test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PRE-ORDER TORCHLIGHT 2

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2012
    Whether there will be other opportunities to get in the beta or not, "selling" them by getting people to order another game (which a huge profit will be made from, as the game in question looks lame) strikes me as wrong.

What's really going to happen is that everyone that spends the money on this "lame" game just to get access WILL get their access and will probably constitute >90% of all beta test accounts.

Oh sure, there will be SOME extra beta accounts, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if you're not paying for the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game to guarantee beta entry, you probably aren't going to get it.

It's just another way for the game developers to make even more money off the consumers. It's not an illegal scam because you have to make the choice to buy the subpar game for the access, but it's a scam nevertheless.

What troubles me most is that hundreds/thousands of people will spend another $20 for the subpar game just so they can get access to a couple of months of beta test time, thereby setting a precedent (legal term) for them and other companies to do it again in the future.

At first I thought I was getting old when games didn't seem as much fun to me anymore...now I think the politics of the industry is what is truly driving me away.
    edited April 2012
    Well I can see some are very willing to give their money to PW. Have fun with that. I'll wait in line like most everyone else here.

If you read carefully, I never made a pitch for a beta key for myself, but for those here from Day One. I do not believe I'm owed a key, or anything really.

My motive was simply to remind PW/Cryptic that the people most likely to talk positive and promote this game for them are the folks that are already doing it.

The timing was my only problem with the promotion, not the promotion itself. I stand by my belief that the timing was wrong, and it will remain my belief until I see them stand by their word to their newsletter's readers, which I'm sure will be coming down the pipe soon.
    edited April 2012
    Saco123 wrote:
    This is an all time low Cryptic. So in order for some guaranteed Beta access your forcing people to purchase PW products? What's next? $5, $10 dollar closed beta key sales? Have companies finally sinked this low that we're using shady methods to sell products?

Agreed--- I dont want to play torch (no offence) -.- :( I want to play NVRWNTR!!!
    What is wrong with you people? :confused:
    edited April 2012
    angelxeye wrote:
    Agreed--- I dont want to play torch (no offence) -.- :( I want to play NVRWNTR!!!
    What is wrong with you people? :confused:

Noone's forcing you to do anything.

If you originally wanted to play torchlight, you will be rewarded with an extra little bonus of a guaranteed CB key

If you never wanted to play torchlight, then you'll do what you'd do if the offer never existed in the first place - look out for key giveaways.

I really fail to see what problem this is - it's just a bunch of extra keys to test the game a few months before it's released. They're not hurting anyone, quite the oposite, they're bringing new people into the game and expanding the playerbase...
    edited April 2012
    vindicon wrote:

If you originally wanted to play torchlight, you will be rewarded with an extra little bonus of a guaranteed CB key

If you never wanted to play torchlight, then you'll do what you'd do if the offer never existed in the first place - look out for key giveaways.

I really fail to see what problem this is - it's just a bunch of extra keys to test the game a few months before it's released. They're not hurting anyone, quite the oposite, they're bringing new people into the game and expanding the playerbase...

I was just about to post this exact thing.
    edited April 2012
    The marketing and the fact they want money is not really important. What is important is the number of closed beta slots Cryptic will make. If torchlight 2 pool has no effect on the general pool - then it's ok with me.
    edited April 2012
    I love Torchlight. I hope Torchlight II is even better. Oh yeah, the NW Beta access is cool too. Dang! I wonder if CO lifers will get access too? Oh well. :)
    edited April 2012
    Respectfully I agree with many of the replies to Andre's 6-point post. Cross promotion is common for all companies and while active community members should be a decent percentage of testers, nobody deserves "entitlement keys" unless Cryptic/PWE says so. The promotion does not mean a small budget, apples and oranges. These responses are both from what Andre and multiple others have posted, and if I quoted them all, I'd be out of my 10k characters. I will say read wintersong's post. But I can quote a few specific here on other things.

vindicon wrote:

Good point but see below:
    Qumi wrote: »
    The marketing and the fact they want money is not really important. What is important is the number of closed beta slots Cryptic will make. If torchlight 2 pool has no effect on the general pool - then it's ok with me.

This is what concerns me. For the sake of forum argument that there is testing to be done, will slots for testers be greatly reduced given to those who bought the game, or has an additional allotment been made for those who also buy TLII?

Aesthier wrote:
    Whether there will be other opportunities to get in the beta or not, "selling" them by getting people to order another game (which a huge profit will be made from, as the game in question looks lame) strikes me as wrong.

What's really going to happen is that everyone that spends the money on this "lame" game just to get access WILL get their access and will probably constitute >90% of all beta test accounts.

Oh sure, there will be SOME extra beta accounts, but you can bet your bottom dollar that if you're not paying for the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game to guarantee beta entry, you probably aren't going to get it.

It's just another way for the game developers to make even more money off the consumers. It's not an illegal scam because you have to make the choice to buy the subpar game for the access, but it's a scam nevertheless.

What troubles me most is that hundreds/thousands of people will spend another $20 for the subpar game just so they can get access to a couple of months of beta test time, thereby setting a precedent (legal term) for them and other companies to do it again in the future.

At first I thought I was getting old when games didn't seem as much fun to me anymore...now I think the politics of the industry is what is truly driving me away.

Really? <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>? Sub-Par?
    Ever PLAY Torchlight? Before you mention how "sub par" this game is, know it's a very successful game (now series,) in the same genre of Diablo.

Whether you like it or not, know it's given a lot of thought and work, not like some games cranked out quickly after a few months.
    I love Torchlight. I hope Torchlight II is even better. Oh yeah, the NW Beta access is cool too. Dang! I wonder if CO lifers will get access too? Oh well. :)

Most likely they used to but with PWE in charge of Cryptic, a new access for an old lifetime is no guarantee. Many people who bought TL agree to the quality of the game. Personally, I took a break from the TL/Diablo game play but I will confess, I'm reconsidering both game series again.

Does anybody have the System Requirements for TL II?
    edited April 2012
    Here ya go Truth...
    Respectfully I agree with many of the replies to Andre's 6-point post....

Cross promotion, in itelf can be very effective. But I am just not a fan of how they did it, and when they did it.

I believe in motivating your core base first. I don't think that will be achieved until this website gets upgraded (May 1st hopefully), and the moderator(s) are here daily, full time. There is still a paltry number of registered forum users. Furthermore, it's clearly been a struggle for Storm and friends to answer the few questions that have been posed, many that were never answered. Without a strong foundation, there is no game.

Remember this game was supposed to be released as a coop game many months ago. Were they going to release it with THIS EMBARRASSING WEBSITE? I dont doubt PW/Cryptic's abilities, I just think they have been very lax on the customer service/marketing fronts thusfar. But that is beginning to change (PAX East would be exhibit A.). Don't worry, when they really kick it into high gear, I'll be there!

Good point but see below:

This is what concerns me. For the sake of forum argument that there is testing to be done, will slots for testers be greatly reduced given to those who bought the game, or has an additional allotment been made for those who also buy TLII?

This was one of my points.... by granting an unknown number of gamers access to the "closed beta" kinda doesn't make it "closed beta." By RGB's own post "A much higher level of balance and polish is expected from games now. Instead of adding "gamma" testing to achieve it, now there are just several layers of beta tests" leads me to believe that the closed and open betas that WE get to "play" will be nothing more then a "soft release." In other words, we will not be able to affect much change at all... The game will be set in stone, as long as it can take the heat of the larger playerbase.

This may be a sore spot for many that played DDO, who have been through many trials with Turbine over their definition of "beta" and "test server." Lammania was supposed to be a place where gamers could stop faulty code before it went "live", just to find out that if it made it to Lammania it was going to go live REGARDLESS IF IT WAS BROKEN OR NOT.

By RGBs own admission, it would appear PW/Cryptic would have plenty of beta keys to hand out, as we are going to be "testing" basically a finished (polished) product.

Really? <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>? Sub-Par?
    Ever PLAY Torchlight? Before you mention how "sub par" this game is, know it's a very successful game (now series,) in the same genre of Diablo.

Whether you like it or not, know it's given a lot of thought and work, not like some games cranked out quickly after a few months.

I agree 100%. Torchlight is a great game. This cross promotion is definitely a no brainer for Neverwinter gamers that also wish to play Torchlight II.

Most likely they used to but with PWE in charge of Cryptic, a new access for an old lifetime is no guarantee. Many people who bought TL agree to the quality of the game. Personally, I took a break from the TL/Diablo game play but I will confess, I'm reconsidering both game series again.

Naah, too many years invested into Diablo I and II. That style of play is "in the bank' for me... no time to relive it again now.

