test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poll: PvE vs PvP vs Foundry --> Where will you spend your time?

Comments

• hazrothhazroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited August 2012
    Option 1.

I'll definitely try PvP, but "dabble" seems like a strong word still. Unless the PvP truly stands out I'm sure trying will be all that I do in the game. PvE is just much more suiting and entertaining for me. Although, I do prefer allotted PvP zones in open world settings rather than battleground type scenarios.
  • paladinspiritpaladinspirit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mostly pve, i don't really enjoy pvp, but will try it out to see how it is set up,
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    Interesting! I wonder... would any of these opinions change if the Foundry allowed for PVP map creation?

I'm not a big PVPer myself, but all of my best pvp memories come from games where everyone didn't have the map layout already engraved in their memories. If there was a large library of pvp maps available, that would definitely entice me to do more than just "dabble" in pvp.
  • kronarchykronarchy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Interesting! I wonder... would any of these opinions change if the Foundry allowed for PVP map creation?

I'm not a big PVPer myself, but all of my best pvp memories come from games where everyone didn't have the map layout already engraved in their memories. If there was a large library of pvp maps available, that would definitely entice me to do more than just "dabble" in pvp.

i hereby second the motion that the Foundry enable the creation of PvP maps!
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That all depends on if the entire map is instanced like a dungeon, away from the rest of the server, selectable only by those that choose to pvp. If there is anything like open world PvP allowed, I would say heck no.

I personally do not want to see a WoW Wild West style open world pvp environment at all in Neverwinter.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I'd still be 100% PvE.

I have no objection to PvP, as long as it doesn't impede or cause game im-balance where PvE is changed to help balance PvP. I feel that PvP in Neverwinter should instead be managed to fit within PvE mechanics without changing it. Additionally, as long as it is not forced upon any player in order to experience lore and quests. Overall, I'd like to see the game's main focus and objectives be on PvE, RP, Lore, Adventure, Magic, NPCs, The Gods, D&D Community, Housing, the Rest of Faerun then Toril and the Planes, and so forth and so on.
  • deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012
    Depends how much I enjoy the dungeons-

If they have traps and puzzles, adventuring and the like (rather than just kill enemies, kill boss, finish), then I'd enjoy PVE.
    I really liked the dungeons in DDO where each member had a role that extended beyond tank, healer, dps (for example disarming, lockpicking, magical wards, forcing open levers etc).

I think the foundry will have a lot to offer in this regard; rather than having to go through the same dungeons over and over again, you could have a unique new experience each time.

In that case, I think I'd be fairly balanced...

Otherwise, PVP 90%

I find combat with other people a lot more engaging than with mobs.
    Devising tactics on the fly, gameplans, communication, the feeling of satisfaction from winning a hard fought battle against a difficult opponent, sacrificing myself to distract the enemy from following the flag carrier or capture point while reinforcements arrive; these are the things I enjoy.

I seem to be alone (or at least in the vocal minority) in prefering instanced "e-sports" to open world PVP. They are more organised, fairer, the battle is guaranteed to last more than a few minutes, have a clear, achievable objective to accomplish etc.

Offtopic:

I like fighting people out in the open in a duel to the death or small groups, but sieges/keeps etc seem like a big mess where I don't feel very important (that I have a notable impact on the tide of the battle), but more a part of a swarm of angry zerging bees.
    Usually the battle degenerates to where one faction hides in town, using the guards as protection (which are always wayyyy too strong to be overcome).

Perhaps if the objectives were spread out a little, so small teams could fight over points to affect the tide of the big battle (a little like a game called MAG).

Though as far as I know, Neverwinter doesn't have factions so this will be a non issue.
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That all depends on if the entire map is instanced like a dungeon, away from the rest of the server, selectable only by those that choose to pvp. If there is anything like open world PvP allowed, I would say heck no.

I personally do not want to see a WoW Wild West style open world pvp environment at all in Neverwinter.

