test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The AD/Zen Exchange

Comments

• l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah we brought this up like 10 pages back LOL

It's easy to think in terms of what a single player can do and what is reasonable. From the single player view, Leadership and praying is insignificant amounts of AD. It really is.

HOWEVER

Switch gears to the mind of an exploiter/botter. Those are loopholes begging to get plundered. When the other avenues are closed off, they are viable and lucrative options that remain on the table.
    edited September 2014
    In other news, the ZAX is about to get wiped tomorrow, according to Akro. I wonder how fast the backlog will creep back up after account maintenance. :)
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    l0th4ri0 wrote: »
    In other news, the ZAX is about to get wiped tomorrow, according to Akro. I wonder how fast the backlog will creep back up after account maintenance. :)

I wonder if everyone trying to log on at once to get to the ZAX will crash the server to be honest.

That said I don't think this will do anything, people are just going to put their orders back up tommorrow and the ZAX will be where it was roughly at the end of 24 hours.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    Well, if the lockbox stuff was BoP it would effectively kill off the lockbox business. People can currently recover a portion of the key cost by selling unwanted lockbox drops on the AH, but without the ability to do that, most players would probably not bother with the boxes.

<snip>

However, consider the business side - if people are spending real $$$ on Zen, and not just exchanging that for AD, but buying popular items during sales, and selling them on the AH for a significant profit a few weeks or months later, making the Zen store items BoA might reduce Zen sales, which would be bad for business.

Not might. It would. Very bad for business. I absolutely agree with your first point, but I think you are understating the second.

The only saving grace of taking a gamble with the lock boxes is that you CAN get good stuff you can use AND stuff you can sell to recover some of your costs. You NEVER recover the cash cost, but you do get AD back in exchange for the Zen you bought with cash and spent on keys to open the boxes. The "bad drops", I auction off. The good drops I keep.

It would be a foolish thing to have any other view and I think the only people who want Leadership curtailed, all Zen items to be BoP or BtA and who think that selling Zen Market items for more than 500 per Zen-equivalent is an "Exploit" must be purely F2P "freeloaders" who have never purchased any Zen and are fed up of waiting a month to get any for their farmed AD.

What are they? Communists? Does anyone really think I am going to buy AD for the low, low price of 500 per Zen if I could buy 10 Coalescent Wards for 7500 Zen (3.75 million AD) and trade them for 6 million AD? That is real-world cash money I am turning into AD, WITHOUT going to 3rd party scam sites to buy pirated assets. Charging Zen is the way Cryptic and PWE get an income to keep the game free to play for those who want to play it that way. Charging Zen is NOT a mechanism to give free Zen to people who have not paid a penny into the game, so that THEY can buy Coalescent Wards in the sale and flip them on the AH.

So let's see a little less whinging and a bit more patience until your orders are filled. And please stop calling for nerfs to legitimate players who are playing legitimately

I don't agree that making anything else on the Zen Market BoP or BoA is in anyway a sensible idea. First, there are different types of things already.

Keys (and Astral Resonators from the boxes) are BoP, of course, and we all know why.

Retraining "Tokens" are not tokens at all, but you buy the ability to re-spec for that character (Unless they have changed it since last time I bought one).

Race Changes, Appearance Changes, Renaming "Tokens" and Character Slots cannot be traded, of course.

Account-Wide Mounts means you get one for each character, so they are BoA anyway. I paid 3500 Zen for a White Tiger - all characters have a BoP White Tiger. I bought The Knights of the Feywild - all characters have a BoP Unicorn. I would love a Rage Drake for my Dragonborn Warlock and a Tenser's Floating Disc for my Thief, but I don't have enough AD.

Other things are listed as "Single Purchase - Tradeable with Players".

So you trade according to the economy. If the economy means that Trading Zen Market items, as intended by Cryptic, gives you more AD than using the Exchange, then that is the way it is.

The Zen/AD Exchange is a CURRENCY exchange. The Auction House is for trading commodities. They are two completely different things.

Genuine "Flippers" are not causing the backlog. Leadership is not causing it. Poor coding and players exploiting that poor coding for the Astral Resonator AD Fountain is what caused it. And that was exploiting players, not Bots and Gold farmers, who revealed themselves (apparently) in Zone Chat and got reported.

