test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PRE-ORDER TORCHLIGHT 2

Comments

• shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    cyguard1 wrote: »
    Question. Why would I want to purchase, pay money for a game I probably wouldn't play for long if at all, just to get access to a free MMO Beta that I can't wait to play? I was in BLR Beta and never once had to purchase anything. Just seems odd to have to pay to play a closed beta for a free mmo...
    Why would you?
    Because you may not have a personality and may be just a sheep guided by external forces.
    Maybe because you may think that you need to be in a beta so much that you will choose to waste money in order to get access to it?

There are many (stupid) reasons to buy Torchilight II in order to get Neverwinter beta access. If I were to pay money, it'd be to buy Torchlight II because of the game itself (which is really cheap too in addition to promising to be really good).
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    cyguard1 wrote: »
    Question. Why would I want to purchase, pay money for a game I probably wouldn't play for long if at all, just to get access to a free MMO Beta that I can't wait to play? I was in BLR Beta and never once had to purchase anything. Just seems odd to have to pay to play a closed beta for a free mmo...

SS has clarified that TL2 preorder is not the only way to gain access to beta. There is random choice from forum and other ways yet to be announced.

Also, they are saying that their game is already ready and they are not afraid to show it. So the beta is most likely a stress test of load, and a bit of foundry feedback.

So it is not really a beta but just an early access to game's features for the reviews probably. That has damped my motivation to gain it anyways, except for the foundry probably ...
  • vashthedrunkvashthedrunk Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    From the team that brought you the award-winning action-RPG, Torchlight, comes its highly-anticipated sequel, Torchlight 2! Pre-order Torchlight 2 to gain access to the Neverwinter Beta.

*Exact date of access will vary

Link to the news article.

Well on my email it said first day access then at the bottom it has a star that says it might very... wow contradiction anyone?
  • darkdaysx2darkdaysx2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    i pre orderd tl2 last week still no neverwinter beta key :{b:sadb:sadb:sad
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    Why would you?
    Because you may not have a personality and may be just a sheep guided by external forces.
    Maybe because you may think that you need to be in a beta so much that you will choose to waste money in order to get access to it?

There are many (stupid) reasons to buy Torchilight II in order to get Neverwinter beta access. If I were to pay money, it'd be to buy Torchlight II because of the game itself (which is really cheap too in addition to promising to be really good).

So because someone is willing to pay to get into beta they have no personality and are a "stupid sheep"? Wow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    darkdaysx2 wrote: »
    i pre orderd tl2 last week still no neverwinter beta key :{b:sadb:sadb:sad

Dont worry! You will get your beta key when beta actually starts -- as far as I know, the game is still in its alpha stage, or a highly restricted closed beta. Chances are this is because...

a. The game is too far from what is expected to be released to show to public eye
    b. Concern over leaks
    c. Servers may not be adequately equipped to handle any remotely large number of players, may be unstable/laggy, etc.

Im sure our boys and girls at Cryptic are just as impatient as we are to get this game into beta. Just be patient. :)
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    shonsu5320 wrote: »
    So because someone is willing to pay to get into beta they have no personality and are a "stupid sheep"? Wow.
    For that topic: yes.
  • tharartharar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    SS has clarified that TL2 preorder is not the only way to gain access to beta. There is random choice from forum and other ways yet to be announced.

Also, they are saying that their game is already ready and they are not afraid to show it. So the beta is most likely a stress test of load, and a bit of foundry feedback.

So it is not really a beta but just an early access to game's features for the reviews probably. That has damped my motivation to gain it anyways, except for the foundry probably ...

I don't think the devs have said anywhere that the game is "already ready" and all they want is to "stress test" and get a "bit of foundry feedback". It is NOT an early access to the games features for the reviews and I'm not sure were you are getting all these absurd ideas and passing them off as truths.

Yes they had a playable demo at Pax east, but it was a very limited demo and proves nothing about how "ready" the game is to ship. When the closed beta releases it WILL be for testing and finding/reporting bugs. It will NOT be for "reviewing" the game early. Sure, once you get your beta key you can do whatever you want; but you'll only look silly if you go into it thinking the game is ready to ship and you're getting a preview. As a matter of fact you'll be doing a huge disservice to the developers and the rest of the fans wanting to get in and help alpha test if you did that.
  • elrohianelrohian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    tharar wrote: »
    I don't think the devs have said anywhere that the game is "already ready" and all they want is to "stress test" and get a "bit of foundry feedback". It is NOT an early access to the games features for the reviews and I'm not sure were you are getting all these absurd ideas and passing them off as truths.

Yes they had a playable demo at Pax east, but it was a very limited demo and proves nothing about how "ready" the game is to ship. When the closed beta releases it WILL be for testing and finding/reporting bugs. It will NOT be for "reviewing" the game early. Sure, once you get your beta key you can do whatever you want; but you'll only look silly if you go into it thinking the game is ready to ship and you're getting a preview. As a matter of fact you'll be doing a huge disservice to the developers and the rest of the fans wanting to get in and help alpha test if you did that.

And how do you know that it will be primarily for testing and not for marketing?
    If anything, chances are i will be pretty much ready for release in the 1st or 2nd phase of CB - that's what almost every MMO devs and publishers do nowadays, and that's what PWE does. And that's why they give away so many keys and practically let anyone interested get in the beta. You won't easily find "true" betas anymore, except for some indie titles.
    Cryptic were given an extra year of development time to finish NW, and that's more than enough to present a practically complete and tested product when CB starts. And that means that they'll probably need people just to test things like server and game stability, not to test and help de-bug the game...
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    tharar wrote: »

Because of archived posts, I cant find where but dev have said already that the game is almost ready and 'polished'. Same posts says that these days the game have to be 'ready' before beta tests. I remember it was not stromshade, but if you look for it, you will find it.

They did not say, and I did not say that they did (lol) that they want to "stress test/bit of foundry feedback". But it is a derivation, which is a logical implication of above mentioned points.

Demo isn't anything. The devs wanted to show a bit of parts, and they have already mentioned that the gameplay was overpowered to 'demonstrate'. And ofcourse, it was lot limited. You are too innocent to think that a game which was supposed to be out last year has only these features.

Also I was quite passionate about 'finding defects' (or bugs) in beta [and in one of the early threads, if you search, I also advocated a common defined format for finding defects], but that post took out all the gas from me. So sadly, beta keys mean early access. Denying the reality will only make it harder for you later :(
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    think this was it here Gilly?

"And it's also a good thing that Neverwinter is absolutely and positively the most exciting MMORPG we saw at PAX East 2012. Polished, fun, and inventive "
    edited May 2012
    elrohian wrote: »
    And how do you know that it will be primarily for testing and not for marketing?
    If anything, chances are i will be pretty much ready for release in the 1st or 2nd phase of CB - that's what almost every MMO devs and publishers do nowadays, and that's what PWE does. And that's why they give away so many keys and practically let anyone interested get in the beta. You won't easily find "true" betas anymore, except for some indie titles.
    Cryptic were given an extra year of development time to finish NW, and that's more than enough to present a practically complete and tested product when CB starts. And that means that they'll probably need people just to test things like server and game stability, not to test and help de-bug the game...

And people like you are the exact reason "almost every MMO devs and publishers do nowadays". Because kids get into betas expecting it to be a fully finished product and at the first sign of trouble or a bug they go onto all the forums and game sites and whine about how broke the game is and how the developers aren't fixing anything and aren't listening to the fanbase at all.

Eventually they will get to the point they need people for server testing and stability, but the closed beta isn't going to be that time. When they want stability and server testing they'll have an open beta like "almost every MMO devs and publishers do nowadays".

It's sad that closed betas have to be treated more and more like open betas because the fans are more interested in play-testing the game and getting a "leg-up" on everyone else and aren't more interested in actually helping the game they say they "love" so much.
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Because of archived posts, I cant find where but dev have said already that the game is almost ready and 'polished'. Same posts says that these days the game have to be 'ready' before beta tests. I remember it was not stromshade, but if you look for it, you will find it.

They did not say, and I did not say that they did (lol) that they want to "stress test/bit of foundry feedback". But it is a derivation, which is a logical implication of above mentioned points.

Demo isn't anything. The devs wanted to show a bit of parts, and they have already mentioned that the gameplay was overpowered to 'demonstrate'. And ofcourse, it was lot limited. You are too innocent to think that a game which was supposed to be out last year has only these features.

Also I was quite passionate about 'finding defects' (or bugs) in beta [and in one of the early threads, if you search, I also advocated a common defined format for finding defects], but that post took out all the gas from me. So sadly, beta keys mean early access. Denying the reality will only make it harder for you later :(
    I vaguely remember a post of the sort, but like I said it didn't give any indication of being 'ready to launch' and 'up for review' as stated before. It was more along the lines of "customers today don't want a broken mess of a game to beta test. The experience needs to be far enough along to be enjoyable but we still would like/need people letting us know when something goes wrong or seems out of place or need consumer input on which direction to go."

I don't think it "only has" those features from the demo; but the demo was limited to show exactly what they wanted. Clearly the more they show the better reaction they can make so what was in the demo is what they feel was polished and ready enough to show. Likewise I could argue that, even though this was supposed to be out last year, this game had a lot of ground to cover turning from a basic RPG game into a MMO is a big deal. You could even argue that even with a year they might not be able to fully pull it off (as is shown by not having things like PvP in the game. Though I wish we never got PvP). There is nothing innocent about it.

Sadly, yes, I know beta keys pretty much mean early access for a lot of people; but that doesn't mean trying to actually do your part as a beta tester isn't required anymore.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    The last post nailed the reply given, (Edit) but due to somebody quoting the developer, I can now share this:

Originally Posted by rgbDreamer
    A much higher level of balance and polish is expected from games now. Instead of adding "gamma" testing to achieve it, now there are just several layers of beta tests, and some of them require way more testers. There have also been changes in how core tech and content relate. Most of external beta testing is evaluating content/design choices, which feels more polished than evaluating core tech (because it crashes way less).

On the Foundry, we have a number of important decisions that are waiting for beta tester feedback. I'm impatient for it to start, too. But we have some work left to do or all the feedback will be to fix the things we're working on now.

And due to the needs ranging from testing to marketing and more, that's why it is said there is no guarantee when you will be phased into the closed beta. Whether it means testing or it's a pre-marketing or something else or a combination is handled by that disclaimer when buying said game so nobody is forced to do something not needed by the company.

So the game is still in pre-alpha until noted otherwise and no testing/marketing/other/multiple things is set for beta pre-ordering.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • countfirexcountfirex Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I was under the impression that PWE would be the 1 company that had all its games for free to play and you donate to get Zen to get better items sooner, not charge for the game and then what still have to buy Zen to get in game shop items, and conditions on getting beta keys is a bit much, youll get a beta key if you buy some other game, this seems pointless if we dont want to play the game your selling but want to play the game we need beta keys for, i guess this is 1 of the games i just wont be playing in beta and wait for the full game launch.b:bye
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    countfirex wrote: »
    I was under the impression that PWE would be the 1 company that had all its games for free to play and you donate to get Zen to get better items sooner, not charge for the game and then what still have to buy Zen to get in game shop items, and conditions on getting beta keys is a bit much, youll get a beta key if you buy some other game, this seems pointless if we dont want to play the game your selling but want to play the game we need beta keys for, i guess this is 1 of the games i just wont be playing in beta and wait for the full game launch.b:bye

Well, you do know that they will be giving out free keys once the beta comes closer. For the time being it hasn't even been announced, ffs...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joolliojoollio Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Willing to give it a try...I don't see myself playing Torch but $20 is an ok expense...my question is: Will it be guaranteed? I just want to play from first day and forward lol finally get a game from its start.
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'm seriously more interested in helping to make the game better for release than just to play it early. Which is why I didn't mind paying $20 to guarantee that I'll have that chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sertanleesertanlee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    any kind of date line for game coming out of alpha? september, december? anything?
  • vindevereauxxvindevereauxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Having played the tl2 beta, it's definitely worth the price. It, like I hope Neverwinter will, encourages and rewards exploration. It's polished, fun and interesting- and this is from someone who was not at all a fan of the first Torchlight. I'm not a fan of that gameplay style, and yet I still enjoyed Torchlight. I was immensely surprised to have enjoyed it as much as I did! It's worth it.
  • kgkiddkgkidd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    how will i download torchlight2 if the proof of payment was not sent to my email but an unknow email
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    This is an all time low Cryptic. So in order for some guaranteed Beta access your forcing people to purchase PW products? What's next? $5, $10 dollar closed beta key sales? Have companies finally sinked this low that we're using shady methods to sell products?

