test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger Changes

Comments

• hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Seems reasonable. I'll try to help out testing dungeons in the next few days.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    10 stacks are maybe way too few but overall more reasonable that no stacks cap at all. Need further testing.
  • mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    *text IBSed by GWF*

Thanks a lot for first considering the limitations that the HR community gave, instead of a heavyhanded act of turning the feat into uselessness. However, the Heal Proc on the PvP Armor Sets seems to suffer from the same Bug that Wilds Medicine had (Activating on simply 'existing'). It would be nice if you could look into that, too, unless that has been fixed, too.

Another suggestion I have is: Now, with these waves of changes, it might be time to look into the feats that increase a Stat by a percentage of its rating, instead of a flat value. On most classes, these feats are underwhelming AND raise stats that have are subject to Diminishing Returns. Doesn't need to be included in the next build, but I'd like to point some attention at these feats.
    Like stated earlier, the new Feat 'Fluid Hunter' barely gives 0.4-0.6% Deflection chance, and that for 5 Feat Points. Guardian Fighter and Great Weapon Fighter recieve, for the same investment of points, a flat, additive 5% Deflection Chance at 5 Feat Points.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wilds Medicine: Wilds Medicine will only trigger from Damage sources, and will no longer trigger from other assorted effects that can be deflected but where deflect had no effect.

Whatever you did there, if you can do it to Fey Thistle as well, you will bring much rejoicing to the streets and taverns of Neverwinter.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Feedback/Suggestion:

When playing around with my Combat spec HR on the test server, I noticed that I really liked the new Serpent Weave feat. The issue I had with it is that shifting around during a melee fight feels weird. After a bit of thought, I figured out why it felt weird: I want to shift to bring cooldowns down, but that prevents me from doing at-will damage.

What I'd find as a neat thing to fix this would be to either rework the Blade Storm passive or upgrade it through a feat. It currently has a 25% chance to deal 15% of your attack's damage in an AOE, which I don't see too many players caring too much for. I feel it would be considered more valuable for combat spec if the feat had you deal damage to nearby enemies every time you shifted, while in melee stance.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Powers
    • Grasping Roots (Weak): This power now roots a target in place for 1 second (.5 seconds on players). This power now deals damage against Control Immune targets.
    • Grasping Roots (Strong): This power now roots a target in place for 2 seconds (1 second on players). This power now deals damage against Control Immune targets.
    • Aspect of the Serpent: This power now only stacks 2 times each direction. This power now provides 3% per stack. This power grants an additional 3% per stack per rank.
    • Constricting Arrow: This power is now an Area of Effect Strong Grasping Roots apply instead of a series of stuns.
    Feats: Archery
    T1
    • Ghostwalker: 5/10/15/20/25% more Stamina Regeneration while in Ranged Stance.
    • Keen Eye: 1/2/3/4/5% more AP from Ranged Powers.
    T2
    • Broadhead Arrows: 1/2/3/4/5% more Critical Chance while in Ranged Stance.
    T3
    • Unflinching Aim: 6/12/18/24/30% more Ranged Damage.
    • Bottomless Quiver: 10/20/30/40/50% shorter Ranged cooldowns.
    T4
    • Rising Focus: Ranged Critical Strikes grant 1/2/3/4/5% Critical Severity and 1/2/3/4/5% more Power. Stacks 3 times. Lasts 6 seconds.
    • Stillness of the Forest: Your Ranged damage is increased the farther you get from your target. Max 2/4/6/8/10%. Additionally, while no foes are within 25 feet of you, you have 5/10/15/20/25% increased chance to crit.
    T5
    • Predator: Using a ranged encounter power on a foe applies Prey to your target. You deal 30% additional damage to your Prey. You may only have 1 Prey at a time. Prey lasts 20 seconds or until the Prey dies.
    Just a Few comments on this.

"Unflinching Aim: 6/12/18/24/30% more Ranged Damage."
    - A T3 feat that offers a 30% damage boost? Seems a bit too much, I mean the T5 gives 30% only on ONE target. This seems like it should be toned down to about 15%...

"Stillness of the Forest: Your Ranged damage is increased the farther you get from your target. Max 2/4/6/8/10%. Additionally, while no foes are within 25 feet of you, you have 5/10/15/20/25% increased chance to crit.
    This one also scares me, potentially 10% more damage PLUS 25% crit? Combined with all the critical severity - not even including Vorpal encahnts, this one T4 feat alone can approach over 40% damage boost pretty easily... Seems a little over the top to me. Maybe nerf this down to 15% more crit at maximum down from 25%...
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "Unflinching Aim: 6/12/18/24/30% more Ranged Damage."
    - A T3 feat that offers a 30% damage boost? Seems a bit too much, I mean the T5 gives 30% only on ONE target. This seems like it should be toned down to about 15%...

Well 30% added to something depends on the number its added to. If you want to separate archers path from the others you need to boost the dam of pure range significally. A small increase will not make it valid in dungeons as clearing all the mobs single dps capstone wont do you any good.
    "Stillness of the Forest: Your Ranged damage is increased the farther you get from your target. Max 2/4/6/8/10%. Additionally, while no foes are within 25 feet of you, you have 5/10/15/20/25% increased chance to crit.
    This one also scares me, potentially 10% more damage PLUS 25% crit? Combined with all the critical severity - not even including Vorpal encahnts, this one T4 feat alone can approach over 40% damage boost pretty easily... Seems a little over the top to me. Maybe nerf this down to 15% more crit at maximum down from 25%...

TBH Ayroux how you can come up with 40 % increase and at same time say easily sound more like a nerf thread then valid arguments.
    First of all its at max range only and you can have no foe within 25 feet of you. Yes it can happend but to claim its easy a 40% increase in dam is taking it a bit far.

As range hrs will have only dps to add it better be good or you just bring another cw instead and in pvp well good luck standing alone at max range fireing without getting attension(and being full range hr you sure dont survive being focused for long).

Your a good advocate for gwfs and you should maby stick to comment the things you actually tested as you do a good job of it.

Having tried holding max range myself i cant say its something consistent even if its fun to see dam flying when it happens.
  • trohkarrtrohkarr Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2014
    I did some tests in PvP today and i have to say wild medicine needs to get get reduced to 5 stacks max.

Since prone rotations for the 2 melee classes are practically gone, it's really hard to catch a CW let alone to hurt a HR!
    Do not forget that the set bonus still exists, of course in no form and shape of what it is today. With 5 stacks max it would be indeed fairly more balanced in PvP, still hard enough to catch a good one. They will kite the 2 melee classes to death while refilling HP thru wild med feat and set bonus.

The HRs do not need this feat in PvE since they can pot or tag along with a healer like the GF should!
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I respecced on PTR for a archery HR. Me and another archery HR duoed remohaz, which seems a little excessively powerful. Neither of us wore a full BI or PvE gear(I only have profound combatant and no IWD boons).

With a hybrid archery/combat spec me and a TR duoed the corrupted wolves encounter fairly easily(we pulled everything at once).

For PvE HR feels very good. You can get excellent damage at the expense of close in survivability with archery and great survivability with competitive AOE damage with a hybrid or combat spec. However for PvP it feels totally overpowered to a laughable degree. I'm pretty tired right now so I don't currently have any suggestions on how to fix this.

T1

• Ghostwalker: extremely nice addition for a class that relies mostly of moving to stay alive in bother PvP and PvE.
    • Keen Eye: I don't really think HR needs more AP gain honestly. My HR already gains AP faster than my CW on live and I only have 600 recovery.

T2
    • Broadhead Arrows: A nice buff, I don't see any real issues with it now that prime critical has been removed.

T3
    • Unflinching Aim: The top end additional damage seems excessive (and feels excessive). I suggest changing it to 5/10/15/20/25% more damage on ranged attacks after a critical hit for 3 seconds.
    • Bottomless Quiver: I like this one, it helps make archery spec feel very fluid and natural to play. Still on the fence as to if it's too much of a CD reduction or not.

T4
    • Rising focus: Did not test. but allowing this feat to stack three times does appear excessive. Suggest halving the effectiveness of the feat or only allowing two stacks.
    • Stillness of the Forest: Basically a rework of the old snipers aim feat. I haven't got an issue with it.

