test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cleric changes have been posted in the Feedback section

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Preview has an update patch: 1996MB for me - downloading now. Hopefully this is it.

UPDATE: Patch completed but server is offline, they are likely pushing the new build as I write this.
    //excited-to-give-it-a-ago
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeh, I still cant get in. Oh well.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • raist724raist724 Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2014
    On paper it really does not mean much. Seems interesting. Only thing troublesome is the % of weapon damage for some abilities. That must be a typo or being explained wrong. Being capped by the base item seems wrong.
    Wake | Halfling | DC
    Raist Torilrocker | Dwarf | DCWaterdeep Dungeon & Salvage LLC
    http://www.twitch.tv/raist718/profile
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    raist724 wrote: »
    On paper it really does not mean much. Seems interesting. Only thing troublesome is the % of weapon damage for some abilities. That must be a typo or being explained wrong. Being capped by the base item seems wrong.

That's the new design policy, of course it sucks - like the "must be good at one thing only" - and designers will realize it but not before being done with the DC. That makes our stats irrelevant. Why would i spend months upgrading enchantments when all I need is a better main hand? :D
  • raist724raist724 Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    That's the new design policy, of course it sucks - like the "must be good at one thing only" - and designers will realize it but not before being done with the DC. That makes our stats irrelevant. Why would i spend months upgrading enchantments when all I need is a better main hand? :D

That makes no sense, it can not be right. As a min/max number cruncher that takes a huge chunk of gameplay out of it for me personally. Strange and bizarre. Having a unique DC was what made some of the players special.
    Wake | Halfling | DC
    Raist Torilrocker | Dwarf | DCWaterdeep Dungeon & Salvage LLC
    http://www.twitch.tv/raist718/profile
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Pushes all clerics to get their artifact weapon, nuff said.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All Im saying right now is im now starting to regret spending 5 mill AD during the double exp week-end to get my artifacts to legendary.

2 of the most fun powers for as a DC that I enjoy using are now going to be a complete pile of trash.
    edited October 2014
    So far in solo play for me:

Encounters - Sun Burst is out. Astral Shield, Divine Glow and (Break The Spirit/Forgemasters Flame/Prophecy Of Doom) are in.

At wills - Sacred Flame is out. Brand Of The Sun and Astral Seal are in.

Class Powers - Healers lore is out. Holy Fervor and Foresight are in. (I need Hallowed ground available as soon as possible...even though we lost Moontouched)

Feats - Righteous path. There are some things in here that help the whole group and that's what I am about as a support player. You also get to do more damage yourself when in solo play.

I really miss the old non-divine Sun Burst for healing and some damage. Too bad about that.

The whole "building stacks" thang is really hard to get used to and im worried it will interfere when I am in a harder dungeon. We will see how that plays out.

There is not alot of healing in what I have specced, but thats because its not really needed much anymore when your running with those 17k gear scored groups. SO, I am going damage and buff/debuff build now with this with Healing as secondary which Divine Glow provides. In fact Divine Glow is a must have now.

By no means will this be my end build, but thats what I rolling with for now.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Right now on preview DCs are gods among mortals. They're ****ing OP. Even without the astral shield bug. Divinity is being handed out in massive amounts on a silver plate, there were dps buffs all over the place, buffs are stronger, mitigation too, and one single healing spell can bring someone from the brink of death to full HP in one click with 0 targeting and/or playing skill. Make it crit and you can instantly heal one of the 50k HPs pvp gods in a dungeon. If you complain about the DC you haven't played it on preview yet or don't get the nature of the changes.
  • glowingemberglowingember Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i can live with the change to sunburst because it was combined with the change to divine glow. divine glow will now be ,my go to power rather than sunburst.

BUT - if the change was intended to make it useful in pvp than i am very dubious unless it ignores tenacity. I dont like moving ppl just a few pixels. thats no fun. Now if power increased the distance someone was thrown, that would be interesting.

as it it, its merely a decent solo power. I loved flinging mobs away to pick someone up off the ground, but its not worth slotting sunburst all the time for that reason.

It was the perfect utility power. now it is something else with no controllable fling, so yeah, i will adapt. sigh.

EDIT: with the apparent removal of spirit link, and the change to foresight making everything proc it,the new divine glow much better fits the design of "healer + buffer". It's probably the spell now that exaltation should have been in the beginning.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    godhric wrote: »
    What extra mode? You mean empowered? i think that perform more like a buff stack instead of another separate mode. There is still only 2 mode, normal and divine IMO.

