test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halloween Event. Thoughts.

Comments

• melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i wish cryptic would make nodes reset regardless of whether you take everything in it. i hit a couple of jack o' liars where there was only masks in them... someone else ganked the charms and ran. same thing happens with skill nodes... people gank the enchants out of 'em and leave everything else.

but... not complaining too much. i like the masks even if they're temp.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pitshade wrote: »
    When you first talk to the quest giver, he gives you ten liars marks to trade. You only need to trade five for the quest, but counting all of them, that's ten tokens plus the 15 you get as quest rewards, plus whatever you get outside of PE.

Technically you get 26 a day. 15 from each daily, plus 10 charms given, plus the 1 minimum charm you have to get outside of PE to earn the 3rd daily.
  • runes2001runes2001 Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2013
    Kristin from Bad to Worse rants about changes she'd like to see to the Masquerade of Liars event. Warning, she very Halloween-philic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Voyxiah3s
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I posted a reply.
    My typical response.

NO UR WRONG.

-><-

Hail Eris.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i actually lost parts of my soul watching that video. if you want to hear other peoples opinions about the masquerade of liars event, you don't really have to go far.

for the record, i tore it up and got two skele companions and two masks. and collected about 36 temp masks. and i'm not getting any cavities for it either.
  • valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Found it the most boring event yet. the swag wasnt very good either.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    It was a bit lack luster in my opinion, mostly because there wasn't anything I wanted except one pit fiend mask. I spent a little time farming the pumpkins for the coins/tokens and ended up with several temp masks that I gave out to less fortunate friends as well.
  • dndmasterdarkdndmasterdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    She cannot even click on 1 npc to hand in one charm, it took her what 4 trys? I can see why the lack of hand-eye coordination can be an issue in this event. No offense but cmon now.
    This event was good imo because only the persistant people that do not give up get the rewards, instead of people (and bots) that just farmed bags. Rewards in this game should not come cheap or they become worthless. But that is just my opinion. Dyes are at 4-5k a piece last I checked....which takes no more than 10-15 mins if you are fast at collections.
    Also after seeing everyone just use the Foundry to make farm quests, that probably had something to do with the design of this event.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't disagree with what was said in that video. I said in the other thread that I thought maybe it seemed a bit to grind-ish since it was so soon after the purse farm event.

Anyway, I'm hoping they tweak it a bit before next year. Make it fun. They've got the ambiance already, the decorations and theme look great. They just need to figure out something for players to do besides repeating the same task hundreds of times.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . I'm very disappointed to see the event not being extended and/or changed to be less of a grind before it ends. I have now missed almost two days of this event due to being hospitalized. Even still, the claim rate of the Tokens from doing the dailies does not match the rewards in the slightest. For one, the quests reward far too few token. For two, the turn in process is abysmally annoying. For three, the grind to gain more tokens out-side of the quests is just horrible. And finally the even was just far too short considering all the rewards and their price of tokens.

. . . . . I was hoping to get at least two Skeletons, one for each of my main two characters. I gave up on that idea on one of them and got her a cat mask instead. Now, I'm sitting with 403 tokens on my mage and the only thing I would want on him is the Skeleton, which I now would need to grind like a lunatic for the remaining hour and twenty minutes left of this event to even have a chance of getting it.

. . . . . I have not been so let down by a publishing company over marketing and delivery of a game since Atari. I'm seriously questioning the future now, and not just over this but this coupled with many other factors as of late.
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I have now missed almost two days of this event due to being hospitalized.

Not to derail the thread or stray too far off topic, but I hope that you're doing ok! Sending healing thoughts your way.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I loved the way PE was decorated. The masks were nice, got a Skelly friend, the dye colors are great (managed to collect a bunch for future use). But there was one very important thing missing from this event.

Where was.....

The Candy
    :mad:
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    I don't disagree with what was said in that video. I said in the other thread that I thought maybe it seemed a bit to grind-ish since it was so soon after the purse farm event.

Anyway, I'm hoping they tweak it a bit before next year. Make it fun. They've got the ambiance already, the decorations and theme look great. They just need to figure out something for players to do besides repeating the same task hundreds of times.

At first, I was Meh.... about the stuff you could get. Then I decided to participate, and get the Skeleton Companion, to add to my Army (Trying to get one of each, and not buying through Zen.)

