test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(Ant-Monster) Guardian Fighter Review

Comments

• aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Fighter's Recovery grants 100% health return (if you have 3 pts in it), based on ALL damage dealt while the daily is active.
    Villain's Menace unleashes a wrath like non other, damaging all foes to be hit by it's destructive power because you pist off the GF for harming his/her people.

Solutions:
    1. Unlimited Guard; is by far one of the best options. But I'm sure it's overlooked by Devs because they think GF's would just sit on PvP nodes all day, never dying, causing an imbalance in PvP because they "can't be killed," bla bla bla, GF's overpowered

My point is this... Giving GF's unlimited guard will NOT make us OP. Not only that, but the royal crown of the "Tank" will be returned back to it's rightful owners (the GF's). Right now the GWF's are the "real" tanks of the game, and do not rightfully deserve to be.

2. Higher Damage Resistance; is also a really good solution. To be honest, I'm shocked we don't have a very unique damage resistance from the rest of the classes. As of right now, most GF's can get about 45-53% damage resistance. That's ALL!?? The GF should have at least 60-70% damage resistance. And if the unlimited guard meter was implemented into the game, that would make Iron Warrior useless. So what if Iron Warrior increased damage resistance temporarily instead of boosting guard meter? If these suggestions were applied, the Guardian Fighter would DEFINITELY live up to it's reputation of being the TANK. I completely understand why we don't have high damage, but what I don't understand is why isn't this balanced by having high damage resistance?

3. Iron Warrior; could make your guard meter indestructible for 8 seconds instead of just making it stronger.

4. Remove or increase the hit caps on Frontline Surge & Enforce Threat.

Tenacity!:

But to get back to the point, Tenacity was NOT needed. Only minor adjustments.

As for the Dailies:
    It would even be good, to combine Villain's Menace with Fighter's Recovery, giving the GF a sort of "Unstoppable" in which Damage Reduction got replaced by high Life Steal.

As for the Guard Meter:
    Unlimited Guard could be a bit too much of a change for the block mechanism, but a mechanism like Stamina - as already proposed in this forum - sounds like a good alternative, as it would help against spike damage while keeping the need to think twice what to block.

As for Damage Resistance:
    Either better stats and dminishing return for Deflection or more Damage Restistance to compensate would be more logical - particularly the latter - for a class with the heaviest armour type of all.

As for Tenacity:
    It simply does nothing except benefitting players with PvP equipment in PvP: it is simply because every class got the same amount of Tenacity, and as stated it was not meant to make one class more tankier than another it was simply meant to prolong the fight without the need to alter the powers themselves.

As for attention:
    Noone should every expect that officials readily answer or participate in a conversation because someone invested hours in a post: there is other stuff to do, they have a life and some answers (should) take time. We live not in paradise, it is not astonishing.
  • sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Consider this my disclaimer ^^ I'm pretty much still a novice in terms of builds, so i'm speaking just from personal experience when i write this, I'm not saying its going to be true of everyone

I've played a GF since I joined a year ago and despite their let downs, especially in PVP, its still my favorite class.
    PVE content i find its great, you dont need the support of a team for general pve stuff, you can pretty much go it alone for most situations. In dungeon runs, I often find the case to be that with a GF along, your team, overall, dies less and takes less damage - obvious reason being the GF attracts a lot of the damage and attention and that is my mind is what they are for.

PVP as it goes, i dont have a big problem with pvp. You die a lot and may not have the biggest kill score, but GF's have the potential to come out top of the table each time through pure stubbornness and durability. It's not a class i'd recommend to those with no patience, because at the end of the day they don't deal much damage, so killing someone 1 on 1 can often take time.

I've built my GF from a DPS angle using various guides and find its neither bad nor good, but honestly, in 1 on 1 pvp the only two classes I can't stand against the majority of the time are other GF's, just based on how long it takes and my general lack of patience :P and control wizards for obvious reasons. People keep telling me to get a GWF and i recently made one to see what all the fuss is about, but I can still kill them in pvp 1 on 1 the majority of the time. Maybe once I get mine to lvl 60 and get it a decent gear set I'll be more impressed, but I found going through the PVE content a lot easier with my GF than with my recent GWF, but in reverse the GWF is progressing faster just based on how fast she kills *shrug*. I still prefer my GF.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• dissssppppdisssspppp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wildfire5 wrote: »
    ... It's not ridiculous. Those extra power points are technically given to your because of your ability tree. Your gear score is supposed to be a reflection of your gear, not your overall combat prowess. They should not count towards your gear score because your gear is not actually better because of it.

