Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Great Weapon Fighter Changes

Comments

• Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    This means that a Destroyer going INTO a fight still maintains good tankiness until he builds stacks which is THEN a tradeoff between tankiness versus DR. This KEEPS Unstoppable for INSTIGATORS.

THEN you can look at adding the DR to sprint AND the IMMUNITY to sprint in INSTIGATOR path.

Shoot that capstone could EASILY be:
    Sprint now Grants CC Immunity and X% DR while sprinting. Also you gain 15% Bonus damage for X seconds AFTER being hit. This means INSTIGATOR is in between the two damage wise and tankiness wise...

I do like the idea of instigator getting the CC immunity.

But i have to disagree that destroyer NEED 30%, destroyer should have to do some work when dpsing, with the sprint DR, all you need to do is pop unstoppable -> sprint out of red and continue dpsing.

In dungeons the GF or CW will control the mobs so you can dps without going splat.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    What if Instigator's capstone provides a damage buff, based on the level of Determination, making it a "try not to use Unstoppable" spec.
  • Options
    only1klonly1kl Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2014
    <Mods - dont delete this, people need to see this>

Ok, its pretty obvious you dont play a GWF because you dont understand the HOW or WHY to what your saying, merely describing the WHAT. Here is what I mean by this.

You say GWFs are extremely tanky - do you know WHY they are extremely tanky? Thats the issue is the WHY not the WHAT. Its posts like this that cause the balance issues in the game, when players who play classes and say they need a tone down (like me) and say exactly HOW it can be done and WHY it should be done, are accomanied by players who just post WHAT the current version is, with no respect to WHY which causes DEVs to over nerf what shouldnt be.

Destroyers - ALREADY lost significant defense for bonus damage
    Sentinels - ALREADY lost damage for significant defense.
    Instigators - ah who am I kidding, there are none of these....

So WHY do Destroyers seem so tanky? Its simple...

PVE: They can significantly outgear dungeons, making the NEED for the extra defense that Sentinels give obsolete. Introduce harder dungeons, player who are Destroyer have to choose again between the tradeoffs.

PVP: Destroyers took advantage of a few things: 1) Roar 2 sec stun - surpases immunity. 2) Roar/takedown got a 50% reduced CD 3) Unstoppable Recovery (Sent T1 feat) ANYONE who is good in pvp took this feat - didnt respect healing depression. These three things made for a perfect storm.

- Roar went from a 12-13 sec CD down to 8. Takedown down to 6, this enabled for essentially a "stun lock" GWF who could dish out alot of damage. Oh your eating too much damage? Roar stun, takedown stun, you just got about 4 second of not taking damage.
    - THEN you also gain determination from roar, which THEN allowed you to use unstoppable MORE often which THEN healed you for DOUBLE what its supposed to.

Do you see the problems?

Removing Roar stun, forces more players to slot things like frontline surge which has double the CD and produces little to NO determination. Which THEN gives them less unstoppable less often when THEN even when they pop it, will heal HALF as much.

So what does the new "META" look like?

Destroyer- Wield a 2h weapon but wear cloth armor.
    Sentinel- Wield a Wet Noodle, but wear plate armor.

The issue is its now TOO much of either one option... What they NEED to do is tone both back more into the middle ground.

Destroyers - NEED to be able to take damage, less than Sents, but deal more damage.
    Sentinels - NEED to be able to dish damage, less than Destroyers, but take more damage.

So. My post was not clear at all apparently, for which I apologize. Ayroux, I am not going to address the tone with which you responded. I did not lash out, name call or be little anyone else's experience. You are clearly frustrated and I will leave it at that. Do NOT push it.

With that aside, I will clarify. In my first sentence, I agreed with everyone's suggestions to what the class needs. Everyone's points were valid theoretically and conceptually but some weren't focusing on the problem. Instead they countered the proposal with other sweeping changes that they feel the class should go. My post describing, as you put it, WHAT the class is and becoming was valid.

I do play GWF but one with a sub 11k Gear score. I took my time leveling it. I didn't post it because, like you have just shown, gear score means everything to the forum community. You would immediately discredit what I said because I am not "experienced enough". To be frank, in this situation I am more aware of what the changes will do than people who have 14k+ gs. It would make leveling hell with it's current skill set and play style. Which I was driving at with my post.

Grimah, hit the nail on the head with his suggestions. The changes are too severe for it to go in as is for someone leveling or someone like me who have low survivability due to not having prime stats. They are trying to define the roles of the GWF but making it base line is too soon with the skill setup currently in the game. Making the capstone define each role would make more sense but it still leaves leveling up as a tank or dps a chore. But the suggestions are heading in the prime direction.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    grimah wrote: »
    I do like the idea of instigator getting the CC immunity.

But i have to disagree that destroyer NEED 30%, destroyer should have to do some work when dpsing, with the sprint DR, all you need to do is pop unstoppable -> sprint out of red and continue dpsing.

In dungeons the GF or CW will control the mobs so you can dps without going splat.

I agree they have to do some work, 15-30% doesnt mean 30%, most often they only have half a bar - to build or keep unstop stacks up. rarely will a GWF save unstoppable for a full 30%.

So 15% to me seems reasonable.

I think Insta should have both the DR and CC immunity and Sent/Dest shouldnt have any other benefit to sprint. It makes Sents TOO tanky and doesnt honestly help Destroyers out much.

The issue in PVE like I said is most geared players who see who do face tank, do so because they outgear content. Or heck, maybe they are even PVP geared.

Alot of PVE Destroyers ive seen speccing for damage though have half the HP and 2/3rds the DR... These are the Destroyers that I worry about who ARE gearscore appropriate who now cant even get hit to pop unstoppable because it doesnt do enough.

Even at 15% DR, thats a 40% nerf to Unstoppable and I highly doubt youll see destroyers "not working" when it comes to DPSing. IMO Id still propose changing Unstoppable Recovery to like 10% additional Temp HP instead of a 5% perma heal - This is partly why they can take so much damage and rebound is the self healing they get.
  • Options
    saini50990saini50990 Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    IMO Id still propose changing Unstoppable Recovery to like 10% additional Temp HP instead of a 5% perma heal - This is partly why they can take so much damage and rebound is the self healing they get.
    wow u just suggested more ridiculous nerf , u should look at the GWF in preview 1st , also unstoppable recovery is used by PVP players , and in mod 4 it will be following healing depression , normally a PVP GWF has near 40k health and they heal 2k HP from it but after healing depression it will only give 1k or so also whats the point of giving temporary health which we already get from unstoppable.
    its just plain ridiculous.
    on the contrary they should give GWF heal over time.
  • Options
    fgbrooksfgbrooks Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think thats a clever solution although I STILL think the 10-20% is TOO much... THis NEEDs to be about 15-30% is honestly the "sweet spot".

Honestly an easy way to work this is:
    Destroyers Purpose: Each stack of Dstroyers Purpose increases your damage by 2% but DECREASES Unstoppable's EFFECTIVENESS by 2% (multiplied). Stacks 20 times.

So what this would look like:

ZERO stacks: UNSTOPPABLE 25-50%. ZERO damage bonus.
    5 stacks: 10% DAMAGE BONUS, 10% LESS EFFECTIVE UNSTOPAPBLE: 25%(.9) - 50%(.9) = 22.5% - 45%
    10 stacks: 20% damage bonus, 20% less effective Unstop: 25%(.8) - 50%(.8) = 20% - 40%
    20 stacks(MAX): 40% damage bonus, 40% less effective: 25%(.6) - 50%(.6) = 15-30%

This means that a Destroyer going INTO a fight still maintains good tankiness until he builds stacks which is THEN a tradeoff between tankiness versus DR. This KEEPS Unstoppable for INSTIGATORS.

THEN you can look at adding the DR to sprint AND the IMMUNITY to sprint in INSTIGATOR path.

Shoot that capstone could EASILY be:
    Sprint now Grants CC Immunity and X% DR while sprinting. Also you gain 15% Bonus damage for X seconds AFTER being hit. This means INSTIGATOR is in between the two damage wise and tankiness wise...

Outstanding suggestion. I totally agree.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    fgbrooks wrote: »

This is actually a really good idea. Your endless theorycrafting finally paid off Ayro
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Now I'm sad that no one reads my posts, as I suggested this 5 pages back. :P
  • Options
    germmaniacgermmaniac Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    fgbrooks wrote: »

Agreed. However, no idea how difficult this would be to program these changes into the game.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No it isn't. It's ****ing stupid.
  • Options
    effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    i see sentinel aegist now gives 40-80% damage resistance, so can you post the new updates for gwF?
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ok, I give up. I will give my ******* feedback

Later was made ​​a differentiation between iv gwf / gf, and this resulted in iv nerfs for defensive base of gwf (gwf / sm was only fine in your proper niche).

Now that iv got a "differential treatment" - read, gwf have the worst paragons - I really hope to see a REAL damage boost for the sword master. I do not control, I'm not "tank", my tab is bad now, all that gwf / sm have now is dps.

Request A INHERENT Staying Power of wms, not something that requires 5 important points of the tree (which was always the problem of wms) is not much.

