Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Changes

Comments

• Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dolour79 wrote: »
    noone ever slotted conduit of ice for damage, you pick it for the thaum-debuff.
    redesigning the feat, without granting the spell an built in debuff, will eliminate its purpose totally.

I slotted it for damage as well as the debuff. It does more damage than tabbed Chill Strike (it just takes longer for all of the damage to apply) and several other spells. At least it does now. On the preview server it's now quite wimpy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aviracaineaviracaine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You listened! Cannot thank you enough for it! I feel like Ray on enfeeblement could use a 0.5 second casting time to make up for the damage nerfs and to make it worth slotting on tab.

Imo, the only reason to ever delve into thaumaturge tree. Period. I was honestly expecting these changes to be completely reverted to their live state. This is not only a nerf to CW but to every single teammate who relied on combat advantage in one way or the other.(Non-perma TRs for example who are already unwanted in PvE, greatly benefited from it while their stealth bar refilled, and so did GWFs with Vicious Advantage from Instigator tree.)
    If you feel like it's too readily available to other specs for the power it holds, move it up a tier and leave it alone.
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, I wanted to drop in and share a few more changes that will be hitting in the next week or two.

We still want Wizards to feel like a viable DPS class while they are specced into Thaumatuge (and a bit more group utility focused in Renegade) so we are making some buffs to feats in those trees to reinforce that.

Thaumaturge:
    Transcended Master: Shard of the Endless Avalanche now deals an additional 5/10/15/20/25% damage (up from 2/4/6/8/10%). Icy Rays now deals an additional 5/10/15/20/25% damage when used on a single target (up from 2/4/6/8/10%) and has a 1/2/3/4/5 second shorter cooldown if used on two different targets (up from .5/1/1.5/2/2.5).
    Elemental Empowerment: Warped Magics now deals 100% of Weapon Damage each tick (up from 50%). Creeping Frost now deals 170% of Weapon Damage each tick (up from 85%).
    Assailing Force: ICD reduced to 5 seconds (down from 15 seconds).

Renegade:
    Nightmare Wizardry: When you critically strike a foe you have a 4/8/12/16/20% chance (up from 1/2/3/4/5%) to grant you and your allies Combat Advantage against the target for 12 seconds.
    Phantasmal Destruction: Now has a 40% chance to activate (up from 25%).
    Chaos Magic: Chaotic Nexus now grants 10% Armor Penetration and Critical Chance (up from 5%).
    Chaos Magic: Chaotic Fury now grants 10% increased damage and 5% direct Life Steal (rather than adjusting your stats).

These changes should move much more of the performance into the feat trees, allowing Wizards to use their feats to more accurately define their performance and style of play.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
  • Options
    myvain7myvain7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited July 2014
    The changes or rework made for each powers have not been modified in the character sheet.
    It's difficult to know what has changed over weeks.

Can we have an updated first page please ?
    Chaotic neutral - so i can do whatever the hell i want
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, I wanted to drop in and share a few more changes that will be hitting in the next week or two.

We still want Wizards to feel like a viable DPS class while they are specced into Thaumatuge (and a bit more group utility focused in Renegade) so we are making some buffs to feats in those trees to reinforce that.

Thaumaturge:
    Transcended Master: Shard of the Endless Avalanche now deals an additional 5/10/15/20/25% damage (up from 2/4/6/8/10%). Icy Rays now deals an additional 5/10/15/20/25% damage when used on a single target (up from 2/4/6/8/10%) and has a 1/2/3/4/5 second shorter cooldown if used on two different targets (up from .5/1/1.5/2/2.5).
    Elemental Empowerment: Warped Magics now deals 100% of Weapon Damage each tick (up from 50%). Creeping Frost now deals 170% of Weapon Damage each tick (up from 85%).

Renegade:
    Nightmare Wizardry: When you critically strike a foe you have a 4/8/12/16/20% chance (up from 1/2/3/4/5%) to grant you and your allies Combat Advantage against the target for 12 seconds.
    Chaos Magic: Chaotic Nexus now grants 10% Armor Penetration and Critical Chance (up from 5%).
    Chaos Magic: Chaotic Fury now grants 10% increased damage and 5% direct Life Steal (rather than adjusting your stats).

These changes should move much more of the performance into the feat trees, allowing Wizards to use their feats to more accurately define their performance and style of play.

