test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halloween Event. Thoughts.

Comments

• bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    So, time spent = acquiring items with zero functionality.

Not sure what is happening here... what is happening here, what event?
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    So, time spent = acquiring items with zero functionality.

Not sure what is happening here... what is happening here, what event?

Not even any achievements to validate grinding. I don't consider 'invisible' ones (like the supposed witness of mask) to be real. If it doesn't show up in my achievement tracker its not a real achievement.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The mask achievement doesn't appear on the achievements list? aw too bad, I just got it randomly.
    At least I got some very cheap dyes and I'm close to getting the cat mask.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    im sure they will fix the achievement ... the green masks in the store Really should be blue perma masks. all masks should be BOE.
    ther is no point in making fashion objects BOP. its not like being able to buy cat ears down the line will ruin the economy.
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I tried to get every Pumpkin in the game.

I think I done that but no achievement.

Is there one hiding in the VIP area of the Mask???

For those who are looking - every inside shop has 3 except Mask which has 2. This includes PVP Vendor, Transformation vendor, The Scribe place (I call it the library), the Inn, Companion sellers etc...

There are also some tricky ones, on a roof heading West from the Invoking Priestess and a another one a bit hidden from sight - right in front of her - just over the balcony railing (if that is what I can call it)!!!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ok... after doing a little grinding in this event over the past three days, here's what i think of it:

it's pretty easy to get 100 masquerade tokens in an hour. through the event vendor's dailys, you get 15 tokens + 10 charms which equates to 25 tokens without doing mass grinding. when i left PE to get a charm to fulfill the third daily quest, i farmed for about half an hour and had about 30-35 charms. went back to PE, turned in my quest and then it took about five minutes to get my count down below 5 so i could do a little pumpkin grinding. then it's just running around PE, trading charms for tokens and farming pumpkins. i got at least 40-50 tokens in about a half hour.

i'm grinding solely for the skele companion... i'm interested in seeing what kind of bonuses it will give when module 2 goes live. i'm also a collector so... i've got all kinds of creatures in my idle slots.

i was kind of thinking that it would be pretty awesome if valindra decided to attack mid-event... but if this was kept unannounced until it actually happened... it would be chaos and it would be pretty cool. real enemies walking the streets of PE mixed in with the illusionists... mmm. that would drive people insane.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Didn't notice til the 2nd day...

You can stay in the City and get all the tokens you need --
    plus an occasional free mask. (Have gotten beholder, unicorn and pumpkin.) You just need
    to stay below 5 tokens and keep grabbing new ones from the larger (sparkling) pumpkins
    at many doorways. Finding/reaching the obscure ones is fun.

Of course you'd better be on a near empty instance, or the pumpkins are gone
    for awhile til they respawn.

PS The Illusionists are creatively awesome. Special thanks to the animators.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jintortle wrote: »
    I tried to get every Pumpkin in the game.

I think I done that but no achievement.

Is there one hiding in the VIP area of the Mask???

For those who are looking - every inside shop has 3 except Mask which has 2. This includes PVP Vendor, Transformation vendor, The Scribe place (I call it the library), the Inn, Companion sellers etc...

There are also some tricky ones, on a roof heading West from the Invoking Priestess and a another one a bit hidden from sight - right in front of her - just over the balcony railing (if that is what I can call it)!!!
    Am trying for the same. There is at least one in every enterable building. The Trade of Blades has 3. The Armor dealer in the mall has one. Go PAST the return gate from the Mask (walk thru it without hitting F)... just don't fall off! :) Be sure to go to the little pub on the right side of town (forget the name). Can't think of any other difficult ones. Just look all around every building for the rest.

I really hope theres not one in the VIP Room. Assuming there is an achievement to be had.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seems to be a misconception within the first couple of posts that the Devs also use the foundry to create content, they don't. They have a more complicated set of tools to create content. Besides, if the devs did use the foundry to create a Halloween dungeon, people would be complaining about how lazy they are for using existing content to create something. Just be happy you got anything at all.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Yes, there is a pumpkin in the VIP room as well as an Illusionist.
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    So this event seems like it was rushed to get something out in time. The event before this was a month or 45 days late. IE midsummer at the beginning of fall. I knew this event was either going to be minimal or a month late. I guess minimal is better then late. At least they got something out in time, even if its really not that great of an event.

Well the game isnt like WoW they dont have the man power and programming skills of that company to compete with. So at least they got something done.

