test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you want to know from a Beta Tester?

Comments

• doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can Trickster Rogues equip a longsword or rapier or katana in their main hand, or atleast something that looks like a sword that's longer than a short sword?

Weapons are classified as Light (only for Rogues), Medium (Guardians) or Heavy (Great Weapon Fighter). No ones reported a rapier for Rogues, but most swords will be medium.
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How does At-Will Powers work? Does it need to be recharged for using otherwise which keys are they assigned? What is Feats, is it good for only party or what do they mean? Action Surge, Conqueror, Guardian, Tactician?

At-will powers use the mouse buttons and are, indeed, at will.

I explained Feats in a previous answer.

I don't understand the rest of your question.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    When in the game, press ESC. Then Rearrange UI and you are able to move and resize them, just like in DDO and other MMOs with a customize-able UI.

Oh hey I totally didn't check something when i was playing and just thought about it. Can you scale each element of the UI individually or only the whole UI together?
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    Oh hey I totally didn't check something when i was playing and just thought about it. Can you scale each element of the UI individually or only the whole UI together?

You can re-scale the elements individually, move them to different parts of the screen individually. You can even hide an element (like the mount button or potion bar) if you want to get rid of it.

From what I've seen (granted I did not play with this level of detail, and it is beta), you cannot make the party bar fill out horizontally, nor can you change the orientation of buttons, or make the bags "all-in-one".
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How does At-Will Powers work? Does it need to be recharged for using otherwise which keys are they assigned? What is Feats, is it good for only party or what do they mean? Action Surge, Conqueror, Guardian, Tactician?

At-will powers are granted at specific levels. You get your first at-will power (basic attack) at level 1, then a secondary power at level 2. The secondary at-will is usually more "utility". For example, the rogue gets a ranged attack, the priest gets a damaging attack that places a debuff on the mob that gives health to any player damaging it.

These "rank up" as you advance in level. Eventually, you get a third at-will for your primary attack (I believe this is level 15), and at Paragon level (40) you get your paragon At-will power (which, for cleric, looks pretty nasty).

These at-will powers have no recharge or cooldown; just rate of fire. They are defaulted to the left and right mouse buttons. I would suggest not re-mapping them, since you'll be using them while mouse-aiming (I didn't use a control pad).

Feats are essentially talents. They improve some specific power, or generally improve something. for example, one of the priest feats gives a small AOE heal to anyone within 10' of a mob if you crit it with a damaging ability. This heals them for 2/4/6% of their health over X seconds. Another feat increases all outgoing healing by 2/4/6/8/10% (dependent upon how many feat points are placed, max 5).

After level 30, however, the feats become more specialized and restrict what powers you are going to use (as some encounters and dailies will work better with the "tree" you select). I'm unsure of GF, but DC basically had the options of:

1. Heal via dealing damage.
    2. Heal in "divine channel mode".
    3. Heal via buffs (+damage resists, etc.), debuffs and HoTs.
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    QUESTION: how true is the game to a traditional D&D system, ie, baldurs gate, NwN, DDO.

i was hoping to a merge between DDO and NwN but with a 4e ruleset.

but the videos i see make it look very watered down, ie. pregen classes, predetermined skills, why not have it the old way where you have your skills you can learn more if you find the right scrolls or manuals and you learn them, then have to prepare spells whilst resting?

does the current system feel like a place holder for a deeper build system or does it feel like the final product?

In my opinion the rule set translation this game is loosely based and I say again loosely based on DnD 4e. No I am not a fan of 4e and could care less if it is butchered. But this game just kind of waves at DnD in my opinion.

I never felt like I was playing character and it felt very pregen to me. As for skills not really in there and I am hoping something will be done with them besides you can open this box.

The game felt highly polished to me so I am not sure how much choice they can add or what they can do to add meaning to the skill your character gets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    Can founder packs buy u into the beta or only beta weekends?

Beta weekends are the only beta currently happening or that has been announced.
  • hainorhainor Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry for the simplistic question but i wanted to know if you can still just point & click to use powers etc or must you use the hotkeys people have mentioned?
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    hainor wrote: »
    Sorry for the simplistic question but i wanted to know if you can still just point & click to use powers etc or must you use the hotkeys people have mentioned?

In combat it is all hotkeys. Essentially all interaction with the world is hotkey. Your mouse determines which way your are looking and your aiming point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • nethershadowsnethershadows Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To any cleric who got around the level 30 region, I was wondering does your damage still stay some what relevant as you get higher as it was in the low levels or does your role just take a complete shift to pure baby sit healer? I ask because I dream of making a DPS/Healing hybrid.
  • volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To any cleric who got around the level 30 region, I was wondering does your damage still stay some what relevant as you get higher as it was in the low levels or does your role just take a complete shift to pure baby sit healer? I ask because I dream of making a DPS/Healing hybrid.

Cleric have very high aoe dps. Its more like sorc with imba healing. He just <tore apart> groups of mobs and is very easy to play (in my opinion = lv 30 cleric). I played cleric to 30 and guardian to 30 and cleric is just like easy mode compared to guardian.
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • panzerfaust91panzerfaust91 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Okay, cheers. Still buying it though :D
    edited February 2013

Your damage, both single-target and AoE, stays very relevant. In fact, some of your best feats and powers convert DPS into healing in some way, and there is an "advanced feat" path which actually caters to a DPS healer (do damage, heal your group).