The Permanent masks and Dyes were nice. Something different, but strictly cosmetic. The potions. Meh! Would have been better if they actually could be of use in specific dungeons. The one to make you smaller, to get into a secret treasure chamber, the one that makes you appear as something random, to help you get past a sub-boss, the one to make you bigger making it easier to jump across a chasm that is all but impossible without, to a special chest. You know, real purposes worth investing time.

I also did not like the Bind on Pickup, and would have preferred a Bind to Account on pickup.

A series of Halloween Costumes would have been a nice addition. Things like a Tiger Striped Cat Suit, a Winged Robe for an Angel, a Skeleton Body Suit, Ghostly Robes, etc... But limit them one to character.

Since the Illusionists were sponsoring it, why not permanent Illusion Enchantments. Say something like ghostly glowing effect, flaming effect (Could have several colors), smoking/shadow effect, blue flames, etc that go into a Utility slot on one piece of gear and effect the whole...

Heck, these Illusion Enchantments could have minor bonuses, and can be required to be combined with Coalescent Wards, have even greater bonuses.

So many possibilities.....

Perhaps next year.
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
    edited November 2013
    My only complaints were:

1) You were forced to stay in PE to not only convert the charms, but to get them at a reasonable rate. This often attributed to lag in PE, which removed some of the enjoyment. You got them much faster in PE than you did in combat elsewhere. It would have been better to have far fewer places to get them in PE, and most in buildings (Like they did have BTW. I went to the Sage Shop regularly when there were too many others scarfing them up in town, and never had a problem getting three of them each time.) They should have been a more common drop in combat, and routinely found in chests and profession spots.

2) Being able to turn them in only in PE also was a problem too, especially related to lag. See #1. It would have been better to have Illusionists scattered about the various zones, to collect them and convert them, like Bounties. After all, they celebrate such things on the front lines too, and which profession would be better at getting past monsters, than an Illusionist who could assume their shape and walk past?

3) They could have had a Achievement for finding the Illusionists scattered about the lands.

4) The Bind on Pickup was annoying. At least change that to Bind to Account on Pick Up, so a player could provide their alts with a Mask or some such.

5) The rewards were meh. I posted in another thread some ideas on what could have been added to make this much more enjoyable.

Just my views... Take them for what they are.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hello Everyone,

Although I some-what enjoyed the event(s) so far I have to be very honest I am quickly getting board with what has been done thus far, they are just mindless grind fests.

It's a shame that someone takes their time to design these events/areas as they are done well, the summer event area was very very nice ( the feel and the Look ), too bad Sharandar didn't have this same feel and look ( Seemed to be rushed, Graphically ) I wish they would have kept the " Summer event Area " for a questing. Our recent Hallo'een event, I only had enough in me to get 600 tokens and that was it and even that for me was a struggle.

I think my dis-like of the events started with the " Tower District " skirmish event I actually decided to go against my better judgement and try to start getting into these events but, sadly, it was the beginning of the end for my wanting involvement in these special attractions, For all the time that I put into that one I got nothing to show for all the hours.

For me...... Even though the design of the events/areas have a good atmosphere about them I would much rather see that time put into bug fixing/and customer support for the time being.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    PWE is a big fail when it comes to events for Neverwinter... the only good one so far was the mid summer festival.. this Halloween event was ran too short I didn't even get to hand in all my charms.. nor earn enough... some people have lives and kids and don't get to be on 24/7 to get enough charms to run around PE all day handing in those charms for tokens. even games like runescape and wow run there event for a 1/2 weeks AFTER the holiday is over not 4 days after. hell even the Mid Summer Festival lasted longer than this crappy event. I should have just worked on my APB:R event instead at least I would have got a wicked gun skin instead of pretty much nothing, with a bunch of useless charms taking up precious bag space for the next year.

ambisinisterr it appears were on the same page finally... ;) the "Forum Crusaders" agrees with your statments
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to echo a lot of the other sentiments in here. I really liked the event -- it was fun and it made me laugh more than once -- but I wish it had gone on longer, or that it had taken less time to earn tokens, or that there had been a surprise double-token reward toward the end like for Midsummer, or that the vendor prices had just been decreased by 25%-50%. I too didn't have time to devote to grinding because of family crises coming up and college professors synchronizing their homework deadlines (I swear they're telepathically linked or something). It's just frustrating that for the past two events, I earned almost enough currency to get so close to what I wanted to buy, only to come up a little short at the very end.

The Midsummer event was perfect -- everyone who had their fun early on was free to stop participating and do other stuff if they wanted, but then there was the surprise of more rewards for everyone who wanted to participate but didn't have as much free time. It would be more fun if other events could be more like that; yes, it should take some effort to earn prizes, but it needs to not take hours upon hours of grinding to do it either.

Edit note: Now that I've said that, there is one thing that made me happy: You guys made the random-drop masks BoE instead of BoP. Thanks for listening when we complained about that kind of thing during the Waukeen event. :)
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Overall, I think this was the worst event NW has had. Prices weren't too high and the system in place just amounted to a total grind with the 2 step process of getting coins.
    3) They could have had a Achievement for finding the Illusionists scattered about the lands.

Same for finding Pumpkins. Would have been even better if there was some really cleverly hidden pumpkins. Oh well, maybe another event could have it. I wonder if there is any holidays that involve hiding small objects....
    4) The Bind on Pickup was annoying. At least change that to Bind to Account on Pick Up, so a player could provide their alts with a Mask or some such.

At the moment it would be a pointless change as there is no account bank and you can't mail bound items. So the few items that are bound to account function the same as bound to character item.
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    At the moment it would be a pointless change as there is no account bank and you can't mail bound items. So the few items that are bound to account function the same as bound to character item.

In effect there is, you could make it so the ONLY address they can be mailed to is your @XXXXXXX account. (No John@Doe mailing allowed.)
    Psyb3rTr011
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey all, thanks so much for all of the great (and constructive) feedback on the event! We're looking through it so that we can make our future events even better. Cheers!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I liked the event and the decorations and the atmosphere in general, but there was no way in Baator that I would have run around Protectors Enclave and trade 600 Charms one by one. I liked the Skeleton, but when I log in to a game I don't do it to run around like an idiot for hours. To those people who actually did that - I mean no offense. Congratulations on your Skeleton Companion! You guys earned it. I just couldn't do it. For what Charms I gathered doing my dailies, I got a few Dye Packs, which look great.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    In effect there is, you could make it so the ONLY address they can be mailed to is your @XXXXXXX account. (No John@Doe mailing allowed.)

I think it would be more worthwhile for them to work on account banks instead of modifying the mail system.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can understand the experiment of having rovers to turn in, assuming what the public was saying is true: that it's a way to combat bots. It was annoying, but worth it.

What wasn't worth it, however, was the skeleton. Maybe it was because I was stoked for the purple one. Oh well. Now, with sword coast adventures coming out, I reaaaallly wish I had worked to achieved it. Oh well.

The dye pack was the best holiday one yet IMO. Really would be cool if colors would be released in singles, rather than packs. Or at least slowly add to what you can get in the zen store..

Oh... and buggy achievement that we complained about from day 1 that no one ever got back to us on? buggy achievement that we complained about from day 1 that no one ever commented to us on? Not all that cool = /. I understand there are/were/will be other priorities with Module 2. But uh... yeah. You can see it caused some bit of stir and confusion.

Over all, not my favorite event. But maaaaan did PE look amazing.
    contents to be decided
  • griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited November 2013
    After getting a skeleton companion for 2 toons, I have to say that I did not enjoy the event. It was meant to be fun, but the amount of tokens needed for one companion was too much and made the event too grindy, a real chore and not fun to do at all. The method of handing in the charms just exacerbated the already grindy nature of the event.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Positives:
    1. PE looked very cool
    2. Masks look great

Negatives:
    1. Pure grind, and painful at that
    2. Coolest masks (IMO) are a) temporary and b) can't be used for transmuting helmets - if the Illusionists can wear them with armor robes, why can't we?
    3. No option for Mask's mask
    4. Achievement was random at best
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As far as I can tell, the achievement came from having Mask say anything except for the 'about to change' dialog. I got it on 3 of my chars. I found this out too late to try and get it for the others. It didn't seem to show up on the journal and was easy to miss, so they may have it anyway.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    With the number of toons I have this is the first event they have done that I have not felt like I got a lot accomplished. The large amount needed to get a skeleton companion and my limited play time I was not able to accomplish a lot with my characters.

In the future, maybe take into consideration people with limited play time and multiple toons having the ability to at least feel like they accomplished something during the event.

I did enjoy the decorations and they mask looked great even though I could only obtain the temporary ones and that was not anything I was going to waste my resources on.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Red the first few pages of this epic complaint ad gotta say:

It was a lighthearted, well-decorated mini-game put together for us by the devs who are currently also working on scads of new content. Without putting any real effort into it and only hitting the illusionist I came across on my way, I got a Halloween colors dye pack which I am pretty happy about.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF