test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What race you want to see in the Launch?

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    valas625 wrote: »
    ... So then Aasimar still exist, .... As to aasimar's being children of gods, ... And then neither would their tiefling offspring, no matter how far removed the bloodline is. ...

So then Aasimar still exist: No
    would their tiefling offspring: tiefling is not an offspring of devil. They are humans. (whose ancestors made an infernal pact and have a cursed appearance)
    how far removed the bloodline is: They don't have any DNA trace of devil. None of their ancestors were devils.

To make it more clear, there was a human empire which was very big with a nobility class, a king and normal people. It invaded and conquered many continents but then they made enemies. When in a desperate situation, the human king summoned the devil.

Then human king mislead the people of his empire into signing a pact. After signing the pact, the nobility of the kingdom was able to use much greater magic than others - however they had horns and tails which they didn't really mind.

The empire then fell. As centuries passed, the pact became weak. The mutated humans came to be called upon as tiefling - but they were all from that nobility of that empire (whose king tricked their ancestors).

Even thought the pact is redundant (meaning devil have no longer any hold on these humans) the mutated horns and tail which appeared on these humans have not gone away. These humans with horns and tails are called tieflings. No devil ever visited their grandmother or mother to make tiefling babies. All their ancestors were humans - and they belonged to the nobility tricked by king to sign a pact.

As the pact is weak, unlike their ancestors, their souls won't have to serve in hell just because they are tieflings.

However, as there is some mutation in their DNA which brings about tiefling features (called dormant taint) it always triumphs when they are making new babies. So tiefling+human=tiefling; due to "taint".

There are no Aasimars in new edition. Basically, gods can't make babies with humans - neither can angels. Infact, angels don't even have lower body or a face - they have wings to travel and gas below their waist to make them float like hovercraft.

So there is no race in 4e which is babies from devils or gods or demons. or dragons. Even dragonborns have a few origin theories, but none of them says that they have dragons as parents. Infact dragonborn have all chromatic dragons with passion and want to kill one. Dragonborn and dragon are completely different species with seperate origing like monkeys and humans (though both might have some connection to Bahamut or IO depending on which theory is true)
  • Options
    valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    So there is no race in 4e which is babies from devils or gods or demons. or dragons. Even dragonborns have a few origin theories, but none of them says that they have dragons as parents. Infact dragonborn have all chromatic dragons with passion and want to kill one. Dragonborn and dragon are completely different species with seperate origing like monkeys and humans (though both might have some connection to Bahamut or IO depending on which theory is true)

That part about the tieflings I missed actually. I thought they were technically half-demon/devils, didn't realize it was just appearance of them. Thanks for the clear up sir. Oh, and half-dragons do exist in 4e btw. I wondered because the Jaezred Chaulssin existed in 3.5 and still exist in Ched Nasad, though it's not much of a city anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That part about the tieflings I missed actually. I thought they were technically half-demon/devils, didn't realize it was just appearance of them. Thanks for the clear up sir. Oh, and half-dragons do exist in 4e btw. I wondered because the Jaezred Chaulssin existed in 3.5 and still exist in Ched Nasad, though it's not much of a city anymore.

Oh! I meant as playable class. I was not talking about NPC - sorry I forgot to specify it. One point to note is that sorcerers are still said to posses power of dragon blood - so I wonder if dragon's blood is tied to class instead of race...

One point which I would like to add is that you can still roleplay as a dragon or devil or etc. Just make up its story and say "it reincarnated as..." I a using something like that with Ornisk.

Though I may change my mind later and just say that similarities were because "some powers" of silver dragon leaked into the kid when he was born or something too.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Found it in wikipedia. It explains it in better words than I have:-
    In Dungeons & Dragons, the story of the humans' descent into the Tiefling race took place in the Empire of Bael Turath. Long ago, Bael Turath was one of the greatest nations in all of humankind's history. In the Empire, the noble class was completely obsessed with preserving and gaining power. Rumors of their schemes and obsession with power reached a realm called the Nine Hells, located around the Astral Sea. The devil creatures that resided in the Nine Hells gave the noble and ruling classes of Bael Turath visions while they slept, which contained the directions for a grisly, month-long ritual that would extend their rule into eternity. The details of the ritual have been left unclear in the books from the Player's Handbook series describing the events, though it is described as being very horrible. As the ritual demanded the participation of every noble house, those that refused were wholly slaughtered. Once this was done, the nobles and ruling class began their ritual. Afterwards, devils from the Nine Hells began to appear and the nobles gladly made pacts with them. These pacts gave power to the nobles and their descendants forever, but also gave them the devilish features of horns, non-prehensile tails, sharpened teeth, and red skin. Thus began the race known as the Tiefling.

It doesn't mention it there but the pact is now defunct. So making a good tiefling is perfectly fine. Infact bard class is favoured by many tieflings - and they name themselves based on emotions like "Hope", "Joy" etc. Bad tieflings name themselves like "Death", "deatruction" etc.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Oh wow, I love those pictures Asmodeus, where did you find them?

As for more races and classes too, it has been said by Cryptic that they really aren't limited to how many classes and races they can add to the game. I remember a while back too, back before when I was just a lurker here, that they hinted that more races and classes will be added after release. So, please to keep the suggestions and topic flowing for this is the kind of feedback they are looking for, for sure!

I know in my personal PnP Campaign world, I also do not like the Deva shift. Nor to I like the Tiefling change or the change to Lycanthropy being a race. These three things, among several other aspects of 4e lore changes, I will probably never adopt in my Campaign - unless I come to really like such changes come D&D Next lore and ruleset.

Got them from google search Zeb, Be careful of the Aasimar one as I believe it's someone from DeviantArt that made it, not sure for the other one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Old Tieflins were ok but new ones feel better as race. As unifying theme, horns and tails seem to work well, despite the weirdo spiked beards of the male (Sith?).

Old Aasimar were meh to me. Devas are far more interesting and visually appealing.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    Old Tieflins were ok but new ones feel better as race. As unifying theme, horns and tails seem to work well, despite the weirdo spiked beards of the male (Sith?).

Old Aasimar were meh to me. Devas are far more interesting and visually appealing.

Personally, most are too...purple-lined for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Personally, most are too...purple-lined for me.

I LOVE purple, but agreed. Way too much of it is bad. And As to Deva's, yea they're cool Shialka, but they seem a little too powerful to me. If you die, you just reincarnate? WELL THEN, WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE AN ALMIGHTY GOD WHO NEED NOT FEAR DEATH ITSELF?!?!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I LOVE purple, but agreed. Way too much of it is bad. And As to Deva's, yea they're cool Shialka, but they seem a little too powerful to me. If you die, you just reincarnate? WELL THEN, WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE AN ALMIGHTY GOD WHO NEED NOT FEAR DEATH ITSELF?!?!
    Actually deva are Dr Who. They are not god, they may even fight and go against the god of what the deva are.
    When they reincarnate, they retain memories but they are different person. So basically it is death only.

In short - Dr. Who?

"Except that they can't have kids with human"
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited November 2012
    The only things I really know about d&d are based on salvatore novels and FR video games. So why are tieflings and drow out and about in public when they are for the most part outcasts? I liked what they did with the gith in BG2 having them pop up randomly trying to steal back there artifact, that would be a cool race to see make an appearance.
  • Options
    almightysarcasmoalmightysarcasmo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The only things I really know about d&d are based on salvatore novels and FR video games. So why are tieflings and drow out and about in public when they are for the most part outcasts? I liked what they did with the gith in BG2 having them pop up randomly trying to steal back there artifact, that would be a cool race to see make an appearance.
    I agree, Drow and Tieflings should not be so readily accepted into overworld society. But racewise I would like to see Kitsune or Vishkanya
    I am the Wishmaster

4nKjr.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I agree, Drow and Tieflings should not be so readily accepted into overworld society. But racewise I would like to see Kitsune or Vishkanya

To answer Shredstallion23's question, FR's novels (except the last 3) are based pre-fourth edition. In 4e, (some 100-150 years later) the world has changed, many tieflings are around and about in the world. What's more surprising is that they don't have their own cities and towns, with how much their population has flooded. As to drow, they slowly integrated themselves into it. And in a place where law is lawless, expect to find odd species. Especially drow.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Are male drow still smaller than females in 4e?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Are male drow still smaller than females in 4e?

Hmm, good question. I do believe so sir.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If not their own cities and towns, perhaps maybe their own ghettos that surface races want nothing to do with. That would make sense why they are lurking around.
  • Options
    karachblade1431karachblade1431 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would LOVE to see githzerai and githyanki in Neverwinter as playable races at last. It would definetly be something new and fresh to play. Think of the possibilities. Are you a githyanki loyal to the Lich Queen Vlaakith, or are you out for yourself? Are you a githzerai who *knows* of Zerthimon and strives to lead by example or are you searching for enlightenment by taking as many illithid down as possible? It would be a breath of fresh air for a guy tired of seeing the same old mix of races.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    *pauses*

Illithids? Why would anyone want to take us down?!?
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure Aasimar has already been said (right... please?) but for real I'd really rather play an Aasimar cleric than a Tiefling rogue.
    I guess I'm not very edgy.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I'm sure Aasimar has already been said (right... please?) but for real I'd really rather play an Aasimar cleric than a Tiefling rogue.
    I guess I'm not very edgy.

As some have been happy to tell me Aasimar no longer exist in 4e and have become simply Deva.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    surf13 wrote: »
    *pauses*

Illithids? Why would anyone want to take us down?!?
    Illithids as playable race? Please?
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Confirmed. Assimar no longer are in the regular 4th ed world, nor are other races as half-outsider. They either are full astral sea creatures or primal creatures. Therefore Assimar are now Deva and Tieflings are reworked to have a primal location not "upper or lower plane" history.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starbearstarbear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd be happy to see a more diverse race list, dragonborn, gnomes, and a few others would be nice at launch.
    Raychul - Remen Sci Officer
    Lumba - Ferengi Eng Officer
    Vadesca - Orion Eng Officer
    AKA: Yavin_Prime
    Add a Race-change token in the Zen Store, please!
  • Options
    m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    vote for dragonborn
  • Options
    longfangzlongfangz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As the title sugests I'm curious on what are the most wanted races and classes not currently in the game. What is your wish list?

for me its.....

Race
    Half-Orc
    Dragonborn
    Goliath

Class
    Monk
    Ranger (im sure this is not far away)
    Barbarian
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Eladrin
    Deva
    Shade

Swordmage
    Bard
    Druid
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Battlemage, Monk, and Ranger

Human Masterace
  • Options
    jaelrinyajaelrinya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For me the most wanted races and classes are...

Races:
    Gnome
    Eladrin
    Deva

Classes:
    Bard
    Warlord
    Artificer

:)
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Warlord (one of the melee builds, not the archery build)
    Tome Wizard (focus on summons and conjurations)
    Swordmage (it's very Forgotten Realms)

Eladrin (we have Elf, but 4E Eladrin are what we used to call Elves)
    Genasi (again, very Forgotten Realms)
    Dragonborn (one of the best additions in 4E)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Sorry, the latest "Race Wish" thread has been merged into this pre-existing one. I know it was buried, but I found it!

As for Classes, I suggest using
    this thread by Aandre - it even covers races as well as more! Or feel free to start a new thread pertaining to Classes specifically, as the ones that have come before are now considered dead topics.

Cheers,
    Zebular, PWE Community Moderator
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Top 3 Races I want to see:
    Revenant
    Eladrin
    Minotaur

Top 3 classes I want to see: Swordmage, Swordmage and Swordmage....lol ok seriously herethey are:
    Swordmage
    Ardent
    Battle Cleric

Although I would love to eventually see all the classes on this list:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171777
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark