test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you want to know from a Beta Tester?

Comments

• kojekoje Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How did they implemet ability scores in this game? In 4e your primary ability score has a big effect on your powers but from the character creation videos I have seen this week "rolling" your scores really only toggles between two arrays with minimal difference in your primary ability. Also, mousing over each ability only gives a very generic description such as "Strength measures a characters physical power." It says nothing about actual in-game effect of each score.

Do ability scores have any effect on the damage of your powers? They list primary and secondary scores for each class which coresponds to 4e but are there any powers that are based on your secondary abilities?
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    koje wrote: »
    How did they implemet ability scores in this game? In 4e your primary ability score has a big effect on your powers but from the character creation videos I have seen this week "rolling" your scores really only toggles between two arrays with minimal difference in your primary ability. Also, mousing over each ability only gives a very generic description such as "Strength measures a characters physical power." It says nothing about actual in-game effect of each score.

Do ability scores have any effect on the damage of your powers? They list primary and secondary scores for each class which coresponds to 4e but are there any powers that are based on your secondary abilities?

Ability scores... kind of do. Not in the same magnitude in 4e where its <weapon damage> + <score>. Moreso +% damage or mitigation. Like 20 Dex gives +10% crit chance.

No. Unlike powers (like the example above) they do not directly effect powers. No <con bonus> thp from crushing surge and the like.
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    horrorscope666, are you a Founder? I tried looking in your past posts but I don't see any record indicating you have posted in the Beta Forums. Could have missed it though.

This thread, however, is not for speculation or to debate with the Founders who are actively testing the game. You may post that you didn't find the combat as active as C9 but only if you are a Founder.

That being said I did notice a lot of C9 advertising throughout the posts you have made. We're not sticklers about not discussing other games and I won't remove posts just because you're comparing Neverwinter to other games but consider this the first and final warning, these are the Neverwinter Forums. Any further posts telling players to play C9 will be removed.

I've watched about 15 hours of streaming and talking to those playing. Sorry talking about games in general can be threatening of sorts. Your game isn't totally unique, combat does fall into an existing slice of mmo's, it does look good overall though. I would say to you, please don't hold a grudge towards me, I'm just talking Neverwinter and games in general. I'm almost always polite and look to better understand. There was no reason to fear, they have other issues, as to why I and many don't play'm. Of those games I have named, I do not play them and about 20 hours was about I'll I could take. That said, I will drop talking about other games since it bothers thee, point taken.

It also isn't speculation and there is always debate.
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    luminal81 wrote: »
    Re-talking about Companions...assuming (or not?) if they're "classed" like us, they've stats and abilities (same?).. they can gain EXP and grow in stats? Learning new abilities like a "Companion Skill Tree"?

Companions are simplified. They don't have ability scores, but do have game stats like Power, Deflection, etc. They do gain XP and, in fact, you have to send them off for training when they level. Right now I am waiting for my 12th level companion to level and its taking a half hour. They have a couple of powers.

The main way you have to customize your companion is through their gear. They have three gear slots which open up by level. They also get three "Runestones," which usually add to various stats but can, in theory, be used to add new powers or all kinds of things. Tis is a direct copy from the CO system.
    edited February 2013
    ragnarlawl wrote: »
    Ability scores... kind of do. Not in the same magnitude in 4e where its <weapon damage> + <score>. Moreso +% damage or mitigation. Like 20 Dex gives +10% crit chance.

No. Unlike powers (like the example above) they do not directly effect powers. No <con bonus> thp from crushing surge and the like.

Hey - thanks that's exactly what I am looking for.

Can you give us a run down of what bonus you get from each ability. For example, you said DEX gives +Crit %. What does Strength, Int, ect give? Also, what is the difference in % for each Ability point added (for example what would be the difference between 16 Dex and 20 Dex)?

In 4e you only increase your bonus from each even number (ability score of 10 or 11 makes no differnence but 12 does). Is it the same here?
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey - thanks that's exactly what I am looking for.

Can you give us a run down of what bonus you get from each ability. For example, you said DEX gives +Crit %. What does Strength, Int, ect give? Also, what is the difference in % for each Ability point added (for example what would be the difference between 16 Dex and 20 Dex)?

I think that level of detail is beyond the scope of this thread. You would need a spreadsheet with every stat, from 3-20, with multiple entries per box.

You probably should wait till launch for that sort of thing.
    edited February 2013
    I think that level of detail is beyond the scope of this thread. You would need a spreadsheet with every stat, from 3-20, with multiple entries per box.

At this point I can understand that it might be difficult to know the magnitude of each point invested especially without tooltips but I can't imagine everyone is playing the beta with no idea what each ability score does. I just would like to know what in-game effect each ability modifies.

