test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halloween Event. Thoughts.

vullonvullon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello,

I personally like Halloween events. The town is well decorated.. but that's it for me. This event makes me feel like a messenger running around delivering charms for tokens. Is this all to do? Do I get the chance to use my weapons at all? This game is loaded monsters to use in a Halloween themed dungeon. It doesn't take much time to use the foundry, tools they gave us to create dungeons. I think this game's strong point is its gameplay/combat system. Use it! :)

One of my favorite events of Halloween was in World of Warcraft, fighting the headless horsemen and stopping him from burning down a village.

What's yours?
Post edited by vullon on

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Compared to other events in Neverwinter, this one is ... well, not very impressive. The summer festival was really great, and the invasion event was OK. Of course, nobody is forced to participate in the event, so I don't really get why some people are complaining - as for myself, I'm going to get a skeleton companion, a permanent mask and some dyes...that's all I want, and running around in circles in PE to exchange the charms I get anyhow while doing my Sharandar dailies is not big issue for me.

*shrug* ... and we don't grow pumpkins or celebrate Halloween in my country for that matter so it's not like the fesival was something I was really looking forward to.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • netrunnnnrnetrunnnnr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Neverwinter events as a whole are LACKING.. Guild Wars 2 had AWESOME events.. for their Halloween you were able to actually trick or treat, fly around on a witches broom, put down a cauldron where people could drink out of and turn into something and they also ALWAYS had event dungeons..Halloween themed and christmas themed dungeons..One would think in a game where PLAYERS could make dungeons(Foundries) that the devs could have easily put in a event Dungeon...SMH
  • seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think, given the issues with bots, and that they don't want to give away valuable stuff, events should focus on short, fun dailies and boss fights, with a lot of visual appeal, some lore, and drops that are BOP. No grinding, so the BOP isn't a big deal, but no profit, either, just fun. Maybe some daily buffs, that sort of thing.
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Overall I like the environment changes a lot and the event itself has a very nice vibe. However, I am rather annoyed that I have to farm charms to just turn those in ONE AT A TIME to NPC's all over PE.

I'll do it though. I want the skeleton pet and the dyes.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Scenery: good.
    Event: Rubbish.

It doesn't even qualify as an event. I'd go so far as to say that the quest/event designers should be embaressed.

I mean, its not like they don't have Foundry tools at their disposal :p
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like the mood/setting but the "find 600 distinct npcs to talk to one time each to get the big reward" is kind of lame.

I was really, really, really hoping for a chest costume piece. We get pants and hats out the wazoo, but never a chest item. WHY???

I dunno if I am even going to grind out a skelly. I sort of want one BUT these pets are mostly just visual flavor, and fairly poor (compared to a stone etc) for practical use. Its a lot of hunting down NPCs to get one.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    I like the mood/setting but the "find 600 distinct npcs to talk to one time each to get the big reward" is kind of lame.

I was really, really, really hoping for a chest costume piece. We get pants and hats out the wazoo, but never a chest item. WHY???

I dunno if I am even going to grind out a skelly. I sort of want one BUT these pets are mostly just visual flavor, and fairly poor (compared to a stone etc) for practical use. Its a lot of hunting down NPCs to get one.

You do realize they are rolling out a new system with their next update, that REWARDS you based on how many companions you have collected. Details are hazy, but they implied useful rewards.
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's odd you know, for me, visually it's charming, and I actually love the way it's set up so that while you're in PE doing other stuff, you can incidentally get a few tokens while you're running around.

But then I guess I'm not aiming for a particular goal in the event; I'm using it only as part of play in which I'm fixed on my other, long-term goals. For that it fits beautifully and is fun.

My only little goal in the event is I hope to get enough dyes to kit out a capped main by the end of the event. But I guess if I were grinding for a skellie I might feel differently.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Eh, sure, it's not a huge event with lots of special tasks etc. It's basically decorations and lore mostly, something to do - a diversion between main game happenings, not something to spend days on. May not be super-exciting, but seems just fine to me. Not sure why people expect every event to be the scale of an expansion :rolleyes:

And who knows, maybe there will be something else to it at later stages of the event.

Anyone have screenshots of the masks/dyes yet btw?
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thesensai wrote: »
    You do realize they are rolling out a new system with their next update, that REWARDS you based on how many companions you have collected. Details are hazy, but they implied useful rewards.

Well that's just *bad word*. Just because collecting subpar companions isn't a thing for me, that part of the game is gated?
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Anyone have screenshots of the masks/dyes yet btw?

ZN6lJSk.jpg
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    adinosii wrote: »
    Of course, nobody is forced to participate in the event, so I don't really get why some people are complaining

What you call complaining other people call giving feedback. Call it what you want but it's one of the major purposes of the forums here: to discuss the game. Which includes the bad (perceived or otherwise) as well as the good.
  • deadskipdeadskip Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Are there any (non-exploit!) short cuts in this event?

In the midsummer event you could mail the blossom bags to other characters so that some of your characters could quickly accumulate petals, but in this event everything seems to be BOP.

How on earth is one character supposed to acquire 600 merits in a week???
  • yuccapalmyuccapalm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    If you dont want to farm the pet just wait till the end of the event and buy it. It will most likely be under 200k ad anyway.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The event is fun, love to see PE at night, having to look for the npc's to change the tokens might be a bit frustrating for those who ned to do it hundreds of times, but I only care about the dyes and maybe just maybe the cat mask, so it's not too bad.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    deadskip wrote: »
    How on earth is one character supposed to acquire 600 merits in a week???

