What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Battle with Tiamat - Moving Forward

Comments

• Options
    thunderbeansthunderbeans Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Now... lets look at what Tiamat has done to the rest of the game. Artifact belts are dirt cheap at auction. Our guild has members GIVING them away because they dont want them. The market is flooded with them. Tier 1 & 2 gear is so cheap, and so available, there is no need for anyone to run dungeons to get it anymore. They can just buy it. But why buy it, when the cookie cutter Draconic gear is so easy to get? And almost as cheap? Slowly but surely... everyone is ending up with the same gear. Variation is going away. It if werent for transmuting, you would see hundreds of players running around in the same gear... looking the same... how boring.

This is how it feels to me too, I feel like I am just being pushed towards endless farming to refine enchants. I don't get the excitement from the loot any more either because its so easy to get or that I just buy it on the AH. I adore good loot and its sad to see the excitement over it be diminished.
  • Options
    hhmaniak1hhmaniak1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The heads react too slow to killing. Just finished a run, when we downed Tiamat and there were 2 sec left and the last head didnt have the time to despawn so another round started and everyone was like: SRSLY
  • Options
    krieg69krieg69 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well I'm at the point where I am 2 wins and 47 losses vs Tiamat. Both wins came in my first 3 battles. Needless to say my confidence in this being viable or worth my time is thoroughly destroyed. I've not even seen a third head taken down during the course of my last 25 battles. I appreciate setting the bar high in a game such as this but this is patently ridiculous. I guess I'll just get my gear in the auction house like everyone else haha.
  • Options
    thunderbeansthunderbeans Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hhmaniak1 wrote: »
    The heads react too slow to killing. Just finished a run, when we downed Tiamat and there were 2 sec left and the last head didnt have the time to despawn so another round started and everyone was like: SRSLY

Had this happen to me a few times, its extremely frustrating to fail due to animations not finishing. Kinda means there cant be any close call wins (which are quite exciting actually lol)
  • Options
    ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not commented on this till now but... whilst I do agree too many 10k GS will make it next to impossible, the biggest issue is those who don't even try, those who just afk.... 10k is a lot more helpful than 0k (a 20k toon sitting it out at the fire is contributing 0!)
  • Options
    baalhashmalbaalhashmal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In any case, moving forward with Tiamat -- there is no moving forward. It's done.

But I will say that Cryptic/Perfect world should, first and foremost, ensure that the next module is well thought out and thoroughly tested for bugs and issues BEFORE it is released. Take all the time needed to accomplish this.

Furthermore, like some of the previous modules, ensure that any particular dungeon or skirmish can only be done if certain requirements are met (gear score, completing tasks, etc).

Why Temple of Tiamat didn't have this, I do not know why but if you can shed light on why that is, that would be great.

Cleric: Marquis Elmdore - Current Main <3
    Wizard: Iamblichus
    Fighter: Anna the Titan
    Barbarian: Anann Valkyrja
    Ranger: Minerva Cory'phaia
    Warlock: Suri Coralyne Reid

Guild: She Looked Level 18.
    Alliance: Imperium
  • Options
    erynloreerynlore Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In any case, moving forward with Tiamat -- there is no moving forward. It's done.

But I will say that Cryptic/Perfect world should, first and foremost, ensure that the next module is well thought out and thoroughly tested for bugs and issues BEFORE it is released. Take all the time needed to accomplish this.

Furthermore, like some of the previous modules, ensure that any particular dungeon or skirmish can only be done if certain requirements are met (gear score, completing tasks, etc).

Why Temple of Tiamat didn't have this, I do not know why but if you can shed light on why that is, that would be great.

I concur with the above and hope that the said 'devs' of Neverwinter/Cryptic heed and try to improve their track record. We have been given content with no testing, all this does is create problems and causes dissatisfaction for the current players. I, for one, am tired of trying to play a broken game, where it is all about money not skill.
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Really cant say how disappointed I am both in Cryptic for letting this whole mess go on so long (holidays yada blah) as well as the crop of griefers that have sprung up trying to ruin any match they get into simply because they cant pass up trolling players 24 at a time. I have given up on Tiamat as it doesn't matter how good your team is, if you got a griefer you will lose due to the bugs. No professional developer would ever let this sort of thing happen for so long with their premier content. It's inexcusable and has broken the faith of many who were already strained by previous negative experiences in the game.

