out to other parties. I have never been to a store which advertises the price including tax before check-out in the US or online.

As for the incorrect language report that to support. It should bring you to the correct language based on the nation, however I think that may be dependent on Paypal supporting the language.

And I am sorry that you feel my tone was unfriendly. I have had multiple people within this thread try to dispute that paying in <x currency> saves money over paying in <y currency> or that if they pay in <z currency> they don't have to pay the VAT.
    I have simply accepted that friends may be a better source of insight than a random forum moderator. It's not intended to be unfriendly, more of an acceptance of defeat. ;)
  • Options
    hosierman1hosierman1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 72
    edited February 2013
    In the UK and most of Europe that I have visited the price displayed is usually including VAT and if it does not include VAT it will clearly say "ex VAT" so you know you have to add it on.

I think the largest source of frustration is the way in which the price hike is handled, if the page said 59.99 US dollars or 55.99 euros or 50 GBP (sorry I had to write them all as this forum only supports the dollar sign out of the 3) depending on region people would know exactly what they were paying for for before clicking the link and wouldn't have the shock of it being 20-25% more than they expected at checkout.

as for the paypal language thing i just let google chrome translate it for me and it was fine :)
    Foundry quest NW-DKCR8S6GH
    Trouble at "The Rock" please play and review if you have the time, thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well...I guess I'll pass on the feedback.

But again...there's *nothing* abnormal about that in the United States. Prices listed are *always* without tax. Taxes and other fees are *always* applied during checkout.
    So really what this comes down to is a cultural difference. I can see how it may be misleading if you're not used to it...but this is very much the US standard business practice. It may seem unethical to Europeans but as an american it feels wrong to build taxes into the price. Yay for differences!

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to ask they do every single sales page twice over (or more times) in order to show the price one click prior to checkout (which is literally what it is) but that's up to Cryptic/PWE. Personally I'd rather them spend time developing more critical features of the game/website...
    *You may feel differently but that is my opinion*
  • Options
    axan22#6446 axan22 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had issues with my card with both paypal and skrill but after a quick call to the bacnk to tell them it was me who was using it all was sorted and now own hero and guardian pack :-)
  • Options
    adurnacadurnac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    just checkin if my Hero of the north title aply

seems not
  • Options
    coolingscoolings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am the same as above has my title been applyed yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Glad to hear axan29!
    Yeah out of country sales tend to get flagged as suspicious. Only way to resolve that is to call the card provider :(

As for the titels this is taken from the first post :)
    Update! - Founders Titles are not applied automatically

How to Apply Your Title:

Method One -
    In this link check the "Identify me as a member of this group" next to your desired Founders Pack.

Method 2 -
    1. Click User CP towards the top of the screen.
    2. Click Permissions Group.
    3. Check the "Identify me as a member of this group" next to your desired Founders Pack.

If you can not see the access your account's Permissions Group please follow steps A-C found below. If that doesn't resolve the issue please send a Support Ticket.
  • Options
    phatwingchunphatwingchun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well...I guess I'll pass on the feedback.

But again...there's *nothing* abnormal about that in the United States. Prices listed are *always* without tax. Taxes and other fees are *always* applied during checkout.
    So really what this comes down to is a cultural difference. I can see how it may be misleading if you're not used to it...but this is very much the US standard business practice. It may seem unethical to Europeans but as an american it feels wrong to build taxes into the price. Yay for differences!

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to ask they do every single sales page twice over (or more times) in order to show the price one click prior to checkout (which is literally what it is) but that's up to Cryptic/PWE. Personally I'd rather them spend time developing more critical features of the game/website...
    *You may feel differently but that is my opinion*

It's not a cultural thing though as for the last 17 years I've been shopping online from all manner of sites and countries I have never had an issue such as this. The price advertised is the price you pay so for those of us in the UK and probably other countries we've got used to seeing the USD price and converting the price in our heads. I'll often see 40usd and think 'hmmm that's around 30 gbp'.

If the other sites and companies can sell the games at the converted price then why can't PW? It can't be VAT, after all we're buying digital media from abroad. Now if customs and excise want something off me then that's fine, I expect that on shipped products but nowhere have I ever had the price increased so much and never been offered the opportunity to buy in GBP instead of the Dutch paypal.

