test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deep Gash

Comments

• steamroler12steamroler12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Deep gash is bugged, because there's no other feat in the game that can almost double your dps and is therefore clearly unintended. What's so humorous is that it takes a bug or poorly thought out implementation of the deep gash feat for a underpowered class to become viable. And even after this change, the majority of people still consider gwf to be inferior to cw, myself included. So even though I consider mod 2 deep gash to either be a bug or using very poorly thought out math, it is still a good thing because without it no one would want to play gwf in mod 2. There is no way cryptic would do what is right and raise gwf's base damage because they are incompetent, and if they ever fix dep gash I would just do 4 cw and 1 dc dungeon runs 90% of the time.

It is not bugged, it is benefiting from Strength and Other damage Bonuses (Amount you crit)

Please refrain from calling Cryptic or the System Designers "Incompetent" that is against ToS

Please Refer to our Previous replies for more Depth on the Issue.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Damage from Deep Gash is less then 50%. It is obviously not a bug

Screenshot below from one of the top GWFs in the game, Draco run:

XlKyybZ.png

It's OK if they fix Deep Gash. We insisted on preview that whatever they do, they should make sure that GWF PvE damage remains the same. The dev agreed, they have no intention of destroying the class again, they just want to fix the feat.
    Also if the case is being in the 1st Tier Issue you could look into these :

Bitter Cold - Oppresor Tree ( 1st TIER ) 100% uptime + damage on almost every fight

Critical Power - Renegade Tree (1st TIER ) Critting almost 80%+ of the time( Eye of the Storm ) almost 85%+ uptime

Bitter Cold is just 5% damage buff, almost 100% uptime, true.

Critical Power is just an AP generation feat with internal cooldown (was nerfed), most CWs ignore it these days. Eye of the Storm doesn't result in 80% crit chance, I'd like that lol. Some people in CW forums calculated somewhere around 50%.

Also Shard damage is 18-30% or so in AoE heavy situations.
    edited January 2014
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Screenshot below from one of the top GWFs in the game, Draco run:

It's OK if they fix Deep Gash. We insisted on preview that whatever they do, they should make sure that GWF PvE damage remains the same. The dev agreed, they have no intention of destroying the class again, they just want to fix the feat.

Bitter Cold is just 5% damage buff, almost 100% uptime, true.

Critical Power is just an AP generation feat with internal cooldown (was nerfed), most CWs ignore it these days. Eye of the Storm doesn't result in 80% crit chance, I'd like that lol. Some people in CW forums calculated somewhere around 50%.

In a boss fight where All anyone is doing is AOE, spamming wicked strike.... I dont see ur point here? its obiously going to massive damage on a Draco Fight where there is constant Spawning of Multiple adds. Which are Singularitied on top of the boss.. and a stationary GWF sitting under the boss spamming wicked strike and Battle Strike on a fully Debuffed boss. yes these numbers seem correct. I dont see any argument here considering the conditions of the fight......
    Same story for a Log on Valindras Tower where everything is AOE in small close quarters combat.

Could you please post a single target fight so we can compare DPS from a CW for to GWF. Thanks
    edited January 2014
    In a boss fight where All anyone is doing is AOE, spamming wicked strike.... I dont see ur point here? its obiously going to massive damage on a Draco Fight where there is constant Spawning of Multiple adds. Which are Singularitied on top of the boss.. and a stationary GWF sitting under the boss spamming wicked strike and Battle Strike on a fully Debuffed boss. yes these numbers seem correct. I dont see any argument here considering the conditions of the fight......
    Same story for a Log on Valindras Tower where everything is AOE in small close quarters combat.

Could you please post a single target fight so we can compare DPS from a CW for to GWF. Thanks

The point is, the game IS an AoE add fest. If I get to MC (kinda doubt it will happen) and run with a good GWF, I'll try to remember to log the Fulminorax fight - it is the closest thing to single target we have I think.

I just responded to your post where you said DG is not 50% of damage.

You need to keep in mind that I am one of the persons that doesn't want the GWF to be nerfed and I specifically reminded the dev on preview that DG damage is what makes PvE GWF viable and basically lets you guys have fun. I have GWF friends and I don't want their chars to be gimped.
  • stoxforum1stoxforum1 Banned Users Posts: 265 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014

Still, a feat is doing more damage than all encounters and at wills and dailies combined and you still don't believe it's a bug? Shard may be do a good portion of CW damage, but at least it's an encounter, not a feat in the first tier of a tree...

Also go look at my bug report thread on deep gash, twinkje posted a log of GG T2 dungeon where a GWF had 44.1% of his damage as deep gash damage, to the 2 boss mobs only!
  • f2pnwf2pnw Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2014
    stoxforum1 wrote: »
    Still, a feat is doing more damage than all encounters and at wills and dailies combined and you still don't believe it's a bug? Shard may be do a good portion of CW damage, but at least it's an encounter, not a feat in the first tier of a tree...

Also go look at my bug report thread on deep gash, twinkje posted a log of GG T2 dungeon where a GWF had 44.1% of his damage as deep gash damage, to the 2 boss mobs only!

i would realy like to know why are you complaining?
    is it that gwf does to much dmg in pve now.
    or you just dont like that one feat does all that dmg and its ruining your role play experience.
    hmmm that hilarious in both cases.can i ask u one question.
    how can u role play a control wizard lol when hes destroying everything lol.
    looks like whole class is a bugg and should be removed from the game.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    let a few facts :

1 - the gwf has a projection , which consists of him doing little damage . this gwf doing damage - it's a bug . cancellation itself was a bug , ie gwf should do less damage than it did . the wonderful world of combat designer , this is what the class should be (although in beta I did a lot of damage , and the destroyer own description suggests that there is a false propaganda about the class) .

the question is : was this the character we invest time or money, or whatever ?

what the cw or the player x has to do with it ? nothing . what you need to do is go in these patch notes and demand an explanation from devs and requiring an official thread where we will discuss what we expect and want the class . and that these requests for changes once reasonable , are met with the appropriate adjustments.

how should realize , I have an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> English and I am not a known player . You are now known players , and help in this forum . seems I may ask for it.

I think the player cw / rogue / dc / gf / ranger is not in disagreement with the plan of the devs , just buffs or nerfs. We on the other hand, we have a different concept of the game's creator . is the time to speak the same language .

ps:this is not an angry post, or something. not need to be deleted. is the suggestion of a sensible debate that ultimately magnify the game. deleted or not, does not change the malaise that surrounds the game today.this is a suggestion of peace.
    edited January 2014
    on the graphs, it is not correct to look at the math and say "deep gash does more damage than the encounter", is like saying that the critical severity does more damage than the encounter.

the tick of the deep gash is a percentage of the critical damage of a certain power (Atwill / encounter / daily).

instance. my own wms 900 deep gash by stick. ibs has the 5000.

in pve this damage vary. I can spend 10,000 per stick with ibs, and so on. but never do 100000 with a sure strike

ie, it is not something independent. it is subordinate to the power used. which seems quite correct. a scratch causes less bleeding than a missile.

Finally, I will not discuss it further at the above stated reason. bug or not, is a feat very consistent and I like this concept remained.
    edited January 2014
    zacazu wrote: »
    on the graphs, it is not correct to look at the math and say "deep gash does more damage than the encounter", is like saying that the critical severity does more damage than the encounter.

the tick of the deep gash is a percentage of the critical damage of a certain power (Atwill / encounter / daily).

instance. my own wms 900 deep gash by stick. ibs has the 5000.

in pve this damage vary. I can spend 10,000 per stick with ibs, and so on. but never do 100000 with a sure strike

ie, it is not something independent. it is subordinate to the power used. which seems quite correct. a scratch causes less bleeding than a missile.

Finally, I will not discuss it further at the above stated reason. bug or not, is a feat very consistent and I like this concept remained.

+1 Thank you Zacazu.
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    steamroler is incapable of grasping the fact that even though deep gash formula was changed doesn't mean that it was changed exactly as desired by cryptic's incompetent balance team. It is the intention of cryptic's incompetent balance team to ruin all classes until 90% of the nw population is cleric and control wizard, and I wish they would hurry up and "fix" gwf so people can understand there's no place for any classes except dc and cw.
    edited January 2014
    steamroler is incapable of grasping the fact that even though deep gash formula was changed doesn't mean that it was changed exactly as desired by cryptic's incompetent balance team. It is the intention of cryptic's incompetent balance team to ruin all classes until 90% of the nw population is cleric and control wizard, and I wish they would hurry up and "fix" gwf so people can understand there's no place for any classes except dc and cw.

Please Refrain from calling Designers/Dev's "Incompetent" as it is against TOS, I dont want this Knowledgable thread to be closed due to one persons actions, If so Moderators please remove His Reply's. As many of the NW commmunity would like more info and Update on In-Depth Ability Scaling.

Possible Ban may be in order also for this guy ^ Som or Zeb if u guys catch this, Thanks, and as always appreciate it.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    btw if deep gash is op hows then eye of storm is not? 100% crtic chance all the time is not op and 1k dps from deep gash is....and eye of storm is class skill
    edited January 2014
    Deep gash is bugged, because there's no other feat in the game that can almost double your dps and is therefore clearly unintended. What's so humorous is that it takes a bug or poorly thought out implementation of the deep gash feat for a underpowered class to become viable. And even after this change, the majority of people still consider gwf to be inferior to cw, myself included. So even though I consider mod 2 deep gash to either be a bug or using very poorly thought out math, it is still a good thing because without it no one would want to play gwf in mod 2. There is no way cryptic would do what is right and raise gwf's base damage because they are incompetent, and if they ever fix dep gash I would just do 4 cw and 1 dc dungeon runs 90% of the time.

there is class skill at cw eye of storm it almost makes 3x higer damage of cws if they have greater or perfect vorplal and this is not broken?
    edited January 2014
    What's wrong steamroler, afraid of gwf no longer being able to kill everyone by standing still and holding onto an atwill and occasionally tapping unstoppable? Deep gash is broken despite your faulty logic, and gwf has become so overpowered in pvp that pvp has become even more of a joke in mod 2 than it was in mod 1.

The people in charge of neverwinter class balance allow a gwf with deep gash to do almost double the damage of a gwf without deep gash. They allow gf's to become so marginalized that they are probably the main character for less than 5% of the game population. They allow the average cw encounter to do 2-3x more damage than the best gwf encounters. They allow gf swordmaster flourish to do 2-3k damage. If this isn't incompetence then I don't know what is.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I dont see any problem with this

Deep Gash is a pale substitute for the absence of damage-delivering AtWill, encounters or dailes.
    As for being over-powered, well when you see DeepGash being triggered by a Briartwine armour enchant which itself is a very low, almost nil damage, you may say that the whiners have a point. The Deep gash damage should scale with the primary damage that triggered it.
    English is not my first language.
  • kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The problem with fixing deep gash is where do you stick the damage to make up for it in pve without being overpowering in pvp? At will damage should definitely be increased. Sure Strike should hit harder, Wicked Strike should hit slightly harder and be a ton faster (like 30-50% faster), the fixed weapon master should be slightly faster and hit slightly harder, reaping strike needs a total rework still, and threatening rush could be left as is with the proposed sprint cancelling fix on the way.

That does not make up for even close to the damage you lose from deep gash however, since Deep Gash procs from encounters do crazy damage. To be fair, the Instigator and Destroyer late feats could be reworked to provide more damage to make up for it. It is pretty lame how little actual extra damage 3rd tier through capstone is actually added compared to the survival late Sentinel tree adds.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
    edited January 2014
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    The problem with fixing deep gash is where do you stick the damage to make up for it in pve without being overpowering in pvp?

example: look at the executioner style: make it into a random booster of damage based on the amount of enemies. the more enemies hit, the greater the damage / chance of damage. 15% / 15% per head, resulting in up to 75% chance to deal 75% additional damage.

zero impact on pvp: aoe god in pve . t3 destroyer

other feats would need to be modified to bring quality to single damage. but you can do it better than it currently is with little impact in pvp.

ps: do not think about these things useless unless we have an official topic. and to have an official thread, we ask for .... and I'm not very articulate in this language ... hahha
    edited January 2014
    removed...
    edited January 2014
    removed...
    edited January 2014
    Wow, okay first off eye of the storm adds ~20% crit to our base. This skill was in fact "nerfed" in a previous patch. It is no where near a 3x damage increase. I'm beginning to be convinced the GWF class does no number crunching except for 1 or 2 guys or have no idea how other classes or their own even work.

haha and cw who have eye of storm out dps by 2.5 times cw who dose not use it so how is this not op?u very well know eye of storm is main reason why every cw is spell storm path
    edited January 2014
    removed...
    edited January 2014
    There seems to be some mythical data going on about CWs and their abilities here hehe.
  • sirindrasirindra Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    The problem with fixing deep gash is where do you stick the damage to make up for it in pve without being overpowering in pvp? At will damage should definitely be increased. Sure Strike should hit harder, Wicked Strike should hit slightly harder and be a ton faster (like 30-50% faster), the fixed weapon master should be slightly faster and hit slightly harder, reaping strike needs a total rework still, and threatening rush could be left as is with the proposed sprint cancelling fix on the way.

That does not make up for even close to the damage you lose from deep gash however, since Deep Gash procs from encounters do crazy damage. To be fair, the Instigator and Destroyer late feats could be reworked to provide more damage to make up for it. It is pretty lame how little actual extra damage 3rd tier through capstone is actually added compared to the survival late Sentinel tree adds.

This is pretty much all my concerns.
    People cry in PvP that we're OP.
    People shun us in PvE for not being "useful."

I'm trying out Instigator tree just for you Stox and I'll let you know how it goes.
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't get why this is still an ongoing and heated discussion. The devs already stated it's bugged. So it's bugged I guess.

As long as they redistribute the lost DPS for Destroyers in some way all should be good.

The problem with the current bug is: The Destroyer path was meant to be the DPS machine for GWFs, but since Deep Gash is T1 you just have to choose the skill, get a decent Crit% and you'll hold your own against anybody. Sentinels should not receive such a boost in example.
    edited January 2014
    You know what would be interesting to me, let's have some of the top destroyer/instigator GWFs post the damage from their at-wills, encounters, and dailies with the target limits from each and we'll do the same for CW. I'll go ahead and tell you what you will find, that GWF damage is actually higher than the CW damage. So why does CW do more damage then? Because of intelligent buff/debuff stacking rotations. The damage from encounters on my senti IV GWF with 2500 power are higher than they are on my CW with 8300 power... This is why they are so strong in PVP.

It would be more accurate to say that deep gash+frontline surge/single target encounter damage is higher than CW single target damage, but not that GWF encounters do more damage than CW encounters. CW damage is higher than GWF damage because dungeons have a lot of adds and all things considered a CW's encounters should do more damage than GWF's encounters+buggy incompetent feats/powers.

GWF encounters have lower target cap and often less damage. My 6500 power 2300 recovery gwf with t2.5 weapon:
    not so good has 10s cooldown, does 1497-1738
    frontline has 16.5s cooldown and does 3743-4346 and will be nerfed by 25%
    indomitably narrow aoe strike has 10s cooldown and does 4492-5215.

My 4287 power 3820 recovery cw with t2 weapon:
    shard has 12.4 cooldown, does 2763-3242 shard slam damage and almost double shard explosion damage
    sudden storm has 6.2s cooldown does 5201-6035
    steal time has 13.4s cooldown and does 2349-2726 damage
    conduit of ice has 11.s cooldown and has 622-721 damage hitting seven times (4354-5047 damage).
    edited January 2014
    "As long as the lost DPS redistribute They are in some way Destroyers Should be all good."

Having to doubt the solution of someone who makes a change that did not know what was wrong - it was not tested? many report the problem in preview; were not read? - And on top comes the conclusion that gwf needed a hellish damage boost to be viable in pve. check out the projection they had for us in Module 2:

patch notes: All of the Great Weapon Fighter's At-Will powers have been updated to Improve AoE effectiveness and, in Certain cases, group utility, AoE tanking viability, and more interesting interactions feat. These changes are detailed below.

the game needs a tank aoe to bring "utility" for the group? no, the game needed a nuke machine. all gwf wanted to be a nuke machine.

"The Destroyer is a torrent of unfettered rage and anger that deals a crushing amount of damage no foe is likely to survive."

what is this? a nuke machine.

ps:this was the angry post ... haha
    edited January 2014
    removed...
    edited January 2014
    FLS nerfed would be 2800-3300, have same target cap or less than most cw encounters, much less damage than cw encounter damage except for steal time, but then steal time has a lot more utility and procs a lot of stuff like wild hunt rider or EoTS.

CoI is 7 hits over time when used in spell mastery slot, 6 when not in spell mastery slot. In dungeons I almost always use it in spell mastery slot.
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zacazu wrote: »
    "As long as the lost DPS redistribute They are in some way Destroyers Should be all good."

Having to doubt the solution of someone who makes a change that did not know what was wrong - it was not tested? many report the problem in preview; were not read? - And on top comes the conclusion that gwf needed a hellish damage boost to be viable in pve. check out the projection they had for us in Module 2:

patch notes: All of the Great Weapon Fighter's At-Will powers have been updated to Improve AoE effectiveness and, in Certain cases, group utility, AoE tanking viability, and more interesting interactions feat. These changes are detailed below.

the game needs a tank aoe to bring "utility" for the group? no, the game needed a nuke machine. all gwf wanted to be a nuke machine.

"The Destroyer is a torrent of unfettered rage and anger that deals a crushing amount of damage no foe is likely to survive."

what is this? a nuke machine.

ps:this was the angry post ... haha

Although I don't fully get what you want to say, I don' think anybody doubts that GWFs needed a serious DPS increase. I also agree that the Destroyer path should be a "nuke machine", but the way Deep Gash currently works you can spec into whatever (Iron Vanguard, Instigator, Sentinal) and almost double your DPS in adding Deep Gash. This simply isn't intended.

I think most GWFs want Deep Gash to stay this way because their non-Destroyer builds would receive a serious fix (aka nerf).
    edited January 2014
    removed...