What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Opinion poll - Wanted divine classes

Comments

• Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited January 2013
    We haven't seen any cleric updates from developers I'm wondering if they are having trouble implementing a healing class in an action mmo.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We haven't seen any cleric updates from developers I'm wondering if they are having trouble implementing a healing class in an action mmo.

Based on stuff that was suggested, it looks like they are still internally testing the class. I'm betting it's the entire character setup balance and not just the healing class part though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited January 2013
    Based on stuff that was suggested, it looks like they are still internally testing the class. I'm betting it's the entire character setup balance and not just the healing class part though.

I appreciate the initiative taken by them to make it different than other mmos, I hope this doesn't end up being their downfall. Simple pnp style gameplay has never failed in any dnd game ive ever played.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I appreciate the initiative taken by them to make it different than other mmos, I hope this doesn't end up being their downfall. Simple pnp style gameplay has never failed in any dnd game ive ever played.
    Actually, irrespective of what they say "based of..." the game looks quite
    faithful to 4e PnP. Its just that they have taken it up one level by turning turn based system to active battle - just like final fantasy 4 evolved the series by ATB in them.

It is just the next step in evolution of D&D games.
  • Options
    battlehealerbattlehealer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would say Paladin or Battle Cleric.
  • Options
    cybertroll62cybertroll62 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2013
    I'll try and not list the entire PH2.(Not PH3, that is Psionics.)

The gods and primordials in the Dawn War used the Prime Material Plane (including the planet adventurers are on) as their battleground causing much destruction to the creatures of the earth. The Primal spirits rose up and defended the world literally severing direct access completely for the gods and (mostly) for the Primordials. To this day they defend the natural world from such incursions again. Creatures that defend the earth are able to tap into the primal power, maybe even the spirits themselves. When these who tap into the primal power die, they join the earth and have the possibility of being a primal spirit themselves. Spirits don't always take the form of creatures and can also take the form of certain aspects of nature from storms and fires and so forth. The most famous of the Primal powers that has existed for several editions (and now is called the said Primal power) is the World Serpent most currently mentioned ih the 4E PH2 and primal Power books respectively.

As for Rangers, including the beastmasters:

Hope that clears up a few things.

I am still confused as to why Barbarian's get their powers from Primal Powers, when they have nothing that is even remotely due to anything but Martial Training.

While Rangers, who are more attuned to Nature and Fearun itself, and have a Power that can be directly due to Primal Powers (Beastmaster's Animal Companion), get the Martial Powers...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I am still confused as to why Barbarian's get their powers from Primal Powers, when they have nothing that is even remotely due to anything but Martial Training.
    The primal spirits help the barbarians. They are very attuned to spirits. For example, Gray tribe barbarians eat their meat raw - like wolves or other predators. They use the natural spirits of the earth for power - they attune themselves to wild side of nature. Their strength not only comes from muscles, but their ferocity is made stronger by their living like animals. Attuning themselves to nature, they can call upon spirits for that last boost of strength or life when most needed.
    While Rangers, who are more attuned to Nature and Fearun itself, and have a Power that can be directly due to Primal Powers (Beastmaster's Animal Companion), get the Martial Powers...
    It is not a Nature power. It is like training a Lion for a zoo - it actually goes against what is nature. The power of beast depends on the control of Ranger. More control freak a ranger is, better the beast will obey. This goes against principles of freedom of wild animals. Nothing to do with nature.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    The primal spirits help the barbarians. They are very attuned to spirits. For example, Gray tribe barbarians eat their meat raw - like wolves or other predators. They use the natural spirits of the earth for power - they attune themselves to wild side of nature. Their strength not only comes from muscles, but their ferocity is made stronger by their living like animals. Attuning themselves to nature, they can call upon spirits for that last boost of strength or life when most needed..

So, only Ferocious Animals need apply?!?!?! No Rabbit or Tortoise Spirit for Barbarians! Just Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

It is not a Nature power. It is like training a Lion for a zoo - it actually goes against what is nature. The power of beast depends on the control of Ranger. More control freak a ranger is, better the beast will obey. This goes against principles of freedom of wild animals. Nothing to do with nature.

Interesting take on why an Animal would follow them... Against centuries of Fearun Lore (And decades of D&D and fantasy lore for that matter), which made the Ranger have a specific (Or in some cases several) Animal that they were attuned too, and that suddenly just followed them one day. I guess in 4e, they go out, hunt down the specific animal they want as a companion, capture it, tame it, and teach it tricks

Using a comperable Logic, since a Wizard gets a Familiar that is a normal animal, he then would be harnessing Primal Powers, or would that be Martial?
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So, only Ferocious Animals need apply?!?!?! No Rabbit or Tortoise Spirit for Barbarians! Just Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

Ahh I missed your replies CT :)

Interesting take on why an Animal would follow them... Against centuries of Fearun Lore (And decades of D&D and fantasy lore for that matter), which made the Ranger have a specific (Or in some cases several) Animal that they were attuned too, and that suddenly just followed them one day. I guess in 4e, they go out, hunt down the specific animal they want as a companion, capture it, tame it, and teach it tricks

Using a comperable Logic, since a Wizard gets a Familiar that is a normal animal, he then would be harnessing Primal Powers, or would that be Martial?