I'm not sure about "tearing apart" groups of mobs. The undead gave me quite some trouble, especially groups with lots of "lieutenants". Minions can of course be AoE'd down like mad, but any class has that ability. Guardian fighter seems to come up lacking at level 30-ish, rogue has a hard time after level 25 or so, cleric seems to come into it's own about level 18.

The major levels of "play style change" occur with major levels. 10, 20, 30, 40. Each of those levels, the mob difficulty increases, but then, your abilities scale or synergize in some way that they did not before, you fill out key feats, etc. so take my class assessments with a grain of salt.
  • negoshaknegoshak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well i was watching the game videos of the game and i have to say the game looks great,
    but being an old mmo player i could not help to notice the golden trail that leads you from quest to quest , so the question is
    are we able to turn it off ?
    i mean its not a biggie but i would like to find my way by trial and error so the here follow this golden line or look at map for quest area kind of spoils some of he fun for me so just curious is there such an option ?
  • arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    negoshak wrote: »
    Well i was watching the game videos of the game and i have to say the game looks great,
    but being an old mmo player i could not help to notice the golden trail that leads you from quest to quest , so the question is
    are we able to turn it off ?
    i mean its not a biggie but i would like to find my way by trial and error so the here follow this golden line or look at map for quest area kind of spoils some of he fun for me so just curious is there such an option ?

Yes, you can turn the golden trail off. By default, the key "Z" toggles it.
  • negoshaknegoshak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    great thanks for the info :)
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I think I'd use that trail as an indication of where NOT to go first. I focus a lot of exploration.
    edited February 2013
    I think I'd use that trail as an indication of where NOT to go first. I focus a lot of exploration.

It does tend to drag you along the most dangerous path, so yes, it can be... interesting.
  • okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In my opinion the rule set translation this game is loosely based and I say again loosely based on DnD 4e. No I am not a fan of 4e and could care less if it is butchered. But this game just kind of waves at DnD in my opinion.

I never felt like I was playing character and it felt very pregen to me. As for skills not really in there and I am hoping something will be done with them besides you can open this box.

The game felt highly polished to me so I am not sure how much choice they can add or what they can do to add meaning to the skill your character gets.

that really sucks imo, you would think id being a D&D game it would play like a D&D especially with wizards being so close in their production.

things have really dropped since DDO that was a D&D game no doubt, i was hoping they where using a similar mechanic so it was keeping a true D&D feel.

ill definately play it but i doubt it will give me the D&D fix i wanted from it, oh well we still have DDO.
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Was this the first Beta weekend?
    I wonder if they will test other classes next weekend? I'm sure they will before going live.
    How long until live?
  • hainorhainor Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thanks for your reply - never been a big hot key fan - but for this game i'm willing to give it a try.
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How is the Pvp? Does it feel like its been built from the ground up or just tacked on? Is it gear centric or player skill centric? What type of pvp is in Neverwinter online? (ie battlegrounds, instanced scenarios, arena, dueling, faction vs faction etc etc).
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    How does the inventory and inventory expansions (small bag og holding) work.
    Is it more like STOs "generic" tacks on more space in the window?
    or
    Like CO's utility belt slots, with a Sm. bagg of holding going into it, with it's own window?
  • arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    daytonamax wrote: »
    or
    Like CO's utility belt slots, with a Sm. bagg of holding going into it, with it's own window?

Bags have their own, individual slots. Bag slots are not aggregated into one pool.
  • vrtnipatuljakvrtnipatuljak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    that really sucks imo, you would think id being a D&D game it would play like a D&D especially with wizards being so close in their production.

things have really dropped since DDO that was a D&D game no doubt, i was hoping they where using a similar mechanic so it was keeping a true D&D feel.

ill definately play it but i doubt it will give me the D&D fix i wanted from it, oh well we still have DDO.

You read my mind...they just went chasing after the magic WoW dragon again here, with hopes f2p would help
    edited February 2013
    arythor wrote: »
    Bags have their own, individual slots. Bag slots are not aggregated into one pool.

Ok, so bags have their own slots, outside of the inventory.
    Where there other bags than the small bag of holding in game?
    Like a generic "sack" or "backback" that had lower value inventory space?
    Or was the only additional space available thru the Bag of Holding?
    edited February 2013
    Ok, so bags have their own slots, outside of the inventory.
    Where there other bags than the small bag of holding in game?
    Like a generic "sack" or "backback" that had lower value inventory space?
    Or was the only additional space available thru the Bag of Holding?

There was at least one other bag size available (8-slot). This was a quest reward. I didn't find a bag vendor.
    edited February 2013
    There was also a bag dedicated to crafting components. I got a 6-space and 12-space bag as quest rewards, the first fairly early (10th?) and the second in my 20s.
    edited February 2013
    ok thnx alot
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    or
    Pic for convenience: bags and (work in progress) bank