test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User

Am i the only one who misses a class where you combine both magic and close combat with a sword maybe... I was thinking that a spellblade class would be terrific for this... something where you enhance your weapon with DOT abillities, and has like a fireball spell and frost or pure arcane damage... well this is my suggestion...

I think it would probably be best left for a possible eldritch knight paragon path for the GF and/or GWF.
    I've wondered about that too. They had a lot of Eldritch Knights running around the River District. I thought it would be nice to add an EK PP for GF/GWF since they have to share the same 2. It would help even the PPs out among classes. It would also take over my GF and GWF, even if it was awful, because ELDRITCH KNIGHT!!!
  • comolhiekcomolhiek Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I kinda wish they would make a bard class, I mean that would be awesome! Right? I've been imagining my halfling with a lute. Please Cryptic...please!
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    This isn't about Ranger Class but about Druid class if/when this a Character Class: why don't one of the Druid spells "Evoke Storm" conject up mini-storm with lighting, thunder, mini-tornado and hail!!! An Area-of-effect spell which take-in a small group of enemy!
  • sundancewanderingwolfsundancewanderingwolf Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Please please please and pretty please Druid druid druid druid! I almost didn't play this game when I first downloaded it because there was no druid. How can you have DnD without Druid? I've gamed with a lot of gamers and we've always had a druid, cleric, barbarian, Wizard, Paladin party. I've never played where someone was a bard, and only once saw someone roll a monk. With all the druid content in the game, why not Druid? I looked forward last year around this time for a new class and nothing... another year rolled by and still nothing. In my opinion, just because one of the main people went on to work on Gigantic, doesn't mean the train needed to stop. :) Pretty please druid! :)
  • adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    I still wish the Bard (Red Dragon Disciple) was available to play in Neverwinter. Its not just the ability to breathe fire and have red wings that appeals to me. But emanating from my distant childhood is the ghost of Quickdraw McGraw as "El Ka-bong" invoking the overwhelming desire to smack an Ork over the head with a Lute. xD
  • khelthuzkhelthuz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I really like what BDO and FINAL FANTASY XIV did with their new Monk class. I was wondering since Neverwinter has it's original Monk class, how come we still don't have Monk class in the game.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    OP, I too would like a monk. Wether it would be good or not depends on what role and powers they are given.
    Still, it is not going to happen anytime soon.
    Druid and/or bard are almost certain to come first based on countless threads and dev comments.

> @sockmunkey said:
    > Because monks suck.
    >
    > http://www.ruleofthedice.com/2011/02/monks-suck.html

Subjective.
    And the author of that opinion peice was woefully ignorant of monks.
    Re: His comments on roleplay (totally irrelevant to an MMO... sorry Moonstoners), monks are not "religeous" at all. Monks are devoted to self-discipline.
    Lawfulness is their "religion".
    A monk's mission is sculpting personal mind/body/spirit.
    They draw their power from personal chi, not from a deity like clerics or paladins.

As for them sucking in tabletop editions? Tell that to all the foes whose hearts exploded after my Grand Master of Flowers (Master Long Duk Wang... hey, I was 16yo) smote them with a Quivering Palm. Monks are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> if played well.

Again, none of this matters. Tabletop and MMO are two different Universes. No way to predict the suck score of any future class.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

OP, I too would like a monk. Wether it would be good or not depends on what role and powers they are given.

Druid and/or bard are almost certain to come first based on countless threads and dev comments.

> @sockmunkey said:

> Because monks suck.

>

Subjective.

Re: His comments on roleplay (totally irrelevant to an MMO... sorry Moonstoners), monks are not "religeous" at all. Monks are devoted to self-discipline.

They draw their power from personal chi, not from a deity like clerics or paladins.

As for them sucking in tabletop editions? Tell that to all the foes whose hearts exploded after my Grand Master of Flowers (Master Long Duk Wang... hey, I was 16yo) smote them with a Quivering Palm. Monks are HAMSTER if played well.

Again, none of this matters. Tabletop and MMO are two different Universes. No way to predict the suck score of any future class.

Heh. I liked that movie too :)
    \
  • khelthuzkhelthuz Member Posts: 4 Arc User

> @sockmunkey said:

> Because monks suck.

>

Subjective.

As for them sucking in tabletop editions? Tell that to all the foes whose hearts exploded after my Grand Master of Flowers (Master Long Duk Wang... hey, I was 16yo) smote them with a Quivering Palm. Monks are HAMSTER if played well.

Yeah, I agree on some terms. But I guess it depends on how the developer make or create the character or class. If the developer created a HAMSTER Monk class then of course it will be a HAMSTER. But if the developer created top-notch monk class then it will be great.
  • earlgreybeardearlgreybeard Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    Clerics/priests/monks.. all the same thing.

:hushed:
    j/k

I am putting my money on a Shaman.. this new mod's areas seems like the perfect setting to introduce them
    Guild Leader Den of the Misfits
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Y'all need to step back and logic this problem out.

1. Being a licensed game, Hasbro / WotC has final approval on classes added.
    2. It will almost certainly be a base class from the current PHB (sorry Shamans & Warlords).
    3. Barbarians are pretty much a rehash of GWF. Sorcerers are CWs. You're both cut.

So that leaves us with Monk, Bard, and Druid.

Bards would be tough to make playable from a solo standpoint (not impossible, but difficult).

Druid would need a lot of time (money) spent on art/animation for Wild Shape.

Monks... Would need only their new powers animated.

So, feel free to say what you would *like* to see, but please know that, realistically, you're looking at a very short list of possibilities here.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

2. It will almost certainly be a base class from the current PHB (sorry Shamans & Warlords).

3. Barbarians are pretty much a rehash of GWF. Sorcerers are CWs. You're both cut.

Bards would be tough to make playable from a solo standpoint (not impossible, but difficult).

So, feel free to say what you would *like* to see, but please know that, realistically, you're looking at a very short list of possibilities here.

Monks would be complicated lore wise because 4e monks and Forgotten Realms monks were quite different (the 4e ones are a psionic class). Barbarians would be interesting, but we wouldnt need the type already covered by GF/GWF, so you'd do the charisma based shouty 4e barb. Druids offer much the widest choice of possible types.

Also note that the variants of the classes that have appeared in the game so far tend to be the "essentials" versions, so I'd look there for what they add.

I find myself unable to play any of my 4e characters in this game, assassin, psion, monk, a couple of druids, warden and seeker don't exist here.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2017

cdnbison said:

Monks would be complicated lore wise because 4e monks and Forgotten Realms monks were quite different (the 4e ones are a psionic class). Barbarians would be interesting, but we wouldnt need the type already covered by GF/GWF, so you'd do the charisma based shouty 4e barb. Druids offer much the widest choice of possible types.

Also note that the variants of the classes that have appeared in the game so far tend to be the "essentials" versions, so I'd look there for what they add.

I find myself unable to play any of my 4e characters in this game, assassin, psion, monk, a couple of druids, warden and seeker don't exist here.
    We're on to 5th edition now. All new content is 5th edition based, and has been since the Oathbound Paladin, which is a 5th edition class. As noted in the original posts, when this latest Class poll and the Race poll was created, I was specifically asked by PWE to stick to 5th edition Forgotten Realms races and classes.

• cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    > @zebular said:

> We're on to 5th edition now. All new content is 5th edition based, and has been since the Oathbound Paladin, which is a 5th edition class. As noted in the original posts, when this latest Class poll and the Race poll was created, I was specifically asked by PWE to stick to 5th edition Forgotten Realms races and classes.

Exactly, Zeb.

Monks have worked fine in the 5e games I've been in.

Still rooting for Bards, personally. A bit of buffing, a bit of DPS, some spells... I think it'd be a theory crafters worst nightmare... :-P
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    I think Bards would be a really easy class to flesh out since they are so versatile, but would probably queue as a healer class. PPs would be Lore and Valor, while feat paths would be healing, buff/debuff, and DPS. I already figured anything we'd see would be 5E-based (where Bards are really good), but one thing I'd love to see brought forward from 4E is the power "Impelling Force", done as a reverse of the CW's Repel (pull the enemy towards you). In PvP, that would SO DAMN AWESOME! "Oh, taking pot-shots from a pillar? Not anymore!" "Oh, gonna run past #2 to my home node? Get over here!!!" If I made a PvP Bard, I'd be tempted to name him "Scorpion". :smiley:
    zebular said:

cdnbison said:

We're on to 5th edition now. All new content is 5th edition based, and has been since the Oathbound Paladin, which is a 5th edition class. As noted in the original posts, when this latest Class poll and the Race poll was created, I was specifically asked by PWE to stick to 5th edition Forgotten Realms races and classes.

Hadn't realised that, I've only dabbled in 4th and not played 5th at all, the main campaign I play in is still 3.5 :)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator

Hadn't realised that, I've only dabbled in 4th and not played 5th at all, the main campaign I play in is still 3.5 :)

Mine is still 2nd edition. heh.

zebular said:

Mine is still 2nd edition. heh.

Well I've moved on a little in the 33 years I've been playing :)
  • redrockls3redrockls3 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I would like to invite the devs to take a hard look at how Black Desert Online incorporated the Striker (monk) class. I know this doesn't completely fit into the D&D meta but, on the same token, it was pulled off quite well.

I can't speak to the whole druid or bard thing except to think that they have to fill a specific niche--a niche that I don't think fits very well into the current construct of the game. Unless you plan on making them both heavy damage dealers with a few buffs/debuffs like everything else.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I've long talked about Monk as well as a viable alternative I would hope they'd consider...

Something I think that Neverwinter fans would really enjoy is a Monk based off the D&D Lore of the Kalashtar which has a focus of two paragon's the Path of Light or the Path of Shadows.

One would use more psionic powers to damage adversaries with variations based upon feat choices. While the path of Shadows would enable more a more martial art form for akin to a Ninja.

It be interesting cause it would make another class similar to HR that has two different modes of fighting but depending on how they feat their character which one they excel at would be based on their choices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalashtar
  • adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Bard (Red Dragon Disciple) would not be too complicated to add to Neverwinter.

1.) Primary role as an AoE group buff/mob debuff using song and curse-song
    2.) Breathes fire and casts some spells
    3.) Could use exotic weapons like the dual-sword or as I previously suggested, just whack npcs over the head with a lute.

https://youtu.be/010aaw1Ajo0
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I openly admit I'd love to see a monk based on the Kalashtar, a sort of twist to HR perhaps not having two modes of combat, but two very unique paragons either very Psionic in nature or Martial Arts using their Psychic intuition. Certainly be an interesting dynamic...

But we have seen Bard's showing up in some River Mini instances so who knows... :)

They like to keep things quiet as they still may require a few more reviews of 1 or 2 classes to correct Wizard and/or Rogue. Most are bugs that need to be corrected for the most part, and in a few limited cases buff's or slight nerf's to limited abilities or mechanics.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    From what I am reading from other players and I guess from a source from cyptic or something I don't know what they said on it. The Bard was going to be released with Chult so its possible that it might be released soon. What do you think? I guess its the class that will be released next if it is released.
    edited July 2017
    kreatyve said:

I wouldn't really listen to rumors until they have been proven to be true. So far there has not been any official announcements by Cryptic that the Bard is the next class.

Well I don't know yet if its rumors or something serious I'm not sure the source. I don't see anything talking about it on any news websites but its possible they mentioned it during a life stream or something else. I don't know yet but I'm thinking its possible. Hopefully its true, it would be interesting to see. Which is why I made this thread on the subject because a guild mate earlier mentioned something about it. Hoping to learn more info about this if it is true.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited July 2017
    The devs did say they had a class in the works, but couldn't complete it in time for mod 12. They also said long ago that bard and monk were two they were eyeing for a next class. I believe druid may have been mentioned, too, but don't recall specifically when. Everything else is speculation.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min

Well, the druid was assumed to be next class when we got the druid NPC in PE. The Bard became the rumor because of the Bard enemy in the Adventurer parties in River District. My bet is the Bard. I see no reason for them to add Bard to adventurer parties if the class is not coming. And yes, I am excited. I have been ready for a new class forever, it is long overdue. I hope a new race is in the works as well.

I was thinking it was going to be druid too, but now I'm starting to think its bard thats going to come out next. Its possible they will have it with part B of module twelve or maybe earlier if they finish up the class.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Well, the druid was assumed to be next class when we got the druid NPC in PE. The Bard became the rumor because of the Bard enemy in the Adventurer parties in River District. My bet is the Bard. I see no reason for them to add Bard to adventurer parties if the class is not coming. And yes, I am excited. I have been ready for a new class forever, it is long overdue. I hope a new race is in the works as well.

I am happy they are taking so long to release a new class. I would much rather they finish the class balance project & put out a valid, workable new class (whatever it may be) than release something that breaks immediately.