I agree 100%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This will be the first of two polls on this subject. The first poll is a much less detailed, party-line vote styled poll. The second poll will get into the finer points.

So here we go!

For this poll, lets assume PvE and PvP are done extremely well, from your perspective. How do you see yourself spending the bulk of your time in Neverwinter?

1. 100% PvE

2. 100% PvP

3. 50%-50% PvE - PvP

4. PvE mostly, dabble in PvP

5. PvP mostly, dabble in PvE

My answer is #4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • henzaihenzai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 154
    edited August 2012
    My answer will be #4, but if pvp will be well executed I might switch thowards 50/50 or even more pvp than pve. But for that to happen the pvp really has to stand out. On the other hand I'd be disappointed if there won't be any duels, I really enjoy watching them. I might even duel someone myself if I feel like it.
    I've got the impression there won't be any alignments in the game, and haven't seen anything about factions but if there'll be guild pvp and i can help I will step up, nothing gets me fired up as helping a group of friends. I'm really excited to see how cryptic will handle pvp in this game. Openworld pvp between guilds in war is a good way to ad some excitement to the guild part of NWO
  • tarrax7tarrax7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    100% PvE myself.
  • porcoblueporcoblue Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just PvE.
    D&D is not about fight each other, but kill the bad guys and get the loot.
  • felsparfelspar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    1. 100% PvE

If I want to PVP then I'll play a PVP game. I've spent far too long in the past playing PVP bolted onto a PVE game, no more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Join Date: July 2008

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012

Almost assuredly not. My well known opinion is that I enjoy PvP games or I enjoy PvE games.
    There's no such thing as enjoyable PvP in a PvE game to date and I doubt anything Cryptic or the player content developers do will change that.

I'll always try something before I truly condemn it but after so many years I have no hope left...or really any desire. I have plenty of PvP games I enjoy so frankly I would prefer to let them stick to doing what they do best and let the PvE games focus on what they do best.

Add PvP as for those who want it, even for player content developers, but realize this is a PvE game and no matter what many of us will want absolutely nothing to do with any PvP system you put in place.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Almost assuredly not. My well known opinion is that I enjoy PvP games or I enjoy PvE games.
    There's no such thing as enjoyable PvP in a PvE game to date and I doubt anything Cryptic or the player content developers do will change that.

Well, to bring up an obvious example, NWN was designed as primarily a PvE game, but the user-generated content popularized PvP in the online portion of the game as well. Now I know the significant difference is that it's not an MMO, but still.

Though for me personally it doesn't matter, because I don't like PvP in RPGish games in general, and prefer to dabble in FPS or 2D fighter competitive games.
    edited August 2012

WOW, pre-TBC b:cool

All that is necessary is to have a variety of well designed maps/gametypes, and an incentive to play:
    Awesome looking PVP gear, ranks, titles, mounts etc. Earned competitively through accomplishment (rather than with money) so that they are prestigious.

Every time a new tier of dungeons comes out, a new tier of PVP gear should come. However, in order to make the hard work and previous accomplishments not become irrelevant, "honour" (or whatever moniker they choose) should not degrade over time, but stay with you and/or at least give a head-start into getting the next set.

-Lower level brackets should normalise the stats of low levelled players to be somewhat competitive (say 20-29 bracket: a lvl 21 would be buffed to lvl 27 much like Warhammer).

-Playing PVP should also earn money (a major gripe from some other games) in order for you to sustain yourself and afford equipment (instead of having to loan from friends).

-Pre-made groups should have priority in facing other pre-made groups over random pugs.

Have all that and the only problem is balance, but that is true in anything.

I was thinking, in order to solve the problem of PVE'ers being affected by PVP balance changes; either a second PVP specific talent tree could be offered with the balanced abilities (kind of like dual spec that would switch over between PVE/PVP), or the abilities could be balanced only when in PVP (different properties when attacking players).
    edited August 2012

you should take a look at RIFT. Trions done a great job at getting enjoyable pvp in their pve game.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kronarchy wrote: »
    you should take a look at RIFT. Trions done a great job at getting enjoyable pvp in their pve game.