I am glad in Starwars ToR they dont do these holiday type events. Then they put more into making the game better.
  • fablernfablern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I love to collect random stuff but there is no way I could get the Skeleton and masks for even 2 of my characters.... the Summer Festival was very well planned and executed in terms of duration, quests and rewards... this one is just insane!! They should either increase the number of tokens exchanged per interaction or reduce the total tokens required for the pet and masks... Just a suggestion!
    edited November 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    Seems to be a misconception within the first couple of posts that the Devs also use the foundry to create content, they don't. They have a more complicated set of tools to create content. Besides, if the devs did use the foundry to create a Halloween dungeon, people would be complaining about how lazy they are for using existing content to create something. Just be happy you got anything at all.

yup. the foundry editor is a simplified version of the tools they use.
    edited November 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    So this event seems like it was rushed to get something out in time. The event before this was a month or 45 days late. IE midsummer at the beginning of fall. I knew this event was either going to be minimal or a month late. I guess minimal is better then late. At least they got something out in time, even if its really not that great of an event.

Well the game isnt like WoW they dont have the man power and programming skills of that company to compete with. So at least they got something done.

I am glad in Starwars ToR they dont do these holiday type events. Then they put more into making the game better.

apparently you haven't been to the test server to see everything they've been working on.
    edited November 2013
    fablern wrote: »
    I love to collect random stuff but there is no way I could get the Skeleton and masks for even 2 of my characters.... the Summer Festival was very well planned and executed in terms of duration, quests and rewards... this one is just insane!! They should either increase the number of tokens exchanged per interaction or reduce the total tokens required for the pet and masks... Just a suggestion!

it is possible towards the end of the event that there will be an increase in charm/token exchange.

i actually think the 5 limit in PE was an awesome idea... prevent people just farming charms all at once. you have to farm and trade, farm and trade. :)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    it is possible towards the end of the event that there will be an increase in charm/token exchange.

i actually think the 5 limit in PE was an awesome idea... prevent people just farming charms all at once. you have to farm and trade, farm and trade. :)

Well, there's nothing stopping someone from farming then just doing laps of PE to turn in the talismans, so it's not like you *have* to farm, turn in, farm, turn in, etc...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • walldohwalldoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For me there are glaring problems with the "holiday" event.
    1)exchange tokens one at a time. If this were bumped up to 5 at a time or better this would not seem like such a waste of time. As it is, once you collect a hundred of the items to turn in, you literally spend a couple hours just delivering them
    2) Making it so you have to deliver to different masqueraders is almost pure insanity. Sometimes when you approach a trader you don't know if you just don't have the turn in items or if that's the last trader you spoke with. Sure you can look at your inventory and discover, but this just adds the time and labor unnecessarily
    3) Making many of the traders roaming, while visually appealing has it's challenges. Since your popup for "press F to talk to" doesn't immediately appear, and the trader is walking away, a few things happen. A) you sometimes try to hit F before the trader walks away and actually get the menu to talk to one of the many other people trying to flag down the trader or B) the mob moves out of your way, so you have to start the process all over again. All unnecessary time wasters.
    4) Giving us only the first 2 dailies to turn around and wait for those turnins to get the final one that you can do in your normal daily grind is another time waster. Why not give us all 3 at the same time so we can go about our business and enjoy the holiday at the same time?
    5) I felt more like a parent lugging around an almost unwilling child to an endless supply of "treaters". I did not feel engaged in the event in any way shape or form, it was just a matter of farming for the sake of the items I want. A holiday should not be made to feel like a chore, but a celebration. This one was simply a chore. Sure, I didn't have to lug my unrilling child around in circles, but that is the entirety of the event, so I did.
    6) the pumpkins that could be reaped were in very odd locations requiring some tricky jumps. Another unnecessary time waster unless this was to be classified under the "trick" section of trick or treating.
    7) the decorations were nice, the transformation of the masqueraders were generally very pleasing to view.
    8) this goes for the many special events -- it is apparent that we are being forced to visit the floating island in the sky for completion of some parts of special events because frankly there is little to no other use for the location. Give it up already.
    9) Since Skirmishes are the flavor of the day, a nice pumpkin head tossing skirmish would have been a real treat or something of the sort. In addition, the pvp realms were left untouched. What, our soldiers on the front line do not get to enjoy the holiday when out battling for the honor of their side?
    10) For the most part, the rewards for your hard labor during the holiday are not what one expects given it's timely proximity to the treat hoarding holiday. At least when folks put forth the effort during the Earth based holiday they usually get a good heaping of things they can enjoy until their bellies ache and teeth fall out. The rewards do not match the effort by a long shot.
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is my favourite event thus far. There's so much detail. Scattered pumpkins, illusionist costumes and dialogue, lore entries.

My heart is warmed every time I mouse-over a pumpkin and see "less than 5 Liar's Charms". I imagine Mask laughing at an angry prescriptivist. On the other hand, Mask tricked me today by switching from Liar's Night to Liars' Night in the lore entries.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Interesting.

A lot of people seem to miss the point of why this is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> event.

The stuff you do in the event is not fun. Its not based on skill or brainpower or any kind of stimulating interaction. Its box clicking tedium with a small reward at the end of it. Cryptic put in a low value reward and made some very tedious gameplay then tried to hide the tedious gameplay behind the fluff reward.

Its quite appalling really.

To those of you that would answer "Then just don't do it." ... I didn't. I tried it out, realized it was just a Not Fun experience with extrinsic rewards.

I'm amazed at how many people are fooled by this type of 'event'.

As I mentioned in my previous post - the scenery is good, I really like what they did with Protector's Spamclave. The event itself though is the worst kind of lazy output.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
    edited November 2013
    ...snip...

you're allowed to have your opinion about the event but so are other people. it's okay that they don't agree with you. their enjoyment is actually personal and it won't affect you in any way whatsoever. :)
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    you're allowed to have your opinion about the event but so are other people. it's okay that they don't agree with you. their enjoyment is actually personal and it won't affect you in any way whatsoever. :)

Indeed, its perfectly fine.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • diomedes3diomedes3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just wish i could a get a permanent pumpkin head. :(
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Events will always have superficial rewards because substantive rewards would undermine the game's intended reward structure, and frustrate players who missed the event.

Events will usually have shallow gameplay, because developers don't waste deep gameplay on something that lasts a week. The least trivial gameplay in an event thus far was chicken-chasing, and then only if you tried to herd multiple chickens at once.

This is a good event when judged by the standard that events are essentially disposable content.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • walldohwalldoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The reason we discuss these things is that the events are generally *not* disposable content. They are recycled content with an annual frequency and next year if nothing remains changed, those that felt the event lacking luster will feel that way again. When people feel content lacks luster, they tend to quit. Quitting people has a tendency to make the entire game a little worse for the wear, revenues lost, fewer people to do content with, etc. It is important not to assume just because this is a short lived event it should not match up with the same quality the rest of the game has. Frankly I'd rather see no event whatsoever than one of this nature that may show back up next year in its same format.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I enjoyed the event, got the permanent cat mask, 3 cheap halloween dyes, and because the costumes were 25% off I bought one too.
    What did you guys expect? An epic purple armor set for a halloween event?
    I agree with two30, this is just a halloween event, not a new expansion or module, that's coming later and it has lots of interesting things.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    5 tokens per mission for 13 hrs wait timers? it should have been 25 instead of 5.
    better off collecting in combat zones where you can get several dozens.

temporary pumpkon helm/mask? not worth burning the tokens for them, they go away in few hours.
  • enzododenzodod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    Personally, I feel that this event is not as enjoyable as the Midsummer's one. But I still like it enough to grind charms for my toons.

I am fine with the mind numbing "running in circles in PE to turn in charms 1 at a time" part (because I have no life and I like routines that doesn't require much brain power:)) as I find it relaxing. I usually do it late at night when there are less people in PE and stop when I find myself falling asleep. :)

I love the thrill of unexpectedly getting free temp masks from pumpkins.

I like the decorations and the idea of illusionists turning into monsters is brilliant! (minimal work for the devs as they already have all the monsters' skins)

The only thing that gets on my nerves a bit is the countless times I accidentally used my number 1 daily while turning in charms...the wait to click F and interaction time with illusionists can be improved IMHO.

Overall, good job for the event, especially for a relatively new game where resources are mainly channeled into content creation and maintenance.
  • emmalineremmaliner Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My main thought is that I really hope future events DON'T take place in protector's Enclave - the server lag is bad enough, but when there's an event like this on, it's just hopeless. Also, what others have said about both not getting enough tokens for each quest you can only do every x-number of hours, and the rewards not being all that great/temporary items. The Midsummer event was great, by comparison, and the way I'd like to see things done in the future: Good, mixed quests, decent rewards and stuff to buy *and* Professions tied in.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . I love almost the entirety of this event. The only thing I do not like is the tedious nature of turning in the charms. Too much clicking. I should only have to click once to turn them in, not two different buttons. That on top of having to run between so many Illusionists is just too tedious for me to enjoy turning them in. Please, remove the annoying dialog when turning in the charms. Thanks.
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is there a trick to getting em questing? Did my Shandahar dailies and got 7. 600 is gonna take forever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]