Does anybody have the System Requirements for TL II?
    They are using the exact same engine as the first game... so nothing major is needed. Just about any decent system of the past 5 years should run the game fine. http://www.torchlight2game.com/support

All that said, I believe Cryptic can create a stellar game, that will make many of us happy for many years to come. Im very motivated about this game. I just dont want to see them repeat the same mistakes Turbine made, or that so many MMO producers have made and continue to make (turning their games into p2w zergfests).
    edited April 2012
    Eaker82 wrote: »
    @aandrethegiant

First off yes I know what the Blizzard deal is about and I was highlighting it to show that companies do this sort of thing all the time. It is a company after all and bottomline it wants to make money. If they were doing this with a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game I would understand but you buy TL2 and get a key I really dont see the problem. I dont care if its a f2p game versus a paid game, if you care that much about it you would support it. For example i'm more then happy to pay the money for Guild Wars 2 even though its f2p[and yes I know thats there model just another example] and i'll gladly pre-order and play TL2 and Neverwinter. It's 20 bucks....180 like wow, See with that deal you had to play WoW for which I refuse to do anymore so its 180 buck for guaranteed Diablo 3 beta and game and really was the only way to get into D3.

Your Concerns:
    1. These people that "deserve" a key have they just been forum posters or have they paid for anything? Because paid customers will always win against people that wait for something for free, but then again who knows maybe Cryptic has there name written down we dont know. Too soon to tell.

2. "The Core NW Base" well that includes me and i've bought all the previous games so paying 20 buck for this is no problem. If I have to pay 20 bucks just to get the game so that the servers stay up then so be it.

3. Versus all the money ive spent on WoW, if 5-20 bucks for something for a game I actually like is needed then np.

4. "Closed" Beta usually means you have to go out of your way to get in by buying something or knowing someone. "Open" Beta you just need to register you name and BAM your in.

5. Its a marketing ploy. They need numbers for the investors.

6. That I do not know good sir. Its always good for a company to stay in the black though

Buying the year sub was not the ONLY way to get an invite for D3 testing. I haven't played WoW in several years. Haven't touched their forums or anything else w/ WoW glop on it since I cancelled my account.
    Blizzard sent me an email asking if I wanted to participate. There was no promotional offers, raffle or anything else associated w/this request. I helped test in the past, so I was offered a chance to do so again.

This is one of the few Betas that I have been involved in in the past few years that has NOT been purely a marketing ploy. The Devs actually listen & make changes/tweaks based on our feedback on the Beta Forums.

But as I have posted elsewhere here, I predicted, several years ago, this would happen to the industry. Cynical is the nicest word I can use to decribe the reactions back then. I wish my detracters had been correct.

Regardless of how you get access to the NVW beta, I really hope those that do, will take it seriously & contribute. Please don't treat it as a free demo. Stick your nose in every nook & cranny looking for anything that might have slipped down through the cracks
    edited April 2012
    Calm down giant:)

PWE is very new too p2p business. I'm farely certain they allow cryptic and runic quite a bit of freedom in how they do whatever they have left of that abom.. I mean business model. As long as cryptic doesn't delve deeper into that hole, I think they'll be fine.

Actually you touched a subject, that I find quite a bit more interesting: core playerbase, what is it and how relevant it is.

Most games have a forum attendance of far less than 10% of player base and the amount of good games on the market affects how many interested people will be active forums of a game in alpha phase. In time this will only get worse and the developers are seeing it and reacting to it already by changing the expectations and goals of beta tests. Most people going to a beta test will be going "blind" with no to very little knowledge of the game. Some will even just go in with hopes of finding exploits. This is especially so for f2p games for which (from player perspective) OB effectively means launch.

Yes, the community here on these forums is quite a good one. I happen to enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't be here this much:) However, from the company's point of view it is very problematic to put more weight on the feedback of the usual forumites than the crowds that will come. Why? Simply because opinions differ and what might or might not be good for the majority of forumites, might be very different for the majority of the playerbase. Of course simple bugs are a different matter, but I expect there to be quite few of those due to the multiple beta tests and polish as said by rgbdreamer in the other thread.

tldr.. how game companies view there communities has been changing. How cryptic decides to do it remains to be seen, but if you do not expect too much you won't get disappointed too much.
    edited April 2012
    Was reminded of the old Torchlight FAQ. I hope this game isn't their answer to a "Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game" Torchlight.
    edited April 2012
    It would be real nice to see a comprehensive list of the planned ways to gain access. I think making such information available even if only tentative would diffuse a lot of angst.
    edited April 2012
    Wintersong wrote:
    Only idiots will buy a game they have no interest in for guaranteed beta access of another. And as such, they don't deserve their money. If they cannot control their impulses, its their problem.

People who are inclined to buy this game because the last one was great, however, might be persuaded to buy it EARLY for a discount and a perk. This is a good deal for both PW and the buyer, because PW gets about the same amount of money they'd get from selling the game through a distributor, and you don't pay the distributor and the store their cuts.

