test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP needs you

Comments

• Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    @Mattsacre - I understand you are worried about those things happening. I'll never deny they could happen, as they could. However all of those other games didn't have the same thing that NW has. To wit; The foundry. There is an endless pool of PVE stuff that is user generated. So there will always be new users, so there is always new stuff. I haven't seen anyone seeking better gear, or anything like that with new PVP. I've also seen *many* many threads and guides of how PVE gear is what's required for top end PVP. So, take 'crafter' in your post, change it to 'PVPer' and go from there. I enjoy PVP, I don't really want to PVE. I have to, if I want to get anywhere. Boons? Tier gear? yeah, all that. What I know most players on here are asking for, is a way for the pug to have fun with the pug and the premade groups of guys who enjoy serious matches with their gear they've earned from across the game, to play against similar levels.

Everyone talks about how pre's ruin the game for pugs.. pugs leave and make the game boring for pre's. It happens both sides.

My comment about the actual thread is of course, add in the ranking. Do not make it based on GS, instead go for a match totals thing. number kills/deaths, assists, wins/losses. Add in healing as a item tracked. Maybe caps too.

... and open the foundry to make pvp maps too please!
  • Options
    halrloprillalarhalrloprillalar Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    My comment about the actual thread is of course, add in the ranking. Do not make it based on GS, instead go for a match totals thing. number kills/deaths, assists, wins/losses. Add in healing as a item tracked. Maybe caps too.

... and open the foundry to make pvp maps too please!

I have a nagging suspicion that ranking will make the queues infinitely longer. I think I know why you don't think a GS queue would work (gear swapping), but I'm not so sure you can individually rank people based on a team outcome (especially since certain classes end up getting kills much more easily than others, e.g. TR/HR, while others can get assists more easily (DC/CW), and GFs would be kind of screwed. If anything, I do think there should be a pre-made vs. PuG option.

And definitely yes to Foundry pvp maps, that would be amazing... But probably hard to implement, however, and likely never quite balanced (maps have to be very symmetrical to work properly) unless there are geometric tools implemented.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have a nagging suspicion that ranking will make the queues infinitely longer. I think I know why you don't think a GS queue would work (gear swapping),

A ELO rating system would very quickly sort out that issue.

Also the game could simply take a snapshot of the gear, and ensure that you can only enter a PvP match with exactly the same gear you were wearing when you first queued.
  • Options
    calous78calous78 Banned Users Posts: 95
    edited December 2013
    There are a lot of really good suggestion in this thread, and I hope the Devs take a serious look at these and give them proper due.

In the mean time check out the tourney/ladder thread in my sig! The more interest we have the more likely we are to make it a reality. And if it does come about then the more people involved the better it will be!
  • Options
    gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    one small thing that I would like in this game is if they make the inspect button something option to the person being inspected.
    Sometimes feels like neverwinter is a game made for lazy people. They don't think much and go and copy gear, enchants, everything.
    it would be rewarding for people that spend time thinking of different combinations of builds.

I also was thinking about the companions active bonus new. even when you have your companions dismissed, they are on. maybe they could introduce a few "weak" bonuses for pvp, they would be on, making another thing to build differently too
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • Options
    inquisitorrahlinquisitorrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Deserter debuffs

Replace people that leave for games in progress

Make the different ranks of enchantments require a certain gear level to be usable. Twinking is destroying PvP right now.

Fix these 3 things and we'd be good. Then work on maps/modes.
    Father McGruder - Scrub geared DPS DC - I kick HAMSTER for the Lord!

Explosivo - Scrub geared MoF CW - Climb upon my BIG ASSED steed....
  • Options
    eisrabe1902eisrabe1902 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited December 2013
    The upside to it:
    As long as its only a gimmick without great rewards, the overly ambitious piranha-souled people are mostly kept out.
    Once it becomes more, those that find out all the glitches in PvE will flood PvP too.
    Remember my words! :p
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The upside to it:
    As long as its only a gimmick without great rewards, the overly ambitious piranha-souled people are mostly kept out.
    Once it becomes more, those that find out all the glitches in PvE will flood PvP too.
    Remember my words! :p

Hardcore pvp'ers are a worse blight than exploiters.
  • Options
    aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hopefully, the PvP gets some improvements like new maps or other goals for a PvP map, even a larger PvP map would be nice to choose from besides the normal ones.

But please, do not make PvP some kind of end game content as Neverwinter was always PvE focused, and implement rather even more new areas for PvE and before that try to fix already existing content.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ok, so I had an idea for a PVP game/map.

You know the barrels you can kick around in Protector's Enclave?

I was thinking one barrel, two teams of 5 on a field and a goal either side. The idea is to get the barrel inside the goal. It goes without saying that you can kick lumps out of each other while trying to do so. It would also be good to have ballista' and what not around the edge for players to use and a load of traps etc on the field. Possible even have spectators throwing stuff at the participants. When you die you have 10 second time out penalty.

So what do you think? Anyone interested? Anyone else have any idea's for PVP maps?
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Gonna say it again again again again again. The only penalty for leavers should be a deserter debuff, with a max 15m lockout. There is very little incentive to stay when your not going to get ANY (I mean 0 glory) other than honor, which if the other team isn't even letting you get to 500 to get a tiny a bit of glory (especially if it becomes 5v2 5v1); it goes both ways.

This is a quote from another game, in a thread about conceders/quitters.

"I conceded last night because my daughter had a question about her homework."

Tell me in ANY situation, where priorities are rightly placed, this isn't a reasonable excuse to leave. I dare you as a parent to say other. Real life vs Video Game

Edit: This is PUG. If its a tiered/ranked premade match; while I again say priorities and real life may force you to leave; Id be more inclined for a different penalty. But at this time tiered/ranked premade matches do not exist.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Guess no one thought much of the idea. Well at least no one hated it! :p

I'll be the first to say woooooooosh!
  • Options
    martianmnhuntermartianmnhunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the barrels are client side, nice try tho.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's better to implement it like a part of time limited event, something like Midsummer festival.
    But.
    the barrels are client side
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    the barrels are client side, nice try tho.

I'm no expert but there must be a work around! I just feel that Neverwinter has a unique opportunity to offer something new to PVP rather than re-skin old wow battlegrounds.

I had another idea which I call pyramid, if they allowed PVP foundry I would give it a go but the idea is to have a set of rooms that represent a pyramid if you are looking down on it. The idea is that the first set of rooms all spawn two players who fight to get out of the room into the next set until there is only two players left in the final room. The quicker you make the kill and get into the next room the more advantage you get as you can set traps and get to a ballista and what not.

This would probably not work because of the classes, i.e. DC's would get pounded. but still.

Capture the flag and domination are all well and good but it's hardly thinking outside the box. PVP could be so much more than just the usual, a very good reason to allow the foundry to get busy.
  • Options
    rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Huttball...

• Options
    martianmnhuntermartianmnhunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PvP community is maybe 10% of the total NW population, it's not even up to Devs, its up to product owners to decide and I don't think they even know how the game looks, they look at numbers that are reported and keep milking the player base. this game is pretty much dead already.

There may seem to be alot of players but quality has gone down alot.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    rishzoth wrote: »
    Huttball...

To be fair it was a good idea and one of the better parts of that game. My problem with SWTOR is I moved there because I was fed up with WOW, I left SWTOR after only a short time because I was fed up with WOW. That says it all.

But Huttball was very good at times.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    PvP community is maybe 10% of the total NW population, it's not even up to Devs, its up to product owners to decide and I don't think they even know how the game looks, they look at numbers that are reported and keep milking the player base. this game is pretty much dead already.

There may seem to be alot of players but quality has gone down alot.

When people, whoever were testing the basic game models during the creation. I am surprised that no one said, this is a really good combat system that would be suited to PVP, we could make lots of dosh, lets move in that direction. It makes you wonder who is getting paid for these things. I played it for 5 mins and saw the potential.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    I do not think Neverwinter PvP is bad and Gauntlgrym PvP and normal 5vs5 PvP is ok.

That said this game could improve PvP.
    Ideas:
    1. Football PvP. Why not with barrels that Anton suggested in another thread or with a football? Wordcup 2014 is coming and it is awesome and held in Brazil:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlttCPiiIBo
    2. Capture the Flag. It is an old classic and since I liked it in Unreal Tournament 2004, WOW etc why not include that to PvP?
    3. A bigger outworld map with nice wild terrain instead of stone like in Gauntlgrym. Compare to Alterac Valley in WOW a huge map 40 vs 40 players. I don't need Guild Wars 2 scope that would make it a slideshow to laptops with extremely many players.
    I feel that this post belongs better here. I did not come here to argue if PvP is good or bad. Regardless of that I agree with OP that PvP could be much improved.

Finally PvP population 10% is wrong. True if we talk about those who only do like PvP they maybe are minority, but many players like me like both PvE and PvP.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    To be fair it was a good idea and one of the better parts of that game. My problem with SWTOR is I moved there because I was fed up with WOW, I left SWTOR after only a short time because I was fed up with WOW. That says it all.

I beta tested it a couple times and played for about the first 6 months. Then it got repetitive rather quickly, so all I ended up doing was PvP. It just didn't have the staying power for most of my guildies...

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Finally PvP population 10% is wrong. True if we talk about those who only do like PvP they maybe are minority, but many players like me like both PvE and PvP.

A fair point and if the PVP was better the % would rise anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I beta tested it a couple times and played for about the first 6 months. Then it got repetitive rather quickly, so all I ended up doing was PvP. It just didn't have the staying power for most of my guildies...

Did you play WOW? I think had I not then I would have loved SWTOR, I did enjoy the PVP with my Imp Agent, I still have it installed and my Mrs plays it. Worth a look when new content comes but like you say it is short lived.

I said this on another post but it makes me crack up when SWTOR & WOW fans go at each other about which is better. Their the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Did you play WOW? I think had I not then I would have loved SWTOR, I did enjoy the PVP with my Imp Agent, I still have it installed and my Mrs plays it. Worth a look when new content comes but like you say it is short lived.

I said this on another post but it makes me crack up when SWTOR & WOW fans go at each other about which is better. Their the same.

I have never played WOW, but have played a slew of games over the past several years. The most time I spent on a game was SWG.

Imperial Agent...loved that class. It kind of reminds me of how I play Ranger a little bit: run around like a spazz...

• Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have never played WOW, but have played a slew of games over the past several years. The most time I spent on a game was SWG.

Imperial Agent...loved that class. It kind of reminds me of how I play Ranger a little bit: run around like a spazz...
    WOW has world record from 2010 with over 12 million active players. I have one sister and one brother. I played WOW with my brother(Alliance Faction), but my sister(Horde faction) played with our neighbor another girl.

I realize Neverwinter Nights is common game as background for many players, but simply wanted to point out how natural it is to ask if someone has played WOW.

Finally WOW has unbeatable advertising. I have seen in TV World of Warcraft advertising. This is from a Blizzcon advertising event held in 2009:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyq3gQ51s7Y
    Anyway after years of playing I got bored in WOW and now I like Neverwinter.
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    WOW has world record from 2010 with over 12 million active players. I have one sister and one brother. I played WOW with my brother(Alliance Faction), but my sister(Horde faction) played with our neighbor another girl.

I realize Neverwinter Nights is common game as background for many players, but simply wanted to point out how natural it is to ask if someone has played WOW.

Finally WOW has unbeatable advertising. I have seen in TV World of Warcraft advertising. This is from a Blizzcon advertising event held in 2009:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyq3gQ51s7Y
    Anyway after years of playing I got bored in WOW and now I like Neverwinter.

WOW passed its glory time already, I would not compare NWN to WOW since WOW is clearly better tbh. But for those people who are bored with WOW or new gamers the want a MMORPG NWN is alright consider it is a F2P game.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    WOW passed its glory time already, I would not compare NWN to WOW since WOW is clearly better tbh. But for those people who are bored with WOW or new gamers the want a MMORPG NWN is alright consider it is a F2P game.

I think in many ways NW is much better than WOW, the story elements, the combat system the graphics, by that I mean art style not quality as WOW is old.

The thing that made wow so good was it was good at everything, PVP, PVE, Professions, open world. Nothing great but everything good. Except a story of course. I think it was wow that developed this 'me no read, me want path show me where to go' attitude. Which sucks.

Hence the need for PVP because all mmo games assume that the player base is somewhat simple.
  • Options
    edberkleyedberkley Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Huttball was terrible if you were an Assassin. Screw that gametype.
  • Options
    calous78calous78 Banned Users Posts: 95
    edited December 2013
    Huttball...

Best PvP Mode EVER!!! Too bad they destroyed that game right out of the gate by ignoring pvp... *cough* Cryptic *cough* It was off to such a good start too, really enjoyed it till they revamped some of the classes and make them useless in pvp.
  • Options
    lylesebastionlylesebastion Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    regarding gwf, I disagree that pvp going to be 5 gwf x 5gwf. there are plenty of rogues there that do great, rangers are doing great too, and gf is still controlling the node better than any gwf anyday.
    want to nerf gwf? fine, just make sure buff him in others areas that he is not dropped off node so easily, and that he cant kill anything like before patch.
    because if i recall, right before patch, gwf was becoming close to useless in premades x premades due his potentials being easily canceled for being an easy target and not skill to drop ppl off point.

And top tier rangers wil be awesome to control gwfs as well due their root skills and high dps, as some gfs/dcs and good rogues can stall gwfs for long time, you just need stop to compare pugs with top tier gwfs, they really can crush many ppl at once due their better survivality.
    it doesn't mean they behave the same way against top tier people from different classes.

regarding the content, yes. i want more pvp modes.

i want 1 x 1s, deathmatches, some massive guild x guild for good reward event, ranked pvp.

new maps. it would be awesome.

OMG i always wish, as a GWF, to catch a GF alone. yes they have a few prone abilitys- but they are only good while i am not unstoppable. GWF AC is better<sent build> roughly the same amount of HP's<possibly better> but our regen is better and our dps is better... im good at working a gf's gaurd meter down and can sense their panic as it depletes lol. Everytime i beat a GF they are never surprised...

Oh, about the PvP part... Its called domination pvp- meaning we fight over occupying a better half of an area though might and skill- enter at your own risk