test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you want to know from a Beta Tester?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey! Have the NPCs got sound meanwhile talking, because my ears can't have been heard surrounding voices of NPCs while Beta videos
    Thanks for your answers!

Yes, there are voiceovers, but there are not tons. Most quest text has no voiceover - perhaps 1 in 10?

There are ambient conversations (NPCs in the marketplace asking you to buy their stuff, etc.), and the mobs also talk to you when attacking (some quite funny dialog, in fact).
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Yes, there are voiceovers, but there are not tons. Most quest text has no voiceover - perhaps 1 in 10?

There are ambient conversations (NPCs in the marketplace asking you to buy their stuff, etc.), and the mobs also talk to you when attacking (some quite funny dialog, in fact).

Certain zones seem to have almost every quest (partially) voiced, while other zones do not. Protector's Enclave, for instance, had almost no voiced quest dialogues, while other zones typically voiced at least the first paragraph.

I suspect we will see more voiced content by launch, but I could be wrong. Given how few people read quest text, let alone listen to it, which takes even longer, the value proposition is difficult to make.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    arythor wrote: »
    Certain zones seem to have almost every quest (partially) voiced, while other zones do not. Protector's Enclave, for instance, had almost no voiced quest dialogues, while other zones typically voiced at least the first paragraph.

I suspect we will see more voiced content by launch, but I could be wrong. Given how few people read quest text, let alone listen to it, which takes even longer, the value proposition is difficult to make.

Good point on that. I was actually clicking accept on a few quests in the Tower District and noticed the NPC was actually talking to me. Not sure how "immersive" VO is for an MMO comparing it to the cost. TOR did it well, but they blew most of their budget on it, and that could have been better spent elsewhere, I fear.
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm curious about the mage class. I haven't found any beta footage of them but only the Fighter was locked from what I've read. Any feedback?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    hatepwe wrote: »
    I'm curious about the mage class. I haven't found any beta footage of them but only the Fighter was locked from what I've read. Any feedback?

The Control Wizard, as well as the Great Weapon Fighter, were both unavailable in the first beta weekend.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    A question based from forum arguments. What are the deathmechanics in a group.

Ie: If you die in a boss-fight and respawn at a savepoint, can you still return to the fight, or do you have to wait till that fight is over? (win or wipe)
  • Options
    excise2k5excise2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Triple threat!

1. Here's one I haven't seen: What kind of emotes are there? Waving, pointing, sitting, looking at maps, etc?

One thing I miss about CoH (of many) was the truly outrageous number of emotes you could have, complete with added props as needed.

2. In a similar vein, can we click to sit on chairs?

3. In yet another similar vein, are there any voices that come from the PC? i.e. battlecries, /silly, etc.
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    excise2k5 wrote: »
    Triple threat!

1. Here's one I haven't seen: What kind of emotes are there? Waving, pointing, sitting, looking at maps, etc?

One thing I miss about CoH (of many) was the truly outrageous number of emotes you could have, complete with added props as needed.

2. In a similar vein, can we click to sit on chairs?

3. In yet another similar vein, are there any voices that come from the PC? i.e. battlecries, /silly, etc.
    1. Tons of emotes and very exotic ones like indefinite push-ups! Ingame you can use them via /e <name>
    2. it is not possible to sit on chairs, but you can kick them around (some of them), the same for other furniture in some taverns. We smashed the first tavern we entered in Neverwinter :)
    3. you do make noises when you use skills or take damage etc.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The emote list is largely identical to that in CO and STO, with all the genre specific ones (live long and prosper) removed.

You can also pin the emote list to your screen and activate them by mouse click, which is kind of handy when your chat bar is scrolling a mile a minute.
  • Options
    maverickwerewolfmaverickwerewolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the answers. Just thought of another little question, which I'm not sure anyone will really know the answer to, but...

Who are the voice actors you've ("you" being whoever) heard so far? Also, in relation to that, are there different voice sets or do the voices vary by some other specification (race, for instance)?

I probably shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but I'm a voice actor buff, so I was kind of hoping to hear at least one or two of my favorites in here, like Nolan North. If he's in here, that'd be a dream come true. But if not him, then maybe some other great voice actors like Jim Cummings, Jason Marsden, Grey DeLisle, Jeff Bennett, Cam Clarke, Jennifer Hale, etc.
    Dedicated NWN roleplayer for 7+ years, the Village of Creation (VoC) server
  • Options
    lougar21lougar21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A question for the testers. Have you found any Direbadger companions ingame?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the answers. Just thought of another little question, which I'm not sure anyone will really know the answer to, but...

Who are the voice actors you've ("you" being whoever) heard so far? Also, in relation to that, are there different voice sets or do the voices vary by some other specification (race, for instance)?

I probably shouldn't be getting my hopes up, but I'm a voice actor buff, so I was kind of hoping to hear at least one or two of my favorites in here, like Nolan North. If he's in here, that'd be a dream come true. But if not him, then maybe some other great voice actors like Jim Cummings, Jason Marsden, Grey DeLisle, Jeff Bennett, Cam Clarke, Jennifer Hale, etc.

I'm afraid it was pretty sparse, and I am not such a big fan of VO actors, so I can't name them.

However, the voicesets were varied amongst the three people I remember. One was a gruff fighter type, the other was more devout-sounding, and the girl was sultry voiced. So there is some variation.
    A question for the testers. Have you found any Direbadger companions ingame?

Not by level 30. Animals I've seen were: Hawk and wolf. I think I might have seen a bear, but I can't be certain (it was bigger than a wolf and not a founder's dire wolf) as it was following a PC riding on horseback in the distance.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A question based from forum arguments. What are the deathmechanics in a group.

Ie: If you die in a boss-fight and respawn at a savepoint, can you still return to the fight, or do you have to wait till that fight is over? (win or wipe)

You can respawn and head back to the boss fight in Blackdagger keep, but not in Cloak Tower. The run back in Blackdagger was rather long, so the fight will almost be over if you do die (I didn't, i just kept track of the respawn locations).

Cloak Tower has a long run back to the boss and a gate which closes behind you when you start the boss fight. So, re-joining isn't an option (although I think you could heal or ranged DPS through the gate, I'm sure they'll fix that).

However, you wouldn't release normally. It takes just a few seconds to be revived via a team-mate clicking on your corpse. If you get the bad luck to be with a PUG where no one will do that, it's almost a guaranteed wipe anyways, and probably a better use of time to run the whole thing over with a group that isn't that dense.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    I didn't visit all the areas or do all the content so with that in mind:

I didn't see any vendor selling clothing. Your starting clothing gives +2 Defense each piece, and at least someone got a Blue rank shirt as drop. By reading the chat, more than a few sold their clothes and had to spend the rest of the weekend "naked" under the armor pieces because of no drops/vendors.

I think that there were six slots for Fashion stuff (sorry, no screenshot and not good memory). But the only Fashion stuff to buy was in the beta weekend CStore (you may want to read this about it) and was about some Pirate stuff (hat, shirt and pants).

I did get a mission drop once that was "ink coloring" or something (too long ago to remember now) - what it allowed me to do was to recolor my default shirt, pants and boots to green pattern (the found item was something like "Spring Blossom Inkset" or sum fin). However, I saw nothing else in terms of clothing purchases or drops (other than the rare armor prize) - so clothing customization is still a mystery to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ceylonese wrote: »
    Would be interested to know how the beta ran on an older system.. Currently im running a Dual core 2.8 with 4gig ram and a 9600GT. Figure i'll be upgrading but curious as to how it currently performs.

I have almost the identical system you describe. I had recently reinstalled Windows 7 before starting Beta - I ran into some crashing issues, but otherwise it ran great. I got frustrated and wiped the computer, threw Windows XP back onto it, reinstalled NW, cranked graphics to MAXIMUM - it was singling along slicker than snot.

Of course Windows XP is less resource intensive than Vista or even 7, so that needs to be taken into account. But the system you describe on XP: Neverwinter rocked and it rocked hard and fast. Obviously that's my own experience and your mileage might vary.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fellow Beta testers if they should open the Foundry in any of the future open Beta tests would some one be willing to make and post a vid on making a boss mob and showing everything that is customizable?
    (specifically skills, abilities, and HP) I have watched 2 videos from developers so far and one said you can the other said you can't.
    that would be swell and tyvm! :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    What do the stats on items look like? Do they improve normal stats (str, con, dex, etc) and if so, by how much? Basically I'm asking whether the starting stats that you 'roll', where you can add +2 here and there, are at all relevant or if they're quickly going to be overshadowed by gear with +20 strength or something.

Or do they things more along the lines of '+X to crit' or '+Y to heals'?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Fellow Beta testers if they should open the Foundry in any of the future open Beta tests would some one be willing to make and post a vid on making a boss mob and showing everything that is customizable?
    (specifically skills, abilities, and HP) I have watched 2 videos from developers so far and one said you can the other said you can't.
    that would be swell and tyvm! :cool:

I don't know that the Foundry will be available that soon. However, I'm also a Lifetimer on Star Trek Online and I've played with that Foundry a LOT - and it's based directly on the Neverwinter Foundry (meaning the NW Foundry is actually more advanced.) I'm not entirely sure what you are asking specifically, but based on how the Foundry works (beyond the scope of this thread) - my experience building STO missions and such, I would say the short answer to your question is: "maybe" at this point. In STO Foundry you can select skill level of mobs and change their look (substitute Klingon look for a Romulan-skill-level bad guy group) - but not fine-tune specific stats or anything like that.

Obvious disclaimer: this IS BETA, anything can change and I could be very wrong (based on my understanding of your question).
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How many companions can you have at once? And are the companions involved companions with opinions and back stories like Swtor or are they just dummy companions that follow you around like DDO?
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What do the stats on items look like? Do they improve normal stats (str, con, dex, etc) and if so, by how much? Basically I'm asking whether the starting stats that you 'roll', where you can add +2 here and there, are at all relevant or if they're quickly going to be overshadowed by gear with +20 strength or something.

Or do they things more along the lines of '+X to crit' or '+Y to heals'?

I saw no gear with bonuses to the base ability scores such as Strength or Dexterity. It all adds to the secondary stats like crit chance or power, or special things like life steal or regeneration.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    How many companions can you have at once? And are the companions involved companions with opinions and back stories like Swtor or are they just dummy companions that follow you around like DDO?

You can have four in your "active slots" but only one of them summoned by your side at a time. They have no RP or story component to them, and you also can't control them in any way. They just follow you around and do whatever they want. They are not very powerful or useful, really, compared to most companions/combat pets/henchmen in other MMOs.

They do level up, however, and you can upgrade/customize them some with "runestones" that add to their stats as well as a few select slots for gear that you can equip them with. You can also rename them as you wish, and even choose different appearance skins for them which unlock as the companion gains more levels.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm really enjoying this thread by the way.

Next question: Is the cleric dodge and the rogue teleport thingy completely identical other than animation? i.e. is one better at dodging (distance traveled, cooldown, speed, etc)?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm really enjoying this thread by the way.

Next question: Is the cleric dodge and the rogue teleport thingy completely identical other than animation? i.e. is one better at dodging (distance traveled, cooldown, speed, etc)?

They seemed to be identical to me, aside from animation. That said, there may well be a difference, ultimately, with feat options to improve dodging. For example, rogues have a feat option very early on to increase their stamina a decent amount, so they'd be able to dodge more at that level than a cleric would, if the rogue invested into that feat. However, I believe that one of the paragon feat lines for the cleric involves some enhancements to dodging as well, so it could all balance out in the end.

Stamina is the resource that affects how often you can dodge, by the way. In case that wasn't clear.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh, an obvious one: is there any hide helmet (or other slots) option that you could see?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes, you can toggle the appearance of your head slot item off. It's possible that you can toggle off appearance on other items, but at least in this beta, all of them that I tried had the option greyed out, except for head slot.
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, you can toggle the appearance of your head slot item off. It's possible that you can toggle off appearance on other items, but at least in this beta, all of them that I tried had the option greyed out, except for head slot.

I was so happy to finally get a helmet and shoulder pads with ~20ish, but the option to show it didn't make a difference. Probably no gfx yet for those items :(
    The rogues had some masks which had a skin to toggle on/off

p.s. if you look at my avatar, everything shows up but my helmet ;)
  • Options
    xmyfinalsinxxmyfinalsinx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic games tie your character name to your in-game handle, which is not the same as your forum name. Because they do this, there is no name camping and anyone can name their characters any name they want. For example: you could make "Elminster" whose name would officially be "Elminster@eyezonm" and I could make "Elminster@doctorcomics". The account name does not usually appear, and its not floating over your head or anything. Most people would just see "Elminster". But in chat window it appears -- unless you toggle it off, which I do, because I'm a roleplayer and I don't want to see account names. You also see the account name if you mouse over the character or their name.

This allows everyone to have whatever name they want, and because the account name can be toggled off, no one even has to see it.

You have no idea how much this just made my day :D
  • Options
    xmyfinalsinxxmyfinalsinx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    arythor wrote: »

Be interesting to see if they would let the players volunteer to voice an NPC. Now THAT would be a founders perk worth having :D
  • Options
    infrasoundxinfrasoundx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    Please add Otughs and Neo Otughs or else the game will smell like waste. (sorry spelling) Also thanks for the post