Done, turn the old feet of Staying Power in some bonus for steel blitz. the rating/damage is low, this has always been the subject of complaint.

are two birds in one shot.

ps: I really hope this aesthetic change in female walking / sprint of the gwf is a bug and not an attempt to make the warlock looks less ridiculous.

ps 2: I held a few times for not scolding ayroux and his ideas about class balance, but now this was perfect. listen to this. the gwf is a defender by nature. the destroyer is a defender who sacrificed your defence for damage, after all, "The Destroyer is a torrent of unfettered rage and anger". make sense and is aesthetically amazing.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i see sentinel aegist now gives 40-80% damage resistance, so can you post the new updates for gwF?

They really missed what I thought was an obvious thing to adjust... I just lowered my base DR to 3%, got full unstoppable, and checked how much damage I received from enemies. The result: 20% damage. I'm simply amazed.

Unstoppable for Sentinel now give 50-100% DR, congratulations!
  • Options
    thyralionthyralion Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why can´t you simply reduce the tenacity effect for gwf by a certain number and leave it be, if they´re too tanky in pvp make them less tanky in pvp? The changes to skills are fine, nerf them in pvp, but unstoppable?
    Why is your idea of balancing a class in pvp always completely <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up it´s mechanics?

When did anyone ever complain about a gwf surviving a pve-boss fight for too long?

But just go ahead, remove survivabilty without fixing wicked strike rubberbanding or finally giving gwf an immunity-evade, we´ve had our good share of fun at the frontline. Could we then maybe get our old tenebrous enchants back please, so the meat shield specc will work again?

Oh and did I get this right, you want us to take more damage and then do this:
    Powers

Mark: Mark will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list.
    ?

IBS? core destroyer dps skill? Are you serious?
  • Options
    nachoalvesnachoalves Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As an avid pvpier i did my testing (on destroyer path and senti) against same GS oponents of all classes(16k), and my conclusions are the following:

Roar: the nerf was much needed

Marks: Good

Takedown: Ok to the stun, but why the -30% dmg?

FS: Removing the phrone of this now makes the GWF the only class without any tool to do CC..

UNSTOPPABLE: it's ok if u wanna nerf it, this forces GWF's to go full sentinel if they wanna pvp, cuz its the class that cannot dodge attacks, don't have guard/stealth/teleport and they have to be the damage focus on every node since they have to locate aside the opponent to land satisfactorily a IBS.

Threatening Rush: With this "at-will" limited and without CC i felt that i couldn't catch anything, BAD change, this is going to be the final touch to totally kill the class, cuz the only thing left was mobility and we cannot only survive or kill sprinting.. in mod3 i personally used it by combining it a lot with sprint to move around the opponent and not to pursuit CWs. I think as someone said the problem with this was the animation.

Now.. to be honest, the only class i could kill was another GWF.
    HR's just laughed at me with their crazy dodge mechanics and crazy regeneration, also i couldn't survive their DOT even in sent path.
    GF's with 50k HP dealing more dmg than me, with phrone and with guard.. the only thing i could do was make my painfull dead last longer with restoring strike.
    TR's with perma and imposible to catch, missed 70% of my stuns, never had a chance to do on them a full rotation.
    CW's they dodged me 85% of my stuns, pushing me with repel and with my threatening rush limited i wasn't able to land 1 IBS on them.

Final conclutions: i feel u need to opt to go with the unstoppable nerf or the CC(phrones) nerf, not both nerfs at the same time.

Thanks devs for reading this and i apoligize for my bad english, hope u do the right thing.
  • Options
    murmazmurmaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    clonkyo1 wrote: »
    Translation: i never, ever, played as a GWF OR if i actually played it, i will make no sense about im talking about as non-gwp-players do on this thread...

Well, if these aren't the cases about you, then, explain me (better to us) how this is even logic, because you, basically, are saying "ey! these nerfs are all right but i cant do a thing but you are on the right path even if i just can kill 1 other class out from 6!!!!".

Translation: You are an absolute tool. He makes perfect sense and if you've ever played GWF you would understand why the planned nerfs are going to cripple class.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Its just as I said. Without prones. Great Weapon Fighters dont have a method to actually land a hit unless they use ambush tactics, but after they do actually land a successful hit, they're done. Cause thier unstoppable doesnt defend them good enough. (for destroyer)

Sentinal used to be able to delay people with the prones. Now they're just a walking peice of meat that flails a stick around some of the time.

They should never have removed the prones and instead make them abide by CC resist as they should have. Even if the animation will look wonky when less than .66 seconds. that bides time to grant a hit, with also the chance of the person taking the hit to be able to break thier CC chain.

Without roar, theres no way we can combat distant targets. The only problem I ever had with roar was that it went through cc immunity. What they should have done with Roar was left it alone or if they had to change it, let the effect stay the same but drastically lowered the closer you are to the user, full benefit the farther you are away(which would do the same it does now) since now GWF's have to use sprint more and threatening rush spamming is no longer a thing for GWFs. (which I am glad )

Right now it just feels like GWF's got into a car accident and going on crutches and a caste.
  • Options
    arcillusarcillus Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think you guys you should leave GWF alone completely and just incorporate a better pvp pairing system. This can be done by creating something called Player Score "PS", that is based on how well someone performs in pvp. And that matches should be based on pairing people with the same PS together, that way you don't have to worry about the 16K+GS GWF,TR,DC,HR,ETC, totally overpowering noobs with lower GS.

As a 15k+GS GWF that gets paired with people with 9k to 10k GS evertime and go against a team of pre-mades with 16k+ GS, this new system would benefit everyone.
  • Options
    ninefingers222ninefingers222 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    arcillus wrote: »
    I think you guys you should leave GWF alone completely and just incorporate a better pvp pairing system. This can be done by creating something called Player Score "PS", that is based on how well someone performs in pvp. And that matches should be based on pairing people with the same PS together, that way you don't have to worry about the 16K+GS GWF,TR,DC,HR,ETC, totally overpowering noobs with lower GS.

As a 15k+GS GWF that gets paired with people with 9k to 10k GS evertime and go against a team of pre-mades with 16k+ GS, this new system would benefit everyone.

Thats pretty much what they did, its called ELO, look how well thats working ...
    Essence of Aggression, OG PvP GWF
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    good luck guys , i just deleted my GWF PVP toon and killed him myself b4 cryptic kills him.
    my GWF cant survive against other class in preview(DC as an exception but cant kill DC too).
    *against equally geared opponents.(18k+)
    HR - survival time 45 sec
    GF - survival time 2 min 20 sec
    TR - survival time 2 min 47 sec
    CW- survival time 1 min 35 sec

no cockatrice on both side , my health is 46k in open PVP.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That's a pretty dumb thing to do, considering the changes are not final and lots of more changes might be coming before it hits live.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    That's a pretty dumb thing to do, considering the changes are not final and lots of more changes might be coming before it hits live.
    with 4 weeks left and i think it will be anything but favorable , i will just PVE form now , PVP will still suck so no use of toon who will just go and die. :) i have no regrets about it , i still have PVE toon and will try SW .
  • Options
    nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    saini50990 wrote: »
    good luck guys , i just deleted my GWF PVP toon and killed him myself b4 cryptic kills him.

blabla dont believe you - and that you just delete your halfling GWF because its not a killing machine anymore shows how you like to play your class.

There are ups and downs sometimes - relax
  • Options
    effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    there are other builds that can be born even from ashes..

crush, did you fixed the damage gwf do to Warlocks? it always show 0000000
  • Options
    zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nurmood wrote: »
    blabla dont believe you - and that you just delete your halfling GWF because its not a killing machine anymore shows how you like to play your class.

not have to be "ups and downs", there has to be a pattern in which the player feel comfortable playing your class.

I must be super tank while gwf, and have a super damage while destroyer.

this projection is expected of the class (description, you can read). Now that "less control"/one - bad - paragon, or need to be MUCH more resistant, or have a much higher damage. lost both.

if this was to promote the "gf while tank" was shot in the water that this insane 3.5 sec prone cw (=10.5 sec with 3 cw... why you need a gf?) and the damage is being returned.

I hope my unstoppable again AND 20% more damage in the GWF BASE. conservative numbers. and still a nerf in relation to gwf that was at the beginning of of module 3 before adjusting the "bugs" tested and approved previously.

ps: back to angry posts ... is absurd need to do these things for not having your charater destroyed (like in module 1).
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    nurmood wrote: »

i have seen fair mount amount of ups and down and this 1 is pretty big , and yea i dont like the changes so i deleted my toon , beside ur comment about killing machine a sent gwf is not even able to land any good attack to even stun any class , killing them is different matter its not even surviving 1v1 how can GWF survive in PVP domination where GWF is only rusher available while other class attack from range , even b4 u come in there range u gets stunned by them , already 25% health depletes till u come in there range and they just back off , so better to delete then die pathetically , well we will see what u will do in PVP ,if u have GWF with current updates.
  • Options
    cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    feedback sprint:
    since IV path for GWF is kinda dead cause TR have only 3 charges almost no dmg and 9 sec cd,fs have no dmg, please incrase the sprint regeneration for GWFs there is no way a GWF can reach HR or CW with swordmaster paragon path
    Feedback Swordmaster:
    Weapon Master Strike needs like 30-40% incr in dmg, current dmg of this atwill is laughable
    Flourish needs CC immunity on cast or faster animation,right now it takes too long to fully cast the skill and on top of that u can get CCed in middle of it and also its really easy to miss with it