test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PRE-ORDER TORCHLIGHT 2

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2012 in News & Announcements
From the team that brought you the award-winning action-RPG, Torchlight, comes its highly-anticipated sequel, Torchlight 2! Pre-order Torchlight 2 to gain access to the Neverwinter Beta.

*Exact date of access will vary

Link to the news article.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2012
    Serious thats a no brainer I loved Torchlight.
    edited April 2012
    This is an all time low Cryptic. So in order for some guaranteed Beta access your forcing people to purchase PW products? What's next? $5, $10 dollar closed beta key sales? Have companies finally sinked this low that we're using shady methods to sell products?
    edited April 2012
    Saco123 wrote:
    This is an all time low Cryptic. So in order for some guaranteed Beta access your forcing people to purchase PW products? What's next? $5, $10 dollar closed beta key sales? Have companies finally sinked this low that we're using shady methods to sell products?

They did the same thing with Champions online and the STO closed Beta. This is not a new thing for them.
    edited April 2012
    Most game companies are doing this now. Some sort of deal to get into desirable beta access. Most games do it with themselves, pre-order their game to get closed beta access, that sort of thing. You're not being forced to buy the game, that is your choice.
    Its an encouragement for people to pre-order the game, not to buy it (or the offer would extend until after the game is out).
    If you prefer a pot-luck system then that's fine. Aren't they still doing that anyway?
    edited April 2012
    Forgot to post my question I was so annoyed by his comment!
    Is this offer exclusive to the Perfect World's store, or can I pre-order it from steam to get the same offer of access?
    edited April 2012
    Still shady business no matter how you spin it. And what about those with lifetime subs with some of Cryptic products?
    edited April 2012
    This is troublesome. :confused:

I understand the business side of matters, but to offer non D&D crowd and another game's playerbase entirely access to Neverwinter's closed beta for a dime?? All this before ever announcing or putting into motion a closed beta access plan to posters on the official Neverwinter forum... most of who have posted, aka promoted this game since Day One (I'm excluding myself here)???

That's terrible.
    edited April 2012
    Tsariol wrote:
    Forgot to post my question I was so annoyed by his comment!
    Is this offer exclusive to the Perfect World's store, or can I pre-order it from steam to get the same offer of access?

I have the same question. I already have a steam pre-order and would hate to miss the beta. I suspect because the steam pre-order came with a "free" TL1, that it can't be returned.
    edited April 2012
    So, if I already pre-ordered TL2 from Steam, I don't have guaranteed access to the Neverwinter Beta? Is the beta access exclusive to people that pre-order TL2 here?
    edited April 2012
    So...can anyone else read the news article? I can't, despite being logged into my Cryptic account. Looks like it wants me to sign up for a PW account too.
    edited April 2012
    They'll probably be giving away beta keys like mad on gaming sites so I'm gonna hold back....try too at least. ><
    edited April 2012
    So...can anyone else read the news article? I can't, despite being logged into my Cryptic account. Looks like it wants me to sign up for a PW account too.

Wow they just changed the access rules to the article! It basically read that if you buy Torchlight II for 19.99, it will come with closed beta access to Neverwinter as part of the deal.

Now it appears you have to sign up to read the brief article (really just a jpg with a Torchlight sales pitch on it)

Head shaking in disbelief....
    edited April 2012
    I think all active people on this forum should get beta key.

Many people created good dev threads to help you develop this game and after all you tell us to buy some other game to get acces to beta which is another help from community so you don't have to pay for employing beta testers.

The fact that many people kill other people does not make the fact that killing is ok, so to say that you do something because others also do it is a cheap excuse and lying to yourself.
    edited April 2012
    Here's an article describing in better detail than Cryptic does in the article Shade linked too in the OP (before it was hidden behind a registration screen).

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/26/pre-order-torchlight-ii-now-get-neverwinter-beta-key-later.aspx
    edited April 2012
    ... ahh and I forgot about this obvious irony that you guys want to make people pay for the beta of a game that's going to be F2P anyway
    edited April 2012
    Alright folks,

I can see there's some concerns here, so let me try to assuage some fears...
    Saco123 wrote:
    So in order for some guaranteed Beta access your forcing people to purchase PW products? What's next? $5, $10 dollar closed beta key sales? Have companies finally sinked this low that we're using shady methods to sell products?

No one said that. This is merely one way to get guaranteed access to the closed beta for Neverwinter.
    Tsariol wrote:

This particular offer is exclusive to pre-orders through PWE's web site, Steam purchases will not grant access to the beta.

I understand some of you are genuinely concerned, but this is really only one way to get into the Neverwinter Beta.

We'll have contests to give away keys as we move closer to the actual closed beta. There will be other giveaways through the press, fan sites, podcasts and more. People who came and saw us at PAX East received a flier which had a code for beta access, and there will be yet more ways to gain access to the closed beta that we haven't even thought up yet. On top of all that, everyone who opts in for the Neverwinter Newsletter will be entered into a pool of potential beta testers.

In short, if you're not interested in Torchlight II, you will have plenty of other opportunities to gain a closed beta key.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited April 2012
    StormShade wrote:
    ::snip::On top of all that, everyone who opts in for the Neverwinter Newsletter will be entered into a pool of potential beta testers.

In short, if you're not interested in Torchlight II, you will have plenty of other opportunities to gain a closed beta key.

Thanks,

Stormshade

As I suspected! Thanks for the update! I wonder if steam will be taking refunds for their Torchlight game...
    edited April 2012
    StormShade wrote:
    From the team that brought you the award-winning action-RPG, Torchlight, comes its highly-anticipated sequel, Torchlight 2! Pre-order Torchlight 2 to gain access to the Neverwinter Beta.

*Exact date of access will vary

Link to the news article.
    Torchlight II was already a target so "extra stuff" for free is always welcome. :)
    edited April 2012
    StormShade wrote:
    Alright folks,

This particular offer is exclusive to pre-orders through PWE's web site, Steam purchases will not grant access to the beta.

Stormshade

The fact is that i still cant create an account on pwe to even pay for and download the game for a guaranteed beta key, even if i wanted to, but refreshing to know that there will be other ways to gain access.
    edited April 2012
    So I have completed the pre-order. Will I get a email with the beta access code and instructions on where to enter it or is my Perfect World Account automatically flagged and I'll get a email telling me where to download the client when available?
    edited April 2012
    Flaming the hell out of this is crazy. Nowhere has it been written that forum members will not be informed before anyone else about the beta dates. Today I logged in like always and saw the Beta access tab. Only then after some quick research did I learn about the Torchlight promo. It was a smart move marketing wise for Cryptic. If they tied it to a sports game not so much. But now people unaware of the game but have a general interest in dungeon type games will probably start looking at Neverwinter. Being a gamer of all genres it’s tactics like this that have captured my attention and had me do more research.
    edited April 2012
    I was pretty relieved when you confirmed the Torchlight II pre-order won't be the exclusive avenue for beta access. I have faith in my IGN Prime account. :cool:
    edited April 2012
    I just got the pre-order and the hardest thing to do was to update my paypal details because my card had expired.

It really is that easy if you want a reasonably assured way to be in beta - no one is forcing you to pay the $20, but a lot of people have been whining for a while in these very same forums and begging for beta keys. Now they have an outlet.

Stormy mentioned that there will be other opportunities to get into beta which is something we all knew would be likely. This promotion is aimed at people who want some sureity or who were going to get Torchlight II anyways (loved the first game btw.)

So, please stop *****ing and whining. If you want in, go pay your $20 and wait for your an e-mail. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it.

Thanks to PWE and Crytpic for giving some of us fanboys and fangirls piece of mind for now.
    edited April 2012
    Well, Stormshade I quite understand marketing policy, etc. However, I am concerned with other thing.

A closed beta has a certain, fixed amount of participants that may participate, usually at least. Does this pre-order promotion mean that there will be less places left for people who signed for newsletters?
    edited April 2012
    Saco123 wrote:

Umm duh faq? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3767193/Sign_Up_for_the_World_of_Warcraft_Annual_Pass_and_Get_Diablo_III_Free-10_21_2011
    That is all..
    edited April 2012
    Eaker82 wrote: »

Diablo III is not a f2p game, nor is WoW. Neverwinter is supposed to be. Also, Blizzard is asking for a one year sub ($15 a month)... paid in once shot (Annual Pass). Its a much better deal to just buy the Diablo III box for $59 on Amazon.com or anywhere else, if your interest is Diablo III.

These promotions are designed to get you to jump, into your wallet, and buy fast. Blizzard's promotion ends 4/30. Its all about the "impulse buy".

I'm ok with an impulse buy for WoW and Diablo, both old school boxed retail software... but they are selling you the WoW SUB. The sub is the name of the game, hoping you play (and pay) for WoW.

But for PW/Cryptic to offer their Torchlight/guaranteed Neverwinter closed beta access promotion deal for $20 before offering Neverwinter Newsletter readers their keys is sloppy, at best. All Neverwinter newsletter readers are guaranteed is to be tossed into a pool... for an as-of-yet undisclosed % chance to get a beta key.

At first glance this looks like a wise cross-promotion. However, I firmly believe PW/Cryptic missed another opportunity to motivate its base.
    edited April 2012
    I am a fan of the first Torchlight game and was planning on buying the second anyway, so this is a bonus.

Cross product promotionals are very common and I see nothing wrong with it. It is a way to get NWO fans interested in Torchlight 2 and vice versa. PW making a little more revenue is good for them, and helps them deliver higher quality products to us.

One thing I would point out is that they never said when people who preorder TL2 will get into beta; just that they would. It is very possible, and I think highly probable, that there will be people getting into beta sooner through other avenues.