For example, does Wisdom increase healing amount?? Does Intelligence help you spot traps??? Does Strength add to melee damage,because if it does and if Devoted Clerics can't use melee weapons then I can't see why the game forces Clerics to make Strength the second or third highest ability.
  • kebabpowerkebabpower Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How many features are The Foundry lacking compared to the other Neverwinter games? Such things such as imported sound etc are obviously a no go. But how advanced is the trigger system, if any, in the foundry? I’m reasonably aware of the extend of the visuals, but how much control will you be given of objects, abilities and npcs during editing?
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Here, just recorded this for you under NDA-freelandBWE: http://www.twitch.tv/ragnar21583/b/366164435

In short the formula is (<stat> - 10) x modifier. So 18 dex would be 8% crit chance (18-10, x1). As for what influences what, check the clip.
    edited February 2013
    Here, just recorded this for you under NDA-freelandBWE: http://www.twitch.tv/ragnar21583/b/366164435

In short the formula is (<stat> - 10) x modifier. So 18 dex would be 8% crit chance (18-10, x1). As for what influences what, check the clip.

Awesome - thanks for taking the time to do that!

Now I'm even more disappointed at how restricted ability score generation has been implimented. I know it's early beta and things may change but I want the freedom to assign scores where I want. For example, why are clerics forced to make Wisdom the highest score if it only effects control spells which is more of a wizard thing. In pen & paper 4e it makes sense for Wisdom to be highest because it improves many of their powers but in this game it doesn't and yet they still force you to make it your primary stat. Oh well.

One question, just to clarify... In your post you said 18 DEX would be 8% crit chance but in the video you made, the tooltip for DEX does not say anything about adding to crit chance.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How does this game compare to other sword and sorcey MMOs?
    This is a tough question to answer because it is so broad. That means you get what I happen to want to talk about.

Hope this helps.
    I hate to be really nitpicky about something like this, but I'm also a little uncertain what you're asking, Lightspeed. Just by looking at the gameplay trailers alone it's clear this game isn't like sword and sorcery at all. It's a very high fantasy with all the flashy, superheroic things characters can do.

Or have I missunderstood your intention?
    edited February 2013
    Awesome - thanks for taking the time to do that!

Now I'm even more disappointed at how restricted ability score generation has been implimented. I know it's early beta and things may change but I want the freedom to assign scores where I want. For example, why are clerics forced to make Wisdom the highest score if it only effects control spells which is more of a wizard thing. In pen & paper 4e it makes sense for Wisdom to be highest because it improves many of their powers but in this game it doesn't and yet they still force you to make it your primary stat. Oh well.

One question, just to clarify... In your post you said 18 DEX would be 8% crit chance but in the video you made, the tooltip for DEX does not say anything about adding to crit chance.

You know, didnt notice this until now-- but some classes get more out of the stats.

http://www.twitch.tv/ragnar21583/b/366187825

This is for the rogue-- where you can see the difference. Dex does give +crit. Con doesnt give damage mitigation that the Guardian Fighter did.

And as a whole I am also disappointed. D&D is a d20 game. So a +4 to an ability (outside damage/health) is +20%. Here it is +4%. Example? +4 to hit over +2 to hit? +10% difference. AC of 20 versus AV of 18? +10% difference. There was a lot of mathfu that went into the game that didnt really make it over.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    What I really want to know is... the gear. Is this a game where you can hunt for that ONE piece of sweet gear, that most people won't have, and it's not just a different graphic? This makes or breaks this game for me.

Unique gear, unique procs, set bonuses, rare mobs, etc... those are what drive me to keep playing. Considering a founder's pack if this is the case.
    edited February 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    What I really want to know is... the gear. Is this a game where you can hunt for that ONE piece of sweet gear, that most people won't have, and it's not just a different graphic? This makes or breaks this game for me.

I would honestly say it is too early to make that call. BWE1 isnt exactly when all the gear tuning is out and about. That said-- there is not a lot of 'rare' gear out there. The rare gear that is can be picked up by running a delve to the end and getting lucky on the RNG.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Companion Vendor will also sell two other companions to you. One is a Ghost and the other is a Hawk. These cost Astral Diamonds, but they are not level restricted; you could buy one as soon as you emerge from the tutorial.

So what is the Ghost Companion and price of it? A screenshot of it would be nice. I have seen an Earth Elemental Companion.
  • hippyohippyo Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This thread is awsome. Maybe other mods could open more threads like this, one for each mod ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    hippyo wrote: »
    This thread is awsome. Maybe other mods could open more threads like this, one for each mod ?