T5
    • Predator: This is way to powerful in PvP. In PvP this should be reduced to 10%. Feels ok in PvE, although 20 seconds is rather a long time, prehaps rework to 6-10 seconds, which should be easy enough to keep up anyway.

T1

• Bloodletting: I have no real issue with this by itself, but adding this with Battle Crazed stacks is absurd. One or the other should be reworked.
    • Serpent Weave: Feels very nice, allows for combat spec to feel just as smooth as the archery spec(with Bottomless Quiver).

T2
    • Fluid Hunter: Worthless, nobody wants 5% deflect rating. Make it 5% deflect severity or 5% deflect chance and it'd be a worthwhile feat.

T3
    • Piercing Blade: This damage should be mitigated(at the very least by tenacity) and deflectable in PvP only.
    • Wilds Medicine: Broken in it's current state. Needs a stack(I suggest tuning it lower in PvP and higher in PvE) limit or a long ICD.

Bug: Wilds Medicine
    With no stack limit or ICD this makes combat HR's immortal unless hit by a archery spec HR(since everyone else hits like a pansy now)

I did not test any higher level combat feats or try the trapper tree.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Poor Binding Arrow, the new Constricting Arrow has kind of taken it's job and it does it better :(.

I'll also note that the 2 seconds of Strong Grasping Roots feels shorter in duration than what is current live. I'm not sure what the actual duration is on live though, I'm just basing off the ability to get off extra aimed shots. Live is better.

Not sure what to make of these, do we need both? Does Binding Arrow need improving or a change?

Using both, particularly in conjuction with Ancient Roots is frankly hilarious. I'm not going to complain and don't want to get into balance discussions since I mostly puddle around with solo PVE but 5 sec extra duration on Strong Grasping Roots seems a touch excessive to me.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    We are making a change to the shift powers for all classes to make them more responsive and improve player survivability as long as you can react. Being able to shift out of encounters and dailies will make reacting a much more important factor in high end PVE and PVP combat.

Guardian Fighter: Block: Block can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Great Weapon Fighter: Sprint: Sprint can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Devoted Cleric: Dodge: Dodge can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Trickster Rogue: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Hunter Ranger: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Control Wizard: Teleport: Teleport can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.

This change can have some serious impacts on balance, so when it reaches Preview we would like players to test it as much as possible, but we believe that players should not be punished for attempting to cast powers before an area is threatened. This change should alleviate much of that, as well as improving interactions for all the shift mechanics.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    We are making a change to the shift powers for all classes to make them more responsive and improve player survivability as long as you can react. Being able to shift out of encounters and dailies will make reacting a much more important factor in high end PVE and PVP combat.

Guardian Fighter: Block: Block can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Great Weapon Fighter: Sprint: Sprint can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Devoted Cleric: Dodge: Dodge can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Trickster Rogue: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Hunter Ranger: Shift: Shift can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.
    Control Wizard: Teleport: Teleport can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.

This change can have some serious impacts on balance, so when it reaches Preview we would like players to test it as much as possible, but we believe that players should not be punished for attempting to cast powers before an area is threatened. This change should alleviate much of that, as well as improving interactions for all the shift mechanics.

I'm really hoping this will prevent rubberbanding back and taking the CC you just dodged from. It doesn't just happen because of ping either- I've had it happen on mobs too.

If so, this is really awesome!
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thorn Ward has a fairly long idle time (time during which player cannot act) after the ward is cast, which can be circumvented using Shift
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Thorn Ward has a fairly long idle time (time during which player cannot act) after the ward is cast, which can be circumvented using Shift

The melee version is affected by this problem since ever. I would like this fixed
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just did some of the Epic heroic encounters solo, and finished them all within 5-10 minutes each...

Something I'm really having trouble grasping is that my 3k power, 13k gs hr can outperform my 17.6k 7.5k power cw, in literally... every... single... way...

Both my character are pure pvp specced, so that means the cw should have the advantage right? Wrong. The damage that HRs can do in the preview is completely unjustified, because they can also survive the longest in most battles. The archery path is especially giving me a headache due to just how much damage bonus a HR can get on his ranged abilities, while compared to every other class rework for the other classes, the gwf has been given a wet noodle, the cws throw rice, and trs were not touched in the slightest.

