What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger Changes

Comments

• Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    wilds medicine is exactly like a rangers overpowered profound set but buffed. Please give put in an internal cool down and or put it in trappers feat three and or make it unable to stack. They are unkillable.
  • Options
    doctordarkspawndoctordarkspawn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Now, i like these changes. I like how this class has alot more clearly defined. And the melee now makes sense, more lifesteal, more damnage potential. A great step, i support it fully.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    hr needed a nerf not a buff. what are you people thinking by doing this? dont you understand that they are to overpowered right now? they have forest meditation and heal a lot from the set. You nerf their set and then give them wilds medicine and you think that is a balance? please revise wild medicine feat. cannot kill a hr anymore and the gwf was the only class that could and now no class can kill hrs. Not even hunter rangers.
  • Options
    rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have to admit I'm bummed that nature HR's will be RIP. I always thought that they had good potential for at least PvE, I used to run T2 dungeons pretty effectively with two nature HR's and 3 CW's before I focused my HR on PvP. Oak skin just recently got a buff to be more effective, too.

The new trapping feat tree had better be effective to make up for it.

also, at this point I think we can assume that wilds medicine will get a nerf or a complete rework since it's so brokenly OP.
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mircalla83 wrote: »
    An idea for the 'new' Feat on the HR might be: Give it a number of maximum stacks (And have HD apply to it, that would be required!).

Healing Depression does currently work on it. So, that part is covered at least. That's kind of the depressing part of where its at right now too.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Hunter rangers have dodges and other skill like fox shift and marauders escape for defense and also the 20% damage mitigation. With wild medicine you are making them unkillable in pvp. The whole party will need to come and skill them our you will need another hr to stall them on the node, because hunter rangers will not be able to kill each other. No one will be able to kill hr. They are already overpowered right now in pvp because of the heal. dont give them more heals.
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2014
    isuuck2 wrote: »
    Hunter rangers have dodges and other skill like fox shift and marauders escape for defense and also the 20% damage mitigation. With wild medicine you are making them unkillable in pvp. The whole party will need to come and skill them our you will need another hr to stall them on the node, because hunter rangers will not be able to kill each other. No one will be able to kill hr. They are already overpowered right now in pvp because of the heal. dont give them more heals.

Wild Medicine is a midlevel feat. 'Tier 3' down the combat path. The deflect feat got nerfed, from flat 10% to 5% RATING.At 2k Deflect rating (15.37%, roughly), this means 100 Deflect Rating. Resulting in whopping 15.9% Chance. Numbers for 3k Deflect rating? 19.63% Chance at 3k Deflect. Plus 5% -> 20.11%.
    What Combat HR also lost: 10% Flat crit chance for melee attacks. 10% Runspeed unless you keep cycling Tab (and have points in the matching feat from the Trapper Tree), Stamina Regen on attack. And the new Capstone only gives a bonus to At-Wills, not to ALL Melee attacks, like the old one did. And the Lifesteal bonuses? Hint, you can only stack Battle Crazed in Melee, and the T1 Feat also only applies to melee. There is something called 'Ranged Combat'. Kite the HR, and he can't hit you in melee, denying Lifesteal to him. The HR does not get 'CC Breakers'.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wild Medicine is a midlevel feat. 'Tier 3' down the combat path. The deflect feat got nerfed, from flat 10% to 5% RATING.At 2k Deflect rating (15.37%, roughly), this means 100 Deflect Rating. Resulting in whopping 15.9% Chance. Numbers for 3k Deflect rating? 19.63% Chance at 3k Deflect. Plus 5% -> 20.11%.
    What Combat HR also lost: 10% Flat crit chance for melee attacks. 10% Runspeed unless you keep cycling Tab (and have points in the matching feat from the Trapper Tree), Stamina Regen on attack. And the new Capstone only gives a bonus to At-Wills, not to ALL Melee attacks, like the old one did. And the Lifesteal bonuses? Hint, you can only stack Battle Crazed in Melee, and the T1 Feat also only applies to melee. There is something called 'Ranged Combat'. Kite the HR, and he can't hit you in melee, denying Lifesteal to him. The HR does not get 'CC Breakers'.

so rating does mean that? meh
    basically expect medicine which is trivially not working as intended the rest is all awful?
    going to test right now but...seems that the only viable thing is the cap stone of archery
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So a group of testers and I were just testing out class balance changes on the preview server. Two of them were rangers, one testing archery and one testing melee.

Now, due to the way we were DPS testing, we were allowing each other to beat on one another, with intermittent duels to test combat scenarios. Well, our first test was with Aimed Shot. I'm a GF in full profound gear, I've capped out my defense, and have 20% pvp damage reduction, as well as a barkshield enchantment. It didn't matter. The ranger shot me for 49k damage, instantly killing me through everything there. We tested it out with me blocking his shot, which still took off a third of my health. My 36k Health. Every other attack was doing multiple thousands, even crappy at-wills such as rapid shot. Imagine the damage it'd be doing to other classes.

This isn't reasonable for something capable of being done to a tank class. We're talking about every class in the game consistently being one-shot by a single class. Guardian Fighters have the worst of it, as while every other class has a dodge mechanic, GFs are no longer able to negate damage. But that complaint belongs in a different thread.

The melee based ranger was doing 2v1 and 3v1 fights, and was near unkillable while still actually killing other players.

My point is that HRs have been turbo-buffed to the point of being ludicrous. This is insane, and while I love that HRs are getting some love, this is maybe a little too much, you think?
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    isuuck2 wrote: »
    This sounds as if you let the HR beat up on you at maximum range. You might read up on the ways the new Archery feats work. The 'Every other hit deals thousands of damage' comes most likely from the fact that you were further away than 25 feet -> Stillness of the Forest, giving the HR an additional 25% crit chance, with repeated crits raising Crit Severity, plus you most likely had been marked with 'Prey' (capstone), giving the HR another 30% bonus Damage.
    Also, you said you are a GF, with 36k health. I'd take a wild guess here, but for a GUARDIAN FIGHTER, that is an actually ridiculously low amount, and it seems you have built a 'Glasscannon DPS' Guardian. So technically, you most likely gave all advantages to the HR, meaning: Bonus Range, Bonus Crit Chance, and you building your character into something it isn't supposed to be.
    The Melee Ranger issue has already been identified as the new HoT-on-Deflect Feat stacking unlimited. An ICD would make the feat utterly useless, since calculations for a 30k HP Ranger have been made, showing that the heal per second for a single stack is close to useless. However, there have been people that purposely let the HR stack it up into the upper double digits, where it IS indeed broken. So a limitation in the number of stacks would be appropriate.

Try the Archery test again, with you standing in the face of the HR this time. And actually bring a TANK, not a GF who tries to be something that the class isn't supposed to be.

BUG MEDICINE: actually the problem is that HOT procs even if you dont deflect. i suspect some strange interactions with fey thistle boon.

FEEDBACK after testing: the melee path is not comparable to the dps increase of the archery tree and doesnt offer any survivability tools if not the bugged "medicine" and that lifesteal (but you are going to do low single target damage).

T3

Piercing Blade: Melee attacks deal an additional 3/6/9/12/15% damage as Piercing damage. Piercing damage is Physical damage that cannot be resisted or deflected.

Comment: this showed to be a quite low amount of damage ~ 100 with the most damaging weapons in game.

T5

Blade Hurricane: Using a Melee Encounter Power grants Flurry. Flurry causes your next Melee At-Will to strike two additional times for 5% additional damage. Flurry can only be triggered once every 5 seconds.

Comment: good but not that game changing like the archery cap stone.

Overall FEEDBACK: it seems you wanted to kill all the survivability, i dont like it but can be ok. Now you give the tools to damage both in archery or in combat but there is a big problem: no way to build crit chance...that 25% when far away is no good. No one should play from far away for the sake of the whole party. Melee ones have to pray some ancestral gods to see an "orange number"
  • Options
    rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So, I tested my current melee build last night. What I saw taken away was about 10% crit, deflect, and run speed. I quite enjoyed this, so now I have to do some reworking. I will have to do some more testing though. Yet, there were some decent replacements for these. On the other hand for my other ranger, the changes to the ranged tree were very nice and so far am pleased if it goes in this direction.

• Options
    ontiszontisz Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Three statements:

1. Melee build really looks like it's gonna be hard to kill a melee HR unless you CC and nuke him. Up to 30% lifesteal in PVP will definitely increase aggressive healing potency while several nerfs to deflect-based healing will perhaps somewhat reduce the "oh my he healed to full while in Meditation" issue.
    2. Ranged tree will clearly be a PVE-oriented pick. This really makes me happy. Even if we're not given any AOE CC to be useful in a group, the raw damage itself will finally make us a viable pick over 3CW2GWF combos.
    3. This issue actually comes from #2. With raw damage increased so does threat generation. And with "tanks" out there being unable to compete with high-end HRs, this will be of even more of a trouble. We desperately need a more powerful version of threat reduction feat. 2/4/6% is literally nothing. 10/20/30% is more like it.
    Honestly, if we're to make comparsion with WOW out there, most classes had a SINGLE point talent in their tree that reduced their threat by ~30%. That was before Failpandas kicked in, of course, but you still get the idea. Threat must not be an issue for a damage dealer unless he is overgeared or his tank is a bird-brain.

Now to my typical duties.
    harnel wrote: »
    So a group of testers and I were just testing out class balance changes on the preview server. Two of them were rangers, one testing archery and one testing melee.

Now, due to the way we were DPS testing, we were allowing each other to beat on one another, with intermittent duels to test combat scenarios. Well, our first test was with Aimed Shot. I'm a GF in full profound gear, I've capped out my defense, and have 20% pvp damage reduction, as well as a barkshield enchantment. It didn't matter. The ranger shot me for 49k damage, instantly killing me through everything there. We tested it out with me blocking his shot, which still took off a third of my health. My 36k Health. Every other attack was doing multiple thousands, even crappy at-wills such as rapid shot. Imagine the damage it'd be doing to other classes.

This isn't reasonable for something capable of being done to a tank class. We're talking about every class in the game consistently being one-shot by a single class. Guardian Fighters have the worst of it, as while every other class has a dodge mechanic, GFs are no longer able to negate damage. But that complaint belongs in a different thread.

The melee based ranger was doing 2v1 and 3v1 fights, and was near unkillable while still actually killing other players.

My point is that HRs have been turbo-buffed to the point of being ludicrous. This is insane, and while I love that HRs are getting some love, this is maybe a little too much, you think?

Excuse me. You just asked a PVE-geared (power-stacking) HR to throw an Aimed shot at you standing there? What did you expect, honestly? Of course a HR that has soft-capped ARP and over 8k Power will slap his target for immense damage, why are you so very surprised of that? Such hunter, however, is an easy prey for killing, as he has no defensive stats or feats. A single CC, a hit or two, bam, HR dead. Do not be surprised by a Glass Cannon concept taken to its pinnacle.
    Mi-Ala Starbreeze : HR main. Best PVE HR out there, until someone proves me wrong.
    I've threatened Ghostcrawler and got permabanned at Blizzard forums.
    I went mad at PL "community" in SWTOR and got permabanned.
    Believe me, you don't want to see the tickets I used to sent to CCP. I got permabanned from EVE.
    I was infuriated by the amount of autists in League of Legends and got permabanned. Twice.
    Cryptic, here I go.
    Lo and behold.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ontisz wrote: »
    Excuse me. You just asked a PVE-geared (power-stacking) HR to throw an Aimed shot at you standing there? What did you expect, honestly? Of course a HR that has soft-capped ARP and over 8k Power will slap his target for immense damage, why are you so very surprised of that? Such hunter, however, is an easy prey for killing, as he has no defensive stats or feats. A single CC, a hit or two, bam, HR dead. Do not be surprised by a Glass Cannon concept taken to its pinnacle.
    You misunderstand; He wasn't easy pickings at all. Given the fights we had with each other, it was as if he hadn't sacrificed anything for his damage, much less his defensive ability.

Perhaps that's just an example of how bad a GF is, or maybe he was just that good, but on live I'm consistently capable of killing any class with my GF, save for super-geared GWFs. These were tests for damage, and that's what we got. Then we did actual duels.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's interesting because on my own HR I tend to do a lot with aimed shot. Forest ghost lets you escape long enough to get one off, the high ground as you said allows for one, and playing sniper on an unsuspecting melee are all quite likely, and happen frequently. Will it work in 1v1? Probably not, though I've seen people work magic with Forest Ghost. That doesn't mean it's not extremely powerful and when it's one-shotting people specced for tanking there is a defined problem.

And no. There've been no videos of me taken.
  • Options
    despidespi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited June 2014
    Im sorry to say this but HR archer tree now is way overpowered in my opinion. Ive got like 70% crit rate and and like 70% bonus dmg + 2 roots. With constricing arrow i killed weak mob in dread ring 1 shot.Like every second attack critical.There are some bugs with layout too and big lag spikes.Everyone stay for 4 seconds in one place and get hit with criticals all the time. **** i like it :D
    Traper with that dmg overtime might be good not so powerfull. Havent tested combat yet. Till that time.I like that mass root but i feel like binding arrow should be that way and constricing arrow would stay same.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bug: Melee Stance Hitched
    Perhaps it's anecdotal, but whenever I'm in melee stance, even when out of combat, my ranger doesn't drop out of melee stance.

Bug: Rapid Strike
    Strangely, when making use of the rapid strike power, the green blade trail effect locks up for a moment, making my combat full of weird green flashes.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well that multiple root from contricing arrow looks decent .
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    despi wrote: »
    Well that multiple root from contricing arrow looks decent .

I just tried constricting arrow it only roots once. It's weird because now basically it's just a lamer version of binding arrow.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    just a reminder that the devs are looking for constructive feedback from actual test time on the preview server... not feedback about someone else's testing or your first impression of the patch notes.

also, threats to quit and overall unproductive posts will be canned.

please remember that these changes are on the preview server so you can test it and give your respectful and constructive feedback. you won't convince anyone to lean to your point of view with insults, antagonism or an angry star-filled post. we want what you want, but you have to follow the forum guidelines, please.

do NOT reply to this message. if you want to discuss forum rules, send me a PM. thanks.
  • Options
    futuunfutuun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This feat need .5s or 1s ICD. As you can see on this movie:
    HR vs 4x CW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUVjGUtTIM

It was pretty funny to watch it happen.
    powers with damage over time like ray of frost may trigger multiple times in one seconds. With no ITC we can have (in rare cases) even 80-90 stack of Wilds Medicine. It is way to much.

With .5s ITC it is still less healing then now with PvP set but this feat does not become useless.
    0LQASjV.png
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ok I have finished some preliminary testing on preview with ranger. Quite an interesting variance I must say.
    Archery tree is just crazy, I know that there has been a cry to turn the HR into a primarily ranged class which is fine but the extent that the changes go to is extreme. I like the feats overall but they need to be reduced to within the realm of reason. The crit proc rate is ridiculous and the stacking damage increase due to predator is godly. I do like that in exchange for the damage increase, the rooting effects duration has been decreased, keep that.
    Melee tree is invincible mode now, seriously. Even in pve environments with multiple adds, a high deflect, high regen and lifesteal HR will be tankier than our forgotten tanks already are. I like the prospect of adding survivability to the melee HR but as with the Archery tree, you went overboard.

Now the Trapper tree is different. For those of you who aren't certain yet, the paragon breakdowns are this. Archery is ranged DPS and sickening ( I mean sickening) single target DPS and low control. Melee is survivability with great AoE damage potential.
    Trapper is where the control and true hybrid dash and slash style went. Of all three trees, Trapper is the most well balanced but still needs a few tweaks in duration of boost for stance changing particularly.

I will post some brief vids from the preview server of some gameplay as well as some more specific suggestions later tonite.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't see how you would root a group of monsters except with binding arrow if they're in a line, which would never happen practically.

Compared to CW control it's just not useful control and never has been.

I like the direction the changes seem to provide- bring a CW for control and some Aoe damage and bring an HR for pure damage. Right now as it is on live there's no point to bringing an HR when a CW outdamages and outcontrols.
    Constricting Arrow: This power is now an Area of Effect Strong Grasping Roots apply instead of a series of stuns.
    With that.Did you checked it?
    I agree with caexar.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Ok I have finished some preliminary testing on preview with ranger. Quite an interesting variance I must say.
    Archery tree is just crazy, I know that there has been a cry to turn the HR into a primarily ranged class which is fine but the extent that the changes go to is extreme. I like the feats overall but they need to be reduced to within the realm of reason. The crit proc rate is ridiculous and the stacking damage increase due to predator is godly

What I'd like to see is the damage charts for a dungeon run. Ideally HR should be top or tied with destroyer GWF, followed by CW.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Me fighting a friend. CW Vs HR on a pretend point (wow..)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZqxVS644to
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "Wilds Medicine: Deflecting attacks cause the Hunter to be healed for 1/2/3/4/5% of their HP over 15 seconds. This effect can stack."

Question, you just fixed/nerfed the armor set that does this. So why are we introducing a power that works even better?
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    My layout bug.Enter word is displaced character power page is bugged menu on esc is bugged after logout page is bugged.Ap + stamina bar is smaller.
    1zp1bv6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Carefull attack at will sometimes trigger sometimes not tested in dwarven valley on cats.
    Wild medicine feat works on archer side and on combat side.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    despi wrote: »
    Carefull attack at will sometimes trigger sometimes not tested in dwarven valley on cats.
    Wild medicine feat works on archer side and on combat side.

Nothing in the description as Wild Medicine is Combat only.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Sorry guys and gals but the feedback forums were becoming quite a mess of back and forth with a lot of insults, you're rights and you're wrongs rather than actual feedback of your own opinions.

I tried to leave as much direct feedback as I could but while reading so much I likely did grab some things that could have arguably been left behind. If you feel a specific post should be left behind feel free to PM me but the simpler alternative is to just reaffirm your feedback using direct feedback, preferably using the format the developers requested.

The only non-direct feedback I did intentionally leave were the simple "I agree" posts as it at least directs the devs to direct feedback.

If you want to continue with the speculation and debates on what the best approach is then please do so here. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    doctordarkspawndoctordarkspawn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    After doing a few test runs on my Ranger, i can safely say, maaaybe the changes need toned back a bit, but they -are- solid.

A combat HR can now stand the **** up to his enemies, and a ranged Archery spec, can now do what it's bloody well supposed to. Maybe a little too well, but still, they can.

I like the changes. Maybe tone the changes back a few notches, but i like it, i like it.