"Would you like to know more?"
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I would honestly say it is too early to make that call. BWE1 isnt exactly when all the gear tuning is out and about. That said-- there is not a lot of 'rare' gear out there. The rare gear that is can be picked up by running a delve to the end and getting lucky on the RNG.

Yea, just curious if anyone has done any dungeons and such and seen what "high end" gear would look like. Is there raiding in this game?
    edited February 2013
    We are capped at level 30, and there are two 5-man dungeons we can do at that level. There are rumors of some kind of raid-scale endgame but marketing has not given devs permission to talk about it. There are "Seals Vendors" who sell four different types of elite gear, purchased with seals found in dungeons. That's as close to high-end gear as we see, and no one has been able to buy it yet.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    Yea, just curious if anyone has done any dungeons and such and seen what "high end" gear would look like. Is there raiding in this game?

There are five man dungeon delves. No <explicitly removed> raids.
    This was actually confirmed long before the CBT. ;)

Also this isn't Zeb's thread. It's open to all Founders to answer questions to those wanting information on the Beta.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    If you were to end up min-maxing a fighter for DPS, would you naturally end up with a GWF (or min-maxing for tank, would you end up with the GF)? Most people - whether they like it or not - will end up min-maxing their characters' stats, so in that respect, do you think separating the builds to create a more dynamic "fighter" (in this specific case) with their own set of skills was the best move? (I do, personally)

Alternatively, if you had a free-form "fighter" class for example, do you think you'd be gimped or at a disadvantage if you didn't fully utilize the GWF or GF builds and decided to mix-and-match instead? As a result, do you think you'd be less considered to join a particular group to fill a specific role if you chose to make a mix-and-match fighter rather than utilizing min-max builds like GWF or GF?

Because the way I see it, if they DIDN'T have these builds, people would be making them naturally anyways. Puts the builds in a better perspective than what most comments are portraying them as (restrictive)....
    edited February 2013
    There are five man dungeon delves. No <explicitly removed> raids.
    This was actually confirmed long before the CBT. ;)

Also this isn't Zeb's thread. It's open to all Founders to answer questions to those wanting information on the Beta.

The raids I'm not so concerned about... If there are specific items to pine after until you get it, I'll drop $200 to get into beta and get in game perks. Just trying to make sure it's something worth $200 for me :)
  • hippyohippyo Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I want to start learning the foundry. When will it be accessible to us ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    hippyo wrote: »
    I want to start learning the foundry. When will it be accessible to us ?
    I am sorry, this has yet to be announced. :(
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    deistik

ragnarlawl said it best. It's too early to know the loot or item mechanics very well or judge what will or will not be important.
    There's no items to pine after since...well...for the most part it's unclear what you can even get. I'm sure there will be items to pine after but for right now it's too early to know what the items to pine for are ;)
  • doomking70doomking70 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    question will wizards be able too teleport like in DDO "Dungeons and Dragons onlile" or D door mass teleport ?
    Die
  • doomking70doomking70 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I am sorry, this has yet to be announced. :(

From watching a streamed game play yesterday it was my understanding that they were running user generated content.
    Die
    edited February 2013
    doomking70 wrote: »
    question will wizards be able too teleport like in DDO "Dungeons and Dragons onlile" or D door mass teleport ?

The Control Wizard was not available for testing this weekend.
    doomking70 wrote: »
    From watching a streamed game play yesterday it was my understanding that they were running user generated content.

There is UGC Content being run in the Beta Test but the Foundry is not often accessible even during the Beta. The UGC that is accessible has been created by an extremely small amount of testers and that's all I can say on that matter.

There is no news on when it will be available to the Beta Testers for extended time periods or to the general public.
  • talonvectortalonvector Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Not sure this has been asked yet or not, but what is the deal with the blue circles under characters? I am hoping u can turn them off. Cause to me a highlighted enemy is enough for me to tell they r being targeted, I dont think we need circles, also... if that is what they r for anyway. Thank u.
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kebabpower wrote: »
    How many features are The Foundry lacking compared to the other Neverwinter games? Such things such as imported sound etc are obviously a no go. But how advanced is the trigger system, if any, in the foundry? I'm reasonably aware of the extend of the visuals, but how much control will you be given of objects, abilities and npcs during editing?
    Unfortunately (like others have said), the Foundry was not available during this weekend -- I'm guessing it's due to a stability-threatening / security issue, but that's just speculation at this point. A lot of us are really anxious to see what can be done, too...

The GDC videos of the Foundry demo are a pretty good showcase of the toolset's capabilities.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m3ey114F-Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKLsIwRTqf4