test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Offcial Feedback Thread: changes to Item Level system

Comments

• treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    asterdahl said:

This could easily be a 2000 point drop in your item level for the rest of the fight. Does the dungeon kick you?

As others have pointed out, you will not be kicked out of a queue if your item level drops below the entry threshold, this has always been the case. The only change is that you may need to ensure your companion is summoned in order to queue, if it is what is pushing you over the entry requirement.

It is statistically unlikely that someone is going to be running R12 utility enchants, but only R5s in their offense slots. It is statistically unlikely that someone is going to have 5 legendary companions but not a decent weapon enchant or mythic active artifact (which is also not a Catalogue). And if you do happen to run into someone who is at that extreme of a bell curve... it makes a good story to tell later.

We discussed what to do with utility enchants, in the end as we were already increasing the overall contribution of equipment to item level vis-à-vis gems, and additionally adding item level to a number of new systems, we decided to leave them alone. As you point out, it's an unlikely for someone to run rank 12 utility enchants and low ranks everywhere else.

Generally, if a system can be exploited to get unintended results, it will be. However, as it would take a significant amount of effort to build rank 12 utility enchants, and that work could have just as easily been put into offense enchants, we're not concerned. We also believe that by the time you are starting to think about raising things to the highest ranks, you've had the opportunity to learn (at least to a basic degree) what things are most important for your character. In the end we did make some decisions so that, as some have pointed out, the item level system would remain relatively simple to understand.

Even if you were running rank 12 utility enchants with terrible items everywhere else, your relative item level would be so much lower than it would have been before the changes, because other systems are being taken into account.

Hum....each fey blessing r8 is 10k on ah, worth 39 IL each, so at most of most we would see 6 slots of using them, 234IL
    23400/6600 = 3.5;
    Now:
    23400/1600 = 14,625

It's a good improvement but still it's a dead hanging IL unless there....unless only movement would be considered and other kinds of utility slots had their monetary value considered as IL (which makes sense to me).

Another thing, i don't know if you (cryptic team) have planned anything for companions as of right now but can you increase the stats from companions that give stats 4 times at least by now? (this will also throw some value to companion influence stat, which in nice ^^).

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

In principal this seems like a good change. However I don't understand the rational that players should have access to the same queues they have now. That is the only practical part of a power rating system. If nothing changes as the result of the new system then why bother changing at all. It just changes the relative sizes of a few ePeens. If it is just a system to recognise your the progress of your toon then the new system is absolutely fine and dandy. However if it were part of a revamp of the queue requirements. Maybe the minimum GS requirement could be accompanied by a second requirement for group content, either a total or average gear score for the group somewhat higher than the minimum requirement. This would allow players access to the content they have now but would mean fewer unviable groups forming. My first experience of CN as a 2.1K player was a group of 2k-ish players. We didn't get across the first bridge and it has made me wary of CN ever since, result I've run it less than half a dozen times.

Nitpick; a boon which gives 400 stat points gives 30 GS but an enchantment that gives 430 gives 58 GS. I understand that not all boons are created equal but some are more powerful than 400 stat points to balance those that aren't.

My main is 2810 on Live and 10665 on preview. So currently scrapes into SVA but under the new rules has access to everything.

I think I might buy up a few cheap purple companions. The bot masters will want them to boost GS.

everything coming with 0.001 chance like legendary mounts are not actually a progress happened via playing the game but pure luck.
  • zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I suggest that buffed item level should be shown alongside item level.

Example:
    Item level 15,200 (18,800)

Pots add significant player power.

Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    The system is still flawed. For example: You can get 5 epic companions contributing 4-5% dmg boost for a few millions AD each or 5 epic companions giving 300 stats, each for 20-30k AD.

That being said, I still think, that the new system will be better, to give ppl a perspective of the gear difference. There will always be ppl boosting their IL with useless companions etc, but at last you wont get punished for gearing up your companion before yourself.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    asterotg said:

The system is still flawed. For example: You can get 5 epic companions contributing 4-5% dmg boost for a few millions AD each or 5 epic companions giving 300 stats, each for 20-30k AD.

That being said, I still think, that the new system will be better, to give ppl a perspective of the gear difference. There will always be ppl boosting their IL with useless companions etc, but at last you wont get punished for gearing up your companion before yourself.

I think the percentage of your IL you can boost with useless things (extra L companions and utility enchants, ie) will be much lower now than it has been. Right now, you can go from something like 3.9 to 4.3 with extras.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User

asterotg said:

I think the percentage of your IL you can boost with useless things (extra L companions and utility enchants, ie) will be much lower now than it has been. Right now, you can go from something like 3.9 to 4.3 with extras.
    It is even more, as it is now. My better geared alts have legendary artifact gear, mystic artifacts, T. weapon enchants, full R12s in offense slots, R9s+ in defense and utility slots and they have ~ 3.6k IL. The rest is insignificant compared to the benefit you will get as a dps char.

You are right, ppl will just be able to get a few 1000 IL with useless gear/companions etc and have do the grind for the rest.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
    edited March 2017
    My general feedback so far:

Taking a look at boons:

The number of stats per IL of equipment is 3000/340 = 8,82.
    The value of each boon is 30*8.82 = 264, while realistically and using only "non overpowered" boons they will be worth at least 500 stats (as an average of a player with all of them), so it's not wrong to say they are worth the double, the ideal would be split the IL among them (weaker with less, stronger with more) but a more simple solution would be give 60 to them all.

Companions:

Legendary bonus has 2 paths, either only 1 will give the extra 100 or all the 5 will give 15% of the companion stats, either way i believe this will have a solution before gets to live, so no problem.

Augments: Considering 100 stats for an augment companion is correct since all the items put in the companion stats will be taken in consideration for IL.
    Non augments: If we consider the companion contribution, the IL put upon them from the equipment will not make justice (stats work completely different on companions, for example giving a companion 10 life steal will grant the companion 100% LS chance but giving 2000 arm penetration, or something around, will give them 3% RI) but the companion even with low stats many times will. So by now, maintain it that until a companion rework comes, no matter how much it will take seems to be wise (there is also a lot of other factor's to take in consideration like guild marks, buffs that a companion is not benefiting but players are etc..).

About active bonus, considering that a purple companion gives 300 of a stat and augments can as well, i see no problem in matching stats to the 100 IL they will give to the players, specially because many companions already do (for example siege master 4% additional damage), this meaning the 300 would jump to 8.8*100= 880, 900(yep i was wrong before, i know). There are some exceptions to this such as the quasit.

About bonding's, they definitively make the "this companion is worth as much as an augment so the IL in it will be considered fully" into a "this is much more than an augment", whether they are to give more IL or be reworked i will reserve my opinion, got enough people mad at me already ^^, but this definitively needs to be analyzed.

About insignias, they don't reflect totally accurately the influence on the player because of the weight of bonus are not easy to estimate, one thing i would change is shepherd devotion, in spite of the nerf (from 15 to 10 seconds) many players are still capable of maintaining the buff permanently up, it's a stacking buff and i totally agree with that but i think putting a cool down on it would make it more accurate for IL measurement (some players can give permanently at least 5%DR, 5% deflect chance and 5% movement to all team, including me xD).

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Bonding has an easy solution. Just have the % transferred to the player include amount of ilvl the companion has equipped.
  • dratomic1#3275 dratomic1 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

We discussed what to do with utility enchants, in the end as we were already increasing the overall contribution of equipment to item level vis-à-vis gems, and additionally adding item level to a number of new systems, we decided to leave them alone. As you point out, it's an unlikely for someone to run rank 12 utility enchants and low ranks everywhere else.

Generally, if a system can be exploited to get unintended results, it will be. However, as it would take a significant amount of effort to build rank 12 utility enchants, and that work could have just as easily been put into offense enchants, we're not concerned. We also believe that by the time you are starting to think about raising things to the highest ranks, you've had the opportunity to learn (at least to a basic degree) what things are most important for your character. In the end we did make some decisions so that, as some have pointed out, the item level system would remain relatively simple to understand.

Even if you were running rank 12 utility enchants with terrible items everywhere else, your relative item level would be so much lower than it would have been before the changes, because other systems are being taken into account.

When I'm finished with a character I give him movement utilities then move the R12's that free up to my new character. Not that uncommon a practise at all from what I see around me.

On my main I also happen to have 4 legendary companions from switching out to other summoned companions over time.

I don't know but I seem to qualify for everything that should be an exception.

Bottomline however is that it's such a waste knowing that the IL is going to be flawed right out of the door again, given the fact that it is used as a potential performance indicator.
    Yes the system will always be flawed, but why bring it live knowing there is a couple of things wrong with it from the start.

IMHO the first 7 powerpoints should get points, utility slots should just grant 1 point each, overload slots should grant a little more then just 1 point, legendary companion should only count for the summoned one.

Skipping out on those tweaks hurts what has been a great effort so far, and that is just such a shame towards the work you guys have put in.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2017

I dont know what about legendary companions but in preview i have ALL 5 companions legendary but only for summon companion give me 400 il...for others 4 only 100 il per companion, same in epic.

I'm going to quote this because I think it's been completely overlooked in all the chest-pounding and hair-tearing over how people will get too much item level if they make all their companions legendary.

Look everyone! Someone actually TESTED it!

Edit: From further discussion, this may or may not be accurate. You win this one, Cecilia.
    Post edited by beckylunatic on
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

I dont know what about legendary companions but in preview i have ALL 5 companions legendary but only for summon companion give me 400 il...for others 4 only 100 il per companion, same in epic.

Can you provide any additional details about how you tested this? Also, what does it mean that your summoned companion gave you 400ilvl? Did it have any gear equipped that would cause it to provide greater than 200ilvl?

When I tested on March 25th (a week ago) I found some conflicting results. It's possible that with yesterday's preview patch these have been changed. I plan to retest when I get home later today.

When I tested, I found that multiple orange companions each contributed their respective ilvl. I also found that the ilvl values weren't lining up with what was stated in the patch notes. As of my testing on March 25th, companions were granting 30/60/90/120/150 ilvl for white/green/blue/purple/orange, rather than the stated 10/25/50/100/200.

Again, it's possible that these have been changed since I tested, so I will spin up Preview again tonight to confirm one way or the other.
    Now:
    Blue = 90;
    Purple=120
    Legendary=150
    Stacking regardless of the combination, multiple legendary wont give another additional 15% of companion stats, i guess it's better wait now.

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    @rgutscheradev companions still giving different ilvl than your post states they should:
    BUG: Companions are still granting 30/60/90/120/150 ilvl for white/green/blue/purple/orange, rather than the stated 10/25/50/100/200

@panteleelee my testing also re-confirmed that orange companions still add 150 each, regardless of multiple. Any chance you got confused when you were testing?

Now:
    Blue = 90;
    Purple=120
    Legendary=150
    Stacking regardless of the combination, multiple legendary wont give another additional 15% of companion stats, i guess it's better wait now.

Confirmed and aligned with my own testing, thanks :)

FWIW, I think that having multiple orange pets contributing to ilvl is relatively minor. In fact most of this discussion about ilvl not accurately capturing good builds is a little silly... working on a perfectly balanced ilvl system is a waste of valuable development time. This update strikes a reasonable balance and was needed to incorporate all of the sweet sources of buildy goodness, but we don't need to create complicated calculations to make sure people aren't puffing up their chest by 100ilvl.
  • eddiestormeddiestorm Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I am a bit concerned I have 2 characters each with a live ilvl of just over 2k which is from trade bar dusk gear and entry level artifact gear (neverember reward for getting 70, spinward reward, etc). This allows me to do Tier 1 and Tier 2 epics. However when I coped these characters over to the preview shard this only gives me about 6.3k iLVL which is below the standard to get into even malabog. Is this intended?

I am a bit concerned I have 2 characters each with a live ilvl of just over 2k which is from trade bar dusk gear and entry level artifact gear (neverember reward for getting 70, spinward reward, etc). This allows me to do Tier 1 and Tier 2 epics. However when I coped these characters over to the preview shard this only gives me about 6.3k iLVL which is below the standard to get into even malabog. Is this intended?

Probably yes, try fill everything you can (companions all 5 even if uncommon, 5 mounts and insignias even if green), i didn´t understand the artifact part if you don't have 4 artifact get them and put them to at least rare quality about enchants get r7, they mark the border of beginner and begginer-ish, getting dragon hoards or fey blessing for your utility slots will come out more expensive but will compensate long term.

