test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M11 Dev Q&A

Comments

• ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    The problem is, as I see it, you could easily discuss any of the poll suggestions without discussing their relation to PVP. This is what I'd be concerned would happen. Each poll selection is vague enough that they could talk about coding any number of elements without giving us any insight on the direction those elements will be taking us in the future, especially in relation to PVP.

Like foundry creators I think the PVP community feels largely ignored. When we do get attention it's the wrong kind, the kinds we don't want with more broken gear/items/boons. SH siege is a prime example. I'm sure lots of "art" and coding went into creating that map and moba style which now lies completely dormant, a wasteland of resources and creativity. Because our feedback was ignored.

What we want to ensure is that we get a feel for what devs think about PVP elements and content and where it is likely headed. It's really that important to us in determining what we do with our spare time.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Most of the PvP stuff would more than likely fall under System Designs. Things like "item/gear-balance in PvP" would totally fall under that category. "Matchmaking" would either fall under that or possibly Engineering? I'm not 100% sure on that one. I'm not sure that they will be answering questions about future content, because a lot of that is under NDA. Please note that this is all my opinion and in no way official, I'm not writing in my moderator Orange.

I'm not sure exactly what Foundry would fall under, but probably some parts "over all game design", some parts "Engineering"? Maybe some "Production" as well?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • jaystrides1jaystrides1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    PVP

One and only Krispynator

edited February 2017
    @kreatyve it's not so much about them breaking NDA. It's about identifying their perspective. You can tell how people feel about topics by what they say and how they say it (or what they don't say for that matter). These streams are the rare chance for players to gain some insight from the devs perspective on different elements of the game.

It's important that we get to hear about what their thoughts are in relation to PVP. If, for example, the dev/devs chose to briefly touch on PVP and spend most of their time talking about other areas/projects it tells us 2 things:

1) We didn't glean much from them about what we care about.

2) They don't find what we care about that high on the priority list.

Then we make decisions regarding how to spend spare time/money in game.

*addendum: It's difficult enough for you to find a poll suggestion that fits our interest, that's exactly why we're being specific. The suggestions are too vague to know exactly what fits in which category.

imgur pics don't work

• nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    Why is the foundry ... dead?
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    araneax said:

Foundry.

New Dungeons.

New stories.

Less grind.

Foundry.

+1

+1 more
    Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
    Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
    Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
    JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
    Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited March 2017

@kreatyve it's not so much about them breaking NDA. It's about identifying their perspective. You can tell how people feel about topics by what they say and how they say it (or what they don't say for that matter). These streams are the rare chance for players to gain some insight from the devs perspective on different elements of the game.

It's important that we get to hear about what their thoughts are in relation to PVP. If, for example, the dev/devs chose to briefly touch on PVP and spend most of their time talking about other areas/projects it tells us 2 things:

*addendum: It's difficult enough for you to find a poll suggestion that fits our interest, that's exactly why we're being specific. The suggestions are too vague to know exactly what fits in which category.

Well, they also have the issue where if they say that they like an idea, people seem to think that is a promise that the suggestion will make it into the game, and then if something happens where it's just not possible to implement, people get all mad - "well, you promised" - and stuff like that. I do know that they do not wish to kill PvP, and I do know that they have been actively working on ways to improve the PvP experience, however, resources are limited, so things take a long time for changes to take place.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • oenoe#3780 oenoe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    would like to see some guild improvements, make it easier to keep track of who is active and contributing to the guild coffer, and a guild event page where members can accept or decline so you can see how many of each class gonna show up makes it easier to plan DF or dungeons run nights,
    @kreatyve I don't disagree with any of that. I don't think we're looking for anything but the actual devs perspective from "the horses mouth", so to speak, on PVP.

imgur pics don't work

• biibiisaibiibiisai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 133 Arc User
    Hasn't been pvping since mod 10. Please consider giving it some love.
  • earlgreybeardearlgreybeard Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    ayroux said:

So counting ALL the posts and dividing them into TWO camps:
    PVP
    ALL OTHER TOPICS.

So far, up to this point.

PVP posts - 52
    ALL OTHER posts - 39
    Seems like PVP is the majority (if you cant tell) of what people want.

Also interesting to note, the "ALL OTHER" posts section is primarily made up of Foundry Requests.

Aside from my "Stat Equalization" post on Page 3 - mimicing what WoW has done. I dont understand why we have not utilized Foundry for PVP maps. The solution seems VERY simple here. Create a new "Event": "Make your own PVP map!" You create two QUEs - the normal PVP que and the new "test foundry PVP" Que.

Players can submit PVP maps, it will que people into said PVP maps, they vote on the map.

At the END of the event (2-4 weeks) YOU (DEVS/Cryptic) evaluate the top 3 maps, give awards to those creator (titles?) and then do a quick Q/A pass over the #1 map and then throw it into the Domination Mix.

The community can create the PVP maps. I have played a few foundry maps that were made for the intent of being a "test pvp map" and it was AWESOME. It blows my mind we are not using the creative power of the community....

Same can be said for dungeons. Run an event. Take the top ranked dungeon. Do a QA Pass through it, and create a new list of "Cryptic Approved" dungeons in the Foundry that have all passed QA and have chests at the end of them - treated like every other dungeon, also with appropriate loot tables.

Let the community DESIGN, community vote, you (DEVs) can do Quality Control and EVERYONE is happy. We get new content faster and MORE of it. You have less work....

In that case let people submit different maps in the game for consideration to go into the epic dungeon list.. I have always thought a user created epic clockwork tomb map would be awesome.. interested parties could vote on a list of maps from the old missing dungeons and low level areas and maps and add epic dungeon mobs and bosses.... though user created loot tables would be out of the question I guess :disappointed:

Guild Leader Den of the Misfits
  • nyfarius#5527 nyfarius Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    We should talk about redesigning boss encounters to make healing relevant again, and to reduce the players' dependence on buffs/debuffs to survive all the one-shot mechanics. Having hard-hitting attacks that don't one-shot most players, but still require quick thinking to restore health before the next hit, would be vastly superior to attacks that will insta-kill you unless guarded by overpowered cleric/pally/guardian buffs.

Also, making some differentiation in the way a heavy damage attack is telegraphed vs a primarily control-type attack with less damage. Maybe different colors? Or a distinctly different pattern? Having both draw the same red spot on the ground does not help someone with a strong GWF Unstoppable build decide whether to get out of the red, or stay because of immunity to control effects during Unstoppable, for instance.
  • nyfarius#5527 nyfarius Member Posts: 4 Arc User

Recovery and Regeneration as stat options? :(

Since when is Regeneration a useful stat, for any class?

• fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 12 Arc User
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User

Hi everyone! Just wanted to clarify that this poll is for what Dev topic you would be interested in seeing on a Twitch/FB stream. This would involve having the relevant Developer for that topic do a live Q&A. This poll is not intended to reflect what area of the game you would like to see more work being done on, but simply what area of Neverwinter development you are most interested in learning about. For example, say you really want an update in the Game's PvP aspect but you want to learn more about how classes are balanced or how we design the environment for a dungeon/battle. You would then choose either Systems Design or Environment Art in this poll.

Hope that helps clarify any confusion!

What if you adapt and actually start talking about PvP? It seems like you have lots of players here that wants that. Stop ignoring us pls.

For myself, Im not that interested in HOW things are made. I more interested in WHY things are made or not made in a certain way. We need to talk about how we can get stuff done, not how stuff is done.

For example,
    Why does PvP not getting any focus at all?
    Why didnt we get any new maps since the game launched?
    Why does the leaderboard not work?
    Why do we still have major gaps in gear/boons in PvP?
    Why do BiS players get matched against players in green gear?
    Why do new players have to PvP without tenacity?

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i decided to vote for enivorinment concept, but that okay.

what i didnt see, what we really do need as priority, most want pvp, but i dont care for pvp. what i care the most.
    1. a full overhaul of invoking for ardent and celestrial boxes, they are outdated and ADs got pull out, blessing cap on ADs doesnt seem right for alts, they need coal wards for upgradings to handle tough weekly missions, they cant do it hard way for refinings and much needed power points.
    2. Overflow XP rewards are pitiful, why do some alts already 70 would need rank 5 or xp scrolls, need full overhaul too.
    3. profession kits are weak and treated like dirty babywipes after they were nerfed, need complete overhaul, then why those profession kits are same as overland kits, since dungeons are suppose to be as "Elite" for profession kits, should yield more materials and random crafting materials and keep overland as basic resource gatherings.
    4. leaderships and craftings, leadership got hurt the most of all, need full overhaul, what we do with refugees and maps after we no longer get ADs.
    5. stronghold crafter quests and the cost and materials wasted in fails due to unwanted RNG put a dent to "leveling progression" or get next tier mission reachable, kill that RNG from crafting.
    6. boss room chests, no green drops, ever.
    7. last on list, clean up all the zen, ADs, and T-bar market, some of items seem to overlap, dont forget seal and consumeable merchants.

oops, almost forgot, Bank need new version of Vault format for potions/alchemy, appearances, and "seasonal" items from festivals and some CTA events. we are sick of inventory hassles for months, and Mod 11 fills up way too fast.
  • araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    Well in this case i would like devs to have a topic of how they will change the game so players do not get one shot .
    You know.. i would like to hear what the word " healing " means for them.
    And what a cleric class should mean in Neverwinter Dungeon and Dragons.

That is what i would love to know.

Are we damage dealers ?
    Buffers ?
    Or some third class , cos healing is dead.
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• flash1337flash1337 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Well, they also have the issue where if they say that they like an idea, people seem to think that is a promise that the suggestion will make it into the game, and then if something happens where it's just not possible to implement, people get all mad - "well, you promised" - and stuff like that. I do know that they do not wish to kill PvP, and I do know that they have been actively working on ways to improve the PvP experience, however, resources are limited, so things take a long time for changes to take place.
    With all due respect. It doesn't feel like they have been "actively working on ways to improve the PVP experience". It feels like pvpers have been trying to give honest feedback for many modules now. Stat inflation is creating a huge gear wall for new players to enter pvp. ontop of that, you have bis pvp players who cant find any real competition. the power gap is too much. stats need to be normalized for all players so a new players going into pvp stands a fair shot at beating a bis pvp player.

this is what both the bis pvp player and the new player want.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    araneax said:

Well in this case i would like devs to have a topic of how they will change the game so players do not get one shot .
    You know.. i would like to hear what the word " healing " means for them.
    And what a cleric class should mean in Neverwinter Dungeon and Dragons.

That is what i would love to know.

Are we damage dealers ?
    Buffers ?
    Or some third class , cos healing is dead.

Oh yes, definitely this. I'd like to know what they think about the mechanics between NPC damage, player damage, player self healing (lifesteal) and group healing (healers).
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    Old dungoens!!!!

• araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    spideymt said:

Old dungoens!!!!

You know that is a hot potato topic.

1st RULE: We do not talk about Old Dungeons club.
    2nd RULE: We do not talk about Old Dungeons club.
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    araneax said:

You know that is a hot potato topic.

1st RULE: We do not talk about Old Dungeons club.
    2nd RULE: We do not talk about Old Dungeons club.

Ok....
    Dungeons old!!!

Better? :)

• espeeoespeeo Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 60 Arc User
    I voted for "Systems Design (stats, balance, etc.)". I hope this includes PvP.
    We need more pvp-modes, more maps, more events.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    wylonus said:

i decided to vote for enivorinment concept, but that okay.

what i didnt see, what we really do need as priority, most want pvp, but i dont care for pvp. what i care the most.
    1. a full overhaul of invoking for ardent and celestrial boxes, they are outdated and ADs got pull out, blessing cap on ADs doesnt seem right for alts, they need coal wards for upgradings to handle tough weekly missions, they cant do it hard way for refinings and much needed power points.
    2. Overflow XP rewards are pitiful, why do some alts already 70 would need rank 5 or xp scrolls, need full overhaul too.
    3. profession kits are weak and treated like dirty babywipes after they were nerfed, need complete overhaul, then why those profession kits are same as overland kits, since dungeons are suppose to be as "Elite" for profession kits, should yield more materials and random crafting materials and keep overland as basic resource gatherings.
    4. leaderships and craftings, leadership got hurt the most of all, need full overhaul, what we do with refugees and maps after we no longer get ADs.
    5. stronghold crafter quests and the cost and materials wasted in fails due to unwanted RNG put a dent to "leveling progression" or get next tier mission reachable, kill that RNG from crafting.
    6. boss room chests, no green drops, ever.
    7. last on list, clean up all the zen, ADs, and T-bar market, some of items seem to overlap, dont forget seal and consumeable merchants.

oops, almost forgot, Bank need new version of Vault format for potions/alchemy, appearances, and "seasonal" items from festivals and some CTA events. we are sick of inventory hassles for months, and Mod 11 fills up way too fast.

Soooo... what you actually care about is ALL systems design stuff.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    flash1337 said:

kreatyve said:

With all due respect. It doesn't feel like they have been "actively working on ways to improve the PVP experience". It feels like pvpers have been trying to give honest feedback for many modules now. Stat inflation is creating a huge gear wall for new players to enter pvp. ontop of that, you have bis pvp players who cant find any real competition. the power gap is too much. stats need to be normalized for all players so a new players going into pvp stands a fair shot at beating a bis pvp player.

this is what both the bis pvp player and the new player want.
    This. PVP used to be amazing and from what I understand, it used to be the biggest revenue maker for this game. Am I wrong?

But PVP seems to have been completely neglected. The "PVP Community" has been posting ruthlessly on the forums to no avail... Honestly @kreatyve at this point, I really see it as an objectively right approach to strip out all the power-creep that has caused PVP so much harm. I get it, they dont want to make all the campaigns worthless, which they WOULDNT be... Let me lay this out so its very clear.

Player hits max level. Low GS. Does quests/dailies etc to get boons in order to more easily do PVE content to get higher GearScore/ItemLevel THUS = when they go into PVP, they get more stats.

Its all still connected. Removing boons/mount bonuses/insignias etc from PVP will NOT make those things worthless at all! In fact they are still very necessary to run all the best/hardest PVE content IN ORDER to get the highest item level IN ORDER to have the "most stats in PVP".

There are TWO methods the DEVS can use to "normalize PVP" stats/gear.

Method 1) Remove any item that does not contribute towards Item Level (just for PVP - akin to companions). This would be 100% of boons (minus the PVP specific boons), this would be mount bonuses, companions, insignias, overloads, etc.

Anything that effects a players itemlevel, will stay "active" in PVP. This approach allows for the most customization, BUT does not give as level a playing field as the next option.....

Method 2) Copy what WOW did. This is my recommended approach. What they can do, are create "template" stats for each and every class. This really is not that much work to do. So you create stat templates for each class. Everyone has the same template. A DPS DC will have the same stats as a Healer DC. Why? Because its easy and simple and you can give the DC stats for BOTH. (Power/crit/recovery/HP/defense/deflect/etc. are ALL universal good stats) So you dont need different stats for different builds.

THEN, you estimate a "fair item level" for that template. I would target 3k.
    THEN, you give a small bonus (say 1% more of all the stats) for every 100 item level your ACTUAL character has over 3k. (so a 4,300 Ilevel gets 13% more stats).
    So lets say you gave all DCs 5k power. A 4,300 Ilevel player would get 650 more power and have 5,650 Power in PVP.

People will STILL want max Itemlevel to have max stats in PVP. The only difference now is.... ANYONE can be "competitive" in PVP.

Everyone wins. Players will FLOCK back to Neverwinter to do PVP because it still has a great PVP system - regardless of neglect it has faced for years!
  • momnipotentmomnipotent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    PVP used to be THE END GAME CONTENT in Neverwinter, and for many it still is, but through its lengthy neglect, the pvp pool has diminished drastically. We love PVP because it is constantly changing as to whom you are fighting and what the players will do in given situations. It is very different from the repetitive nature of PVE. One can only do so many runs of MSVA or FBI for a challenge.

As a guild leader of Synergy, I have an entire roster of pvp players who are often unable to find a competitive match unless it is prearranged, or we create a game amongst ourselves with inhouses. I would say that class balance has certainly contributed to that over time. I would also argue that while Stronghold pvp was something that got everyone excited, the amount of lag inside made it unplayable at times. That, combined with the fact that it was tied to currency gain for one mod's gear only...made it quickly obsolete. If it could be updated for new substantial loot or armour gains, I am certain people would play it again.

