Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Changes

Comments

• Options
    nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feedback

Is it WAI that if you hit a target with Icy Rays and the target goes stealth it is still visible to you and all your allies till the CC effect of Icy Rays is over?

Is it WAI that the Icy Rays mark doesn't disappear for the casting player when the target goes stealth?

Is it WAI that if you hit a stealthed target with Icy Rays that it will become visible for you and all your allies even if the stealth bar is not fully drained?
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • Options
    ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    nuudlz wrote: »
    Feedback

Is it WAI that if you hit a target with Icy Rays and the target goes stealth it is still visible to you and all your allies till the CC effect of Icy Rays is over?

Is it WAI that the Icy Rays mark doesn't disappear for the casting player when the target goes stealth?

Is it WAI that if you hit a stealthed target with Icy Rays that it will become visible for you and all your allies even if the stealth bar is not fully drained?

Yes, WAI.
    Same as TR's daggers can be sticking out, same as enchantment can be seen while moving...

At least in DnD you get perception check. With this game, that is the perception check
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Hey all we are making a few changes to improve Single Target feel and bringing Magic Missile up a little bit. These changes wont make it in this week, but should be in an upcoming preview push either next week or the week after.

Focused Wizardry: Now increases single target damage by 10/20/30% but reduces AoE damage by 30/20/10%.
    Magic Missile: Damage increased by about 15%.

One of the more controversial parts of the change will be the direct decrease to AoE damage given by Focused Wizardry. We wanted it to be an important choice that helps refine your role and improve your position as "focused on priority targets with single target spells" but we couldn't just put 10/20/30% in there without some kind of draw back or it became an always correct option at that tier. Therefore we have opted to give it a drawback that you can decrease as you put points into it. This means that if you take Focused Wizardry you can still use AoE powers in cases where they overtake Single Target powers (generally when they would affect 4 or more targets is this breakpoint) without losing too much of the effectiveness there while still getting a nice solid Single Target boost. Secondly we brought Magic Missile up a bit. It was still performing quite well in our testing, but we found that it didn't fit well enough into most PVE situations any more so we wanted to make it a little more competitive choice for PVE players. This means that Chilling Cloud still performs better when 3~4 targets will be up for any meaningful time, but Magic Missile is a consistent source of Arcane Mastery and is still very important and competitive when making that choice.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey all we are making a few changes to improve Single Target feel and bringing Magic Missile up a little bit. These changes wont make it in this week, but should be in an upcoming preview push either next week or the week after.

Focused Wizardry: Now increases single target damage by 10/20/30% but reduces AoE damage by 30/20/10%.

One of the more controversial parts of the change will be the direct decrease to AoE damage given by Focused Wizardry. We wanted it to be an important choice that helps refine your role and improve your position as "focused on priority targets with single target spells" but we couldn't just put 10/20/30% in there without some kind of draw back or it became an always correct option at that tier. Therefore we have opted to give it a drawback that you can decrease as you put points into it. This means that if you take Focused Wizardry you can still use AoE powers in cases where they overtake Single Target powers (generally when they would affect 4 or more targets is this breakpoint) without losing too much of the effectiveness there while still getting a nice solid Single Target boost. Secondly we brought Magic Missile up a bit. It was still performing quite well in our testing, but we found that it didn't fit well enough into most PVE situations any more so we wanted to make it a little more competitive choice for PVE players. This means that Chilling Cloud still performs better when 3~4 targets will be up for any meaningful time, but Magic Missile is a consistent source of Arcane Mastery and is still very important and competitive when making that choice.

Orb of imposition is still bugged and does not work half of the times.
    Also, is the Ice knife affected by Focused Wizardry?

You guys need to go on the test shard and play against good equally geared players from other classes.

Right now on the tests hard GWF/HR is killing us so hard and that's with the shield and assailing that is not yet nerfed.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    About 10-20% of the time repel doesn't push the target (not control immune) It could be another bug with the ability, was testing it for awhile on a random group of people, sometimes it wouldn't push when deflected and sometimes it wasn't deflected but still wouldn't push. I do not know the cause of the glitch, but it's there. xD
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I really do like the focused wizardry perk now because I will finally be able to be doing some kind of damage PvPing but then again it really tears shard up in terms of damage even more. It would basically mean that shard has almost an 80% damage nurf on it, which is the biggest nurf of any ability since the game was first out. A bit extreme lol

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014

I kind of like this change... it's sad that we get 10% less AoE but I understand that 30% more damage for free would be OP.

By the way, what I have to suggest still in this topic is:

- Change places between Wizard's Wrath and Learned Spellcaster
    - Make Learned Spellcaster be mastered with 3 heroic feats for 2/4/6% more damage coming from Intelligence
    - Make the following feats be mastered with 5 heroic feat points for the respective effect:
    • Focused Wizardry: Increases the damage of single-target powers by 10/20/30/40/50% and decreases the damage of area-of-effect powers by 50/40/30/20/10%.
    • Wizard's Wrath: Increases the damage of area-of-effect powers by 10/20/30/40/50% and decreases the damage of single-target powers by 50/40/30/20/10%.

The 1/2/3% AoE damage increase of Wizard's Wrath looks very squishy and just not worth it; lesser cooldowns from the other feat in the same tier is just much better. Since you only get 5 points in the end, you'll be unable to choose more than one feat, and getting only a part of one of these will end in something bad for your damage. Humans will not be a problem here, because if you put 5 points in one of these feats and 3 in another one, the damage will just be shared by 20% for each type of attack, and since Humans are known for being versatile this kind of fits them.

I suggested this because I've seen a lot of discussion about CWs being Strikers or Controllers, and with these changes the player can choose what their CW will be :) and also this solves some of our damage problems on Preview.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Been a while since i checked on preview due to foundry stuff but anyway I want to echo what some others have said

Lower Steal time and give damage to shard, so they are both viable/equal. They are both high level spells that cc and aoe, shard is CCs quicker but steal time requires no lock on, so in terms of ultility they are pretty even in those departments. take away damage from steal time and buff shard by the same amount (im not talking about the same percentage since % of steal time is alot more than it would be for shard right now.)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I played a 5on5 domination match yesterday on the preview shard and I noticed for the first time how boring control is. Not only for the CW giving the control but also being controlled by a GWF/GF. The new stuns GWFs has is to much. It makes the game boring. 3 seconds stun is like enough time for you to stand up and scratch your *** while playing. And I cant imagine how boring shatter must be for some classes.

For the CW that still has very little damage, the control-killing is taking forever. Imagine CW 1on1 against another CW.. The CW that lands the first control encounter will control the other CW until death and that can take like 30 seconds. The CW being controlled in that situation can just sit and watch while being control-killed.

Module 4 is introducing very much control and stuns and its making the game boring. I rather have two classes that are somewhat similar to each other (CW and warlock). I rather see a complete rollback for CW and do some thoughtful damage nerfs on AoE damage.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014

Unacceptable
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I hate the idea that we're at a disadvantage for picking a feat. A core design change to 4E was to remove penalties and focus on bonuses. Will we be the only class in the game that has a disadvantage attached to a feat? I appreciate the effort, but figure something else out. Is that 10% penalty REALLY necessary? How about your drop the penalty and just go with the bonus?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    cdasnevescdasneves Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hi
    hefisdo wrote: »
    I kind of like this change... it's sad that we get 10% less AoE but I understand that 30% more damage for free would be OP.

Sorry, but where do you see 30% more damage for free ?

MM is nerfed by 22% > 78% damage from what it does on live. 30% more means that it will deal 1.4% more damage than on live (70*1.3).

And in exchange for this 1.4% more we get 10% less on AoE damage.

As for other single target spells. Do the maths...

Yeah. Great. Another nail in the coffin (exagerating but how I feel actually about CWs.)

To have a CW that can compete with other classes, really only with rank 10 and perfects.

Forget groups and pugs, and finds friends or guildies that will play with you.

CW welcome to the club of TR and GF.

Sad.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Nvm... I was wrong.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hfgtfsdfs wrote: »
    First:
    Magic Missile: Casting times have been reverted to their live state. Damage has been reduced by roughly 32%.

Then:

= 17% nerf on Magic Missile compared to live.

Do the patch notes work like that or like this:

100*(1-.32)=68 <-32% nerf

68*1.15=78.2 <-15% damage boost

Essentially, where do they get the numbers from for boosts after nerfing the damage?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Do the patch notes work like that or like this:

100*(1-.32)=68 <-32% nerf

68*1.15=78.2 <-15% damage boost

Essentially, where do they get the numbers from for boosts after nerfing the damage?

Well I might be missing something, but 1% nerf has to be exactly the same amount as 1% boost? I don't see why it would be different? :S
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well I might be missing something, but 1% nerf has to be exactly the same amount as 1% boost? I don't see why it would be different? :S

32-15=17

100-17=83

78.2=/=83

That's why I'm asking.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Math isn't my strongsuit. So I cant really say whats correct. :D
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't get why Shard can't just have its damage split the more targets it hits , so it hits one it hits hard , it hits two then it's hit is divided between two , three divided by three up to a cap of 5 or 6 or something , also we need a feat reworked to lower EotS icd , control wizard in module 4 at the moment is pathetic.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I just know that most PvP CWs now only have one real problem and that is that the shard is under-performing in PvP. It really needs a buff to the TABB version, with 30-40% after all the nerfs to it.

I've seen almost all high end PvP CWs complaining about that and the devs shouldn't ignore it.

If you are a PvP CW and agree with the above, quote and say so. LETS TAKE A STAND. HERE AND NOW!

Current list of bugs that have not been fixed (taken from another thread, it should be posted here):

General

Powers

• Magic Missile: The final three hits of magic missile do more damage than the tooltip.
    • Ray of Frost: Does not freeze targets when they reach 6 stacks of chill as the tooltip states.
    • Conduit of Ice: Shows 0 damage ticks in addition to damage on critical hits.
    • Sudden Storm: Shows 0 damage ticks in addition to damage on critical hits.
    • Arcane Singularity: Does not count as a control spell.
    • Chilling Presence: does not give any bonus damage to Sudden Storm, Ray of Enfeeblement, Icy Rays, Shard of the Endless Avalanche, Arcane Singularity, Oppressive Force, and Repel when it is not in the tab slot (it does work on Repel when not in the tab slot
    • Evocation: does not increase the damage of Storm Pillar or Conduit of Ice.
    • Icy Terrain: Does not damage frozen enemies.
    • Icy Terrain: Gives no AP gain if used at the start of an encounter.
    • Sudden Storm: The lightning arcs from tabbed Sudden Storm do not proc Storm Spell.
    • Ray of Enfeeblement: Casting RoE a second time cancels the damage of the first cast.
    • Storm Pillar: Arcs cannot crit.
    • Icy rays: Damage shown in the tooltip of the slotted skill is lower than the damage shown in the Power tab tooltip.
    • Shard of Avalanche frequently gets stuck in terrain - usually in Icewind Dale.
    • Maelstrom of Chaos does not crit, its damage does not increase with power or intelligence, it receives no bonus damage from feats and passive class features and it does not proc other effects.
    • debuff from Combustive Action only lasts 1 second.

Feats: Heroic
    • Learned spellcaster is not reflected in character sheet.
    • Wizard's Wrath does not change the tooltips of Conduit of Ice, Icy Terrain, Sudden Storm, Storm Pillar, Arcane Singularity, Oppressive Force, and Shard of the Endless Avalanche.
    • Wizard's Wrath does not increase the damage of Chilling Cloud and Storm Pillar.
    • Shard of the Endless Avalanche and Oppressive Force receive no bonus damage from Arcane Enhancement. It also increases the damage of Arcane Singularity by approximately 10% and Entangling Force by approximately 30%.
    • Focused Wizardry does not increase the damage of Repel (not on tab) and Ray of Enfeeblement. Also it does not change the tooltip of Icy Rays.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    tempopktempopk Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just know that most PvP CWs now only have one real problem and that is that the shard is under-performing in PvP. It really needs a buff to the TABB version, with 30-40% after all the nerfs to it.

I've seen almost all high end PvP CWs complaining about that and the devs shouldn't ignore it.

If you are a PvP CW and agree with the above, quote and say so. LETS TAKE A STAND. HERE AND NOW!

Current list of bugs that have not been fixed:

General

Powers

Magic Missile: The final three hits of magic missile do more damage than the tooltip.
    Ray of Frost: Does not freeze targets when they reach 6 stacks of chill as the tooltip states.
    Conduit of Ice: Shows 0 damage ticks in addition to damage on critical hits.
    Sudden Storm: Shows 0 damage ticks in addition to damage on critical hits.
    Arcane Singularity: Does not count as a control spell.
    Chilling Presence: does not give any bonus damage to Sudden Storm, Ray of Enfeeblement, Icy Rays, Shard of the Endless Avalanche, Arcane Singularity, Oppressive Force, and Repel when it is not in the tab slot (it does work on Repel when not in the tab slot
    Evocation: does not increase the damage of Storm Pillar or Conduit of Ice.
    Icy Terrain: Does not damage frozen enemies.
    Icy Terrain: Gives no AP gain if used at the start of an encounter.
    Sudden Storm: The lightning arcs from tabbed Sudden Storm do not proc Storm Spell.
    Ray of Enfeeblement: Casting RoE a second time cancels the damage of the first cast.
    Storm Pillar: Arcs cannot crit.
    Icy rays: Damage shown in the tooltip of the slotted skill is lower than the damage shown in the Power tab tooltip.
    Shard of Avalanche frequently gets stuck in terrain - usually in Icewind Dale.
    Maelstrom of Chaos does not crit, its damage does not increase with power or intelligence, it receives no bonus damage from feats and passive class features and it does not proc other effects.
    debuff from Combustive Action only lasts 1 second.

Feats: Heroic

Learned spellcaster is not reflected in character sheet.
    Wizard's Wrath does not change the tooltips of Conduit of Ice, Icy Terrain, Sudden Storm, Storm Pillar, Arcane Singularity, Oppressive Force, and Shard of the Endless Avalanche.
    Wizard's Wrath does not increase the damage of Chilling Cloud and Storm Pillar.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche and Oppressive Force receive no bonus damage from Arcane Enhancement. It also increases the damage of Arcane Singularity by approximately 10% and Entangling Force by approximately 30%.
    Focused Wizardry does not increase the damage of Repel (not on tab) and Ray of Enfeeblement. Also it does not change the tooltip of Icy Rays.

+++++++ SOMEONE THAT MAKES SENSE FINALLY.. someone has to notice omg
    - [Tempzy]
  • Options
    v1rus89v1rus89 Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2014

This. Can't quote enough.
    Virus, Enemy Team.
  • Options
    meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

1. Why reducing AoE damage when you have already nerfed all AoE powers manually (except Steal Time). It would affect Shard on Spell Mastery, and this is unacceptable for 2 out of 3 possible PvP builds. Shard of the Endless Avalanche on Spell Mastery needs a damage buff!

2. It does not come even close to making Renegade viable without a normal Eye of the Storm (as it is on live). The best way would be to introduce a full EotS cooldown reduction (to 0) specific to Renegades, but reachable to other builds (second column). Phantasmal Destruction needs to proc with a 100% chance in case of Nightmare Wizardry. In addition, Nightmare Wizardry should last less (but proc with the same chance of 20%). So CWs would have to choose between a reliable Eye of the Storm and survivability (Severe Reaction). And in case they go full Oppressor, their (base) damage will be so low in the first place that Eye of the Storm won't make a difference. So you would still have a viable choice between Shard build/DoT with Assailant (which doesn't crit) or the classic Renegade with a normal Eye of the Storm.

3. Magic Missile damage: 15% more than it is now on Preview is acceptable from your point of view? How? Do you realize that a chill build deals almost twice the damage of an arcane build on Live (well, somewhere around 70% more damage)? In addition to that, and this is the most important part, targets under Ray of Frost get slowed down and frozen + Shatter? And you get Chill stacks. If they deal the same damage, and they will, why would anyone choose Magic Missile? I'm not talking about PvE. For PvE, the choice is clear: Chilling Cloud. Due to straight numbers (multiple Chill feats + Chilling Presence/Evocation), it will never be possible to deal more damage with an Arcane build than with a Chill build. But the Arcane build can still be viable in PvP with a few changes. Magic Missile needs a (decent) damage buff over other At-Wills (and no, it doesn't mean reducing other At-Wills' damage), because with your planned changes, they would deal the same damage. And I'd rather take an At-Will that additionally freezes and slows down my target.

4. Repel still doesn't push when a target deflects it.

5. CW in PvP cannot be viable without (at least) the Eye of the Storm as it is now on Live (not that they're viable now). Either give us a feat possibility to remove the cooldown or roll it back to the situation on Live. Without it, the CW in PvP is dead, no matter what changes will be coming!

6. Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer, could you please address the PvP Oppressor, PvP Thaumaturge, and PvP Renegade? Give us a sign that you can see us and that you're planning some changes that will address PvP. On the Live Shard, you can see where the CW currently stands in PvP: in a very bad place. And in the current state on live, the CW is dead. I have practically done all your work, parsed all kinds of different situations, including PvE runs, for free and presented you with a solution to an ideal balance that would make everyone happy in PvP without affecting PvE. It was a lot of work for me that I am not being paid for, because I'm doing it to keep the community alive. If you do not believe that CW should participate in PvP in Neverwinter, please tell me, because I don't want to waste time on a game I and my friends won't be able to play in 2 weeks. I understand that you're working on multiple projects at the same time. I have my own software company and understand that project management isn't the easiest area to work in. But you are lucky enough to have a community here, where people don't stay, because they like the game so much, but because it has a DnD label on it. Use this community for your advantage. Listen to it, implement the changes, let them test it. You have made a huge mistake with the GF in the past. Don't let that happen to the CW.

7. And yes, we all know that these imbalances only manifest themselves in PvP and end-game. And would it be an unsolvable situation, I would completely agree with it: ditch the end-game community. As long as new players are joining every day, who cares about the old guys quitting? In this case, the situation is easily solvable. The players giving you advice and suggestions here, at least some of them, you can recognize it by the way they write, are academics. To be honest, I would still suggest that you reverse ALL the changes, then start nerfing pure PvE powers one by one, and then let us test it!
  • Options
    jayrad8jayrad8 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    I don't get why Shard can't just have its damage split the more targets it hits , so it hits one it hits hard , it hits two then it's hit is divided between two , three divided by three up to a cap of 5 or 6 or something , also we need a feat reworked to lower EotS icd , control wizard in module 4 at the moment is pathetic.

I have suggested a division damage rework to shard in at least three of my posts, yet nothing has been done and no reason has been given as to why our legitimate feedback on this encounter is being ignored.

I don't think we should be asking for a 30-40% damage buff to what shard currently is now on the preview, that isn't going to get your 1-3k crits back up to a reasonable 6-7k damage -- I think we should be asking for a 25-35% reduction of the original 60% damage nerf placed on shardsplosion. Applying the 60% nerf to shard off mastery and doing 30% for shard in mastery would be fine. Regardless, a damage buff is needed for shard.
    Ezra@jayrad8 | M4 CW Class Advocate
    twitch.tv/ezracw | absolutegaming.guildportal.com
    #BringBackShard | M5 CW Bug List | My M3 PvP Gameplay
    PpkM0MK.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    jayrad8 wrote: »
    I have suggested a division damage rework to shard in at least three of my posts, yet nothing has been done and no reason has been given as to why our legitimate feedback on this encounter is being ignored.

I don't think we should be asking for a 30-40% damage buff to what shard currently is now on the preview, that isn't going to get your 1-3k crits back up to a reasonable 6-7k damage -- I think we should be asking for a 25-35% reduction of the original 60% damage nerf placed on shardsplosion. Applying the 60% nerf to shard off mastery and doing 30% for shard in mastery would be fine. Regardless, a damage buff is needed for shard.

Yea at the moment on preview my Shard of the endless avalanche criticals are LESS then my at will criticals... it was stated that this was tested but I'm starting to debate if that really was tested... The level 50 unlock spell shouldn't be so weak compared to the level 50 IBS on Gwfs, since thats basically what it's compared to. Not to mention the difficulty of accurately using the shard on tab, making it wasted effort on the Cw's part, because of how horrible it really is now..

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jayrad8 wrote: »

I'm counting the new 10% nerf they added yesterday.

Focused Wizardry: *REWORK* Now increases single target damage by 10/20/30% but reduces AoE damage by 30/20/10%. (This change has not yet been implemented on the preview server)

But yes I agree with you, 25-35% from the first 60% nerf.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • Options
    smulchsmulch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After going to the live servers, I can tell you that the changes to renegade is just gonna kill the build entirely.
    Moving nightmare wizardry and phantasmal destruction on the same tier is foricing renegade wizards to waste (because it really is a pure waste) points on either the second tier of feats, which are just trash.
  • Options
    meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    smulch wrote: »
    After going to the live servers, I can tell you that the changes to renegade is just gonna kill the build entirely.
    Moving nightmare wizardry and phantasmal destruction on the same tier is foricing renegade wizards to waste (because it really is a pure waste) points on either the second tier of feats, which are just trash.

Renegade without the old Eye of the Storm = dead Renegade. As simple as that. The other things don't matter here anymore.

Meld the Renegade (04/30/2013 - 08/14/2014)
This discussion has been closed.