Those will definitely make the Thaumaturge tree much more viable. Also I know that there are several renegade types who will appreciate reverting Nightmare Wizardry back to its original value. What made that overpowered in the beginning was being able to pair eye of the storm (and all of its crits) with Nightmare Wizardry to get near-constant combat advantage. Now that eye of the storm is fixed it isn't nearly as lethal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thaumaturge:

Renegade:

These are great changes. I think it will be enough judging from my tests. However 20% chance for 12 seconds of combat advantage is too long, it will pretty much grant perma CA for everything, i think tone it down to 6 seconds, would be more balanced.

Crush would you be able to elaborate on why single target spells have had their damage reduced? entangling force, ray of enfeeblement. and how do you plan to address the PvP issues? A PvP wizard must sacrifice alot of damage already in order to compete/stay alive.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dolour79 wrote: »
    noone ever slotted conduit of ice for damage, you pick it for the thaum-debuff.
    redesigning the feat, without granting the spell an built in debuff, will eliminate its purpose totally.

Um..CoI did A LOT of damage, even more so when you put it on Tab. People absolutely slotted it for damage. Behind Sudden Storm and Shard, it's probably one of our highest damage encounters.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Didn't Chaos Magic used to affect other people in a group as well? If Renegade is meant to provide "group utility", shouldn't the group buff aspect of it be returned? I doubt another other class is going to complain that CWs buffed them too much.

If possible, make it an "aura" effect so that people standing near the CW benefit as well.
  • Options
    yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug : Tier 5 Paragon Feats

After extensive testing i can confirm that tier 5 Paragon Feats,such as assailant force,from all trees are no longer selectable. For some reason when i respec my character i can no longer choose any of the final feats.This bug appeared after the latest patch. Also if i transfer a character from Live to preview,who has one the final feats,they simply don't work. I tested this with assailing force and shatter strike.

Edit : After watching more closely i found out that there is a +/- button,which is too minute to notice,since it is hidden behind the Feat Icon. However unlike other Feats,tier 5 feats are not selectable if you click on their Icon.That can lead to confusion and misunderstandings,so please either bring the + /- buttons at the front and under the icon(not lost behind it) or make it so that their icons are selectable by clicking on them.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • Options
    jagerblue2jagerblue2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug : Tier 5 Paragon Feats

After extensive testing i can confirm that tier 5 Paragon Feats,such as assailant force,from all trees are no longer selectable. For some reason when i respec my character i can no longer choose any of the final feats.This bug appeared after the latest patch. Also if i transfer a character from Live to preview,who has one the final feats,they simply don't work. I tested this with assailing force and shatter strike.
    The +\- button is BEHIND the graphic, so you need to look closely and click around where it should be(maybe a little lower) and it will select.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Bug : Furious Immolation / Twisting Immolation

Twisting Immolation Feat,at 5 points doesn't add 4 seconds of daze to Furious Immolation Daily power. I tested this on Dread Ring and no mob was Dazed at any time.
  • Options
    jayrad8jayrad8 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: This power has had its base impact damage reduced by roughly 33%.
    Shard of the Endless Avalanche: This power has had its explosion damage reduced by roughly 60%.

To my knowledge, the base impact damage does not currently benefit from armor pen on live so with that fix you're looking at 20%+ more damage that is now completely negated by the 33% reduction. I think this could be scaled back a lot (10-15%), since it was not the slam/impact damage that was the main problem.

I believe the explosion damage does already benefit from armor pen on live so that fix will not change anything, but a 60% reduction really kills the encounter for single target use (PvP). I think the mechanics of landing the slam on another player, and subsequently the explosion, should be considered. It is currently a high risk, high reward combo but with this damage reduction the reward is no longer there except for about 2.5 seconds of added prone time. If the logic was something like, increase the prone duration to give more CC but at the expense of damage, I would much rather have a different balance between the two such as 1.5s prone and a lesser damage reduction.

I would suggest that instead of the flat 60% reduction in damage to the explosion, the damage can scale with the number of targets hit in order to leave viability for single target use and scale back large PvE damage on mob groups. For example, on live a 100k+ explosion crit will hit the same whether on five targets or one, which could be changed to distribute the total damage evenly on the five target group for ~20k damage each, while a single target would still receive 100k damage.

In my opinion, it would make sense to have a greater reward for landing the explosion on single targets since it requires more skill.

Shard Bugs

Moving through groups of mobs and people with no damage or prone effect
    Sticking to new and old terrain -- huge problem in IWP and DV. Walls in PvP maps, node markers in GG, etc.
    Deflected slam translates to deflected explosion
    Animation lag

Edit:
    Transcended Master: Shard of the Endless Avalanche now deals an additional 5/10/15/20/25% damage (up from 2/4/6/8/10%).

Well, now my post is less relevant but please think about the multi/single target idea!

Thank you for the thaum and rene changes!
    Ezra@jayrad8 | M4 CW Class Advocate
    twitch.tv/ezracw | absolutegaming.guildportal.com
    #BringBackShard | M5 CW Bug List | My M3 PvP Gameplay
    PpkM0MK.png

• Options
    edited July 2014
    After watching more closely,as you suggested, i found the +/- button,which is too minute to notice,as it is hidden behind the feat icon. However unlike other Feats,tier 5 feats are not selectable if you click on their Icon.That can lead to confusion and misunderstandings,so please either bring the + /- buttons at the front or make it so that their icons are selectable by clicking on them.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Thaumaturge:

Renegade:

Lol! Did you read my post right above you? You did that just for me didn't you? :3

You're awesome.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I wish you'd compare new changes to live, instead of to your latest change. It gets pretty confusing trying to remember each change.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes! Thank you for keeping Renegades viable.

But holy monkey nuts, 10% crit chance for chaos nexus? I would say that might make charisma stackers a little too potent.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I really don't like the animation when my toon stops running. It looks as if my Avatar is constipating when i stop running and he leans forward like that.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cw still dose way to much dps today in new dungeon cw did 2 x better then gwfs i had in team u need to toon it down some more or wont change anything and we will still have cw stacked teams
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014

Thanks for the update GCrush.
    As much as I love Nightmare Wizardry I am a bit concerned this could negatively impact the improvments to GF's marks giving combat advantage especially being such a low tiered feat that most every wizard took anyway. On top of that it will be much easier for a wizard to consistently apply nightmare wizardry (given the 12 second duration) compared to the very temporary staus effect of marks that the GF has.

I don't want to cry nerf but perhaps instead of combat advantage this power could give a damage debuff for a better interaction between the classes?
    IMO that would help the cleric heal and help the GF survive the increased threat generation.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    cw still dose way to much dps today in new dungeon cw did 2 x better then gwfs i had in team u need to toon it down some more or wont change anything and we will still have cw stacked teams
    Then you obviously haven't tested enough ,because it takes me twice as long to kill things, in IWD, than before and i'm a 17k+ Cw
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    As much as I love Nightmare Wizardry I am a bit concerned this could negatively impact the improvments to GF's marks giving combat advantage especially being such a low tiered feat that most every wizard took anyway. On top of that it will be much easier for a wizard to consistently apply nightmare wizardry (given the 12 second duration) compared to the very temporary staus effect of marks that the GF has.

I don't want to cry nerf but perhaps instead of combat advantage this power could give a damage debuff for a better interaction between the classes?
    IMO that would help the cleric heal and help the GF survive the increased threat generation.

agreed this feat needs to be changed to 5% damage buff for team members form combat advantge this would make feat more balanced atm is op for so low in tree
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Then you obviously haven't tested enough ,because it takes me twice as long to kill things, in IWD, than before and i'm a 17k+ Cw

and gwf cant stay and fight anymore or is dead so its damage is a lot lower in the end to
  • Options
    edited July 2014

As much as it pains me to admit this, I think I agree. Being able to grab Nightmare Wizardry and keep it up and running no matter which tree I'm on has been one of my guilty pleasures. It's such a damage boost. If that feat were moved up to the third or fourth tier of the Renegade tree then CW's wouldn't be able to "double dip" by grabbing the capstone feat of the Oppressor tree or Thaumaturge tree AND still get Nightmare Wizardry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    and gwf cant stay and fight anymore or is dead so its damage is a lot lower in the end to
    I'm not gonna go into a class nerf/buff discussion here,so i'll only say this: If you think that cws need to be unplayable just to satisfy some kind of grudge ,then you are way out of place. It's like asking for your neighbors house to burn because you can't own one like it. And in case you wonder, nerfing a class to oblivion is not balancing in any way,and also Gwfs out dps me,on paingiver stat, on many occasions,but you don't see me asking to nerf them.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    As much as it pains me to admit this, I think I agree. Being able to grab Nightmare Wizardry and keep it up and running no matter which tree I'm on has been one of my guilty pleasures. It's such a damage boost. If that feat were moved up to the third or fourth tier of the Renegade tree then CW's wouldn't be able to "double dip" by grabbing the capstone feat of the Oppressor tree or Thaumaturge tree AND still get Nightmare Wizardry.