Lastly, I have been playing this game for years, and yet we have the same PVP maps since the beginning. I did a Cryptic survey recently asking for my input, and in it I strongly suggested new maps for pvp. We would like some variety and some challenge...an acknowledgement that we as pvp players matter. As an aside, when we do 10 minute dungeon runs and get a purple or blue item to salvage, we can make AD. Doing pvp all day we get VERY LITTLE in return, and our efforts are certainly 12-15 per game. If the time and effort is comparable, then why are the rewards incongruous?

Please listen to the PVP community. We control the majority of large Rank 20 Stronghold guilds. We have the majority of veteran players. We have people who love this game and want to play it, but slowly people are slipping away in search of something new for their pvp.
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    PVP

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User

Hi everyone! Just wanted to clarify that this poll is for what Dev topic you would be interested in seeing on a Twitch/FB stream. This would involve having the relevant Developer for that topic do a live Q&A. This poll is not intended to reflect what area of the game you would like to see more work being done on, but simply what area of Neverwinter development you are most interested in learning about. For example, say you really want an update in the Game's PvP aspect but you want to learn more about how classes are balanced or how we design the environment for a dungeon/battle. You would then choose either Systems Design or Environment Art in this poll.

Hope that helps clarify any confusion!

What if you adapt and actually start talking about PvP? It seems like you have lots of players here that wants that. Stop ignoring us pls.

For myself, Im not that interested in HOW things are made. I more interested in WHY things are made or not made in a certain way. We need to talk about how we can get stuff done, not how stuff is done.

For example,
    Why does PvP not getting any focus at all?
    Why didnt we get any new maps since the game launched?
    Why does the leaderboard not work?
    Why do we still have major gaps in gear/boons in PvP?
    Why do BiS players get matched against players in green gear?
    Why do new players have to PvP without tenacity?
    Great post. I think they would say they "have" given PVP focus. The problem is, as I wrote in a previous post, they create new PVP content (like SH Siege) but then ignore the PVPer feedback and listen to PVE feedback. A GREAT example for both SH siege and IWD and why they quickly became obsolete - Companions.

No PVPer ever took them seriously because of all the companions/stats/triggers. Siege lasted for a LITTLE while but is now pointless because of the lag.. because of all the interactions, including companions. You get a Paladin/GF that have massive interactions going on, the lag is unbelievable. PART of this issue? Boons/Companions.

Why does LB not work? IDK. Thats a good question. Maybe because they had to remove ELO because matchmaking wasnt working, and in doing so they have nothing to base LB on? Just my guess.

Major gear gap/boons in PVP? Because they think (falsely) that if they dont allow this, they will lose sales. If they can constantly release new gear/items you need RP for, PVPers will buy these things and itll result in profits. This is false though. This is almost like "taxing". We have the "1%ers" in NW, who control most of the wealth, who are not impacted by new RP items each module, and then average players who never had BIS to begin with, that constantly struggle to get gear.

The 1%ers are always BIS and will always be BIS. Thus each module, every new "thing" to get, puts average players further behind the "BIS-elites" who always have what they want. Each module, however, comes with more and more power-creep which just means that "gap" gets larger.

Anyways, PVP has dominated this thread. Its painfully obvious (to me) that this is likely the #1 most desired topic they could address/talk about.

If I were running this company (because it is a company FOR PROFIT) I would take some DEV time away from other things and spend a LITTLE time on PVP.
    - normalizing gear
    - new PVP maps/modes
    - fix the leaderboard
    - Bring back the NCL with cosmetic rewards at the end of the season.

Doing this, will bring hundreds of PVPers back to NW, all of which ARE willing to PAY for stuff. You dont need to try and "force" them to pay. People will GLADLY pay if they like your product. Path of Exile is case and point. Zero "pay for power" and 100% cosmetic, yet them employ 90+ FULL TIME devs for a 100% F2P game. Maybe its time to look at a change in direction/focus.

People honestly, frankly, truly, dont care about "how" things are made. They care about where the game is today, what its lacking, and where the vision is for the future. This thread has been dominated by PVPers saying they want to know the vision for NW PVP and why it hasnt been given its "dev time" like all the other areas.
This discussion has been closed.