Rift is a PvP game even on PvE servers. Above a certain level quest hubs are in "Contested" zones. In these contested zones players from the opposite faction can kill your quest NPCs and take over quest hubs, the only way to drive them out is to PvP flag yourself and kill them. The game encourages this by rewarding those attacking quest hubs and wardstones.

Trions current party line of not forcing you to PvP is extremely misleading, at best. Technically, you do not have to PvP, but PvPers can shut down your PvE experience.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    NWN and WoW are two very good examples of PvP systems I hated ^-^
    As for Rift I never played it but from what Andre said it sounds like an example of a good PvP game with bad PvE system sort of like Guild Wars.

However I guess I was a bit too vague in my original comment, while some may have liked PvP in certain games *I HAVE NEVER* enjoyed PvP in any game that wasn't directly a PvP game.

Honestly not worth suggesting anything although I do appreciate the sincerity in the attempts. My opinion is my own and while you're free to disagree I am merely expressing my own opinion which is not likely to ever change.

If I didn't state that I don't want anything to do with PvP, and I know others feel the same way, then the only opinion they'd get would result in a game such as Rift which allows PvPers to disturb the enjoyment of PvE Gamers.

My request is that they respect the fact this is a PvE game. Any PvP should be so far removed I don't have to even know it exists unless I want to know it exists.

A decent enough compromise?
  • byphbyph Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This will be the first of two polls on this subject. The first poll is a much less detailed, party-line vote styled poll. The second poll will get into the finer points.

So here we go!

For this poll, lets assume PvE and PvP are done extremely well, from your perspective. How do you see yourself spending the bulk of your time in Neverwinter?

1. 100% PvE

2. 100% PvP

3. 50%-50% PvE - PvP

100% PvE. I'm not into PvP at all in other games.

Honestly, for a D&D game PvP seems out of place. Tabletop D&D is about teamwork and PvE. I guess I'm looking for any D&D game to strive to bring us that tabletop experience. That's difficult enough without making the compromises that tend to happen when developers include both PvE and PvP in their game.
    edited August 2012
    My request is that they respect the fact this is a PvE game. Any PvP should be so far removed I don't have to even know it exists unless I want to know it exists.

Hey, that's fair enough; each to their own man.

Though I would like show off my shiny PVP armour around town and have you bask in my glory b:laugh huzzah!
    *kidding
    edited August 2012
    Ah, now that I don't mind at all :-)

I insist on keeping it separate because I detest the problems Andre described playing Rift.
    I've seen too many games try to promote PvP in their game by putting high end rewards in PvP areas. I can't stand that because the only result is making an already noticeable community division line that much clearer.

Be proud of your PvP kills...but only if they're on PvPers. I don't want any dragons dropping +10 Vorpal Greatswords of Doom tempting me into PvP areas that I want no part of. If I'm PvEing I want absolutely no risk of a PvPer coming up and ruining my day.

Keep the peace, keep them separate.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,370 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That depends especially since the old way of making maps and organized pvp is online gaming is nice but becoming a way of the past. Now if you had more than one faction for PvP for instance and had behind enemy lines type of things going on I would say it would be good for the foundry if per say you wanted to make player made regions where players could make maps and they would be added in generally as something that isn't instanced more like a channel where areas are linked together.

If its not done like that where you are just queing for a pvp match it doesn't make much difference if jim bob makes the map or if cryptic makes it.
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    frankelot wrote: »
    Option 1, 100% PvE.

I've never liked nor will I ever like PvP, and I've been playing mmorpgs for over 12 years now.
    I try to avoid PvP in every game I play as much as I can, even if it has a huge amount of it present. Of course in some games there's no avoiding it at least at some points, I will try to defend myself if I have to, but I really do prefer not actively looking for PvP.