Though my current build utilises this, I agree keep it as combat advantage (so you can get benefit from charisma.) but move it further up the tree to make renegades more unique, that will leave thaum as a personal dps tree.

Also Magic missile damage nerf needs to be reverted, currently after my tests chilling cloud does 20% more damage than magic missile on a single target (this is with arcane stacks).
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm not gonna go into a class nerf/buff discussion here,so i'll only say this: If you think that cws need to be unplayable just to satisfy some kind of grudge ,then you are way out of place. It's like asking for your neighbors house to burn because you can't own one like it. And in case you wonder, nerfing a class to oblivion is not balancing in any way,and also Gwfs out dps me,on paingiver stat, on many occasions,but you don't see me asking to nerf them.

but what did they achived with new balance if cw will still easy dominate paingiver ?what was the point of changes if not to finaly stop cw stacking in team
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    but what did they achived with new balance if cw will still easy dominate paingiver ?what was the point of changes if not to finaly stop cw stacking in team
    That's the point,don't you get it? Post nerfs cws won't and don't dominate anything. They are already weak in pvp and now they'll be weak in pve as well. I no longer pvp,as a cw, because of this.Also you have to take into account that there is a new dps caster class that, once on live server, will compete with cws in teams. If you consider all these things then further nerfing cws is unfair. Also like i said before ,many Gwfs out perform me,but you don't hear me being a cry baby about it or ask for nerfs. Also Hunter rangers out dps me.....so what,i don't complain about it either. If i feel wronged somehow,i'll simply roll a Warlock or a Gwf,or any other class i feel like it, and keep on enjoying the game.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    grimah wrote: »
    Though my current build utilises this, I agree keep it as combat advantage (so you can get benefit from charisma.) but move it further up the tree to make renegades more unique, that will leave thaum as a personal dps tree.

Also Magic missile damage nerf needs to be reverted, currently after my tests chilling cloud does 20% more damage than magic missile on a single target (this is with arcane stacks).

Thirding the emotions here. It's a great feat, but too powerful for a T2 feat. Essentially, I'd make it mandatory (pretty much like it is now) in all my builds, as for 10 points invested, it's very, very good.

I'd swap this with Phantasmal Destruction. That would keep more team damage buffing in the Renegade tree, and you'd basically make it pretty unique.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I don't want to cry nerf but perhaps instead of combat advantage this power could give a damage debuff for a better interaction
    Or maybe the other way around, where Nightmare Wizardry can keep the combat advantage and GF mark debuffs target or something? Jusy saying. :)

Feedback: Chill: While a foe is affected by Shattered or the Stun from Shatter Strike they cannot be afflicted with stacks of Chill.

So now this Keystone is directly conflicting with the purpose of Blighting Power, Bitter cold, Chilling control, Cold infusion, Alacrity, Glacial movement, Chilling presence(Class feature) and the secondary effects keystone itself. Yes, almost the entire oppressor tree is now rendered useless because of this.
    If you picked any of the above mentioned feats (which you have to if you're going oppressor) the moment shatter's stun procs you lose all stacks of chill on target and ALL the bonus damage/utility you get from those feats.

This is probably the most counter-intuitive feat in the entire game right now. You specced oppressor to stack chill and deal more damage to chilled targets? TOO BAD, cuz the stupid stun procced and now you're dealing HALF the damage to enemies and the moment the stun ends your target will jump to you and maul your squishy face because the movespeed debuff from chill stacks is also gone.

What exactly are we trying to achieve with this? Can't you just make targets immune to freeze for next x seconds after shatter stun while keeping chill stacks if you dont want us to perma-stun/freeze?
  • Options
    hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My question is: Why would anyone bring a CW to a PvP match instead of a Warlock?
    The renegade/Thaum is not dealing more damage than a Warlock.

And Oppressor has no damage and not enough control to make of for the damage nerfs.

The CW on live is the weakest and the most unwanted class in a PvP match (except for GF). And with these changes its even worse and now we have a new damage class that will also compete for the spot.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
This discussion has been closed.