• eddiestormeddiestorm Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I guess what I was trying to get at is that with the current state of preview my ability to participate in content is significantly lowered. If this went live today I would go from being able to participate in T2 epic dungeons to not being able to do any epics at all. I do realize that my characters need work but I am trying to find out if it is the intention of this to significant lower our abilities?

I mean its like you logged in and all your level 70 character were now level 50.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited April 2017

I guess what I was trying to get at is that with the current state of preview my ability to participate in content is significantly lowered. If this went live today I would go from being able to participate in T2 epic dungeons to not being able to do any epics at all. I do realize that my characters need work but I am trying to find out if it is the intention of this to significant lower our abilities?

I mean its like you logged in and all your level 70 character were now level 50.

Exactly what I said Cryptic wants you to buy bonding rune stones and epic mounts / insignia's and companions now to make up for this discrepancy (the real average player item level that content was balanced for including guild boons ( ///not that hard to psudo artificially raise your item level tho

This also prevents low gear scored people from leeching off parties just to do ad farming on their alts and being carried
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    asterdahl said:

There will be some players in your shoes, there will also be some players who may have previously not met the requirements because they had invested their time and AD broadly in systems that weren't tabulated in the old item level system who can now participate in a given queue.

We pulled a large swathe of player data from the live shard and compared their item levels before and after the changes when making the new entry requirements. In reality a nearly identical number of players can meet the entry requirements both before and after the changes, but on an individual case your status may have changed. I have expressed in the past before that we believe some of the entry requirements are too low, and with Fangbreaker and beyond we moved closer to numbers that are more realistic, however, the item level change was not intended to raise the requirements.

However, as a result of adding previously unaccounted for systems and sheer statistics, if you invested solely in the systems that gave you item level before and just managed to scrape by on entry requirements you may find yourself needing to put a bit more work into other areas before you can enter dungeons once again. We believe that generally in most cases players were already looking at these areas of characters in their party before. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience for those players who had just met the entry requirements and encourage you to work on filling out other areas of your character before the updates go live.

+1 well said sir (one of the best phrased ever dev posts I have ever seen)a little more diplomatic then how I phrased things earlier in this thread.. it was my concern for lower level tunes ...But I was playing devils advocate since I 'm well geared anyways... This system should encourage people to learn systems better and try a bit harder instead of just scraping by well done

"encourage you to work on filling out other areas of your character before the updates go live."
    my favourite line :D
    gear up and dont be a scrub : D
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    +1
    "Gear up and don't be a scub"
    Lol
  • lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    Stuff that give iLvl and don't actually improve your toon's performance are vanity/ad/money sink for those after BiS
    Why ?
    There's no point giving "value" to stuff that have absolutely no value regarding your toon's effectiveness.

I'd also like to disagree with removing it from the ulitity enchant.
    Darks that add movement provide with a stat to your toon, why remove it from there for example ?
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Utility should count the same.

I have all rank 12 dark's in my utility slots for max mobility. I can run out of large red zones and not die, while people that lack my mobility get combo aoe smashed and killed.

Utility slots should give the same rank as offense and defensive slots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    It is achievable to flesh out your character without spending a world of AD/ZEN. Buying purple/blue mounts, insignia's, companions + enchants (R7/R8's) are fairly cheap from the AH.
  • dratomic1#3275 dratomic1 Member Posts: 66 Arc User

I have all rank 12 dark's in my utility slots for max mobility. I can run out of large red zones and not die, while people that lack my mobility get combo aoe smashed and killed.

It's already said by the devs that they aren't changing the utility system.

For arguments sake however, the utility Darks add are minimal when equiped in utility slots and there are far more people equiping true utility enchantments in their enchantment slots such as gold/xp boosters and drop boosters.

Ideally Darks in utility slots would add some Item Level and gold/xp/drop boosters would add none.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Anyone that has high ranking enchants in utility already has what is needed to meet requirements for end game content. I really do not understand why peeps are sooo concerned that utilities have same IL. Sounds a little nit picky to me.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

i agree that Dark enchantment should count as the other runes, but dragonhoard (like i use) and other like this shoudnt, since they dont help on performance.

btw i think Dark is the only one that really help, cant remember any other giving any stat at all