I've always liked playing a "supportive" character, preferably one that is self-sufficient, because I have moments I like to be able to do some stuff alone as well. Meaning, I usually go for the healer or the buffer class. Part of my nature is to want to play "together" with others, not "against" them.

I never did have much of a need to feel superior or better than anyone else in something like videogame combat.

Besides, some people who do like PvP go through any length to win, including cheating and/or abusing bugs/flaws in a game. For which I have absolutely no understanding, I simply cannot comprehend why anyone would consider themselves better at something when they cheat, it's the cheat that won and not them lol.

Could not have put it any better myself. Although I do tend to make my thoughts a tad more "colorful". So it's best to say I agree with this whole post.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    WoW is a very good examples of PvP systems I hated ^-^

I'll drink to that.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
    edited August 2012
    Rift is a PvP game even on PvE servers. Above a certain level quest hubs are in "Contested" zones. In these contested zones players from the opposite faction can kill your quest NPCs and take over quest hubs, the only way to drive them out is to PvP flag yourself and kill them. The game encourages this by rewarding those attacking quest hubs and wardstones.

Trions current party line of not forcing you to PvP is extremely misleading, at best. Technically, you do not have to PvP, but PvPers can shut down your PvE experience.

this post is as misleading as you accuse Trion of being.

when you lose your quest hub in rift, 99 times out of 100 its not PvPers, but its PvE invasions on such a scale that you have no hope of taking it on solo. the only way to drive it off is to team up with others and kill them. the game encourages this by rewarding those who participate in defeating invasions.

and atleast half of those rare times when enemy faction players have taken over your hub, they've done so by clearing out the PvE invaders that were there first. they didnt come there to PvP. they came there to reap the rewards of PvE.

this is actualy one of the other things i like about rift. the PvE doesnt just sit there waiting for you to come kill it. it comes looking for you.
    edited August 2012
    Ah, now that I don't mind at all :-)

I insist on keeping it separate because I detest the problems Andre described playing Rift.
    I've seen too many games try to promote PvP in their game by putting high end rewards in PvP areas. I can't stand that because the only result is making an already noticeable community division line that much clearer.

Be proud of your PvP kills...but only if they're on PvPers. I don't want any dragons dropping +10 Vorpal Greatswords of Doom tempting me into PvP areas that I want no part of. If I'm PvEing I want absolutely no risk of a PvPer coming up and ruining my day.

Keep the peace, keep them separate.

as a PvPer, i fully support your desire to keep PvP and PvE seperate.
    i see no reason why we cant have two dragons that drop +10 Vorpal Greatswords of Doom, one in PvE for you. the other in PvP for me.
    though, to be honest, i ussualy preffer a sword and board setup rather than 2hander.
  • arbitreauxarbitreaux Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    3 or 5, probably... PvE is fun, but it's usually PvP that keeps me playing a game. It gives replay value for me, especially when coordinating with a group of like-minded PvP'ers.

It's worth noting that what I really don't want to see is massive PvE grinding required to make yourself viable in PvP. PvP acquired gear is a must. Maybe use a resilience-type stat to differentiate.
  • totaleclipstotaleclips Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012

So here we go!

1. 100% PvE

2. 100% PvP

3. 50%-50% PvE - PvP

1 and\or 4

PvP it is good, especially if through duels. PvE it is basis of game and continuation of genre that shows by itself the main attribute of game. Lately PvP became anymore a problem what by good addition. PvP as addition(only duels and special of territory) will relieve a game, otherwise it is a burden from for dishonourable players. If however there will be PvP, enter adequate punishments for serious misconducts(murder of low-level player and other cases). Otherwise a game quickly will grow into low-grade and monopolistic(the first unconscientious players will strongly undermine a desire to play to many novices).
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

So here we go!

1. 100% PvE

2. 100% PvP

3. 50%-50% PvE - PvP

I hate PvP. So I'll be doing 100% PvE.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
This discussion has been closed.