And while I'm here, for the love of Torm, bring us content that isn't just made for fresh 60s unless that's all you want to see playing. Us long time players still point to CN is the gold standard. A dungeon so tough many had to resort to expoits to beat it, but man the gear you could get would hands down put you on top and if you got extras they sold for so much entire parties could split the proceeds and come away happy. There was no endless farming to actually get the stats up to something useful. This wasn't farm/pay gated, it was skill gated and its why we fell in love with Neverwinter. We love a challenge, not a grind. Every single dungeon since then has been a letdown for one reason or another. They were challenging sure, but the rewards were very rarely worth the time invested and even more rarely something that could be split amongst the party for profit.

Can Cryptic not recapture that magic? Are the folks behind the original iconic dungeons gone? My interest is on life support. You are going to lose not just this patient but so many of your faithful with even one more mis-step. Please Cryptic, stand up to the suits and their short sighted and misguided plans. You know what we want and we have been clear about what ruins our fun. You CAN do this. And we CAN help.

signed,

A Concerned Resident of Neverwinter
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    akromatik wrote: »
    Last week we posted an update to a few issues players were experiencing with the Tiamat fight. While we did make some improvements to the fight, turning it into a queued instance did not have the desired effects we wanted it to and the current method of entry will remain as it is.

After close examination and many playtests, we’ve found that a queue feature (similar to the one we initially outlined) could jeopardize a few of the positive aspects of the battle with Tiamat

Every other MMO allows you to take members of your choice to a raid.

Do you think this pug method is better than the method in other MMOs, or worse?

Hint: People like to play with their friends, communicate, and plan/execute an actual strategy. That is not happening in zerg pugs to date.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    baalhashmalbaalhashmal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Every other MMO allows you to take members of your choice to a raid.

Do you think this pug method is better than the method in other MMOs, or worse?

Hint: People like to play with their friends, communicate, and plan/execute an actual strategy. That is not happening in zerg pugs to date.

I can only speculate that it was possibly done to encourage more player interaction amongst the community. Again, pure speculation.

But it's definitely worse -- to the googol power.

Forced against our will to cooperate with randos isn't my cup of tea. The reason I joined a guild was to team up with people who had similar level of competency, skill and so forth. I mean, I attempted to help players out by sending them private messages during the Tiamat encounter or directing them to the forums to read the strategy thread -- what a wasted effort.

Cleric: Marquis Elmdore - Current Main <3
    Wizard: Iamblichus
    Fighter: Anna the Titan
    Barbarian: Anann Valkyrja
    Ranger: Minerva Cory'phaia
    Warlock: Suri Coralyne Reid

Guild: She Looked Level 18.
    Alliance: Imperium
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My speculative theory is,

1. Yes, forced cooperation of the entire community
    2. 10k GS min, means this raid must be relatively easy with an organized group. So its an attempt to prevent massive successful farming of it. (sort of a timegate in a way)
    3. Another attempt to condition the playerbase into playing the "encounter" type group play

Otherwise why wouldnt you allow premade groups? I cant figure a reason other than those 3.

Also the easiest way to debunk the 10k GS is too low idea, was have the devs/mods/some players. and make a video of them completing it. Done, wipe hands clean, no arguments could be made that 10k gs is too low. Im not sure why it wasnt published after the 20+page threads in the general discussion forum cropped up.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hint: People like to play with their friends, communicate, and plan/execute an actual strategy.

For this fight, ideally speaking, do you think that is there an alternative strategy which, played by a well-coordinated group of 25 friends on RaidCall, would bring a faster result than the Zerg? The fight is divided into tons of sequences, trimming the heads down to 10% very fast only makes you wait longer doing nothing until the next sequence of Defend the clerics starts.

Still your point is very valid of course, there is no reason why NWO does not offer what the others MMOs do offer. Fighting a big boss as a guild raid is an important part of guilds life in any game. See all the buzz in the games forums and on the video platforms, whenever Blizzard comes up with a new series of bosses in WoW, and the fierce competition between top guilds to kill them.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    nazghul22 wrote: »
    For this fight, ideally speaking, do you think that is there an alternative strategy which, played by a well-coordinated group of 25 friends on RaidCall, would bring a faster result than the Zerg? The fight is divided into tons of sequences, trimming the heads down to 10% very fast only makes you wait longer doing nothing until the next sequence of Defend the clerics starts.

A stated design goal was to require inter-party coordination. They could tweak Tiamat to discourage zerging in order to get back to that design goal. The fact that zerging is the optimal strategy is a secondary fail.

Having said that, I believe a coordinated group of 25 would take Tiamat down faster by ensuring a good mix of debuff and DPS on each head, or perhaps in two groups working from outside to inside. The travel time between heads is fairly substantial in the 2:00 timeframe that they are up (especially for classes that cannot jump platforms).

The DC phase would also be much faster if the group would be on the same page about things like Ice Storm. Flinging the bad guys away from DPS-dealing team mates just lengthens that phase.

Having said that, Tiamat is trivial for a decent party. I would hope along with the ability to queue a 25-man team, that they would make coordination a desirable strategy (reduce viability of zerging) and increase the overall difficulty. Presumably they will feel the need to still be inclusive of most of the server population, so some form of level scaling like with dragon HE's would probably be needed.

• Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nazghul22 wrote: »

A decent 25 ppl premade does not have to trim the heads to 10%, they will kill Tiamat in one round.

5 ppl to mid with GF, DC CW, SW and another high dps class to the red dragon.

10 ppl with similar, but less demanding setup to green and blue, switching to black and white after they killed them.

A good group of 5ppl can kill a head in one phase.

One cleric and one head phase. You would be done in ~5 min. The difficulty of this 'raid' is not the mechanics or the personal contribution, but the random luck, to get enough decent players in your instance to kill the heads and defend the clerics.

Concidering the toxic atmosphere created between high GS players and low GS players, I would really like to know the so called benefits of the PuG system.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well Tiamat has done what no other module has managed - completely killed my interest in playing the game. Guess I'll be taking a break until Mod 6 comes out, or some serious fixes are applied to the Mod 5 content.

PS - this is not an 'I Quit' post. I'll still be logging on but only for Invoke and such. Sad, but at the moment my limited play time is better spent on something else.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well Tiamat has done what no other module has managed - completely killed my interest in playing the game. Guess I'll be taking a break until Mod 6 comes out, or some serious fixes are applied to the Mod 5 content.

I have been running old T1's and T2's with other friends that are sick of Tiamat, just to have something to do where we're actually in a team and having fun. I guess in a sense Tiamat has made the game more alt-friendly, because I'm playing my alts that are geared more inline with that content :-)

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ok Let's clear this up there is "NO" Gear Score requirement to enter Tiamat there is a Level Requirement to get well of the dragons open after that it is fair game as long as your are L60 you can enter through the door.

Here's where you're wrong. I took this screenshot just now from a leadership alt with a 6kgs after taking all the quests from knox.
    BIgqc3j.jpg
    If there is a gs req to get into WoD there is a gs req for tiamat as you can't get into tiamat without getting into WoD.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Are you sure about that? Maybe it did change. But my DC who has only completed the first 2 parts of the ToD campaign (neverdeath graveyard, and ebon downs) can enter WoD. And this was prior to that change.

what are threads like this talking about then too?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?813031-Temple-of-Tiamat-GS-poll

Anyways just pretend I didnt say 10kgs and say I said, from all reports, if you can zerg it, its going to be easy enough for an organized group to put on farm mode.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    As soon as you're level 60 and have the GS requirement, you can get the quest to unlock WoD zone regardless of ToD campaign progress. Two of my characters are doing WoD dailies and haven't even started any ToD tasks, or even the intro dailies to ToD. The only requirement to get into WoD Zone itself is Level 60, 10k GS, and talking to Sergeant Knox when the prior two are met. If you want to actually progress the ToD Campaign however, you'll need to at least unlock the ToD campaign and do the first two tasks.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    As soon as you're level 60 and have the GS requirement, you can get the quest to unlock WoD zone regardless of ToD campaign progress. Two of my characters are doing WoD dailies and haven't even started any ToD tasks, or even the intro dailies to ToD. The only requirement to get into WoD Zone itself is Level 60, 10k GS, and talking to Sergeant Knox when the prior two are met. If you want to actually progress the ToD Campaign however, you'll need to at least unlock the ToD campaign and do the first two tasks.