Divinity builds very quickly now, and a Divine Encounter has no cool down, so you can spam 3 Divine Encounters very quickly, then your normal one to get the Empowered effect from the three stacks. Whether we can do that when a CW freezes us to immobilised death remains to be seen.

My Virtuous/Righteous dps DO could get up to 30k Crits with fully Feated Daunting Light, my AC Faithful/Righteous AC Healer about 12k (she has less Critical Strike and ArPen as well, though). On the test shard she was just doing 27k crits against the training dummies with Empowered Daunting Light with NO Paragon Feats slotted at all.

But that does sound like we'll be more like one-skill spammers, now, like the Broken Roar GWFs a few months back. No more fun from dodging GWFs and casting Exaltation, blue Astral Shield and Sunburst and getting Divinity from Encounters coming off cool down.

I only tried it out about for 20 mins and chatted with a DO in Trade of Blades, but neither of us are sure we like all the changes. My DCs were just getting good in PvP. But now I'll have to start learning all over again, and I won't be paying for loads of re-specs. I'll play on the test server until I get it right.

But Sunburst ALWAYS doing Knockback? NO THANKS! Really, Devs, that is going to be SO annoying. There is nothing more irritating than a PvE Knockback coming at the wrong moment and unexpectedly. Especially when the target of ground-based powers gets blown out of the way and into safety by someone else.

What they needed to do was make some decent Heroic Feats to replace the rubbish ones, increase damage and healing of all Powers, make sure Crit and ArPen applied to everything as appropriate, make sure Chains of Blazing Light always procced, gave us some decent CC and CC Resistance Powers, and... I think that is it.

I am really not sure why they did such a massive and radical overhaul as this. They did improve Exaltation for the AC, but I'll really have to spend a few weeks on the test shard playing about with this, as all my DC builds have been put through a liquidiser. I have no idea yet what builds i will want.

;)
  • godhricgodhric Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 437 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    But Sunburst ALWAYS doing Knockback? NO THANKS! Really, Devs, that is going to be SO annoying. There is nothing more irritating than a PvE Knockback coming at the wrong moment and unexpectedly. Especially when the target of ground-based powers gets blown out of the way and into safety by someone else.

According to my testing @ ptr : No, the divine sunburst does NOT knock back now. It is changed to a stacking DoT instead. The knockback version is switched to the normal version instead.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    godhric wrote: »
    According to my testing @ ptr : No, the divine sunburst does NOT knock back now. It is changed to a stacking DoT instead. The knockback version is switched to the normal version instead.
    So basically the same options for knockback as now, just reversed? Excellent.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited October 2014
    So basically the same options for knockback as now, just reversed? Excellent.

Not only that... the Divine Version also lost its healing capability (it really just stack DoTs now). Only the normal version does healing @ current ptr
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    we need to see the changes before judging (by then it might be too late...)
    seems like astrql shield + sun burst wont have to be the main pve encounters.
    divine glow sound nice, i still didnt understand what will be the basic PVE combo
    what about class features and daily?
    what about aromor sets bonus?

i hope will get bit more control, cause i can hardly move in pvp and more heal / damage wont help alot
  • fusionawesomefusionawesome Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    plavia wrote: »
    we need to see the changes before judging

It's already on preview
    edited October 2014
    Hallowed Ground (HG) has been effectively nerfed. No regen since Moontouched is gone, and you cant build Action Points while HG is in effect. HG is one of the most important things for me in dungeons because of its large area of effect.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
    edited October 2014
    Hallowed Ground (HG) has been effectively nerfed. No regen since Moontouched is gone, and you cant build Action Points while HG is in effect. HG is one of the most important things for me in dungeons because of its large area of effect.

The devs are of the opinion that dailies should not be as spammable towards a buff which can have great uptime like HG. The same happens to GF's Supremacy of Steel and our Divine Armor daily...
    edited October 2014
    Until they find a way to truly separate pvp and pve, things will just get worse, as they have.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • grabmooregrabmoore Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The DC artifact active still works during HG. That means with a legendary one you would still be able to keep the uptime high.
    @grabmoore

Heroes of Darkness

Retired since 02/15
    My opinions are my own. Please do not judge my friends nor guild for my statements.
  • ipuaiwahaipuaiwaha Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It seems like they moved a lot of the Cleric's healing from the base abilities to the feats. In particular, Shield of the Divine gives you heals for free, Cleansing Fire gives all your damaging powers a chance to heal, and Test of Faith gives you free heals when you take damage. This should give us some more flexibility on which powers to pick, but also makes our role less flexible.

The Divine/Empowered gap seems a bit clunky to me. It seems to me like they want us to spam the Divine version so we can charge up an empowered ability, but I don't see that as better than the existing system.
    edited October 2014
    the DPS Righteous looks intersting.
    plain damage increase and some deadly feats

Avatar of the Divine with 40% cool time for 25 sec is alot
    Fire of the Gods: its looks like easy 10k damage on every crit hit, its damage over time for 15 sec as well. thats alot in pvp.
    Bear Your Sins: if its works with fire of the gods its good pve feat as well

any one tested it?
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the DPS Righteous looks intersting.
    plain damage increase and some deadly feats

Avatar of the Divine with 40% cool time for 25 sec is alot
    Fire of the Gods: its looks like easy 10k damage on every crit hit, its damage over time for 15 sec as well. thats alot in pvp.
    Bear Your Sins: if its works with fire of the gods its good pve feat as well

any one tested it?

In PvE everything melts like plastic in hell. I don't know about PvP though. Warlocks will have a run for their money DPS-wise, that's for sure.
  • willfootwillfoot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I will admit, I was skeptical when I saw the changes. I, too, raised my eyebrows when I discovered that they were nulling out the two most popular heals in the game. But then I loaded up the test server and cloned my DC from Dragon and tried it out. I then came here, read 6 pages of complaints, and I currently smile at the general speculation. Mostly, though it sincere, it's not quite completely accurate.

Healing with DCs now will be a more involved and immersing process. Let's face it, Clerics; we've had it kind of easy when it comes to heals. All we had to worry about were our pips and our cooldowns. Now we're going to have to work for it, and it's going to be a wonderful experience once you master the rotations and encounter combos.

Lastly, the rest of the game needs to prepare for the PVP DCs after this patch. They're about to rule GG and the Arenas all over again, taking us back to the open beta days.
  • baalhashmalbaalhashmal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Healing is no concern currently when you still have SW's that are out-healing DC's. DC's still have to worry about pips as it plays an important role in maximizing your regular encounters via stacks.

And PVP? Really? Clerics are still going to get dominated unless you have high level or legendary artifacts, enchants, etc. or the atypical PVP tanky build that's been giving Clerics some level of value in PVP.

Also...

No more Moontouched! :-(

I can live with that, considering the feats seem much better.

But all in all, the new mechanic is absolute trash. And judging by votes, it seems like most would agree.

Cleric: Marquis Elmdore - Current Main <3
    Wizard: Iamblichus
    Fighter: Anna the Titan
    Barbarian: Anann Valkyrja
    Ranger: Minerva Cory'phaia
    Warlock: Suri Coralyne Reid

Guild: She Looked Level 18.
    Alliance: Imperium
  • willfootwillfoot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Eh, they're bashing on it because they don't understand it yet. I've only begun to scratch the surface of the build, and I can see already that although the transition may not be the easiest between old and new, I feel that the changes were a much needed shot in the arm for the class. I've been playing a single DC since launch, and aside from a month to grind out a CW to 14k+ and a couple of test toons for try out the other classes, I've played almost exclusively this one little cleric.

What I'm getting at is that I love this class. I've loved its versatility, and I've loved the many very valid builds that the community have released for this class since launch (and I've probably tried them all at one point in time during the life of Mr DPS/Debuff/HoT/DH/Buff/Tank Cleric), and I'm definitely looking forward to all the future builds that are to come.

It's true. Healing is no concern right now in the current PvE content. Warlocks are out-healing Clerics right now. I believe I know why, but it's only speculation. I think the future dungeons in future modules are about to get really flippin' difficult, and there will be enemies as lowly as trash mobs that will be able to almost one-hit even the most well geared character. I think Cryptic is not-so-subtly getting the classes ready for some really gnarly stuff, and this seemingly strange revision to the class is a bit of foresight on their part.

....course that's theory.
    edited October 2014
    willfoot wrote: »
    Eh, they're bashing on it because they don't understand it yet...

well, its looks strange
    they took all the good feats and changed them (healing step, moontouch...)
    they took all the good powers and changed them as well (astral shield, sun blast, exaltation ...)

its not clear if will have some kind of control resist in PVP, but we seems to get lot of damage and damage buffs.
    i didnt play it yet, but looks like the we can deal lots of encountrs and gameplay wont be easy

what do you think will be the best chain in pvp?
    you can land 3 divine break the spirit + empower + FF + chains + another break the spirit porbably
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    what do you think will be the best chain in pvp?
    you can land 3 divine break the spirit + empower + FF + chains + another break the spirit porbably

Well I can say this is not right. My experiences in pvp on the preview is that you don't start with divine power usually.
    The time it takes to build 3 pips of divine power is greater than the time it takes for a control wizard to murder you.