Those of you calling for BtA for Zen Market items, bemoaning the wait in the ZAX and claiming that getting more than 500 AD per Zen through taking the risk of trading Zen items is an "Exploit" (and paying a FEE which you lose if the item is not purchased, or if you set the initial bid too low because you did not have enough AD to cover the fee for a higher reserve price and lose 3 million AD due to a last-minute bidder), why don't you do something about it?

What you can do is put $50 into the game, buy some Zen and then either help out other people with orders in the backlog by exchanging your new Zen for AD, OR buy something desirable and take the risk of Auctioning it yourself.

I am sure both PWE and Cryptic would be happy to accept your $50 and see you use it in a legitimate way as they intended.

~
    edited September 2014

Really? What about the AD we have in back-orders?

I suspect they have been working on deleting accounts etc and blocking bots and farmers, so there may be a large amount of AD on the exchange from null accounts now. So if they wipe the ZAX and reset it, accounts that still exist will put in orders again.

But I also suspect very few people will put in orders at 250 AD per Zen. The rate will probably be 500 straight away and there will probably be a backlog of millions in a few hours.

But with any luck, it will be 2 million instead of 10.

~
    edited September 2014
    Really? What about the AD we have in back-orders?

I suspect they have been working on deleting accounts etc and blocking bots and farmers, so there may be a large amount of AD on the exchange from null accounts now. So if they wipe the ZAX and reset it, accounts that still exist will put in orders again.

But I also suspect very few people will put in orders at 250 AD per Zen. The rate will probably be 500 straight away and there will probably be a backlog of millions in a few hours.

But with any luck, it will be 2 million instead of 10.

~

It's been over 2 weeks since then, the ad from banned people is already off the zax.

As far as people that think flipping is an exploit being freeloaders. Please look at what it says under my name. I've put money into this game. I just think your greed will destroy it.
    edited September 2014
    What you can do is put $50 into the game, buy some Zen and then either help out other people with orders in the backlog by exchanging your new Zen for AD, OR buy something desirable and take the risk of Auctioning it yourself.

Risk? LOL

Seriously, man.. come on. You're REALLY stretching for this one.

If there was legitimate risk and not a 100% guarantee of profit (rather sizable profit at that, in many cases with a little planning) then bring it on. For example, if you, as an AD baron, were forced to gamble on lockbox contents to find tradable items to put on the AH and actually truly take on actual real risk where you might not 100% come out on top every single time then I would have no complaints.

If you found some mega-item in one of your lockboxes, put it up on the AH for twenty gazillionty AD's -- knock yourself out, I hope it sells. But look at the AH right now --- LOOK AT IT -- coal wards, for example, just one of the exploitable items -- it's the same 5 or 6 people who own the first 5 pages of listings! They are running a tried and tested program to maximize their gains off of the backlog. Those people right there are a few of the AD barons we've been talking about who control the market. There's no "risk"! They are operating printing presses for AD's.
    edited September 2014
    Risk? LOL

Of course there is a risk. You have to have enough AD to pay the fee for your reserve price and there is no guarantee it will sell. If it does not sell, you lose your posting fee. Others can come in and undercut you, putting your item two or three pages down and the five days times out. I put an enchant up and instead of the reserve price being 80% of the Buy Out, I made it about 30% to save some AD. It was bought by a last minute bidder, and I got bugger all for it, when I was thinking "Ah well, I'll get it back in a few hours and put it up at a lower price". But it went to the lowest bidder. I learned a lot from that experience!

For example, if you, as an AD baron, were forced to gamble on lockbox contents to find tradable items to put on the AH and actually truly take on actual real risk where you might not 100% come out on top every single time then I would have no complaints.

But I am not an AD Baron. I have about 140k AD at the moment and nothing on the AH. I have about 450k on the ZAX. I did not buy any Zen for the recent sale because I was ripped off and lied to like a chump and then treated with no respect over the Dragonborn Pre-Release Fake Sale.

Most of the Zen I have spent has been on keys to open boxes, as I said earlier. 3500 went on an account-wide White Tiger, and I bought quite a few character slots, retraining tokens and other things that I actually used.

If you found some mega-item in one of your lockboxes, put it up on the AH for twenty gazillionty AD's -- knock yourself out, I hope it sells. But look at the AH right now --- LOOK AT IT -- coal wards, for example, just one of the exploitable items -- it's the same 5 or 6 people who own the first 5 pages of listings! They are running a tried and tested program to maximize their gains off of the backlog. Those people right there are a few of the AD barons we've been talking about who control the market. There's no "risk"! They are operating printing presses for AD's.