Yah thats what I thought and have experienced. What rev is saying about the ToD campaign confused me.
    And you unlock the Well of the Dragons after completing the last task in the ToD Campaign which they so

Specifically that part rev. Also what I said still applies just forget the 10kgs part.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    covenant92covenant92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The 10K GS requirement comes from unlocking Well of Dragons: To unlock the area on the map, you have to speak with Harper Boward in Protector's Enclave. She will unlock it only after your character has 10K GS. This also grants The Well of Dragons Quest to speak with Elminster for the first time.

Also a fresh lvl 60 will only have 10K if they have a majority of Epic equipment equipped; a truly fresh 60 will have a much lower GS as they only have Questing Greens/some Blue equips.

Edit: And a win on Tiamat! Man I almost forgot what it felt like to actually have an instance that beat her perfectly. Got a Helm of the High General for it on my GF too.
  • Options
    pmabrahampmabraham Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ask yourself, why eLoL and eSoT have the GS requirements they do given there is no clock running for completion of any section? Then given the clock for Tiamat as a whole plus the clock sections for the head phase(s), why does a "time" raid have such a low GS requirement compared to epic LoL, epic SoT or even Kessels?
  • Options
    asmose01asmose01 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So everyone has a opinion on this encounter and it is an encounter not a proper dungeon like kessel's or VT. This is mine, the execution of this inaddition to neverwinter was and is a great idea introducing a 25 man function.

Removing the ability to move maps was a smart move on the devs part. Not allowing for premade groups or making it so while in there the zone chat is isolated to the map instance your in is a failure on there part because let's face it, its not a real 25 man when you can do it with out being in a group. Let's not forget the bugging when you cross the line early, but that's about as far as failing goes on there part.

Because its an encounter we will never see a proper GS requirement so let's just forget that hot topic and move on all together shall we!

Where we as the player base fail is the fallowing:
    A) improperly geared and enchanted IE no soulforge or weapon enchant is the big one as well as having very pants and shirt.
    B) not all people participating in the encounter and just sitting by the fire.
    C) not dispersing evenly to defend clerics or my personal pet peeve waiting for a resurrection at line when the campfire is a few paces away.
    D) not reading up on the encounter.

So yeah its easy to blame the devs or people with 10k GS but in the end its up to all of us and believe me I'm really frustrated because I'm not getting the profession or enjoyment out of running tiamat that I would like as I am sure others are!

That's my rant cheers
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The 10k GS crowd are just scapegoats, by and large, for failed Tiamat runs.

Much more to blame are people who don't know what they are doing, and my biggest pet peeve, the HIGH GS crowd who give up early even when it is still winnable.

The last failed Tiamat raid I was in, when it came time for the first head phase, that went okay but not great, 10 people immediately left the raid and another 4 AFK'ed by the campfire. I inspected one of the leavers on his way out, and it was not a 10k GS scrub, but a 20k CW.

(Oh, and a particularly classy move on his part was when he said "you suck n00bs" on his way out.)

People seem to want "easy win" or nothing at all. Why do people not want to fight anymore for a last-minute win?
  • Options
    joocycuzzzzzzjoocycuzzzzzz Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    (Oh, and a particularly classy move on his part was when he said "you suck n00bs" on his way out.)

That's hilarious and typical for people of that GS honestly.

Both of these kind of people are the problem: the 10K's and the arrogant 20K's.

- The 10k's skip campaigns and jump directly to fight a dragon queen with blue and even green gear sometimes... it's hindering everyone

- the 20k's are USED to everything burning/melting in a matter of seconds, they don't have the sense of teamwork, oh, a lack of DPS? screw this, the run will take 10 seconds more, I'm out.
    Beta player

One of the many Control Wizards that misses Shard Of The Endless Avalanche. RIP Shard (Beta-Mod3)