Depends on how much spare time you have. It is easy to get 60/hour ... possible to get 100/hour (or even more) with good planning, a bit of luck and a fast mount.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Event is fine. Halloween is not my style, but I have no problem with the way it's delivered. Nice and simple. I have other games for head-scratching. In NWN is far from great, but if I want puzzles or more challenge I have other styles of game in my library.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The event LOOKS cool, but I have no use for the rewards. That midsummer festival had some great rewards with all those buff potions.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
    edited October 2013
    Well the dyes are cheap and fast to get, I guess that's good :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I love this people complaining that its just a show piece nothing really to do run around dropping off things one at a time.

I bet this wasnt what the devs had planned for. This event was rushed to get it live in time. If they stuck to the normal month late like the last event befor this then it would of had more things to do in it.

I just love watching this stuff.
  • andferne3andferne3 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I've enjoyed the event so far. So no complaints here. Gives me something to do between Que pops, or while I'm talking with friends instead of 'grinding'.
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    andferne3 wrote: »
    I've enjoyed the event so far. So no complaints here. Gives me something to do between Que pops, or while I'm talking with friends instead of 'grinding'.

I dont get this que thing. I been playing Swtor i pug in that game it takes anywhere from 1 sec - 5 min so far for me to get into a dungeon. Thats if i use the group finder. This game it still takes hour or 2 to get into one then some idiot leaves and your stuck reque all over again.
  • faerenifaereni Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm enjoying myself. I agree it is annoying to turn these things one at a time, but I've found a good pace where it doesn't feel as bad. I've been making great pace without needing to grind. It's also nice that given the leveling speed this game has, I can use a low-level character for the event without risking extra xp from "grinding", whereas killing trolls and kobolds during Midsummer made my lowbie level up pretty quick. Granted I'm getting xp from the actual quests still, but I'm not "watching the budget" as hard. This way any achievements (as I am a hunter for them) can be gotten on them as well. It's a very small detail but I appreciate it.

They even took our suggestions from last time and decided to release rewards as the event progresses. However the rewards to me are lackluster. They fit for the event, though. I sort of expected the masks but I had this fanciful thought that the masks would also transform us temporarily, like the potions. I've been turned into a pig and a dog before, why can't we for x minutes be a Hewer or something with the mask being either a one-time use or have an extensive cooldown? Possible problems would be the mounts and maybe the fight animations, I can see, but well... I felt it were still an option. For what we have, I like, and I see others enjoying themselves. I am wary of head fashions since the Tiefling horns don't usually cooperate nicely with that stuff. :(

My favorite part though?
    The dialogue of the Illusionists. Some are lame but endearing. This is just a few of them, disregarding any actual "realistically in character" attempts by them.

Battle Wight:
    How much would a battle wight battle if a battle wight could battle wights?
    They call me a Battle Wight Commander, but wights are very self-motivated.

Drider:
    I asked for great legs and this is what I got?!
    If this is Lolth's blessing, I don't want to know what her punishment is!

High Priestess:
    It wasn't easy growing up tall in a cave.

Valindra:
    I am Valindra Shadomantle and I have no sense of humor!

Troll:
    Does anyone know a good bridge with vacancy?

Beholder:
    You'd all be dead if I had any hands!
    Bet you're wondering how I move without feet.

I'll have to go find more, that's all I remember from last night. It makes me want to have more illusions for them to joke about though.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    ZN6lJSk.jpg

Holy BATMAN. Must have :o
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    . . . . . The only gripe I have is how tedious the turn in is for the Charms. That there makes me only want to do this on a couple characters, which really sucks as I can tell they put a lot of effort into this. I'd really like to enjoy it and not be annoyed when turning in my charms.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My thoughts:

- more useless stuff
    - useless companion
    - useless masks
    - useless temporary items
    - semi-useless dye

What I would like the event to reward us with:

- useful companion, max rank 25
    - BoE fashion items
    - epic unique mount
    - rich lore from an extended, epic quest line with epic rewards at the end

Thanks for reading :\
  • enzododenzodod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited October 2013
    Hmm, I like the decorations, but running in circles in PE made me realized how quiet the whole place is. Maybe some event fitting music could be included in PE? That will make running round in circles less boring for me. :D
    edited October 2013
    I would love for PE to have a special halloween tune, but I don't see that happening for such a short event.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    General disappointment at implementation of the event.

Limit on farming/turning in holiday currency seems set too low to be worth the time of most players. Maybe removing the pumpkin limit but keeping the turn-in rate to illusionists? For example, to get the companion you will either get lucky, grind foundries/quests, or do the same pumpkin action 600 times to get it.

I don't quite understand the point of selling some temporary masks, some permanent masks, and having temporary ones drop occasionally from pumpkins.

Sad that there aren't more costumes that could be completed in parts via quests or farmings. Similar to the two/three pieces for the Midsummer event.

Over all, Midsummer was done much, much better than this or the previous event (seriously, gold pants? but nothing else?).

I can say it LOOKS wonderful and will be great for RP, even with the Mask being overfilled.
  • devocutdevocut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was hoping for something like the Valindra invasion (my favorite thus far) with a Halloween theme. Oh well, having a variety of events is good I suppose. Cryptic is basically giving away free items so I can't really complain.

As for the purple to green skeleton switch, Halloween is about "trick or treating" and I guess everyone received the trick. Ha Ha.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Gold dye on pantaloons. MC Hammer time.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas