test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What race you want to see in the Launch?

Comments

• banjinkunbanjinkun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 65
    edited October 2012
    Halflings and gnomes.

But Halflings are confirmed right ?

Here at 3:00
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    banjinkun wrote: »
    Halflings and gnomes.

But Halflings are confirmed right ?

Here at 3:00

Awesome! I heard that as 'We only officially confirmed six races but there will be more than six at launch.' Is that my ears playing tricks on me?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Halflings have been confirmed long back. Check FAQ (search for post by Qumi).

We have humans, elves, half elves, drow, halfling, dwarf confirmed. More races should be added before launch.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually I used halflings in my FAQ based on this exact video. I realized I need to update the race's listing and included the official FAQ Race's tab now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ereviskaelereviskael Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    so my possiblities to have a genasis just... fade like smoke... included to see more.... the only race that they gonna include after launch is a hobbit?!
    all right is okay, I'm okay with this but I'm deeply disappointed...

[nothing personal but I have a great hatred of gnomes and hobbits, hearing this just... turn me off the hyper, greatly, i mean, Come on!]

my friends and i play the Tabletop 4th ed and i had a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> swodmage gnome that worked suprisingly well lol
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    as far as i know there is no +STR race so far (and halflings for some weird rason have +constitution whereas tieflings and half elfes have + charisma - makes NO sense to me but well)

since there is no + strength race, i think half orcs would be the race to add next...

i also think they should add malus and not only bonus to the system (i think this is gone in d&d4?)
    edited October 2012
    as far as i know there is no +STR race so far (and halflings for some weird rason have +constitution whereas tieflings and half elfes have + charisma - makes NO sense to me but well)

since there is no + strength race, i think half orcs would be the race to add next...

i also think they should add malus and not only bonus to the system (i think this is gone in d&d4?)
    Don't male races have +4 to STR?

lol. Ok very bad and old joke.

*ducks*
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Don't male races have +4 to STR?

lol. Ok very bad and old joke.

*ducks*

you will stopp laughing once they introduce gender locks.... b:pleased
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    you will stopp laughing once they introduce gender locks.... b:pleased

Aren't those called Chastity Belts? b:laugh

*S&P resurrect, show a copy of the obscenity laws and they reluctantly despawn*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I fervently hope that eladrin and gnomes are available at launch, whether they're free or not--my assumption is that the races on the Races page are the free ones.

On the more exotic side, shardminds also have a special place in my heart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I fervently hope that eladrin and gnomes are available at launch, whether they're free or not--my assumption is that the races on the Races page are the free ones.

Shardminds, oh yea. XD Genasi were my favorite personally, but I just liked the idea of having interesting racial abilities, instead of the regular +# stats that every race has.
  • korogorkorogor Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Let's see, Fey'ri, Sylth, Orog. Hmm... I could go on but there may not be room.
  • amainpainbringeramainpainbringer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Half-Orc which im sure will be in eventually. The race I really want but i'm sure will never happen would be Firbolg
    edited October 2012
    Half-Orc which im sure will be in eventually. The race I really want but i'm sure will never happen would be Firbolg

Yea...while I love the idea of a firbolg character, I dont see it in the cards with this game for a long time at least. We might get lucky and someone at Cyrptic has read Cleric Quintet, but we'll just have to wait and see friend.
  • torgaardtorgaard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Eladrin definitely need to be in there (imo). Taking back Myth Drannor re-establishing the eladrin civilization there and throughout Cormanthor is a pretty big deal.

I guess I'd like to see the following. I fully realize this list is probably way too long for them to actually fit into the game (for now), but I guess we'll call it my Wish List. With one or two exceptions, it's basically what I allow in my 4E Forgotten Realms campaign:
    • Human
    • Elf
    • Eladrin
    • Dwarf
    • Gnome
    • Halfling
    • Half-elf
    • Half-orc
    • Goliath
    • Tiefling
    • Shifters - I can live with this one. Basically a distilled race of lycanthrope offspring seems sorta reasonable.
    • Dragonborn - Little too "out there" for my campaigns, but considering their presence in Abeir, I kinda gotta let them in.
    • Drow - While I loathe the idea of another cliched Drizzt Do'Urden knockoff, and almost immediately squash any attempts my players make to justify making a drow, I gotta add it to the list. They're also right there in one of the 4E Forgotten Realms source books, so there ya go.
    • Genasi - Way WAY too over-the-top for me and my campaigns, but again; they're basically explicitly detailed in one of the 4E Forgotten Realms source books, so I guess I gotta put 'em on the list
    • Shade - With the return of the Empire of Netheril, how expansionist they are, how it seems like the Shadovar are everywhere (to one degree or another); I gotta put this one on the list.
    • Shadar-kai - Doesn't get much more emo than these guys, but I gotta put them on the list for the same reason as the Shades.

Everything else is just a little too much for me (ie Orc's as players, Kobold's, Deva's, over-the-top stuff like that).
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Aasimar of course lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited October 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Aasimar of course lol
    deva you mean. (4e)
    edited October 2012
    deva you mean. (4e)

No, deva's are beings who can never die. They just reincarnate over and over. Aasimar are the offspring of celestials and humans and can very well die.
    edited October 2012
    valas625 wrote: »
    No, deva's are beings who can never die. They just reincarnate over and over. Aasimar are the offspring of celestials and humans and can very well die.
    You missed bracket - 4e

gods and devils are unable to produce offsprings now. So are devas.
  • z0mb13n1njas0l1dz0mb13n1njas0l1d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm not familiar with Neverwinter lore but I'd love to be able to play a vampire race of some kind.
    edited October 2012
    I'm not familiar with Neverwinter lore but I'd love to be able to play a vampire race of some kind.

I doubt they'll ever do this sir, simply because of how much this would break the game. It's like playing a shade, as fun as it would be, I doubt they'll ever actually add it.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Haha, perhaps they'll allow appearances to be customized enough to appear as a vampire though.

IN NWN1 vampires were nothing more than a pale player model, physically they looked similar and it makes sense. I had a friend who actually made a character with the same appearance as a vampire and had several items with "Immunity to ____" so that when player's examined him the lore and his stats appeared to be a vampire.
    It was nothing more than an illusion but it was eye-catching non-the-less!

Shape-changing, built in regeneration and all the other nasty business would without a doubt be game breaking..but that doesn't mean you can't be inventive and take on the appearance and abilities of a vampire through items. ;-D
    edited October 2012
    Haha, perhaps they'll allow appearances to be customized enough to appear as a vampire though.

IN NWN1 vampires were nothing more than a pale player model, physically they looked similar and it makes sense. I had a friend who actually made a character with the same appearance as a vampire and had several items with "Immunity to ____" so that when player's examined him the lore and his stats appeared to be a vampire.
    It was nothing more than an illusion but it was eye-catching non-the-less!

Shape-changing, built in regeneration and all the other nasty business would without a doubt be game breaking..but that doesn't mean you can't be inventive and take on the appearance and abilities of a vampire through items. ;-D

I love this idea! Although they could do it like the fish in wow that turned people into ninja's/pirates. Temporary items that change you into different were-creatures/night creatures would be cool. With maybe 1 or 2 passive abilities. Nothing that breaks the game, but that gives you a decent buff. Of course they'd have to be INCREDIBLY hard to gain and you can only hold 1 at a time, with no trading ability. I know this is long and drawn out idea, but I think it'd be cool to see made.
    edited October 2012
    Actually since Heroes of Shadow Vampire is also a PC class. Here's the first level of 30 from the PnP game:

Vampire

CLASS TRAITS
    Role: Striker. Infused with the power of darkness and having already experienced death, you are a lethal creature of the night. As your power increases, your supernatural nature comes to the fore?but will your humanity pay the price?
    Power Source: Shadow.
    Key Abilities: Dexterity, Charisma

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth.
    Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged.
    Implement: Holy symbols, ki focuses
    Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Will.

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12+ Constitution Score.
    Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
    Healing Surges per Day: 2

Trained Skills: From the class skills list below, choose 4 trained skills at 1st level.
    Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Arcana (Int), Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), History (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (Wis), Religion (Int), Stealth (Dex), Thievery (Dex).

Class features: Blood Drinker, Blood Is Life, Child of the Night, Enduring Soul, Hidden Might, Swarm of Shadows, Vampire At-Will Attack Powers, Vampiric Reflexes.
    You are a monster, fated and infected by a vile curse that transformed you into a creature of nightmare. Normal emotions have become alien to you. Only cold, gnawing hunger remains.
    Most of those who become vampires are victims of monstrous attacks, created by a callous hunter who drained them dry of blood and life force, then cast them aside. Others seek out this path from their own fear of infirmity and death, discovering the arcane rites and alchemical formulas that promise dark power. In some cases, a character finds his or her vampirism invoked by an ancient family curse, or that he or she is a member of an extended clan of vampires who pass their blood down to those they deem worthy?whether by choice or not.
    Whatever their origins, vampire characters are not slaves to their creators. Even those beholden to an older vampire retain free will, and have a chance to avoid sinking into the bestial depravity so common among their kind. Vampire characters are the most exceptional examples of those who carry this dark curse, using their powers not solely for murder and personal gain. Some become the greatest of heroes, but even those vampires are aware that few among the common folk have the ability to see past the frightening reality of their dark nature. Avoiding the scrutiny of superstitious folk and disguising his or her needs and abilities serves a vampire best. Trusted companions, enemies to slay and feast upon, and reasons to avoid civilized areas for extended times make an adventuring life the perfect choice for such characters.

VAMPIRE CLASS FEATURES

Level 1:

BLOOD DRINKER
    You gain the blood drinker power.

Vampire Attack Blood Drinker

When your attack strikes true, you sweep past your foe?s defenses to consume the essence of its life.
    Encounter Shadow
    No Action Personal
    Trigger: You hit an enemy with a vampire melee at-will attack power.
    Target: The triggering enemy
    Effect: The target takes 1d10 extra damage from the triggering attack, and you gain a healing surge.
    Level 17: 2d10 extra damage.
    Level 27: 3d10 extra damage.

BLOOD IS LIFE
    Once during a short rest, an ally adjacent to you can willingly lose one healing surge to allow you to regain hit points equal to your bloodied value. You regain hit points equal to your bloodied value.
    If you end a short rest with more healing surges than your usual number of healing surges for the day, you lose any healing surges beyond that number but regain all your hit points.

CHILD OF THE NIGHT
    You gain the following benefits and weaknesses.
    * You are an undead creature. You are unaffected by anything that affects only living creatures. You don?t need to breathe, which means you are immune to suffocation. You also don?t age. Unlike most undead, you do need to sleep.
    * You have darkvision.
    * You have resist 5 necrotic.
    * You have vulnerable 5 radiant.
    * If you end your turn in direct sunlight and lack a protective covering such as a cloak or other heavy clothing, you take 5 radiant damage (plus additional damage from your radiant vulnerability) from the sunlight, and you are weakened (save ends). If you drop below 1 hit point from this damage, you are instantly destroyed.

ENDURING SOUL
    While you are bloodied, you gain regeneration equal to your Charisma modifier. If you take radiant damage, your regeneration does not function until the end of your next turn.

HIDDEN MIGHT
    You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of your vampire powers and vampire paragon path powers. The bonus equals your Charisma modifier. The bonus increases to 2 + your Charisma modifier at 5th level, 4 + your Charisma modifier at 15th level, and 6 + your Charisma modifier at 25th level.

SWARM OF SHADOWS
    You gain the swarm of shadows power.

Vampire Attack 1

Swarm of Shadows

Your body becomes a swarm of batlike shadows that let you harry your enemies, then fade from sight.
    Daily Implement, Shadow, Teleportation
    Standard Action Close blast 3
    Target: Each enemy in the blast
    Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 3d6 + Dexterity modifier damage, and ongoing 5 damage (save ends).
    Miss: Half damage.
    Effect: You teleport to a square in the blast and are invisible until the end of your next turn.

VAMPIRE AT-WILL ATTACK POWERS
    You gain the dark beckoning, taste of life, and vampire slam powers.

Vampire Attack 1

Dark Beckoning

Your mesmerizing presence draws your enemies closer.
    At-Will Charm, Implement, Psychic, Shadow
    Standard Action Ranged 5
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Charisma + 2 vs. Will
    Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier psychic damage, and you pull the target up to 3 squares.
    Level 21: 2d6 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.

Vampire Attack 1

Taste of Life

Your dread touch burns your foe with dark power, even as your own energy is temporarily restored.
    At-Will Implement, Necrotic, Shadow
    Standard Action Melee 1
    Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 1d8 + Dexterity modifier necrotic damage, and you gain temporary hit points equal to 2 + your Charisma modifier.
    Level 21: 2d8 + Dexterity modifier necrotic damage.

Vampire Attack 1

Vampire Slam

You use the full force of your undead strength to drive your foe back.
    At-Will Implement, Shadow
    Standard Action Melee 1
    Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1d10 + Dexterity modifier damage, and you can push the target 1 square.
    Level 21: 2d10 + Dexterity modifier damage.
    Special: You can use this power as a melee basic attack.

VAMPIRIC REFLEXES
    You gain a +2 shield bonus to AC while you are wearing cloth armor or no armor and aren?t using a shield.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Actually since Heroes of Shadow Vampire is also a PC class. Here's the first level of 30 from the PnP game:
    i haz been ninja-ed on the reply.

There is also necromancer, witch, assassin and shadowmancer class. I don't expect vampire to be in at launch.

p.s. Vampire is not a race but a class.
  • alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've Said it before and I'll say it again: kobold and goblins ( even though they're monsters).
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • kasyeekasyee Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We already are sure bout:
    -humans
    -drows
    -elves
    -half-elves
    -tieflings
    -dwarfs

I really want to see also:
    - halflings (my favourite one)
    - half-orcs (wont play it but for others and the lore...)\
    - Eladrin

But without halflings.... I just cant imagine it :D/
    edited October 2012
    kasyee wrote: »
    -humans
    -drows
    -elves
    -half-elves
    -tieflings
    -dwarfs
    - halflings (my favourite one)

- half-orcs (wont play it but for others and the lore...)\
    - Eladrin

But with halflings.... I just can imagine it :D/
    Corrected it for you. They have been confirmed.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    kasyee wrote: »
    -elves

- Eladrin

Just to clear any confusion that there may be. The Eladrin are now the "common" Elves of the Realms. With the return of the Feywilds after the Cataclysms, ancient elves are once again coming from the Feywilds and returning to the Realms. More and more 'native elves' are adopting their ancient and lost heritage and following the Eladrin ways. This doesn't mean that all Elves in (PnP) the Realms are now Eladrin however.

In the Neverwinter Campaign Guide, it clearly states that a player of an elf needs to choose whether they are of the Feywilds or Natives of the Realms. Since elves live for thousands of years in the Realms, this means there could potentially always be 'native elves,' however they will continue to become less and less dominant as more Eladrin come in from the Feywilds and more 'native elves' adopt the ways of the Eladrin and mingle with them, having Eladrin offspring.

What I, personally, would like to see is when I choose "elf" that there be a choice to choose whether I come from the Feywilds (being Eladrin) or a choice of being a 'native elf' - with the latter choice going deeper and further allowing me to choose whether I am a Native Sun, Moon, Sylvan, or Wild Elf.

In D&D, racial heritage is very important to me and I don't want to feel diminished in this aspect, no matter what race I choose. Just as being able to detail my characters in a role-playing way is also very important to me. I want to be able to share that easily with other players in the game through a very detailed character biography page that would look similar to an actual Character Sheet's first section. I don't want just a blank biography field liek we have in STO -- I would like to see individual fields for many aspects found on a character sheet to entice players to fill in such things.
  • kasyeekasyee Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Corrected it for you. They have been confirmed.

Im happy now :D