test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you want to know from a Beta Tester?

Comments

• Options
    sliversparksliverspark Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not sure this has been asked yet or not, but what is the deal with the blue circles under characters? I am hoping u can turn them off. Cause to me a highlighted enemy is enough for me to tell they r being targeted, I dont think we need circles, also... if that is what they r for anyway. Thank u.

There is an option to turn these off, yes.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    Yea, just curious if anyone has done any dungeons and such and seen what "high end" gear would look like. Is there raiding in this game?

As stated, there are 5-man dungeons - in which every player can have a companion present. So essentially, you can have 5 players and 5 companions running the dungeon all together. I've run a few Foundry adventures with this makeup, and it is a lot of fun, but I have yet to REALLY see an adventure that pushes the limits in terms of difficulty. Hopefully, we will.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    What I really want to know is... the gear. Is this a game where you can hunt for that ONE piece of sweet gear, that most people won't have, and it's not just a different graphic? This makes or breaks this game for me.

Unique gear, unique procs, set bonuses, rare mobs, etc... those are what drive me to keep playing. Considering a founder's pack if this is the case.

A lot of the Uncommon level gear that I have seen looks a lot the same; but I have seen more exotic pieces drop in dungeons. A lot of people probably have yet to notice this, but in your character sheet, there is an option for a 'fashion' outfit. Haven't really looked into how it is used, but that alone should give you some peace of mind in terms of having a unique look for your character(s).

That being said, there is a lot of diversity as far as stats on armor are concerned. On my rogue, I will often switch between critical bonuses and armor penetration bonuses; and even maximum health/defense bonuses.
  • Options
    hippyohippyo Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The most important issue that occurred to me is the reticle targetting system. I wonder how many players think it sufficient, how many want some changes or even major changes. I can partly answer this myself: the melee players tend to like the system, it was more or less tailored to them. Casters might not agree.
    Honestly like many players, i have become a little bit maniacal about my class of choice and i do not like melee builds at all. My impression is that the whole action combat still needs to be modified to enable casting of aoe spells, pc targeted spells, navi abilities like teleport, and so on. It could be that they are planning to provide a spell selection that all but omits these and does it differently. But i doubt that would be altogether satisfying. What are your thoughts ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I have seen a lot of complaints about the reticle but mainly that players feel like it gets in the way of their viewing screen...etc.

However as for the actual feedback I feel it tends to be the other way around, melee classes often want it removed since they are so close they don't feel like they have to aim while ranged classes need it to target the correct enemy.

Also there are AOE Spells. My Cleric especially is an AOE Spell Machine...nasty nasty class. Who needs a Battle Cleric when you can be a Devote Cleric. (In before Nerf hehehe)
    I'm horrible with the names but there was an AOE Spell similar to Pillar of Flame which was an encounter ability I used it him religiously. I didn't find it hard to use or target but of course the farther away I targeted the harder it was to aim.

EDIT - Zeb has supplied me with the name, Flame Strike. It's a long range mild radius AOE Spell. It's one of my favorite spells in the game. I hope the Control Wizard can get something half as good!
  • Options
    apostlesapostles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    Does anyone know which specific stats the ability scores affect. For example, what stats are improved by STR, CHA, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also there are AOE Spells. My Cleric especially is an AOE Spell Machine...nasty nasty class. Who needs a Battle Cleric when you can be a Devote Cleric. (In before Nerf hehehe)

Divine Power and Righteous Might want to take you out for a little conversation :P
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    doomking70doomking70 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    was any one able too duel class, iknow they have limited classes right now but future .. rogue ranger fighter.. or wiz rogue. ro will this just be another sony playstation type baldurs gate?.. which i loved by the way one and 2
    Die
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    doomking70 wrote: »
    was any one able too duel class, iknow they have limited classes right now but future .. rogue ranger fighter.. or wiz rogue. ro will this just be another sony playstation type baldurs gate?.. which i loved by the way one and 2
    Nay, there is no "multi-classing" at this time. I say this in quoted because 4e handles these rules much different. The way you knew Dual Classing and Multi Classing in 1st/2nd/3rd is practically non-existent in 4th edition. There are supplemental rules however to support the appearance of this as well as "Hybrid Class" rules. These are not in the game at this time however.
  • Options
    prophetdarkprophetdark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hippyo wrote: »
    The most important issue that occurred to me is the reticle targetting system. I wonder how many players think it sufficient, how many want some changes or even major changes. I can partly answer this myself: the melee players tend to like the system, it was more or less tailored to them. Casters might not agree.
    Honestly like many players, i have become a little bit maniacal about my class of choice and i do not like melee builds at all. My impression is that the whole action combat still needs to be modified to enable casting of aoe spells, pc targeted spells, navi abilities like teleport, and so on. It could be that they are planning to provide a spell selection that all but omits these and does it differently. But i doubt that would be altogether satisfying. What are your thoughts ?

I personally found the targeting system to be refreshing and gratifying. Bringing an element to the game. I would say challenging but the reality is that it is not that challenging. It is just a different way to deal with the idea of collision and making squishy/priority targets a bit more work to get to.

I can definitely see the pain a melee fighter would see in this system. However, I think that the ability to make sweeping strikes and find ways to keep the agro and or dishing out the pain for them makes the difference between good and bad players, or just simply the ones who get it.

This coming from a rogue player. So I spent the entire time in melee.
  • Options
    seekeroftechseekeroftech Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is there a mechanic for teaming with other players of differing levels ( level matching the leader or quest owner as in CoH / STO / CO)?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    watching the mmorpg video now, not liking the Clr at all. am i even allowed too equip a weapon? seems like the only thing you can do is what is on your tree and thats it. i canty put a great axe on my deffender for trash mobs? then tank the bosses? Damn i getting more sad as i watch... the dev team needs too go play DDO for a year or so and get some idea's from a great But aged dnd game :(
    Die
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Nay, there is no "multi-classing" at this time. I say this in quoted because 4e handles these rules much different. The way you knew Dual Classing and Multi Classing in 1st/2nd/3rd is practically non-existent in 4th edition. There are supplemental rules however to support the appearance of this as well as "Hybrid Class" rules. These are not in the game at this time however.
    well thats a deal breaker, wtf did WOC do too this great game.
    Die
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    seekeroftech,
    There is an auto-grouping system but I am not sure exactly how it work beyond matching you up with parties to play with.

doomking70,
    At this point all I can say is if you're not liking what you see, wait for Open Beta/Launch...try it. If you still don't like it...come back in another year or two when more features are added.

This isn't a direct translation of 4E D&D which means certain things aren't going to be in at launch for balancing purposes. Many features will be added later but despite the launch limitations it is still a solid translation of D&D into an Action Combat Game and if Wizards of the Coast didn't agree they would have either canned the project or forced things to be closer to the the core mechanics.

All we can do is tell you how the game is...and that it is still a great and enjoyable game.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The hit point bars are annoying, i hope you can remove those? DDO has a nice orbyou can stick any were you want
    Die
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    doomking70 wrote: »
    The hit point bars are annoying, i hope you can remove those? DDO has a nice orbyou can stick any were you want
    When in the game, press ESC. Then Rearrange UI and you are able to move and resize them, just like in DDO and other MMOs with a customize-able UI.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh, and the world has zones that you travel to, but are open in themselves. No world PvP at this time there though, but if not near guarded safe zones, the enemies kill ya. In these zones you can go to areas where you can load instances too assigned by missions. As noted in my FAQ each zone has about fifty/fifty open content to instance. Nice to be able to detail this post NDA!

So no it's NOT all instanced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jdk2011jdk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited February 2013
    Was the exp gain intentionally increased during the beta weekend? Lots of posts about how fast folks were leveling.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is there a mechanic for teaming with other players of differing levels ( level matching the leader or quest owner as in CoH / STO / CO)?

No, there's no "Sidekick" or "Party Champion" system in place at this time. However, as you note, both CO and STO have this, so I think it's only a matter of time.
  • Options
    pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    What happens when you die? Do you loose any gear? Are there "respawn" points? Does the Cleric have a Rez spell?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There are respawn Points located in every zone which you will teleport to unless you have a resurrection scroll. As for Death Punishments there are currently little to none (haven't noticed any) but that could simply be due to the fact it's in Beta. If it's not trust me people will be asking for it.

As for the Res Spell, I didn't notice any. At this time it would be unnecessary but maybe it will make an appearance in the future.
  • Options
    okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    QUESTION: how true is the game to a traditional D&D system, ie, baldurs gate, NwN, DDO.

i was hoping to a merge between DDO and NwN but with a 4e ruleset.

but the videos i see make it look very watered down, ie. pregen classes, predetermined skills, why not have it the old way where you have your skills you can learn more if you find the right scrolls or manuals and you learn them, then have to prepare spells whilst resting?

does the current system feel like a place holder for a deeper build system or does it feel like the final product?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The whole idea of a death penalty is extremely annoying. Sure it should make a player more careful, but if you or your team are having trouble with a particular boss, then debuffing the player just makes the fight even more annoying. Only death penalty that I could stand is xp gain is slower for a short period of time. The more you die, the longer you have to deal with slowed xp gain. The worst ones are having to wait till your death debuff wears off, paying gold to remove the debuff, or losing levels.
  • Options
    gammanshadowrushgammanshadowrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can Trickster Rogues equip a longsword or rapier or katana in their main hand, or atleast something that looks like a sword that's longer than a short sword?
  • Options
    dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    How does At-Will Powers work? Does it need to be recharged for using otherwise which keys are they assigned? What is Feats, is it good for only party or what do they mean? Action Surge, Conqueror, Guardian, Tactician?
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Can Trickster Rogues equip a longsword or rapier or katana in their main hand, or atleast something that looks like a sword that's longer than a short sword?

Presently, no. Except for a few special cases (there is a Trickster Rogue axe), all classes presently can only use one weapon type. Trickster Rogues use daggers. Apparently this should change by release.
  • Options
    panzerfaust91panzerfaust91 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can founder packs buy u into the beta or only beta weekends?
  • Options
    ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How do NPC companions work? To be a bit more specific, are there humanoid companions? If so, do they have their own back stories and dialogue? I'm thinking like Baldur's Gate style, to be specific.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    What happens when you die? Do you loose any gear? Are there "respawn" points? Does the Cleric have a Rez spell?

When you are defeated, you go into a very brief countdown period, during which anyone can save you. This simulates the Death's Door rules from the tabletop game. If no one catches you in about 15 seconds, it is off to the nearest campfire for you.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    How do NPC companions work? To be a bit more specific, are there humanoid companions? If so, do they have their own back stories and dialogue? I'm thinking like Baldur's Gate style, to be specific.

Are people not reading earlier answers?

Wolf, Man at Arms, Cleric, Wizard for free. Hawk and Ghost for diamonds. Three equipment slots and three Runestone slots each. No stories or dialog.