I did try full glass cannon dps spec in pvp, using divine glow and daunting light. This failed for 2 reasons. First, you have to build up divine power in order to maximize the effect, and second, you have to land the aoe. Turns out that against decent players landing the big nukes was too slow, and they dodged away. In PvE my glass cannon roxed, but she died too fast in pvp.

I did slot in FF and break the spirit, but their dps was just too low to matter. The fire dot was the real damager, and sadly against the killers on the preview server, the debufs from break the spirit seemed to have no affect. The stuns bought some time, but not enough. You dodge to live, or you die in a pool of burning goo.

Next I tried a tank spec with foresight and all defense/deflect/hp enchants and feats, except also enough dps paragon feats to get to the fire DOT and avatar. This worked much better since I could survive long enough to build up some diving power, however against well geared characters I had a hard time getting their hitpoints down fast enough. Not uncommon was me getting the fire dot on them, then me dying, and then them dieing as the dot continued to cook away.

I did not try a full healing spec, but I did try using healing in pvp, and as before , this was useless. Even though you can in some situations cast healing word 3 times instantly in a row and empowered, the overall healing was terrible and slow. I don't know yet, but I doubt healing, even fully feated, will make any difference in pvp.

So I didn't find the ultimate pvp strategy, but its in there someplace amongst the complexities..I hope.
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    izatar wrote: »
    Well I can say this is not right. My experiences in pvp on the preview is that you don't start with divine power usually.
    The time it takes to build 3 pips of divine power is greater than the time it takes for a control wizard to murder you.

I did try full glass cannon dps spec in pvp, using divine glow and daunting light. This failed for 2 reasons. First, you have to build up divine power in order to maximize the effect, and second, you have to land the aoe. Turns out that against decent players landing the big nukes was too slow, and they dodged away. In PvE my glass cannon roxed, but she died too fast in pvp.

I did slot in FF and break the spirit, but their dps was just too low to matter. The fire dot was the real damager, and sadly against the killers on the preview server, the debufs from break the spirit seemed to have no affect. The stuns bought some time, but not enough. You dodge to live, or you die in a pool of burning goo.

Next I tried a tank spec with foresight and all defense/deflect/hp enchants and feats, except also enough dps paragon feats to get to the fire DOT and avatar. This worked much better since I could survive long enough to build up some diving power, however against well geared characters I had a hard time getting their hitpoints down fast enough. Not uncommon was me getting the fire dot on them, then me dying, and then them dieing as the dot continued to cook away.

I did not try a full healing spec, but I did try using healing in pvp, and as before , this was useless. Even though you can in some situations cast healing word 3 times instantly in a row and empowered, the overall healing was terrible and slow. I don't know yet, but I doubt healing, even fully feated, will make any difference in pvp.

So I didn't find the ultimate pvp strategy, but its in there someplace amongst the complexities..I hope.

Any ability mechanics that rely on a known sequence building in a pvp environment are a basic non-starter. Experienced players will simply monitor what you are doing and either "dodge the nuke" or in this case with no cc immunity, stun/choke to the degree that it doesn't matter what new abilities you've got - you won't be in any position to use them.

I also gave the different builds pvp trials. My experiences roughly mirror your own.
    Healing build in pve - very good. In pvp - pretty dreadful.
    Pure dps build in pvp - looked good on paper, but you don't win pvp on spread sheet results - You can't nuke when you're dead was the quick and repeated outcome.
    So, the tank type build: Best of the three, (taking into account the bar hadn't been raised very high by the other two options). As you say it was a case of staying alive long enough to do something, but really struggled to give effective damage against comparable fairly well geared players.

So - for pve, with more static and telegraphed environments, the modifications will obviously work pretty well.
    For pvp, without some kind of cc immunity, the class will still be the first stun/choke target - and that will be the end of you in a lot of cases. And this build-build-build-sequence-sequence-sequence-sequence chain mechanic in pvp is a pipe dream.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    izatar wrote: »

Yes, but surely you would never go into PvP without maxing Divinity against the training dummies?

;)

I am getting pretty sick of 9k Wizards floating and freezing my 15k AC in PvP. All they seem to do is hold down one key and I am permanently immobilsed until I am dead. I do better against GWFs.

Any CC Resists in the new Feats?