What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I never got the feeling from them that the Druid class was all but confirmed. I felt it was pretty wide open what the next class would be.
  • Options
    kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zogara wrote: »
    I mean, it was never officially confirmed or anything, but there were several hints that the Druid would be the next class.

I know the Paladin was also highly requested, and it actually is my second most-wanted class, but I thought the Druid had more support from the community. Especially since it would most likely be completely different from any other classes we have right now. (I know it's possible to also make the Paladin unique, but... I don't really have high hopes about that. It's most likely going to just be a hybrid of the Cleric and Guardian Fighter. We are talking about a game that has 2 Fighter classes that share many of the same moves, and have the exact same paragon class choices...)

I'm concerned, mainly because of how long it takes between modules that add classes. Is there any news at all about when to expect a Druid class?

you said it yourself.

The druid was never official and the only hints I've seen about druids have been players rumours. Where they say what they want.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I expect implementing it in a way that worked was a bit of a challenge. There are hints of both monks and druids in our companions, but clearly they aren't nearly ready for prime time yet.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    When Scourge Warlock was released it was all but a sure bet that it would either be Paladin, Warlock, or Druid as gear and other hints of those classes have been found in the game client (warlock hints ever since beta). A lot of people threw-in for the Druid to be the one released, but alas it was a the Warlock.

You (Original Poster) maybe misremembering things a touch - and when the newest class was coming there were a lot of shout in the hope it would be the Druid - and it was Warlock. These "player bets" maybe what you are remembering.

Classes take a really long time to develop: Warlock was being worked on since at least beta time, and it still needed work once it was released - that's 18 months or so. Once Warlock was out of the gate people started speculating Druid or Paladin, many figuring Druid to be next. Now we know that's not the case.

In the end, let's just say a LOT of people will be downright and outright *shocked* if the next class isn't a Druid.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    There was exactly one statement from a developer saying that druid might be the next class they started to work on.

It was nowhere near being confirmed nor was it the "OMG we all want a druid" situation. It was simply the only hint we ever got regarding future classes. Basically I am pretty sure the druid hype was less about being the class people wanted and more about being the class people expected due to a single line said by a developers 18 months ago.

Quite frankly most of the "desire" for the druid you think you saw was less "I want the druid" and more relaying "it's likely the druid would come next" as we suspected Rangers and Warlocks were in the pipeline from Beta.

Classes in D&D are not cut and dry 'this is the only thing I like.' Even people who would prefer a Druid are not necessarily unhappy to get a Paladin which is a highly requested class on it's own. Saying "this is the only thing the community wants" in regards to a class is just completely and utterly oversimplifying matters.

And this, my friends, is why the devs don't tell you things. I think I might have to save this thread for reference for years to come. "Why won't the devs tell us what they plan to do?" The answer is because people like the OP can't understand that plans change and will hold any such change against the company forever.

I played another game where a developer made a single sentence comment about a feature they wanted to add but never did after over ten years and people would still complain they were "promised" that feature. Plans change and so the developers keep their mouths shut until they are ready to hand it to the players and it's the fault of the players that things operate like this in every MMO.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I played another game where a developer made a single sentence comment about a feature they wanted to add but never did after over ten years and people would still complain they were "promised" that feature. Plans change and so the developers keep their mouths shut until they are ready to hand it to the players and it's the fault of the players that things operate like this in every MMO.

LOL Yes. THIS.

And you remember better than I am (I am misremembering myself) - it WAS the Warlock and Ranger that we were awaiting on, if only because the decompiling decompilers found those hints and it was never, ever any kind of official word at all. But yes indeed: nothing is ever certain, promised, or even whispered about until you see it officially announced on the news page. And even then I had to do a double-take that the Oathbond Paladin was actually a playable class and not the name of a new NPC we were to meet. LOL
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited January 2015
    Druid ? what druid im a Guardian fighter player im fine with another copy paste guardian fighter that has Devoted cleric spells too thx cryptic thats what i wanted for christmass
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Druid ? what druid im a Guardian fighter player im fine with another copy paste guardian fighter that has Devoted cleric spells too thx cryptic thats what i wanted for christmass

Just relax a bit. When the Scourge Warlock was announced, it was suppose to make the Control Wizard "obsolete". And look how that turned out. :)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I think his point was, GFs are largely not needed in endgame PVE runs and introducing a (possibly) superior version would just obliterate them. I know people have been claiming GFs are a must in epic Tuern runs but that is not true in good groups (especially from PVP guilds and some high end PVE guilds)

I think this depends on the PVE content they introduce.
  • Options
    zogarazogara Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Like I said in the post, I do actually want a paladin class. However, the one it sounds like they're trying to implement will just be a GF/DC hybrid. They could have at least gone with an offensive/support paladin instead of a defensive/support one, to avoid interfering with GFs. Or a Druid, which, again, is highly requested, and could be very unique...

I could have sworn that a dev mentioned that, before SWs came out, that the next class would be a "Warlock or a Druid". Since it was a Warlock, it was logical to believe that we'd get a Druid after the Warlock. However, they kinda came out of nowhere with the Paladin. (Not saying it shouldn't be added, mind you. I'm just thinking it's not the right way to impliment a Paladin, at least until GFs have a stronger role. Plus, in my opinion, Druids would fit the "Elements" theme of the new module better than Paladins.)
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Never liked Pally, Never liked Druid.
    Would be nice if they can bring in Bardddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There was exactly one statement from a developer saying that druid might be the next class they started to work on.

It was nowhere near being confirmed nor was it the "OMG we all want a druid" situation. It was simply the only hint we ever got regarding future classes. Basically I am pretty sure the druid hype was less about being the class people wanted and more about being the class people expected due to a single line said by a developers 18 months ago.

Quite frankly most of the "desire" for the druid you think you saw was less "I want the druid" and more relaying "it's likely the druid would come next" as we suspected Rangers and Warlocks were in the pipeline from Beta.

Classes in D&D are not cut and dry 'this is the only thing I like.' Even people who would prefer a Druid are not necessarily unhappy to get a Paladin which is a highly requested class on it's own. Saying "this is the only thing the community wants" in regards to a class is just completely and utterly oversimplifying matters.

And this, my friends, is why the devs don't tell you things. I think I might have to save this thread for reference for years to come. "Why won't the devs tell us what they plan to do?" The answer is because people like the OP can't understand that plans change and will hold any such change against the company forever.

Oh god yes. If I was a dev I'd never say a word to players. If you want to see an extreme example of this people can check out D3's boards. The dev's promised pvp on release and in a patch introduced a limited pvp with brawling. There are still people to this day yelling that the dev's lied to them and that they need to introduce "real" pvp.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    i post this just for fun dont bash me , here is a bard from another game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E606uHz8gss
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    we need the exact thing in nw
  • Options
    cikala78cikala78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In general, devs stating possible plans are fine, IF they come back and let the player base know when those plans change. The problem occurs when something other than what was stated is released without a word about plans having changed. Personally, if I'm told a feature is going to be implemented a certain way, and then later told plans changed and it's going to work differently, I might be disappointed or upset but at least it's acceptable. When the feature is released and it doesn't work the way it was stated it would without any prior notice, then I feel betrayed.

Not saying that this exactly applies to the new race situation, as I've not followed the game or played enough to know either way.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Just want to comment on the dismay some have regarding the Paladin being released before the Druid:

I'm sure Druids are still in the works. People keep saying things like they went back on their words and released the paladin instead. However, when Rangers were announced, Lead Producer Andy Velasquez said:
    "I can imagine the Druid will probably be, if not the next one that we start next, it will probably be soon, because just about everyone when they say, 'What about new classes, like the Ranger or Druid?' Those are the two they always talk about."
    (link)

We also know from other comments after that article, that they already had another class in the works while they were working on the Ranger. At that time, from his quote there, we all assumed that was the Druid. So, now that we got the Paladin officially announced, we can safely assume the Paladin was the class already in the works. With that in mind, the above quote would suggest that they are already working on the Druid or still plan to work on it as a future class.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Would like to see bard/monk/druid next. Maybe all 3 in the same time :)
  • Options
    g0dfr3yg0dfr3y Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i post this just for fun dont bash me , here is a bard from another game

I like how she uses her lyre's bow as a wand. In 5th ed. terms, this would be... a lore bard multiclassed with some sorceror levels for the cantrips to use as At-Wills, maybe?

I am more familiar with 2nd ed. bards that were basically spellcasters with bow and arrows, and didn't use their instruments in combat much. I guess in 5th ed. terms, that would be a valor bard, and it would play... like the Hunter Ranger, but no melee stance?
  • Options
    powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was quite surprised when they announced the paladin. I was absolutely certain that the druid would be the next class.

I am sure I will enjoy playing a paladin like I have with each of the other seven classes and I look forward to the druid in Mod 8 and bard in Mod 10.
  • Options
    powerpuffponypowerpuffpony Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    Just want to comment on the dismay some have regarding the Paladin being released before the Druid:

I'm sure Druids are still in the works. People keep saying things like they went back on their words and released the paladin instead. However, when Rangers were announced, Lead Producer Andy Velasquez said:
    (link)

We also know from other comments after that article, that they already had another class in the works while they were working on the Ranger. At that time, from his quote there, we all assumed that was the Druid. So, now that we got the Paladin officially announced, we can safely assume the Paladin was the class already in the works. With that in mind, the above quote would suggest that they are already working on the Druid or still plan to work on it as a future class.

I think the other class they mention in the 2013 article which was over half way done at that time was the Warlock which came out after the Ranger.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is only one reason we don't have bards yet. The Devs clearly watch this guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yz6l0As_lDo
  • Options
    iaorekiaorek Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd really like a Sorcerer, CW is nice but a plain old Sorcerer with the old 3.5 spell compendium would float my boat quite nicely. I've never played 4.0 or 5.0 so I've no idea how they do Sorcerers, but I'd hope it's correctly.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm still kind of baffled by the Swordmage being there, I'm pretty sure it's not a core class and can't really imagine it working well with Neverwinter's powers system.
  • Options
    zogarazogara Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think the other class they mention in the 2013 article which was over half way done at that time was the Warlock which came out after the Ranger.

Yep. The Warlock came out after the Ranger. The only other class they've hinted at since those two has been the Druid. They've mentioned nothing about a Paladin, and yet, completely out of the blue, the next class is a Paladin.

I mean, they shouldn't have hinted at the Druid if it was no where near done yet, and instead hinted at the Paladin...

@iaorek: If the Sorcerer does get added eventually, it wont work anything like 3.5. The Spellplague makes sure of that, since it changed how magic works in general.
  • Options
    damko00damko00 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If they will add the bard class then it must have a power that will play the exact music from that Aion bard video, or better- Barbie girl!
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    damko00 wrote: »
    If they will add the bard class then it must have a power that will play the exact music from that Aion bard video, or better- Barbie girl!

Where can I buy some spikes to drive thru my eardrums?
  • Options
    lordcessnalordcessna Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was very disappointed with learning that the paladin was the next new class. Clearly we needed another Leader, as we only have one.

Why have 3 defender roles? Seriously, can the devs not count. Furthermore, why even bring a GWF to a dungeon when you can bring a paladin. Why even bring a GF, when you can bring a paladin? Why even bring a cleric, when you can bring a paladin.

The devs have access to stats, they know GF is the least popular class, yet this is what is coming next. It would not be so bad if the classes did not take SOOOOOOOOOO long to make, but what are we getting? 2 classes per year?

The druid, everyone likes druids! Druids are the true hybrid, jack of all trades, master of none class.

What a freaking shame.
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lordcessna wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with learning that the paladin was the next new class. Clearly we needed another Leader, as we only have one.

We only have one Defender too. GWF is DPS.
    Why have 3 defender roles? Seriously, can the devs not count. Furthermore, why even bring a GWF to a dungeon when you can bring a paladin. Why even bring a GF, when you can bring a paladin? Why even bring a cleric, when you can bring a paladin.

Given that GWF is not a defender and can't queue into that slot for dungeons, it would seem the one not counting correctly is you.

Further, we know almost nothing about the Paladin so far, so the chicken littling here is premature at best and wrong at worst.
    The devs have access to stats, they know GF is the least popular class, yet this is what is coming next. It would not be so bad if the classes did not take SOOOOOOOOOO long to make, but what are we getting? 2 classes per year?

Less actually. This will be the third new class since release and by the time it comes out we'll be near two years.
    The druid, everyone likes druids! Druids are the true hybrid, jack of all trades, master of none class.

I hate druids. Nobody I know likes druids. I've never seen anyone even play one in a group. Look, I have anecdotal evidence too!. And uh, no, Bards are the hybrid jack of all trades class. Druids have typically been just broken BS.
    What a freaking shame.

There's a shame here, but it's not the Paladin class. ;)
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lordcessna wrote: »

That depends on tuning. Hopefully the devs can tune the OP's so they will not be the obvious choice to bring.

I would assue a GF would do better than an OP for taking damage, holding aggro and dps buffing.
    I would assume a DC would do better than an OP for debuffing and heals and pure dps.

As a hybrid the OP should not be best at anything but OK at more things.
  • Options
    lordcessnalordcessna Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Tongue removed from cheek.

I want to turn into a bear I swaer! Bored of that, a black cat for some striker action. Bored of that, back into a humanoid for some healing action.

8 of 10 females prefer to party with druids, that's if any truly exists on the internets. *snicker*
This discussion has been closed.