Yes, your point IS ridiculous. What you're effectively saying is you should judge a 15k GF the same as a 15k GF+ stone because the stone doesn't reflect in the gear score, regardless of the fact that a stone literally gives you 2500+ more stat points. Power is power is power. No one is trying to pretend that a 20k GS GF should be superior to a 15k GWF strictly because of the displayed gear score. My point was, them not displaying the effects of the ability on GS doesn't magically cause the points to go away or actually fix anything whatsoever as you were implying. You can take away the displayed points from the feat, and an equal gear score player will still blow the doors off a GF.
  • pife2pife2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wish to see a day where the GF have more feats for increase the critical chance because we only have a FEAT for critical, I wanna use vorpal naturally.
    Honestly the GWFs have everything, defense, deflection, high damage, critical strike,even they have more HP than GFs naturally, please we need balance!!
  • f2pmaf2pma Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    (<URGENT!!>CLICK HERE if you want to listen to the audio version instead of reading...)

Solutions:
    1. Unlimited Guard; is by far one of the best options. But I'm sure it's overlooked by Devs because they think GF's would just sit on PvP nodes all day, never dying, causing an imbalance in PvP because they "can't be killed," bla bla bla, GF's overpowered... I can list SEVERAL good reasons why this will be false.

why make such a big thread invest so much time and then write something like this lol
  • mehpvpmehmehpvpmeh Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    "Solutions:
    1. Unlimited Guard; is by far one of the best options. But I'm sure it's overlooked by Devs because they think GF's would just sit on PvP nodes all day, never dying, causing an imbalance in PvP because they "can't be killed," bla bla bla, GF's overpowered... I can list SEVERAL good reasons why this will be false.
    A). The GF's #1 threat in PvP is the Control Wizard. The CW has the ability to slow and freeze the GF using Ray of Frost even if the GF is guarding. Once the GF is frozen by the chill stacks, he's controllable. Typically the CW will freeze the GF, Entangling Force him/her, and then blow through their encounters and repeat the process.

B). The Great Weapon Fighter has the ability to Sprint. The GWF can easily sprint directly THROUGH the GF to get behind his shield and use Take Down or Frontline Surge to control the GF. It's happens to me very often.

C). Need I say it, Rogues can just go invisible and Smoke Bomb us, or Shadow Strike us which will briefly disorient the GF, or whatever they want.

D). Even other GF's can get behind enemy GF's shields by running directly through them. All it takes is skill and practice.

E). Hunter Ranger's have that one sneak attack that hits from behind and prones."

**Unlimited Guard would be beyond <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, hardtargetlock 1, tape your guard button down, go AFK. The only way to damage a GF would require 2 people or a stealth based TR.

A) CW would be the only class that can kill you, but they would have to be speced specifically to do so.

B) A GWF could not get behind your guard using sprint or anything else if you have him locked.

C) smoke bomb would be blocked. Doesn't matter where the encounter originates from it still gets blocked if it's an AoE. As I said above stealth based TR would have a slight chance to do damage every now and then, but not very much.

D) again, hard target lock, there's no chance.

E) I'm fairly certain you would snap to the HR before his prone hits, but even if it didn't, HR would have Prone, then Fox, then you're back up and blocking everything. There would be no chance for them.
  • f2pmaf2pma Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    perma cant do nothing to counter gf if he doesnt break his shield first .only pvorp tr with lashing which crit for 10 at best if he gets a lucky hit behind lol.
    cant belive people asking for this stuff lol
  • hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    f2pma wrote: »
    perma cant do nothing to counter gf if he doesnt break his shield first .only pvorp tr with lashing which crit for 10 at best if he gets a lucky hit behind lol.

High level permas geared with perfect bilethorn throw daggers at range on a defending node GF.Bilethorn eats guard.guard is visible.
    After 5-6 secs your guard is out even with the 30% more guard sets.
    All that time permas build action points.When thier action point full ,your guard broken they pop out ITC and come to melee.
    you are dead.
    Or continue to bilethorn you from stealth until thier shocking execution is reay.
    You are dead again.
    edited May 2014
    f2pma wrote: »

Actually Stealth based, bile rogues will tear through you more quickly than any other class. You literally have zero chance if you are anywhere near equal gear/skill.

I really don't see how anyone can think otherwise? Are you just guessing when you make these statements? Cause if you actually play the game you MUST have run across a semi decent TR.

Vorpal TR? 10k crits? You do realize that Guard is Diminished by hit not damage right? The amount of the hit does not matter, it can be for 1 damage, or 1000, it takes the same amount.

Someone pull this mans posting rights, you sir are dangerous!
  • aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, regarding blocking, I favour a solution where the Guard is protected against spike damage or constant high or fast damage, it should last a bit longer as right now, other classes can render it near useless, especially TRs. The GF should also get more base HP, more Damage Resistance (via less diminishing return?), maybe not more Deflection Chance (GF wears plate armour), as his survivability is only meaningfully better the first seconds when the Guard Meter is not broken, but once broken he is sometimes much faster down than a GWF.
    Right now, other classes or mobs are able to dispose the tank too quickly.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mehpvpmeh wrote: »
    Actually Stealth based, bile rogues will tear through you more quickly than any other class. You literally have zero chance if you are anywhere near equal gear/skill.

I really don't see how anyone can think otherwise? Are you just guessing when you make these statements? Cause if you actually play the game you MUST have run across a semi decent TR.

Vorpal TR? 10k crits? You do realize that Guard is Diminished by hit not damage right? The amount of the hit does not matter, it can be for 1 damage, or 1000, it takes the same amount.

Someone pull this mans posting rights, you sir are dangerous!

Yes to this. A gf in pvp (i play one) is like a splinter. It gets under your skin and is annoying, sometimes hard to dislodge, but not really all that painful. Perma's simply stealth, drop pob, attack only when itc is up. You can beat dumb, or undergeared ones, but given all things equal, they are unbeatable. For the most part, my GF gets ignored by good players until they can focus her down.
  • lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, they're very tricky too fight. You have to catch them with Frontline while their invisible. One of the best ways to do so, is too wait for them to roll away after their last ITC Duelist Flurry combo. Aim ahead of where they went invisible and then release frontline, in most cases you will hit them. I highly recommend you don't use Bull Crghae on these types of TR's because of the fact you will be doing most of your damage to them while they're invisible. With that said, you can't use lunging strike on something you can't see, therefore you can't close the gap that Bull Charge would have created. These darn things are quite the tricksters I tellz'ya!
  • topcat1984topcat1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Face, Stramala, Scar, Leeluu, Almighty, Command0r. I actually met a few more within the past week. There's like 13 now. But saying 1 of 13 doesn't sound <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anymore haha xD! So I'm actually about to change my thingy.

I've played with a guy called Beef Injector, and i'm not clued up on GF's atall but that guy does insane damage.
    I ran a 2/3MC with him on my DC a few weeks back and. Party was 15k GWF, 2 14k CW's mostly rank 7's/8's normal/ greater enchants. And he came top on DPS, everyone in the party was like WTF. As we were all decent geared.

Got chatting to him and he says he usually does similar/more DPS than CW's in most Dungeons unless they out gear him.
    He had like 20K GS and greater Vorpal. 11k Power i think.

I've ran a few more Delves with him and it's the same story. Usually top or 2nd in DPS, good GWF's can beat him easy and HR's but CW's seem to have a hard time keeping up

He said the key was feating right then keeping his daily up nearly all the time, for 20% damage increase?

Anyway, i'm thinking maybe if you utilise the GF's powers correctly for pure DPS then it's not such a weak class? HE obviously had all the aggro but because we just melted mobs he never really worried me keeping him alive.

Also ran afew PVP matches with him, and he was top in 4 and 4th or 5th in our last one. Usually 20+ kills to single digit deaths 3 of the matches were long fair fights too.

Thoughts?
    edited May 2014
    topcat1984 wrote: »
    I've played with a guy called Beef Injector, and i'm not clued up on GF's atall but that guy does insane damage.
    I ran a 2/3MC with him on my DC a few weeks back and. Party was 15k GWF, 2 14k CW's mostly rank 7's/8's normal/ greater enchants. And he came top on DPS, everyone in the party was like WTF. As we were all decent geared.

Got chatting to him and he says he usually does similar/more DPS than CW's in most Dungeons unless they out gear him.
    He had like 20K GS and greater Vorpal. 11k Power i think.

I've ran a few more Delves with him and it's the same story. Usually top or 2nd in DPS, good GWF's can beat him easy and HR's but CW's seem to have a hard time keeping up

He said the key was feating right then keeping his daily up nearly all the time, for 20% damage increase?

Anyway, i'm thinking maybe if you utilise the GF's powers correctly for pure DPS then it's not such a weak class? HE obviously had all the aggro but because we just melted mobs he never really worried me keeping him alive.

Also ran afew PVP matches with him, and he was top in 4 and 4th or 5th in our last one. Usually 20+ kills to single digit deaths 3 of the matches were long fair fights too.

Thoughts?

He sound like he might be squishy. What gear does it typically wear?
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    aethanas wrote: »
    As for the Dailies:
    It would even be good, to combine Villain's Menace with Fighter's Recovery, giving the GF a sort of "Unstoppable" in which Damage Reduction got replaced by high Life Steal.

As for the Guard Meter:
    Unlimited Guard could be a bit too much of a change for the block mechanism, but a mechanism like Stamina - as already proposed in this forum - sounds like a good alternative, as it would help against spike damage while keeping the need to think twice what to block.

As for Damage Resistance:
    Either better stats and dminishing return for Deflection or more Damage Restistance to compensate would be more logical - particularly the latter - for a class with the heaviest armour type of all.

As for Tenacity:
    It simply does nothing except benefitting players with PvP equipment in PvP: it is simply because every class got the same amount of Tenacity, and as stated it was not meant to make one class more tankier than another it was simply meant to prolong the fight without the need to alter the powers themselves.

As for attention:
    Noone should every expect that officials readily answer or participate in a conversation because someone invested hours in a post: there is other stuff to do, they have a life and some answers (should) take time. We live not in paradise, it is not astonishing.

I cannot tell you how many times in a pinch I use Fighters Recovery to try and stay alive and save this node, and I am cced and the duration is over? I used the daily and got nothing out of it! Fighters Recovery should make all damage taken converts to HP not all damage done...
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • guille23mxguille23mx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Face, Stramala, Scar, Leeluu, Almighty, Command0r. I actually met a few more within the past week. There's like 13 now. But saying 1 of 13 doesn't sound <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anymore haha xD! So I'm actually about to change my thingy.

Your list is not complete.
    Mostly those u list are the ones you know of.
    IM LENNETH and was considered the Best GF in Exodus for a reason.(now rocking in Bible Camp)
    Im kind of a loner And tho not so famous as those in your list but ive been kicking *** in PVP as hard as it gets.

Heres a list of some GF maybe youre unaware of and are REAL GOOD ONES:
    HZARN
    LENNETH
    THE BLIND PROPHET
    MORANA
    CHU
    BEEF INJECTOR
    THE BLIND HARLOT
    DUSTY
    VALAR
    SERA II
    CHIEFTAIN
    ERICK HAWKLIGHT
    HASZI
    BOUNCEHAMS
    SUMPAHPENDEKAR
    KHOLLYNS
    DAMANHUR

so yeah.... definitely not SEVEN. A whole lot More Masters imho.
    Here s one post of my Victories.... maybe I can Nominate myself as a MASTER :D

Lenneth_zps761ec73f.png
    edited May 2014
    guille23mx wrote: »
    IM LENNETH and was considered the Best GF in Exodus for a reason.(now rocking in Bible Camp)
    Im kind of a loner And tho not so famous as those in your list but ive been kicking *** in PVP as hard as it gets.

HZARN
    LENNETH
    THE BLIND PROPHET
    MORANA
    CHU
    BEEF INJECTOR
    THE BLIND HARLOT
    DUSTY
    VALAR
    SERA II
    CHIEFTAIN
    ERICK HAWKLIGHT
    HASZI
    BOUNCEHAMS
    SUMPAHPENDEKAR
    KHOLLYNS
    DAMANHUR

Lenneth_zps761ec73f.png

Pop quiz, how long does Villan's Menace last?
    A). 8 Seconds
    B). 15 Seconds
    C). 10 seconds
    D). ô.ô!
    edited May 2014
    None of the above. 12 secs Maxed.
    edited May 2014
    None of the above. 12 secs Maxed.

Is that your final answer? And don't cheat either xD!
  • jessebrownjrjessebrownjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2014

HZARN
    LENNETH
    THE BLIND PROPHET
    MORANA
    CHU
    BEEF INJECTOR
    THE BLIND HARLOT
    DUSTY
    VALAR
    SERA II
    CHIEFTAIN
    ERICK HAWKLIGHT
    HASZI
    BOUNCEHAMS
    SUMPAHPENDEKAR
    KHOLLYNS
    DAMANHUR

Lenneth_zps761ec73f.png

Why do people post SSs of one-sided matches and boast like they've actually accomplished something worth talking about.:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tenacity Who? Versus GF Master means nada.
  • jessebrownjrjessebrownjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2014
    A). 8 Seconds
    B). 15 Seconds
    C). 10 seconds
    D). ô.ô!

Final answer : C
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tenacity Who? Versus GF Master means nada.
    edited May 2014
    Im passing your little test with a Correct Answer ... and u know it :D

(Im wondering if all the Masters got asked the same kind of questions for approval or recognition:D)

I was gonna return the favor with :

My turn Master GF.
    How much time is the duration and The debuff of Tide of Iron?
    a)5 secs and 15%
    b)6 secs and 10%
    c)10 secs and 25%
    d) O.O

The truth is Nobody cares about these test...
    The GF are a class that Need Respect...
    Atm GF are underrated and need out there and kick *** in PVP and bring results to the table.
    That's all that matters. Most Kills ...Not test. You get my point? ;)

So returning to the fact I stated:
    --THERE ARE A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN 7 MASTERS GF IN GAME.
    --GIVE CREDIT WHERE IS DUE.... NOMINATE SOME (Myself included . Cause im bringing Respect to the Class wining in PVP ;D)

And yeah...to those saying Boasting.. I say WINING in PVP earns u the right to Boast.
    Even more vs some Good Players from Premades and PVP Guilds...and even more when ur a GF.
    We are not the Best Class to get the More Kills so ... yeah... we gotta Boast... its healty and good
    for all the GF class to get some examples like these.
    To all the GF rocking . Keep it up :D... and if youre **** good BOAST!
    edited May 2014
    Why do people post SSs of one-sided matches and boast like they've actually accomplished something worth talking about.:rolleyes:

Says the guy who has a pic in his sig of some out telling him he's strong :rolleyes:

Comeon man...
    edited May 2014
    A). 8 Seconds
    B). 15 Seconds
    C). 10 seconds
    D). ô.ô!

I don't know the answer to this because I'm actually a good PvP GF so I don't use it.
    edited May 2014
    Lol you guys do realize I was just being silly right? There are no "questions for approval or recognition." I was hoping you guys would have said "D."
    edited May 2014
    Lol you guys do realize I was just being silly right? There are no "questions for approval or recognition." I was hoping you guys would have said "D."

Yeah me too mate.
    Sorry about that :D ... there
    D.
    Say hello to Master GF Almighty from Lenneth (if u see him)
    edited May 2014
    Yeah me too mate.
    Sorry about that :D ... there
    D.
    Say hello to Master GF Almighty from Lenneth (if u see him)

Hahaha okay!
    edited May 2014
    Bumpidy, bump bump!
  • wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure if I got the whole "Make GFs stronger in PvE without breaking them in PvP thing" from you or if I just figured it out myself, but I completely agree. I've been trying to think of ways for this to be done, and another idea I just got is to increase a GF's abilities proportional to the number of mobs it is drawing aggro from. This would have no use in PvP (since aggro doesn't exist in PvP) but would greatly increase both damage and utility in PvE. I was thinking it could be something creative, like a sudden power and speed boost as soon as the shield breaks, or some sort of finishing move for when the meter is about to break, resulting in an outward blast with damage proportional to how much aggro the GF has at the time.

Maybe a little gimmicky, but it'd be a start.

Anyways, if you're interested, please check out my thread on the preview forums. You saw "So what IS going to be done about guardian fighters?!" which I'm proud to say actually got a developer response. I've got another one called "The Unofficial Guardian Fighter Suggestion Thread!" Time to put the flaming of the devs behind us and start fresh. Generate some aggro on the devs. =]

Consider this my bump, lol
    edited May 2014
    wildfire5 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I got the whole "Make GFs stronger in PvE without breaking them in PvP thing" from you or if I just figured it out myself, but I completely agree. I've been trying to think of ways for this to be done, and another idea I just got is to increase a GF's abilities proportional to the number of mobs it is drawing aggro from. This would have no use in PvP (since aggro doesn't exist in PvP) but would greatly increase both damage and utility in PvE. I was thinking it could be something creative, like a sudden power and speed boost as soon as the shield breaks, or some sort of finishing move for when the meter is about to break, resulting in an outward blast with damage proportional to how much aggro the GF has at the time.

Maybe a little gimmicky, but it'd be a start.

Anyways, if you're interested, please check out my thread on the preview forums. You saw "So what IS going to be done about guardian fighters?!" which I'm proud to say actually got a developer response. I've got another one called "The Unofficial Guardian Fighter Suggestion Thread!" Time to put the flaming of the devs behind us and start fresh. Generate some aggro on the devs. =]

Consider this my bump, lol

Of course I've seen that beautiful thread! And hopefully the Devs have seen mine, and all the possible solutions I propose xD! But yeah, they should keep us informed on what they're doing, and let us help them make decisions on the changes.