I got a lot of Epic items that I sold. The first Thayan Book of the Dead brought 3 million. I also got a ton of useless blue Fey'ri items etc that only go for a few thousand. So I kept them until I either have a use for them on a new character or the price goes up.

But if people do not buy over-priced things from the AH, the sellers will get the items back and will have lost their posting fees. And the more wards that are posted, the lower the prices will go. So do not buy them is the answer. I don't!

If you really believe that those items are from bots and spammers who will then sell the AD for cash, that is part of the balance game companies have to maintain - if those bots and spammers are paying for Zen with real world cash, do you ban them and delete their accounts, or turn a blind eye for a while as long as they are still paying in? In any case, those items may be from genuine players who are spending a lot of real money. Or they may be from spam bots who are clogging the ZAX and turning AD into Zen and Zen into Wards and Wards into AD and AD into cash illegally. That is up to Cryptic and PWE to investigate. But legitimate players sell things on the AH as well, so punishing legitimate players by making everything BtA seems a rather blunt edged tool. Which is probably why it has not happened.

People seem to be crying because they have been playing since open beta and have dozens of millions of AD and cannot get any Zen to flip items themselves, and do not like paying the inflated prices at the AH. Some of these people force GREEEEEEEDDDD!!!! runs on less experienced players so they can get BoE items they cannot use so they can sell them on the AH for hundreds of thousands.

It's not my "greed" that is destroying the game.

~
  • ryonasryonas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    though i am against price flippers but the whole thing gonna end soon .. because flippers depend on backlog so players would buy their items for time convenience .. since backlog is going down .. we are near to having a stable economy ... ad value will go up with the knox event coming soon eating good portion of backlog since zen sellers want to have the company's hero franchise for exotic purposes of course .. so when backlog ends .. flippers dielama will end and good luck doing your flipping .. unless there is still frauded AD that people still got them hiding and not posting them on zax which is my current fear atm which we will know after the account server is maintained .. one thing we might as well know if some of the ordered ad on zax are frauded or legit .. though i believe some of them are frauded
  • ryonasryonas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i am not saying that economy will be stable for the account server reset

what i am saying that the backlog has been declining and it already broke the 10K million backlog and pretty soon the backlog issue wont exist ,, in addition with the knox event that will consume if not the whole backlog at least good portion of it that is what i meant by having a stable economy .. i did not relate economy's stability to account server
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wow , the backlog is now below 9 million so either some people are withdrawing bids and hiding AD or people are just paranoid that their AD will go poof when the exchange is reset so are taking it out xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited September 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Wow , the backlog is now below 9 million so either some people are withdrawing bids and hiding AD or people are just paranoid that their AD will go poof when the exchange is reset so are taking it out xD

I've heard a lot of people talking and saying they were afraid it would go poof because they didn't trust that it would be done right.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of people talking and saying they were afraid it would go poof because they didn't trust that it would be done right.

What does it say about Cryptic that people can't trust their AD with them. lol
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Reset won't change anything, it'll be just annoying for people who waited long in the queue already. on the other hand, some other can get lucky.
    I don't think the event will have much of an impact on the economy. There are only 5 companions, even if they sell for 100m, it's just a drop in the ocean.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ulviel wrote: »
    Reset won't change anything, it'll be just annoying for people who waited long in the queue already. on the other hand, some other can get lucky.
    I don't think the event will have much of an impact on the economy. There are only 5 companions, even if they sell for 100m, it's just a drop in the ocean.

5 companions at 100 million is 500 million AD or 1 million ZEN equivalent.

Not a huge deal but still the equivalent of reasonable fraction of the backlog.
  • harkurharkur Member Posts: 305 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Oddly enough only about a mil worth of zen has been withdrawn so far. Guess people either aren't that afraid after all or there is indeed quite a bit of AD floating around from banned accounts.

I'm sure that a large percentage of that AD is owned by people who don't use the forums and are likely not aware of the impending exchange reset. I say that since it would simply be prudent to get whatever AD you owned off the exchange and it's a simple thing to do.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm one of them. I took my bid down myself just in case. I've seen enough bugs in this game after maintenance that I'd rather not trust them to keep my AD balance. At least now I'm sure I still have my AD :)

Ouch. Would *NOT* have done that. I'm still remembering a past maintenance where they said the AH would be reset. Everything that had a bid on it was suppose to be sold. Other auctions were to be closed and returned to the seller. People went through placing min bids on everything. Some pulled their stuff down. While others had friends or alt-accounts bid their stuff up to a reasonable point. Lots complained. After all that fuss nothing happened. No auctions were closed. When people asked about it, they said they found a way to do what they needed without resetting the AH. Then even more complained about them not doing it.