Its not that low. Neverwinter is gonna be a FREE MMO...can you really complain if they'd like you to fork over SOMETHING to keep them going? I mean really, come on. 10$ for a beta key is better than the 60 for torchlight 2, or however much it'll be. I'd be happy with that even. XD Do you really expect the devs and company to just use all their own money for your entertainment? You're either one of those guys who hates spending an extra ten cents on the 2 for $1.10 deals at gas stations, or you're an 11 year old kid who got mad after everyone in WoW made fun of you. And what's shady about that? There's no, "Spend ten dollars and maybe you could play a new upcoming release early.", gimmicks or anything. They aren't forcing you into it. And it's pretty self-explanatory as well, pre-order Torchlight 2, and get a beta key for Neverwinter. Pretty straightforward for anyone who understands basic English.
  • cuspincuspin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    does this still work? or is the promotion over?
  • baldar805baldar805 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    cuspin wrote: »
    does this still work? or is the promotion over?

I was wondering the same thing I have the money now and was thinking of it but would like to know before I do it and I can't find it anywhere. Unfortunatly with E3 going on not sure will get a response from PW/Cryptic people.
    edited June 2012
    They said that the offer is still there until one of the 2 launches.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    valas625 wrote: »
    Its not that low. Neverwinter is gonna be a FREE MMO...can you really complain if they'd like you to fork over SOMETHING to keep them going? I mean really, come on. 10$ for a beta key is better than the 60 for torchlight 2, or however much it'll be. I'd be happy with that even. XD Do you really expect the devs and company to just use all their own money for your entertainment? You're either one of those guys who hates spending an extra ten cents on the 2 for $1.10 deals at gas stations, or you're an 11 year old kid who got mad after everyone in WoW made fun of you. And what's shady about that? There's no, "Spend ten dollars and maybe you could play a new upcoming release early.", gimmicks or anything. They aren't forcing you into it. And it's pretty self-explanatory as well, pre-order Torchlight 2, and get a beta key for Neverwinter. Pretty straightforward for anyone who understands basic English.

Its still pretty low and if you think PWI is some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor little company that needs to stoop to this level because Neverwinter is going to be F2P then you must be a clueless little 11 year old or one of those guys that likes to waste his cash just cause you can .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • seikilosseikilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    How dare a company to try to make money! Selfish female dogs!

Just wait for the free 20k+ keys giveaway. So impatient.
    edited June 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Its still pretty low and if you think PWI is some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor little company that needs to stoop to this level because Neverwinter is going to be F2P then you must be a clueless little 11 year old or one of those guys that likes to waste his cash just cause you can .

PWI is not a company... learn to adress things correctly or do not whine about them...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    PWI is not a company... learn to adress things correctly or do not whine about them...

Very much besides the point i was making

seikilos wrote: »
    How dare a company to try to make money! Selfish female dogs!

Just wait for the free 20k+ keys giveaway. So impatient.

I'm not really impatient as a don't give a rats <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about the beta but what i didn't like was valas625 douchey reply to someone because he didn't agree with that person.

That is all.

I think selling beta keys is cheesy you don't have to agree, there's no need for name calling no matter how subtle the name calling is "suppose" to be.

Troll on with the sarcastic comments....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • seikilosseikilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    vindicon wrote: »

Do you even know what a company is?
    pilf3r wrote: »
    I'm not really impatient as a don't give a rats <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about the beta but what i didn't like was valas625 douchey reply to someone because he didn't agree with that person.

That is all.

I think selling beta keys is cheesy you don't have to agree, there's no need for name calling no matter how subtle the name calling is "suppose" to be.

Troll on with the sarcastic comments....

They're not selling NW beta keys, they're selling TL2 with a NW beta key as a bonus. I don't see what's so wrong with that unless there's no other way to get a beta key, which there will be.