Actually the wizard and ranger are both considered to have their "animal" as an extension of themselves at times, just through different manners. But while rangers seek mastery over nature, barbarians seek to partner with it and wizards seek to alter the natural world to their whims.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    Avenger. My favorite class ever. ;)
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    So, only Ferocious Animals need apply?!?!?! No Rabbit or Tortoise Spirit for Barbarians! Just Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!...

What the?????????????????

How ridiculous!

Are you actually insinuating that rabbit are not ferocious?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What the?????????????????

How ridiculous!

Are you actually insinuating that rabbit are not ferocious?

I knew you would post that clip when I wrote rabbits. ROFL

Exception that makes the rule...

I so wanted to write Rabbit and Newt! ROFLMAO
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I knew you would post that clip ...

Well, knowing you, I knew you knew :)

But I guess, you knew I knew you knew.

Now I think I knew your knew I knew you knew .... .... .... .... ....

Ah! Pitfalls of a high wisdom character....
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    wizards seek to alter the natural world to their whims.

Transmutation ftw.
  • Options
    palydyn3palydyn3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Given my screen name is Palydyn3 I have to go with palidins - lol
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Paladin, most definitely.
    Accept no substitute!

(I prefer a Strength-based 'Avenging Paladin' wielding a two-handed sword).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I expected Paladins to dominate because they are an old core class but I'm surprised Invokers are keeping up with Avengers. Who doesn't like a character who smites their enemies with a big ole two handed weapon?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I expected Paladins to dominate because they are an old core class but I'm surprised Invokers are keeping up with Avengers. Who doesn't like a character who smites their enemies with a big ole two handed weapon?

Don't you want to play as Knights of Nii? How does Avenger even compare to THAT?
  • Options
    lordxeranlordxeran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Necromancer. Super fun idea. Gain bonuses upon surounding death, can reanimate dead mobs as undead pets, can heal as well of course, though to make it fair would probably only self hea;l and heal it's summons. It would be cool to have a kind of commander type divine caster whose playstyle was summoning pets raised from those you've killed.
    action point generation - mobs dieing nearby
    At wills - life drain that does light damage and self heals a moderate amount/deathburst that is a small radius aoe centered on caster that does more damage to those with lowest health.
    Encounters and daily abilities can be undead creation from fallen mobs, pet buffs, and aoe damage.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    lordxeran wrote: »
    Necromancer. ...

You mean cleric? They are already in.

Cleric do not need to become undead - they already have mastery of undeath. They need not sacrifice their life unlike arcane or shadow counterparts for they already know the secret of life.
  • Options
    philargyriaphilargyria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would have to go with Invoker, I've always been a player who prefers casters over melee classes, especially clerics. An all casting cleric class is my comfort zone :)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    From the choices in the poll, I would go with Paladin, for sure. Although, I'd still go with a Druid first, but alas they are no longer a Divine Class in 4e.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    From the choices in the poll, I would go with Paladin, for sure. Although, I'd still go with a Druid first, but alas they are no longer a Divine Class in 4e.

I think cryptic should take note that druids, rangers, bards, monks and paladins are kind of most demanded classes right now. They should probably put them in launch or soon after launch.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I think cryptic should take note that druids, rangers, bards, monks and paladins are kind of most demanded classes right now. They should probably put them in launch or soon after launch.
    Yeah, I don't know how many times I've been tempted to.. even as I write this, buy the expansion and/or druid class in DDO JUST to play a druid in a D&D PC Game. I keep making my resist check though. :)

Despite me being a mainly-caster player in MMOs, Paladin was my first class in DDO. Right now, my main character is a Ranger.
  • Options
    cptstabbin2376cptstabbin2376 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Paladins are only gonna be awesome if they are specialized to different gods. Paladins are basically holy warriors with divine powers. I would hope that it is possible to be a Paladin of Cyric or Bane and sow the seeds of strife across the lands, and not be limited to the Mr.Goody-twoshoes Lawful Good garbage.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ... I would hope that it is possible to be a Paladin of Cyric or Bane and sow the seeds of strife across the lands, and not be limited to the Mr.Goody-twoshoes Lawful Good garbage.

Evil Paladin in 4e mechanics is possible. Though thematically discouraged.

There are blackguards too - and evil avengers are encouraged instead.
  • Options
    zephelxzephelx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Invoker! Divine wrath is too much fun.
  • Options
    ahrimavizxahrimavizx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Definitely Avenger. A divine assassin sounds pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to me!
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    Didn't you forget druids? Of course some might argue that's a "hybrid class". I could argue either way.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Didn't you forget druids? Of course some might argue that's a "hybrid class". I could argue either way.

Druids are primal - not divine.

Shoo!!!

:p