IDK, hopefully whatever they are doing here works. But I wouldn't have pulled my stuff down. They might decide not to go through with it.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
    edited September 2014
    The fact the exchange is getting wiped, doesn't mean that in the first few hours people won't re-post their offers. I know I will.

And me.

Funnily enough, an order I had in for 375 Zen was filled when I logged in after reading this thread earlier today. It had been up for a while, but nowhere near three weeks. The backlog was below 9 million as well.

I cancelled my other order for 525 Zen just before logging out at about 14:15 BST. 45 minutes before the maintenance. Maybe I should not have done that, but I'll put it back up as soon as I get back in.
  • bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Lol, backlog already at 3 mil AD and raising by 20k/sec.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    4 minutes up, and back to 3 million already. Should be back to 10 million again within the hour.
  • mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    4.4 mil and climbing...
    edited September 2014
    LOL the Zen backlog tracker didn't even get a chance to register a zero on the graph because when the maintenance ended, so many people reposted their orders so quickly that the backlog had already hit 2 Million zen before the tracker ran.

It's up over 5 million now.

PS anybody wanna take bets on whether or not more zen store items get bound eventually? Somebody gimme odds I'm feelin' lucky. :)
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    only 5.5mil now... they should check zax logs to check who is doing this @&lt;font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>#
    Paladin Master Race
  • abishai3705abishai3705 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    What is wrong with posting a Zen offer? There was 8 Million something before they cleared it, I don't see any reason it wouldn't go back to that number after the original posters figure out their request was cleared.
    Abishai the Blessed - 60 Sun Elf DC
    Shazaam - 60 Tiefling CW
    Link - 60 Menzoberranzan Renegade (Drow) HR
    Naruto - 60 Half-Orc TR
    Moose - 60 Human GWF
    T-Wrecks 60 Half-Orc GF
    Drag King - 60 Dragonborn SW
  • chaostheorysevenchaostheoryseven Member Posts: 84
    edited September 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    only 5.5mil now... they should check zax logs to check who is doing this @&lt;font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>#
    Virtually everyone who had orders up prior to the patch put them back up right away upon logging in after the patch . As did I.
    I don't understand why you automatically assume there's something shady going on.

What happened today will have next to no effect on the backlog size. That was obvious before it was even executed.
    I love to burst bubbles.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    I know I put my order back in shortly after the server came back up. I imagine that I am not the only one. Regardless, the ZAX clearing wasn't meant to "fix" this. It was a by-product of how the account maintenance affected Neverwinter's ZAX and was needed to ensure no one lost AD or Zen.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I know I put my order back in shortly after the server came back up. I imagine that I am not the only one.

*the old mage winks*

I most certainly did as well. And apparently I got in fast/lucky (think I posted with around 2-300k already there) and I've already gotten both of my orders filled. w00t w00t!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    tinukeda wrote: »
    I most certainly did as well. And apparently I got in fast/lucky (think I posted with around 2-300k already there) and I've already gotten both of my orders filled. w00t w00t!
    Nice! I'm hoping mine will have been filled by the time I have time to log in again (soon).
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, there's no reason not to assume that the backlog won't be back up over 10 million zen once everyone gets their stuff relisted. The only reason it dipped down to almost 8 million last night was because of folks worried their AD would go poof during maintenance that withdrew their offers early.

Interestingly, this tells us that around 2 million zen of the backlog is held by forumites who don't trust Cryptic. :D
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, there's no reason not to assume that the backlog won't be back up over 10 million zen once everyone gets their stuff relisted. The only reason it dipped down to almost 8 million last night was because of folks worried their AD would go poof during maintenance that withdrew their offers early.

Interestingly, this tells us that around 2 million zen of the backlog is held by forumites who don't trust Cryptic. :D
    I took mine down before I logged last night just in case, which I'd have done no matter what company ran the game. It's not that I don't trust Cryptic or PWE, it's that I don't trust technology, period.
This discussion has been closed.