test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alphonse Knox companion

darksilent15darksilent15 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
as i am sure most of you have seen this companion and most of you have looked to see it already be 35 million in the AH, granted it comes with a lot of goodies but i would rather buy this guy off the zen store even without the extras. Come on already and put him in the zen store

Comments

• Options
    jganthjganth Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    How is this even fair? Looks more like a 1%'er game to me.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Apart from AC clerics and Paladins, it isn't that good of a pet. No debuff that I know of and no +% Damage Active or equivalent. Basically it is a vanity item for people that want to impress the sort of people that are impressed by such things.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

we all go home happy.

Not all of us. I've wanted him for years, hoped he would pop back up in the store for a reasonable amount, or start dropping, or something. Instead, let's throw together the insane price of the Hunter's Pack 10K Zen ($100), and now Knox 35M (or $700)... wondering if perhaps for the foreseeable future PWE is trying to push the costs of items to the insane levels (possible since mobile games often have packages priced at $100+). At the very least, these items are giving real benefit to those with cash/AD to blow, which is a very disturbing trend... worst case is that this shows they have no idea how to fix the system without alienating those 1%ers, so, instead, they put out packages that actually reward the ones who are the problem, those that exploited the broken system.

If any proof is needed, look and see this is a PC only thing, why? Because the random stuff has been completely broken/nonexistent on console since console launched, and only recently got fixed. This has caused the console Zen Exchange to have such a complete demand for AD, that it is instant to put AD in and buy Zen, literally INSTANT, and at a price of 460'ish, not 500 and trying to go higher than that! They have no truly wealthy people on console, because the broken system never existed.

But, on PC, it did, and players abused it, and are now being rewarded for doing so, while those who did not, are effectively punished (since they have played just as long, and did everything above board, but aren't able to enjoy these things). So, no, not happy.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited July 2018

You're joking, right? He has multiple AoE attacks, is a defender, and if he has the debuff too? He becomes a BiS tank companion for anyone that wants to use a defender tank companion! I'd use him without even a thought, and have played this game since it came out, with a few breaks here and there... only, I never exploited the AD stuff, played reasonable amounts, etc, so I don't have a ton of AD, and don't have a bunch of real cash, either. So, no matter how much I want this companion, or anything, I will still not have him. Wonder if anyone else feels a bit uncomfortable about how the only people who will be able to get him will be people who abused/took advantage of the system and are now the actual problem? They are being rewarded for having stockpiled such ridiculous wealth through exploiting and abusing the system. That is just awesome.

Not all the super-rich in game have abused the system to get that way. While yes, I believe there are quite a few that have, I know a lot of people who are super rich in the game and have earned their AD legit.

cdnbison said:

we all go home happy.

Not all of us. I've wanted him for years, hoped he would pop back up in the store for a reasonable amount, or start dropping, or something. Instead, let's throw together the insane price of the Hunter's Pack 10K Zen ($100), and now Knox 35M (or $700)... wondering if perhaps for the foreseeable future PWE is trying to push the costs of items to the insane levels (possible since mobile games often have packages priced at $100+). At the very least, these items are giving real benefit to those with cash/AD to blow, which is a very disturbing trend... worst case is that this shows they have no idea how to fix the system without alienating those 1%ers, so, instead, they put out packages that actually reward the ones who are the problem, those that exploited the broken system.

If any proof is needed, look and see this is a PC only thing, why? Because the random stuff has been completely broken/nonexistent on console since console launched, and only recently got fixed. This has caused the console Zen Exchange to have such a complete demand for AD, that it is instant to put AD in and buy Zen, literally INSTANT, and at a price of 460'ish, not 500 and trying to go higher than that! They have no truly wealthy people on console, because the broken system never existed.

But, on PC, it did, and players abused it, and are now being rewarded for doing so, while those who did not, are effectively punished (since they have played just as long, and did everything above board, but aren't able to enjoy these things). So, no, not happy.
    The epic version of Sgt Knox has been dropping from dungeons ever since keygate. They were quite cheap for a while too.

As for the "PC only thing", I suspect that this is just "for now" and will be hitting consoles at some point in the future.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User

pitshade said:

Apart from AC clerics and Paladins, it isn't that good of a pet. No debuff that I know of and no +% Damage Active or equivalent. Basically it is a vanity item for people that want to impress the sort of people that are impressed by such things.

One of the attacks has the debuff the dancing shield companion has, but without the taunt.
    That's good since at least whoever buys it can show it off without having to run a non debuff pet.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    pitshade said:

pitshade said:

One of the attacks has the debuff the dancing shield companion has, but without the taunt.
    That's good since at least whoever buys it can show it off without having to run a non debuff pet.
    Kind of the problem... he's the only tank companion that pretty much has everything a DPS/Healer could want. He has AoE attacks (multiple), he has the debuff, he has damage resistances and tons of HP. The only thing he needs is to be backed up by prospector/duergar to give him +50% taunt on all of his attacks (yet again, AoE, so he effectively tanks and debuffs all enemies??) What is there to not want?
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

cdnbison said:

we all go home happy.

Not all of us. I've wanted him for years, hoped he would pop back up in the store for a reasonable amount, .
    I think the price has shot up with this event, but he was routinely available on the AH for quite some time, at a semi-reasonable price, given the rarity (~500k, last time I looked, and not this skin, mind you, but the old epic version, as he now occasionally drops in dungeons).

