test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What race you want to see in the Launch?

firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As the title said, what race you want to see in/after launch of the game?
in DnD there are plentyful races to choise but we dont know what races will be "playable" in this game

the Devs made many races in STO but is because its was a direct Copypasta from humans model as base and add few things in it to create the races we know and now are playing(if there is STO players in this forum)

i created this thread to made know what race want the people of this forum to create and play in game and maybe someday when the devs read this thread (unlikely) maybe they will add it.... maybe...

I start, I really want to play as Genasi, elementals people FTW!
Post edited by firelordzx5 on

Comments

• jojinraiunjojinraiun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Races

They have listed the races they are including thus far.

However, with Cryptic's Customization any humanoid race could be possible, as long as it didn't upset balance of power.
  • enygmasoulenygmasoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Won't be around at launch, apparently, but I do hope they eventually get around to halflings, if for no other reason than I like using tiny agile folk in classes normally reserved for big heavy brutes :)
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use "
    -- Galileo Galilei
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jojinraiun wrote: »
    Races

They have listed the races they are including thus far.

However, with Cryptic's Customization any humanoid race could be possible, as long as it didn't upset balance of power.

Yes, but I'm not including the already announced,*I am talking about more and beyond.

also the customization in the alien and others races of sto do not suprised me

Enygmasoul

... the classes are far from finished... the cleric and ranger is still pending and maybe they are still planning more classes, bosses and maps, they already are focuses in the foundry and the cleric (to "get" it right), so the launch is maybe in 2014, so everything is possible withing that range of time
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This topic has been done before here.

And halflings will be in the launch-able races; glad I remembered to post it in my FAQ:
    What Races and Classes are listed as released for Neverwinter Online?

As per the Neverwinter FAQ when possible, the listed races and classes for the initial release will be:
    Races-- Human Half-Elf, Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Tiefling and Halfling is mentioned in this Raging Nerds E3 interview, around the 3:00 mark.

And for the record, looking forward to the addition of Eladrin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This topic has been done before here.

And halflings will be in the launch-able races; glad I remembered to post it in my FAQ:

And for the record, looking forward to the addition of Eladrin.

Actually, that brings up a question:

I see "Eladrin" everywhere and sometimes they are interchanged with Elf. What are the differences and similarities?

When did this term start?

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I see "Eladrin" everywhere and sometimes they are interchanged with Elf. What are the differences and similarities?

JS

Technically 2nd edition.
    Eladrin debuted as several cards in the Blood Wars Card Game in 1995, including the Bralani, Coure, Firre Troops, Ghaele Elite, Noviere Raider, Shiere Crusaders, Faerinaal, Queen's Consort, Gwynarwhyf the Veiled, Tulani Champion, Tulani Warlord, and Faerie Queen Morwel.
    URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Eladrin&action=edit&section=2"]edit[/URL Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition (1989-1999)

Eladrin first appeared in a D&D product in Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II (1995). This book featured the greater eladrin: the tulani, the firre, and the ghaele. And the lesser eladrin: the bralani, the coure, the noviere, and the shiere.[1]

However, the racial divide as a PC selectable race started in 4th edition.
    Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition (2008-)
    Eladrin appeared in the preview product for 4th edition, Wizards Presents Races and Classes (2007).[8]
    Eladrin appear as one of the core player character races in the Players Handbook for this edition (2008). They are described as living in the Feywild and are the 4th edition equivalent to High or Grey Elves. The elves are eladrin who made their way to the mortal world after the war between Corellon and Lolth.[9] All elven races have the humanoid type and the fey origin in 4th edition.
    The Eladrin also appear in the Monster Manual (2008) for this edition, which includes the eladrin fey knight, the eladrin twilight incanter, the bralani of autumn winds, and the ghaele of winter.[10]
    In the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, the Moon and Sun Elves are now subgroups of Eladrin, as opposed to elves, as described in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (2008).
    The shiere knight is an Eladrin racial Paragon Path in the Player's Handbook 2 (2009).
    The eladrin also appeared in the fourth edition Monster Manual 2 (2009).
    The spiral tactician is an Eladrin racial Paragon Path in the Martial Power handbook (2010).

So Eladrin is the more academic or etherial-basd fey while the elf is the more prime material or primal based fey. Eladrins are more prone to be wizards (arcanist) while elves are more prone to be rangers, but the favored class left with third edition.

Eladrin get a racial bonus in int and either dex or chrasma and are trained in an extra skill (plus a bonus in Arcana and History) are proficient in longswords and can do an encounter short teleport called a Fey Step. Sub-races may vary slightly on this.

Elves get a racial bonus in dex and either Wisdom or Intelligence. They get personal bonuses in Nature and Perception, grant +1 bonuses to group Perception abilities, are proficient in the Longbow and Shortbow and can re-roll one missed attack an encounter called Elven Accuracy. Sub-races may vary slightly on this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    so my possiblities to have a genasis just... fade like smoke... included to see more.... the only race that they gonna include after launch is a hobbit?!
    all right is okay, I'm okay with this but I'm deeply disappointed...

[nothing personal but I have a great hatred of gnomes and hobbits, hearing this just... turn me off the hyper, greatly, i mean, Come on!]
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If we get those I'd be happy http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/races
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Dragonborn
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Human.

Or the emparah will invade!

(and some others which humans can hunt - sparkly eladrin, stubby dwarves, wieldable halflings (possibly those who can be weld as single handed weapons in both hands), annoying gnomes and emo drows ofcourse!!!)
    edited September 2012

JS

Eladrin are fey mages while elf are primal archers. Of course not always but a general way to differentiate.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    If we get those I'd be happy http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/races
    When I see the dwarf in that section, I think of Machete.
    And the ears of the elves seem too long. I have always pictured their ears as that of the half-elf.

I'll throw my vote for Dragonborn too.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    Dragonborn
    Ha! I knew that would be requested pretty quick. :D

As far as I'm concerned, "eladrin" is just a fancy term for moon elf and sun elf, so that's what I'd like to see.
    edited September 2012
    aavarius wrote: »

As far as I'm concerned, "eladrin" is just a fancy term for moon elf and sun elf, so that's what I'd like to see.

Technically, incorrect. Moon Elf and Sun Elf are now sub races of the Eladrin in 4E. As a matter of fact, from the Neverwinter Sourc Book if I remember correctly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    aavarius wrote: »

Eladrin are actually very fey and not elvish in 4e. For example, satyrs are a common theme wherever Eladrin are concerned. (Elf looks for potion to wake up a maiden from a comma, while eladrin tries to kiss the maiden).

Another thing concerning eladrin is their own vampire brethren who have formed a secret society. These vampires kidnap beautiful eladrin guys and girls and make them to vampires to preserve their beauty "forever". (The reason satyrs are better bards than eladrin - most high CHA eladrin end up becoming twilight vampire to 'preserve' beauty)

And satyrs and druids are very closely tied to eladrin, even when eladrin are more arcanish than primalish. Feywild is too deep a lore and even I haven't been able to delve in fey lands with confidence.

So no, eladrin cannot be considered what moon and sun elves were. But moon elves and sun elves can probably be substituted by eladrin - still they will be very different in outlook, the way they think and their origin.
    edited September 2012
    DM: You see a frog. What do you do?

Human Man: nothing.
    Human woman: eeekkk

Dwarven Man: Take it to have a snack with beer ya!
    Dwarven Woman: Protect my beard lest it jump on it ye!

Halfling: Use it as a transport?

Elf: Kill it and use its poisonous. Wait, its poisonous right?

Shadar-kai: Kill it lest it give away our position.

Eladrin Woman: KISS IT!!!
    Eladrin Man: Throw garbage on him. He is a competitor!

Drow: Lolth likes to eat frogs... I will poison it.

Dragonborn: I like frog stew! *coughs* Oh well! Roasted frog is ok too.

====~~~~
    Necromancer: I will put the curse on Eladrin using standard action...
    DM: No don't do that!
    Eladrn: Yay!!!
    Necromancer: confused, Why what happened? Did it not work?
    DM: Thats a problem. It worked and now I have to put this campaign on hold and make a seperate mission dedicated to a "fairy tale" removal of curse using stupid apple and witch story....
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Eladrin are actually very fey and not elvish in 4e. For example, satyrs are a common theme wherever Eladrin are concerned. (Elf looks for potion to wake up a maiden from a comma, while eladrin tries to kiss the maiden).

Another thing concerning eladrin is their own vampire brethren who have formed a secret society. These vampires kidnap beautiful eladrin guys and girls and make them to vampires to preserve their beauty "forever". (The reason satyrs are better bards than eladrin - most high CHA eladrin end up becoming twilight vampire to 'preserve' beauty)

And satyrs and druids are very closely tied to eladrin, even when eladrin are more arcanish than primalish. Feywild is too deep a lore and even I haven't been able to delve in fey lands with confidence.

So no, eladrin cannot be considered what moon and sun elves were. But moon elves and sun elves can probably be substituted by eladrin - still they will be very different in outlook, the way they think and their origin.

I don;t know whether to hate you more for the vampire eladrin spoilers or for the twilight references. I'd better sleep on it! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eshnickeshnick Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2012
    400 meter...

Oh, wait...
  • wkbuilderwkbuilder Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Surprised no one has mentioned gnomes here. Or half-orcs seeing as they were both stock races in NWN 1&2.