It sucks for the distributor and the store, but they'll get over it.
    edited April 2012
    .Spartan wrote: »
    It would be real nice to see a comprehensive list of the planned ways to gain access. I think making such information available even if only tentative would diffuse a lot of angst.

Agree with this
    edited April 2012
    phum1 wrote:

PWE is very new too [sic] p2p business

Just noticed this (and the word is to; too means also. Sic means literally quoted even when misspelled.)
    A subsidiary of Perfect World Beijing, Perfect World Entertainment is a leader in publishing and operating massively multiplayer online games. Founded in 2008 and headquartered in Foster City, Calif., Perfect World Entertainment is bringing the pinnacle of online gaming to North American and international audiences.

(From the PW Beijing Wiki info)
    Perfect World (Simplified Chinese:完美时空, NASDAQ: PWRD) is a China-based online game company specializing in MMORPGs. Beijing Perfect World Co. was founded in 2004 by Chi Yufeng, the president of Human Software Corporation.[2] The company aims to develop and market games with Chinese characteristics. The company's initial public offering on the Nasdaq was completed in July, 2007.[3]

Perfect World is parent to Seattle-based game developer Runic Games. In 2009, Perfect World entered into an exclusive agreement to publish Torchlight, an action-RPG in production by Runic Games worldwide and later bought a majority stake in Runic Games.[4]
    On May 31, 2011 it was announced that Perfect World had acquired Cryptic Studios from Atari for over $50 million.[5]

Perfect World Entertainment is a leading North American online games publisher specializing in immersive free-to-play MMORPGs. Founded in 2008, Perfect World Entertainment has published 10 popular titles, including Blacklight Retribution, Forsaken World, Perfect World International and Star Trek Online.

(From IGN company listing link:

Perfect World Entertainment
    Game developer in China. Beijing Perfect World Co., Ltd was founded in 2004 and invested by Mr. Chi Yufeng, the president of Human Software Corporation. The company develops persistent online games.

The company has an international office -- Perfect World Entertainment -- based in Redwood City, CA, USA.

Company Info
    Web Site http://www.perfectworld.com/
    Address US OFFICE:
    Perfect World Entertainment, Inc.
    1001 East Hillsdale Blvd. Suite 800
    Foster City, CA 94404

Games Published

PC
    Battle of the Immortals
    Blacklight: Retribution
    Ether Saga Online
    Forsaken World
    Heroes of Three Kingdoms
    Jade Dynasty
    Perfect World
    Raiderz
    Rusty Hearts
    Torchlight

Games Developed

PC
    Battle of the Immortals
    Ether Saga Online
    Forsaken World
    Jade Dynasty
    Perfect World

I don't know how you think 2004 is new, but they're known for their F2P games for a while even if not in this continent and more of Asia.
    edited April 2012
    Just noticed this (and the word is to; too means also. Sic means literally quoted even when misspelled.)

I don't know how you think 2004 is new, but they're known for their F2P games for a while even if not in this continent and more of Asia.

Mmm you starting as a language cop? Yes, English is not my native language, but I guess typos are not accepted by you. Notice, p2p ~= f2p... :( I know PWE quite well... at least better than I know you, it seems.
    edited April 2012
    Was reminded of the old Torchlight FAQ. I hope this game isn't their answer to a "Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game" Torchlight.

It isn't. They decided to do a sequel with multiplayer before taking on a MMORPG. Once they get this game launched they will work on a Mac port for the game. After that, they were planning on starting to work on a MMORPG, but they have left it open that they could work on something else instead, such a a TL3. We will have to see what they announce. They are a small studio, so they can only work on one project at a time.
    edited April 2012
    I just hope they fix the PWE account system so that I can create my account using my existing email address tomorrow. I'm waiting on that to be able to pre-order TL2.
    edited April 2012
    StormShade wrote:
    From the team that brought you the award-winning action-RPG, Torchlight, comes its highly-anticipated sequel, Torchlight 2! Pre-order Torchlight 2 to gain access to the Neverwinter Beta.

*Exact date of access will vary

Link to the news article.

I have the flipside question: I DID pre-order from PWE from this ad. However, I am ultimately going to want to play this through Steam. And I don't really want a physical copy, I want to download it through Steam.

Am I going to be able to register the copy I pre-ordered from PWE in Steam so that it is in my actual library (NOT a non-steam game), AND am I going to get that code digitally prior to or immediately at release, or do I have to wait for a physical box to get to me (that I don't even want)?