My final thought, and I am not trying to offend, is that posting on an upcoming game's official forum entitles you to no special privileges at all. Hopefully, the active forum posters will get into beta since they have demonstrated a passion for the game, but they should not feel that PW or Cryptic owes it to them.
    edited April 2012
    @aandrethegiant

First off yes I know what the Blizzard deal is about and I was highlighting it to show that companies do this sort of thing all the time. It is a company after all and bottomline it wants to make money. If they were doing this with a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game I would understand but you buy TL2 and get a key I really dont see the problem. I dont care if its a f2p game versus a paid game, if you care that much about it you would support it. For example i'm more then happy to pay the money for Guild Wars 2 even though its f2p[and yes I know thats there model just another example] and i'll gladly pre-order and play TL2 and Neverwinter. It's 20 bucks....180 like wow, See with that deal you had to play WoW for which I refuse to do anymore so its 180 buck for guaranteed Diablo 3 beta and game and really was the only way to get into D3.

Your Concerns:
    1. These people that "deserve" a key have they just been forum posters or have they paid for anything? Because paid customers will always win against people that wait for something for free, but then again who knows maybe Cryptic has there name written down we dont know. Too soon to tell.

2. "The Core NW Base" well that includes me and i've bought all the previous games so paying 20 buck for this is no problem. If I have to pay 20 bucks just to get the game so that the servers stay up then so be it.

3. Versus all the money ive spent on WoW, if 5-20 bucks for something for a game I actually like is needed then np.

4. "Closed" Beta usually means you have to go out of your way to get in by buying something or knowing someone. "Open" Beta you just need to register you name and BAM your in.

5. Its a marketing ploy. They need numbers for the investors.

6. That I do not know good sir. Its always good for a company to stay in the black though
    edited April 2012
    The fact remains, if you want guaranteed Neverwinter closed beta access on 4/27/12 the only way to get it is to pay $20.
    Only idiots will buy a game they have no interest in for guaranteed beta access of another. And as such, they don't deserve their money. If they cannot control their impulses, its their problem.

And please, lets not forget that beta (closed or not) is a testing of the game. It's not final game. Beta tester's a frakking job. It's buggy, character wipes (I can remember all those kids crying because they lose their precious characters and have to start over :mad: ), may be limited in time, you have a real chance of burning your interest in the game,... And any real fan should be more worried about the quality of the testers than from where they hell do the come from while keeping in mind that beta access is a privilige and not a right. ¬.¬ Just wait to Cryptic make a contest to get beta access, only to have it restricted to USA because of certain laws. *CO flashback* :eek:

Random Beta access through Newslatter? That was Atari. I mention it for old people. Maybe some people would prefer that option to dissapear and be given guaranteed beta access because they have an account and/or make lots of posts (which don't necesarily have to be actually relevant to the real game).

Meanwhile, Perfect World has decided to have a cross game promotion (heh, Torchlight MMO isn't in the horizon yet... will we get Torchilight III instead?). Bad idea? Considering that Torchlight II is going to be huge, seems like very good advertisement in their preorder phase. Although it's not like most sales will come from there (Perfect World's site). Steam fanboys are too busy throwing money away at Valve.

Doubting "closed beta" because you are not guaranteed a spot for the mere fact of being here or creating some threads? Really? Give me a break. Why not complain that they allow non professional beta testers in the closed beta? Huh? Come on, complain about that! :rolleyes:
    edited April 2012
    1. the ****-poor timing (I can think of many here who deserved a beta key first, not to be tossed into a pool for a chance to get Beta key" - unless you buy another PW game). Storm promises many other ways to get a key, but no details as of yet. The fact remains, if you want guaranteed Neverwinter closed beta access on 4/27/12 the only way to get it is to pay $20.

2. makes me question their loyalty to their core Neverwinter player base.

3. makes me question future PW "promotions" or create ways to get us to open our wallet, that go over and beyond their early promise of a free to play Neverwinter (vanity only revenue).

4. Doesn't sound like very much of a "closed beta" to me.

5. Worse, it gives me concern that PW/Cryptic may have no idea how to make this f2p game profitable. This promotion seems like a desperation move by PW to get more interested in Neverwinter....

6. Finally, how ****-poor is the budget for this game?

1) Why would you even want guaranteed access in CB this early? CB acess is only usefull the day the CB launches, and the way PWE do things you'll almost certainly have a key by that time if you really want to. Remember, even if you don't get it from newsletter there will be thousands of keys available all over the net at sites like MMOSite and MMOHut...

2) If their playerbase reacts like this to a simple promotion then there is no loyalty to begin with...

3) If you want to question how PWE will do buisiness, just look at their other games... offering guaranteed beta access to a game of the same comapany as a bonus for poreordering something is not something PWE-exclusive, it has been done by everyone since the dawn of time...

4) Closed betas have stopped being real betas many years now, with few exceptions. I'm surprised that this is news to you... PWE especially just presents what is more or less the release version of their products from the start of their CBs, with most of the bug-fixing already done, then just use the whole thing for minor localisation and stress tests, as well as for promotion purposes...

5) Neverwinter is still in freaking alpha. Noone's too eager to make it popular, t will get it's publicity once CB kicks in anyway...

6) Awesome logic is awesone... Since when do promotions indicate a small budget? Every single AAA title on the market has had multiple promotions, so your arguement is invalid...