I'm another one that is refusing to pay the extra amount for founders unless it's sorted out and won't be playing/buying stuff in-game when it's released if the extra charge for being British is still there.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Goods ordered online from outside the EU
    If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you'll have to pay Customs Duty and Import VAT on top of the purchase price if the goods are above a certain value - though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty payable is 9 pounds or less.
    Some Internet sellers outside the EU have arrangements with the UK whereby you pay them the VAT that's due on the goods you're ordering. They then pay the VAT to their postal authority - which in turn pays it to HM Revenue & Customs. Note that these sellers must be authorised to do this. They'll have a special number that will be on the Customs Declaration. The declaration should also carry a message saying 'Import VAT pre-paid'. When this arrangement is used you won't be charged any import VAT or a Royal Mail handling fee when you get your parcel. Note that if the above procedures aren't followed properly you could end up losing the goods.

I don't understand why one click and many hours of work means so much. The price is listed as 200 dollars on the english (US) website which is shared for all english speaking users whether they are in the US, UK, Australia, South Africa...etc. This means you want them to create a digital image advertisement and different web-links for each and every single nation.

Of course big online retailers such as amazon and ebay which are truly a global force personally support every single denomination they can because of the huge portion of the market they cover in every single country but Cryptic/PWE isn't a retail store, they're game developers which happen to sell products all over the world. It's not uncommon for smaller companies which effects a global economy to use Paypal or another payment transfer system to support the global economy rather than list every single payment option on their website.

I don't see time creating all that support to be such a requirement personally. Perhaps they could put a disclaimer, likely at the bottom of the page, that additional fees apply based on the purchaser's location, but even according to the VAT fees are applied on top of the list price. It shouldn't be that big of a shocker and sure, maybe it catches you off guard the first time but it shouldn't be a do or die situation.
  • Options
    eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As far as I can tell by reading the founder's page if I buy the Starter kit I don't get beta access? Why not?
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just want to know when I can book my time off work for launch lol
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    phatwingchunphatwingchun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't understand why one click and many hours of work means so much. The price is listed as 200 dollars on the english (US) website which is shared for all english speaking users whether they are in the US, UK, Australia, South Africa...etc. This means you want them to create a digital image advertisement and different web-links for each and every single nation.

Of course big online retailers such as amazon and ebay which are truly a global force personally support every single denomination they can because of the huge portion of the market they cover in every single country but Cryptic/PWE isn't a retail store, they're game developers which happen to sell products all over the world. It's not uncommon for smaller companies which effects a global economy to use Paypal or another payment transfer system to support the global economy rather than list every single payment option on their website.

I don't see time creating all that support to be such a requirement personally. Perhaps they could put a disclaimer, likely at the bottom of the page, that additional fees apply based on the purchaser's location, but even according to the VAT fees are applied on top of the list price. It shouldn't be that big of a shocker and sure, maybe it catches you off guard the first time but it shouldn't be a do or die situation.

What you've quoted is for physical goods arriving by postman or courier. We're aware of customs and excise and add that to any physical orders we purchase from abroad however what we're talking about here are data packets sent from a server abroad, I'm guessing the exact same server the other countries including the US are downloading from. In fact, I have the game installed now for free so it's not even the game that's costing us it's the ability to have an automated system recognise and change our membership to a Founder. The VAT shouldn't be charged on top of the regular price for us in the UK if the company we are paying is not in the UK and paying that Value Added Tax to the British Government.

We're being ripped off. We're able to use Paypal to purchase in dollars so give us that option please or amend the price those of us in the UK specifically have to pay. We don't use the Euro in the UK so it's no different from us paying in dollars other than the exchange rate <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> us over.

And, can we get a moderator to contact PW and ask if the in game purchases are also going to be so badly priced as to be honest it's a game breaker for me.
  • Options
    altaweiraltaweir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not only that, but the VAT story is moot as soon as you consider that each country has a different VAT rate. If you chose your country then had a VAT from 8% to 25% depending on your location, it would start to make sense, but a flat, undisclosed 20% extra is just border to robbery.

I sincerely hope for Perfect World that at least they actually give back to fiscal entities the VAT they claim to collect, otherwise things could become... Interesting.
    Avenger.jpg
  • Options
    blazemuffin69blazemuffin69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had problems with paypal for several days after initially buying a guardian pack for a friend, couldnt process my amex on paypal after the first transaction posted even. I finally created a verified CC Paypal account at which time I had no problems using my amex then for the Hero of the North purchase. Submitted a ticket to support and provided them my workaround in case anyone else had the problem with paypal.
  • Options
    j4utnj4utn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've contacted Revenue & Customs to find out if the tax charge is correct.

Seems that the VAT is taken based on the residency of the customer and then can be paid at the rate of whichever EU member state they wish to register with... http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-UnitedStates/Local%20Assets/Documents/Tax/us_Tax_VAT_POV_2011Sept_100711.pdf

There are similar conversations taking place on the other PWE game forums (or have been since 2011).

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1200821
    http://jd-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=493782
    http://eso-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?293031-Countries-with-Value-Added-Tax-%28ZEN-Policy-Change%29

It's a shame that this results in PWE appearing to be charging EU players more surely resulting in lost revenue as people refuse to make purchases. I would have been happy to pay the Euro equivalent of $200 but when it worked out as $254 I put my credit card away.

As digital delivery proliferates lets hope this topic becomes a much wider discussed topic (write to your MEP's!)
  • Options
    adurnacadurnac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    testing again, Ticket status said ''solved''. will I have my title now?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    beginning to be tired of this. Been 3 times now i've loged out and back in (closed Explorer each time). Still no Permission Group available. I hope i dont have any issue like this for the beta. I payed 200$, and the game not out yet. I expect these things to work.

Plz dont send me the same link/copy of what my User CP should look like. Im not freakin dumb. its not there I checked :p
  • Options
    soiledostrichsoiledostrich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No issues, thanks for making such an exciting game! All my DnD friends are either dead or in prison! So now I can make new friends finally! I loved the old NWN and DnD in general, YEARS of fun. Thank you, thank you, thank you PW/Cryptic! (The joke here is they are really either dead or working in a prison, like myself... as a career.... for the denser folks out there!)
  • Options
    ravielzravielz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ok for the last 3 hours i have been trying to buy the hero of the north founders pack i have contacted paypal and there is nothing wrong with that account i been trying to buy this and i keep getting error messages somebody please help me so i can get the 200 dollar pack and be in the next beta weekend
  • Options
    sardokussardokus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What a nightmare trying to get the founders pack purchased via this paypal skrill system. I log into paypal , it confirms my choice for my credit card and shows a review information screen. From that point there are two links that say "PAY NOW" one at the top and the bottom. Whichever of these I click on it just loops back to the review information screen...I am pretty sure its not completing the purchase for some reason even if I am 100% the credit card has the money available and is my primary for this paypal account.

What is the problem can anyone help please, it is so frustrating and I have been at this for hours trying to find out whats going on.
  • Options
    soiledostrichsoiledostrich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I used the Chrome browser when I purchased it. Have you tried trying a different one than you are currently using? A loop like that is usually a cache error. You could try to clean out your browser with Advanced System Care or Ccleaner. After that give it another go..
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ravielz wrote: »
    ok for the last 3 hours i have been trying to buy the hero of the north founders pack i have contacted paypal and there is nothing wrong with that account i been trying to buy this and i keep getting error messages somebody please help me so i can get the 200 dollar pack and be in the next beta weekend

What is the error message?
  • Options
    chesirecrowchesirecrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sardokus wrote: »
    What a nightmare trying to get the founders pack purchased via this paypal skrill system. I log into paypal , it confirms my choice for my credit card and shows a review information screen. From that point there are two links that say "PAY NOW" one at the top and the bottom. Whichever of these I click on it just loops back to the review information screen...I am pretty sure its not completing the purchase for some reason even if I am 100% the credit card has the money available and is my primary for this paypal account.

What is the problem can anyone help please, it is so frustrating and I have been at this for hours trying to find out whats going on.
    No idea what the problem is. Experiencing a similar problem when I attempt to purchase the Guardian - fill out city and country (Canada) which takes me to the PayPal page, which gives an option of using a Paypal Account, or pay via credit card (which is what I want to do) but it says United States. When I change that to Canada, I get 2 choices, use a PayPal account or start a PayPal account. Tried this several times with the same result. Submitted a support ticket this morning. At this time it is unanswered.

I don't want a PayPal account; I just want to make a simple credit card transaction. I have no problem with credit cards on-line, via phone orders or locally. I don't know why so many companies decide there should be an interim company collecting the money, which they obviously don't do for free.

Quite reluctant to attempt to purchase in-game currency now if I have to go through a hassle every time. Somewhere else on PW's site it indicates I could get PWE pre-paid cards from Walmart. However, a search on Walmart Canada only brings up WoW prepaid cards.
This discussion has been closed.