I need to figure out if I need to cancel my PWE pre-order... I didn't really realize what I was signing up for, the lead-in was very difficult to follow... It took me straight to paypal without showing me the details, all the read more links just went to paypal. From there, they somehow short-circuited/hijacked my brain and got me to just pay from there... good (/evil) marketing trick, but not great for reducing buyer's remorse!

I have no problem buying through PWE, as long as it is fully interoperable with Steam (natively!) and I'm not punished for choosing the option.
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    So I have completed the pre-order. Will I get a email with the beta access code and instructions on where to enter it or is my Perfect World Account automatically flagged and I'll get a email telling me where to download the client when available?

I have this very same question. The confirmation email from PW basicly says thanks for your money and verifies the transaction. No mention of Neverwinter beta or anything else. It makes me uneasy. Someone please respond to this.
  • jmnitupjmnitup Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    ... archived? Not sure what that implies, was this thread shelved?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    jmnitup wrote: »

All the old-threads before update have archive status. It does not means thread is closed.
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Alright! PWE account created, accounts between PWE and Cryptic linked, and TL2 pre-ordered. I'm ready to go!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cvodacvoda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    jmnitup wrote: »

well asfar im aware you should have gotten a mail whit the following ( incl a fance background)
    ----

Thank you for pre-ordering Torchlight 2!

With your pre-order purchase, you have assured yourself first-day entry into the quirky, fast-paced world of Torchlight 2! Whether you're going it alone or side-by-side with your best friends - bloodthirsty monsters, bountiful treasures and sinister secrets await!

Please keep an eye on your inbox, as we will be sending you a code to be used to download the game when it launches.

As part of your pre-order, you're also invited to take part in the Neverwinter Closed Beta when that launches!* When the time comes, you'll be sent a beta key to redeem on our site, so be sure to check http://www.playneverwinter.com to get all the latest information regarding this highly anticipated new title.

Torchlight 2 and Neverwinter are both in development and, as such, do not have specific dates set for their respective launch and closed beta. As soon as those dates are announced, we will publish them to our official websites and e-mail you a reminder.

Thank you!

*Does not guarantee day one closed beta access. Exact date of entry will vary per user, dependant on testing needs.

----

Bit silly they got this big working BETA button active but not beta running yet :(
  • sertanleesertanlee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I have the same question. I already have a steam pre-order and would hate to miss the beta. I suspect because the steam pre-order came with a "free" TL1, that it can't be returned.

The TL2 was not a pre order it was a pre purchase as PW already charged me. If STEAM was a pre order you can usually get a return with a few phone calls.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    cvoda wrote: »
    well asfar im aware you should have gotten a mail whit the following ( incl a fance background)
    ----

Thank you for pre-ordering Torchlight 2!

With your pre-order purchase, you have assured yourself first-day entry into the quirky, fast-paced world of Torchlight 2! Whether you're going it alone or side-by-side with your best friends - bloodthirsty monsters, bountiful treasures and sinister secrets await!

Please keep an eye on your inbox, as we will be sending you a code to be used to download the game when it launches.

As part of your pre-order, you're also invited to take part in the Neverwinter Closed Beta when that launches!* When the time comes, you'll be sent a beta key to redeem on our site, so be sure to check http://www.playneverwinter.com to get all the latest information regarding this highly anticipated new title.

Torchlight 2 and Neverwinter are both in development and, as such, do not have specific dates set for their respective launch and closed beta. As soon as those dates are announced, we will publish them to our official websites and e-mail you a reminder.

Thank you!

*Does not guarantee day one closed beta access. Exact date of entry will vary per user, dependant on testing needs.

----

Bit silly they got this big working BETA button active but not beta running yet :(

I didn't get that e-mail after preordering Torchlight II. Or if I got it, it may have ended in the junk folder and got deleted, which I doubt because I recieve their changing password e-mail fine. I know that I got billed because it also appears reflected in the PWE purchase history page.

But if the e-mail only contains that, I suppose that I'll be fine.
  • mightyslugmightyslug Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    TL2 is gonna rock
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Is the offer still on, that if you preorder TL2, you get beta to neverwinter? as my friend is interested as well. But we cannot see the promotion any more.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • cyguard1cyguard1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Question. Why would I want to purchase, pay money for a game I probably wouldn't play for long if at all, just to get access to a free MMO Beta that I can't wait to play? I was in BLR Beta and never once had to purchase anything. Just seems odd to have to pay to play a closed beta for a free mmo...
    Foundry Designs: Once a Dungeon Master, always a Dungeon Master.