Why is it that HRs got such a big damage bonus to the archery path while every other class has been nurfed... I think I've said that 3 times in this one post because of how mortified I am that such an inbalance can go straight over the developers heads... 30% damage boost to ALL range attacks? 30% damage boost to a single target for 20 seconds????? 60% damage bonus on a single person, not to mention the 6 encounter abilities which HRs can use, thats basically killing any enemy by clicking your Q, then your E, then your R button. Not to sound like a complete spaz but in IWD it was taking seconds to kill bear riders in the epic encounter, when it took atleast 30-40 seconds to kill on my CW. (dailies not included) I also tested how op the archery path was on my friend who is an endgame gwf, 45% dr, 33% deflect, 38k hp.

and it took 5 encounters, and 7 seconds to kill him.

nice one /rant topic over, please don't give a flat 30% damage bonus for a single feat, when the "best feat" for a CW gives 5% bonus damage on stupid chill stacks
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Devs, I don't understand how you came with those numbers....

Bottomless Quiver: 50% shorter CD from ranged encounters.
    Unfliching Aim: deal +30% Damage from ranged powers (Dailies, Encounters and At-Will).
    Rising Focus: give +5% Crti Severity and +5% Power for each crit (up to +15% Crit Severity and +15% Power).
    Stillness of the Forest: Ranged Damage increased the farther you are from the target (max 10%), and +25% chance to crit if there's no one in 25 feet.
    Predator: +30% Damage to 1 enemy for 20 seconds...

Seriously, I don't know who came with this idea, for example, my GF have some feats that I would use to compare, 1 feat give me +15% Damage in just 2 At-Wills (while HR have 1 that give +30% Damage with all ranged attacks), another that make 10% Damage Debuff to the foes that I hit after 5 times (HR have 1 feat that give you +30% Damage to a single foe), or 1 feat that give me 10% reduced CD (HR have 1 feat that gives you 50% reduced CD from ranged encounters), there's a huge difference between the feats that you give to my HR vs the feats you give to my GF, make the class balanced please.

My suggestions:

Bottomless Quiver: 25% shorter CD from ranged encounters.
    Unfliching Aim: deal +15% Damage from ranged powers (Dailies, Encounters and At-Will).
    Rising Focus: give +2% Crti Severity and +2% Power for each crit (up to +10% Crit Severity and +10% Power).
    Predator: +20% Damage to 1 enemy for 10 seconds with and ICD of 20 seconds...

If you make the HR class a DPS god (with a GOOD Tankiness), then make my GF a Tank/Treath god (with a GOOD DPS)... seriously, with my HR I just see 5K crits like if they were raining and 20K hits from Aimed Shot (not even crit and without buffs), my HR make x6 the damage of my GF while my GF is just like 2x Tankier due to life steal and dodge...
  • zooidin1zooidin1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hi Gentlemancrush,

Pathfinder's action doesn't scale properly with ranks, conceding only 10% deflection at rank 3, instead of 15%. Is it intended?

Grats for the changes, it will make a whole new game to play
  • isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    FEEdback
    Hunter rangers heals make then tankier than a DC,gf and gwf. In pvp. It is like my hunter rangers always has emblem of seladin active. Pre-nerf.
  • zooidin1zooidin1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In my opinion, bottomless quiver, as it is, would give too much survivability to Archer rangers in pvp (marauder escape, fox shift, ambush). It should be lowered, IMHO, to 2/4/6/8/10, just like other similar feats. I also think that the devs intention is to remove the damage from CWs and put it elsewhere, in the archer tree for example, trying to create diversity, witch is good, brings new players and so on.

Cheers
  • redmtredmt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i tried all trees and imo;
    -Archery tree is nice but some overpowered for PVP, %30 bonus damage+%30 prey bonus damage for single target is some overpowered which means one shot HR. Because with the correct combination i hit about 65k to dummies :D
    -Combat tree is nice again and i dont know if wild medicine needs nerf in stacking but i know that HR doesnt have any cc immüne abilities or skills. if you choose combat tree that means you should have some abilities for ignoring cc effects like unstoppable or impossible to catch or guarding abilities. if not then HR combat is some useless in PVE, however is usefull for PVP
    -Trapper tree is very successfull and doesnt need anything. its very funny to play and not overpowered and forcing player to think more strategically especially while playing. its well balanced hybrid way to go.
  • stainfurlagstainfurlag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited June 2014
    i'm already liking the rework on the feats, verry good job, of course, still needs some tweaking here and there, but go on guys!

a litel feedback

Endles quiver gives too much cooldown, i think 25 or 30 % should be more than enough since in combination with Unflinching Aim and Predator it could be very very op,

and i have a little request of clarification about this t5 feat

Blade Hurricane: Using a Melee Encounter Power grants Flurry. Flurry causes your next Melee At-Will to strike two additional times for 5% additional damage. Flurry can only be triggered once every 5 seconds.

what i don't really understand is, is this aditional strike hits like another at will + 5% extra damage, or this aditional attak only do 5% of my actual damage? (i'm not sure if i'm clear enough)
  • arbitrarityarbitrarity Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Having tested Blade Hurricane, the additional hits are like an at-will+5% damage. This tends to be about 1500 damage total. I haven't tested if it applies in AOE, though I suspect it does.
  • g4rfunkleg4rfunkle Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Stillness of the Forest:

When I specc this feat, my base crit chance goes from +5% to -17%. When close to foes, my base crit lists as +8% but changes back to -17% at the point when i should be receiving the +25% from this feat.Effectively, on the character sheet critical strike chance does not change whether or not enemies are within 25 feet of the HR with this feat.
  • isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    The buffs for hr seem great for pve but with the war HR are right now in pvp anymore heals would make them even stronger
    FEEDBACK
    Wild medicine makes hr like a boss mob, It should be five stacks because because with heal depression at 10stacks it will heal them for 25% of their hit points. Compared to say ferocious reaction that heals a 44k gwf/gf for 5k in pvp? and it has a 3min cooldown? HR have have to many heals as it is
  • monokherosmonokheros Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cindikle wrote: »
    Electric Shot is still worse than Split Shot in every way. Give it some sort of special effect. I made a post last night on it. "Shoots an arrow damaging and charging all nearby targets. Targets can be charged up to 3 times. When a charged target is damaged by a single target encounter ability it deals 30% of it's damage per to all nearby charged targets per charge." Each rank adding 5% more damage per charge. I don't believe this will make it OP or even stronger than Split Shot as it still deals less base damage. %'s can be adjusted if I'm wrong.

after some testing on Mimic i have found that Electric Shot hits harder then 'medium' Split Shot which is where it is supposed to be. this allows you the choice of AoE Atwills. this i will note is a major change from LIVE where eshot pales to Split Shot even at the weakest level 'tapping'. it still will not 'peak' as high as split shot but the overall dps i think has been equalized. this should have been caught by the community the first time around. i at the time did not have the tools i have now to calculate dps and average overall damage.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2014

HUZZAH! Been hating this since the HR was introduced!
  • lfishlfish Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    [...] can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.

Sorry, I do not understand this well. I get two possibilities out of it. Do you mean ...

1. When player A attacks player B and B is shifting during the attack of A so that B dodges successfully, player A's power gets "interrupted" so he does not get the cooldown for that attack and can retry using his power?

or

2. When a player attempts to attacks someone and wants to interrupt his own attack he can do so by shifting.

If you mean the 2. one, I have noticed that this is mostly (but not consistently) working already before the Mod4 patch.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lfish wrote: »
    2. When a player attempts to attacks someone and wants to interrupt his own attack he can do so by shifting.

This, but it doesn't work for every class on every power on live as far as I know.
  • matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bug: Stillness of the Forest
    Don't gives properly critical chance.
    bug_hrcr.jpg

Useless feat, it should give deflection chance instead deflection rating.

I like this feat, it's good especially in fight vs boss, but it can be OP in PvP.

IMO this feat is really bad. Compared to Preadtor this is really weak.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    matii1509 wrote: »
    Bug: Stillness of the Forest
    Don't gives properly critical chance.
    bug_hrcr.jpg

It actually does work. The bug there is with the character sheet. You have 48.6 crit chance on ranged attacks only.