Personally I would also like to see some monstrous races such as orc, kobold, or goblin. One of my fav table top PC's was a Wemic. Now that would be bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • karnoshankarnoshan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want Dragonborn dammit!

speaking of them, I need a lore clarification. It's been a while but I swear it said somewhere that on rare occasion some Dragonborn grow small wing sor even tails, am I wrong?
    edited September 2012
    karnoshan wrote: »

speaking of them, I need a lore clarification. It's been a while but I swear it said somewhere that on rare occasion some Dragonborn grow small wing sor even tails, am I wrong?

link and zelda.
    edited September 2012
    wkbuilder wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned gnomes here. Or half-orcs seeing as they were both stock races in NWN 1&2.

Personally I would also like to see some monstrous races such as orc, kobold, or goblin. One of my fav table top PC's was a Wemic. Now that would be bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Although I did finish NWN2 as a Gnome Warlock (Vitriolic Eldritch Chain ftw), I've got to say that overall the race has always felt somewhat redundant to me. One default race of short people with an inherent sense of mischief always seemed to be enough for me, and halflings always seemed to do the job better.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use "
    -- Galileo Galilei
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Gnolls or bust.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    karnoshan wrote: »

I want them too. You can as quoted from Dragonborn PH "sprout great draconic wings" if you choose the Platinum Templar as a paragon path.

Or Storm Dragon Paragon "By the time you reach the end of the path, wings sprout from your back, and you fight with all the savagery of the storm dragon."

or the Epic Destiny Servant of IO "When you complete your final quest, you have either reunited enough of Io's scattered power or amassed enough power ofyour own to restore 10 to life. In a dazzling transformation, your body unfolds and expands, like a butterfly emerging from its cramped chrysalis. Enormous wings spread from your back, thick scales cover your hide, and your thundering roar shakes the earth. You have become 10among the mightiest of gods."

SO yah you can get wings

no tail though unless you become Io

funny his name is Io just like the lady turned into a cow by Hera in Greek mythology.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rekluze057rekluze057 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think a Bullywug would be fun for their mechanics alone, being able to jump around like that in an action MMO and all.
    edited September 2012

SO yah you can get wings

You left out the only dragonborn that actually flies using dragon power - scion of arkhosia. (the one in the link I provided without zelda).
    edited September 2012
    I like Monstrous Humanoids races
    It would be cool to have dragonborns and hobgoblins, genasis (although They look the same as human) I mean, something very unique and exotic and in the same time, common as Playable character.

just look in the tielfling! physically they look demonic, is like playing a demon in a MMO something that is very unlikely in others, but by lore, they are humans that changed by a pact that now is expired, now they can be anything they want (or what the player want)
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like Monstrous Humanoids races
    It would be cool to have dragonborns and hobgoblins, genasis (although They look the same as human) I mean, something very unique and exotic and in the same time, common as Playable character.

just look in the tielfling! physically they look demonic, is like playing a demon in a MMO something that is very unlikely in others, but by lore, they are humans that changed by a pact that now is expired, now they can be anything they want (or what the player want)

You know Dragonborn is a native race in 4.0? don't ask me to quote the lore though cause I can't
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    On the Eladrin, keep in mind that not all elves in the Realms are Eladrin now. It was not a magical *snap* and all elves are now Eladrin. There are still Faerun-originating elves through out the Realms but are becoming less dominant as the more ancient Eladrin are now coming from the Feywilds that were opened up from the Spellplague and alignments of Abeir and Toril. As well, Torilian elves are also accepting the new-found ancient history of their peoples and going back to the Feywild or adopting the Eladrin way of life. The 4e books even state that when making an elf, the player needs to decide if they come from the Feywild (Eladrin) or if they are native to the Realms.

So while there are many Eladrin Sun and Moon Elves now, native Torilian Sun and Moon Elves that have never been to the Feywilds are also still existent.

I hope NWO allows us to make such a choice also.

On an unrelated note and back to the main topic, I would love to play a Beholder. As that will most likely never happen... I would then love to play a Half-Dragon/Half-Elf.
    edited September 2012

JS

The simple explanation is:
    Elves in previous editions had a culture that was cluttered and pulling in multiple directions at once.
    So they decided to split them into two races. Eladrin are your "arcane elves', and Elves are your "nature elves".
    To put it in terms of common archetypes from the race in previous editions.
    Need an elven archmage or a refined graceful rapier-wielding duelist? That's Eladrin.
    Need an elven ranger, druid, or savage? That's Elves.

Sun Elves, Moon Elves = Eladrin
    Wood Elves, Wild Elves = Elf.

Nuff said.
    -- Galileo Galilei