test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    Monk and psion are NOT the 2 most obscure classes (could easily list out several dozen or more obscure classes) . Monk is an iconic D&D class, and both monk and psion are present in the lore of forgotten realms.

http://io9.com/the-24-most-embarrassing-dungeons-dragons-character-1524448977

There's still room for a Pacifist, an Urban Druid, and a Pest Controller. Or a Clown. Ghetto fighter? Dandy? Why not!
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Might be a while, since the hints dropped so far would seem to indicate that Warlock is next followed by Druid. If they happen to drop in a Soulknife or Psion in there, I certainly won't object! :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

edited February 2014
    Psioniwhat? Nope, not even in 2015.
  • mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    2012-0927-olive2.png?w=294&h=300
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    http://io9.com/the-24-most-embarrassing-dungeons-dragons-character-1524448977

There's still room for a Pacifist, an Urban Druid, and a Pest Controller. Or a Clown. Ghetto fighter? Dandy? Why not!

Dualclassing always seemed like a fine plan, bring on the Clown Fetishist!
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Like someone said, it's not that people don't like the leader role, but many other factors could be at play.
    I personally would love to play a healer but I hate the whole religious, long skirt stuff. Bring me a druid, something feral, or another type of healer, that doesn't look like an armored pope and I'll gladly play it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited February 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Like someone said, it's not that people don't like the leader role, but many other factors could be at play.
    I personally would love to play a healer but I hate the whole religious, long skirt stuff. Bring me a druid, something feral, or another type of healer, that doesn't look like an armored pope and I'll gladly play it.

Yep. Actually, a D&D cleric should look more like a warrior than a priest, and should wield a hammer or a flail (although the "only blunt weapons" limitation was lifted from the 3rd edition IIRC) rather than, well, whatever he currently uses. The NW version of cleric is not really faithful to the general D&D lore.
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yep. Actually, a D&D cleric should look more like a warrior than a priest, and should wield a hammer or a flail (although the "only blunt weapons" limitation was lifted from the 3rd edition IIRC) rather than, well, whatever he currently uses. The NW version of cleric is not really faithful to the general D&D lore.
    There are two types of clerics in the 4e Player's Handbook: The Battle Cleric, which is basically the traditional D&D cleric, and the Devoted Cleric, which is a caster-type cleric. It's just that Cryptic decided to go with the Devoted Cleric instead of the Battle Cleric for the starting five classes.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    We seriously need more gish classes, like the Battlemind (4e version of the 3.5 Psychic Warrior), and the Swordmage (basically fighter/mage). Battlemind would be quite cool. Anyway, psionic lore is actually quite cool in 4e, in that psionics is described as the multiverse's immune response towards incursions from the Far Realm. That's right, psionic characters are basically reality's antibodies against Cthulhu and his fellow eldritch abominations.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »

You should take a look at the screenies Faaust posted in the "Show Me Your Clerics" thread recently. He managed to put together quite the barbarian look using some of the unique-looking gear that already exists. (Not viable to keep up while levelling though.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • zyphxxzyphxx Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2014
    Current the DC appears to be using a fancy hand mirror. Which is not so exciting.

I have all but a DC at 60, and enjoy playing them all. However up until about a year ago, I would ONLY play melee characters. I just didn't enjoy any other style of play. I am sure there are still those out there that feel the same way.
  • lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    .........2016 Monk class
  • vaerthvaerth Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really hope they do not add in Monk or Bard...You can use those in DDO if you want. Those classes are so lame they take some joy out of the game for me!
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    vaerth wrote: »
    I really hope they do not add in Monk or Bard...You can use those in DDO if you want. Those classes are so lame they take some joy out of the game for me!

Monk adds 100% joy for me. Please add! Everyone can choose their own favorite class!
    edited February 2014
    vaerth wrote: »

I hate the Druid with a passion, but that doesn't mean I would want to take it from those who do enjoy it. I am so glad they don't tailor their design to the likes or dislikes of any given person.

I am with thesensai on this one, the monk would add 100% more joy for me as well.
  • sidentisidenti Banned Users Posts: 48
    edited February 2014
    Hi! New player here (well, new to the MMO anyway - loved the original series on PC), and while it's nice to see interaction on the forums between players and devs, I gotta say - the cloak-and-dagger approach is a bit of a turnoff. Do you guys have any hard timeline info on what's coming down the pike? It'd be sincerely appreciated and would most likely get me to spend money on your game faster.

I like to plan for my purchases, you see. :)
  • timmo1988timmo1988 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Does anyone know what the next class is going to be? I think I read somewhere it was going to be Druid but I can't remember. Personally, I'm waiting for Bard. Anyway, my friend keeps asking me if I know everday when we play together and I just want to know if I remember correctly.
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Think it should be some sort of a semi caster. Cause currently the only caster is CW.

DC is a caster that deals no dmg, only heal/debuff.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would not hold hopes up for new classes any time soon. First time I heard PvP update I began thinking of new Battlegrounds and PvP other forms(example Capture the Flag). Instead we got what? Casual carebear wish of PvP matchmaking that thank god does not effect Gauntlgrym. Leavers penalty? Fine ok with that, but still no new PvP content.

Don't expect great updates they might come but VERY SLOWLY. My guess you will see one new class released during whole 2014. It is very small chance it is going to be Druid where have you got that notion from? I have said myself that I would love to have a Druid class so yes it would be according to my wishes if Druid is released. If I remember ANCIENT history they talked that Warlock might get released some day, but that was so far back in history so we are completely in the dark what class is released next.
  • zugzug3zugzug3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Scourge Warlock. Anything else would be very surprising.
  • timmo1988timmo1988 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    With my luck, we wont get a Bard until 2016.

Also, if the general belief is that DC can't deal damage then I'm probably the only person with a god DPS build for DC. ._.
  • rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    zugzug3 wrote: »
    Scourge Warlock. Anything else would be very surprising.

This. i have been waiting for it since closed beta , its been in the game files since closed beta. Sure it wasn't ready to roll out with shadowmantle due to "fine-tuning", but anything else at this point makes me question my patience with this game.
  • snessupermariosnessupermario Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I want a necromancer class please it would be most fun then the Control Wizard class.
    edited February 2014
    My prediction is Warlock, Druid, Monk or Paladin followed by each other, then bard. Those fit the requests I have seen the most on these boards.

Art assets by far take the most time when doing game development. Each class needs unique armor, weapons, animations, and particle effects. These tend to be spread across multiple teams. In a game where the items have this level of detail, I bet it is a nightmare fro those who are doing the 3d work and the texturing.

Also after the items and powers are done, they have to add everything new to the drop charts.

Add to all of that concept time, then testing when it is done, and I can see why each new class takes so long. The up side is they are most likely working on more than one at a time. Depending on the skeletal system they may be able to use some of the monster animations for players too.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    zyphxx wrote: »
    My prediction is Warlock, Druid, Monk or Paladin followed by each other, then bard. Those fit the requests I have seen the most on these boards.

Art assets by far take the most time when doing game development. Each class needs unique armor, weapons, animations, and particle effects. These tend to be spread across multiple teams. In a game where the items have this level of detail, I bet it is a nightmare fro those who are doing the 3d work and the texturing.

Also after the items and powers are done, they have to add everything new to the drop charts.

Add to all of that concept time, then testing when it is done, and I can see why each new class takes so long. The up side is they are most likely working on more than one at a time. Depending on the skeletal system they may be able to use some of the monster animations for players too.

This post is spot on. In fact I am not sure why further discussion would be needed past this post. :P
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I did something of a treatise on future releases over on Reddit. Let me copy-paste it.
    Alright, I keep saying it to people, but evidently not everybody knows, so I'm helping to spread the word. As I'm a bit obsessed with future releases, I've done a bit of looking into what the next few classes (and possible races) are, as well as some evidence to support these. I've been telling people that the run of future classes is going to be Warlock -> Druid -> Paladin/Warlord. This is because they are exceedingly popular.

Now, for that evidence I mentioned. Here: http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/28/5028776/neverwinters-next-expansion-adds-hunter-class-paragon-paths-and-more About Half way down the page We see them discussing how classes will be released, and it's a staggered process. Take special note of this, though: "We already have one class beyond the Hunter that's almost, I'd say 50 to 60 percent done, so that will be our next one,". I did a bit of digging, and found out the game's been datamined before - the two classes that already had files in the game but were not playable, at the time of mining, were Hunter Ranger and Scourge Warlock. You can see it for yourself here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?59811-Some-Neverwinter-Datamined-Info-%28Race-Class-Art-and-Text%29

Furthermore, we already have some Warlock animations in-game. Zulkir Baltreyo, the boss of Phantasmal Fortress, transforms into various depictions of your allies from the Vanguard Camp, and even use player skills to try and beat you. Occasionally he'll transform into Makos, who is explicitly stated to be a warlock, and at that point he has entirely unique movements from any other character in the game - holding a dagger reverse gripped with the tip pointed down, shooting green fiery bolts from his hands, and a highly damaging cone AoE. This suggests that the Warlock will be using the same Striker role as in 4e DnD, and that would mean we're looking at Constitution as the primary stat, with Intelligence and Charisma secondary; aside from thematic concerns, I imagine we're going to be seeing a LOT of tiefling warlocks running around. We're also guaranteed for it to be infernal pact rather than fey, dark, or what-have-you, as the paragon path for it in the datamined files is "Hellbringer", an infernal-only prestige path. Following Cryptic's classic release date schedule of "one thing every 90-100 days", We're looking at receiving this class in late April or early May.

Further on in the Interview, Velasquez lets slip that druid will be the class worked on after Warlock, as it's pretty much the second most requested class after Ranger. Druid, following 4e processes like we did for the Warlock, will be a controller with key abilities in Wisdom, Dexterity, and Constitution. They can also have a wild-shape ability, but I'm not sure if that'll be implemented in Neverwinter, as it'd be difficult to script at best, but here's hoping. Having a second controller in the game would also reduce the "Everybody wants CWs!" shenaniganry. It perhaps wouldn't fix the issue, but having a druid available would at least alleviate that problem some. Assuming Cryptic follows their classic "one every 90-100 days" theme I said above, we'd get this sometime in August.

Now, I mentioned Paladin or Warlord above, and I'll admit that's mostly speculation on my part, but during the interview with Polygon, Velasquez states that new classes are decided on based on a mix of what they want to do and what the community wants, and the things we lack are currently another Defender (as we only have the GF at the moment, since the GWF class is meant as more of a tough striker) and we could certainly use a melee Leader (Clerics can't close to melee, and I'd rather not be a divine conduit every time I want to heal someone). This'd be at least ten months off though, so until we get a bit more confirmation on it, like I said, this is pure speculation. This would be delivered to us sometime in December.

Finally, I have no idea on a release date (I assume it'd be released alongside another module/class), but we have datafile slots in the datamined files for a Dragonborn race. For them, we're looking at +2 Strength and Charisma (unsure what an alternate ability would be - probably intelligence) and an ability that makes it easier to hit when at half-health (probably translates into a damage bonus at low health). Speculate as you will, that's all the information we have on that particular race.

If you managed to read through all that, thanks for sitting and listening to my ramblings. Hope to see you in-game.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I might add THIS to this thread. Some yall might recon, the other, who knows. :o

Credits to a Reddit user (idk who he might be).
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I might add THIS to this thread. Some yall might recon, the other, who knows. :o

Credits to a Reddit user (idk who he might be).

oh ho ho! Chainmail for the warlock! This is good news. I was worried that between ranger, druid, rogue, and warlock, we'd have four leather armor users.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    oh ho ho! Chainmail for the warlock! This is good news. I was worried that between ranger, druid, rogue, and warlock, we'd have four leather armor users.

Don't be so sure. The HR gear there is also depicted with chain underneath.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Actually I believe itll be Leather, but everything is subject to change. Its been a long time since it showed up. Really long time. -_-
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
This discussion has been closed.