• Options
    geno82geno82 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    Have the epic Knox the debuff to? I test my Knox but I see nothing debuff but the attacks the same... Can u say me what wrong?
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    I think a few people need to read the blog post about this NEW companion. He's a bit different to the Sgt Knox companion that you can pick up as an Epic Companion on the AH. For starters, he has three offense slots instead of two defense and one offense. You can provide him with two rings and a neck piece instead of a waist and two sword knots. Oh and he has 1k Power and 1k Armour Penetration as his active bonus. Read all about him here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10951333-alphonse-knox-in-auction-house!
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I can't speak for the new one but the older Sergeant Knox one is a pretty good defender companion. One of my squishy CW's uses him to keep enemies off her.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

Kind of the problem... he's the only tank companion that pretty much has everything a DPS/Healer could want. He has AoE attacks (multiple), he has the debuff, he has damage resistances and tons of HP. The only thing he needs is to be backed up by prospector/duergar to give him +50% taunt on all of his attacks (yet again, AoE, so he effectively tanks and debuffs all enemies??) What is there to not want?

Tank companions have limited use in the early game and none in the late game, so many players do not want or need anything from this particular companion that others don't already do; he's primarily a collectible (and arguably a BiS power share companion, but not remotely practical for the investment currently required).

That being said, a less restrictive companion system that allowed for mixing and matching of bonuses could be a fun way to satisfy players who like collecting and displaying unique companion skins but are at least somewhat concerned with effective gameplay.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Wow. Just. WOW.

So this companion was put there by the developers as a one-off?

That's close to being genius - not saying its good or bad, just I haven't come across this type of thing in an MMO before.
  • Options
    wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User

pitshade said:

Is the debuff attack special for this super-rare Sgt Knox ?
    Elite Whaleboy
  • Options
    natethedragonnatethedragon Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I here declare my options, of the certificate that Lord Neverember handed me upon saving his lands and recovering the treasures of the River District, entitlement to the partnership of Knox and the released treasury.
  • Options
    cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User

Wow. Just. WOW.

So this companion was put there by the developers as a one-off?

That's close to being genius - not saying its good or bad, just I haven't come across this type of thing in an MMO before.

close to being genius isn't really what they should have been aiming for. what's better than being close to being genius, is actually being genius.

make this pack THE must have pack for all players, incentivise players to WANT to own it, but make everything in it account-bound.

they could have taken tons more AD out of circulation if they had put it on the bazaar for a fraction of the price and offer more players the chance to buy it.

the fact that the current buyout bid for this item sits at 35m tells me that to someone somewhere, 35m AD is loose change, and whoever currently holds the highest bid, he's not alone. the most they can take out of circulation with this is 100m, which might seem a lot, but it's really not.

once again, cryptic decides to go fishing with the smallest sized, widest meshed net they could give themselves.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User

the fact that the current buyout bid for this item sits at 35m tells me that to someone somewhere, 35m AD is loose change, and whoever currently holds the highest bid, he's not alone.

If I remember correctly, the last time it was offered, it sold for around 35M AD so that's probably where they got that number.

I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    silence1x said:

the fact that the current buyout bid for this item sits at 35m tells me that to someone somewhere, 35m AD is loose change, and whoever currently holds the highest bid, he's not alone.

If I remember correctly, the last time it was offered, it sold for around 35M AD so that's probably where they got that number.

You are misremembering just a little. When they had the old Sgt Knox companion as "exclusive" on the AH, they listed 5 of them. One went for 30 million, and the other 4 went for 12.3 million to 15 million. This is not the same companion though. It's much better.

The bid on this one started at just 1 AD. I was winning it for a few seconds for 3900 AD. It's been at 35 million for a while now, so I'm not sure if someone is going to outbid that or not.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    eodharbinger#4185 eodharbinger Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Fromt the news post:
    " The auction will be posted by Dagult Neverember@LordDagultNeverember and only 1 Companion will be available on the AH at any given time."

Does this mean they will keep posting it every 5 days, or just some undetermined point in the future?
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    if they were smart they'd keep doing it every five days til people stop paying for it. maybe give him a fresh color every week to keep it unique and teh money big. then when it stops bringing the money do a new pack. there is no reason they couldnt do this indefinitely bringing a steady stream of money out of the economy. to the person talking about boa doesn't matter. selling them isn't creating NEW ad. it's just giving the person some ad back who bought it. the ad "they" paid for it is out of the system.

putting relevant things in the bazaar would also be smart. they could sell packs of 3 14 bonding stones for a mill less than going rate or something. but they already do quarterly must have bazaar sales with the discounts on wonderous bazaar and ppl buying tons of marks there for resale. those sales are probably really good sinks. but yeah they could do more.
  • Options

Fromt the news post:
    " The auction will be posted by Dagult Neverember@LordDagultNeverember and only 1 Companion will be available on the AH at any given time."

Does this mean they will keep posting it every 5 days, or just some undetermined point in the future?

They are currently planning on posting a total of 10, every 5 days. But that number may change.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    Or, they might start offering a different 'better' of other companions every 5 days. THAT would drag more AD out of the system, since even the person bidding on the current companion offered could possibly want to bid on the NEXT one as well! AND, it would keep the bidding extremely competitive, instead of it slowly dropping each time.