test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halloween Event. Thoughts.

Comments

• lucidproph3cylucidproph3cy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah I got about 700 liar's charms and haven't decided if it even worth trading because you can only trade one at a time which was a bad idea, but I assume they did it so boters don't flood the market with them. That's my only downfall about the event otherwise I like the theme and decoration they did do a good job just wished we had more than CtA or farm events. Special dungeons would be cool for custom loot or something to change the pace.
  • griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited November 2013
    PRO:
    Like the presentation of the event. It looks great.

CON:
    Feel like 600 charms for the companion is a bit much. I can see players with not much free time or with many alts getting burned on this. Also, handing in the charms one at a time and needing to go to different NPCs can get incredibly tedious.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kwequa wrote: »
    Is there a trick to getting em questing? Did my Shandahar dailies and got 7. 600 is gonna take forever.

honestly, i found that grinding in PE was way faster than collecting charms in other zones. when you collect 600 charms, you still have to come back to PE and trade them.

in PE, you have a cap of 5 charms before you have to start trading them with the illusionists. i found myself running around, collecting charms and trading them at the rate of about 3-5 every 2 minutes. also, by farming the jack 'o liars you have a chance to get a temporary mask in the drop. i have at least 12 from my grind. these are not BoP and can be traded, sold or mailed to your alts.
  • korgulltekorgullte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited November 2013
    I have to agree that the companion cost is a bit much for the amount of running around you need to do to get one. Other than that I have no complaints.
  • krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Event would of been cool if I didn't have to run around town trading one token at a time. Especially when the game decides I want to trade with anybody within 100 feet of me even when I am right in front of a vendor/quest giver/etc. As it is I will trade enough to get an even amount so I'm not stuck with these in my inventory as "can't discard/sell" and ignore the event entirely.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Yes, there is a pumpkin in the VIP room as well as an Illusionist.
    I'm gonna be crushed if there's an Achievement for collecting all of them, and I can't get that one!

Yeah, easily amused, easily crushed. :)
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kwequa wrote: »
    Is there a trick to getting em questing? Did my Shandahar dailies and got 7. 600 is gonna take forever.
    The fastest way is going to an empty instance of the City and grinding 5 pumpkins/illusionists repeatedly while running in a wide circle around the shopping mall.

Alternately, you can go to an empty instance (near your player level) and grind on packs of weaker monsters. This does not have a very good ratio, though. Stick to the first plan if you can handle it. Or mix the two to avoid insanity.

Either way, all those tokens have to be turned in one at a time, each to a different illusionist. I'm doing the fighting method now, in the hope they double the turn-in/payout at the end, like the Summer Festival. ...but I got 600 mask-tokens first, using the Mall method, just to have it locked up.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • enzododenzodod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited November 2013
    I started the farming mobs method first. Got about 800+ charms (100 to 120 charms per hour of farming). Took me another 2 hours to turn them into tokens (I have a slow piggy :P).
    Then I did the running in circles in PE method, turning in charms as I pick them up from pumpkins around the market area, it was much faster, provided you are in an empty instance.
    So I stopped farming mobs. Besides, farming pumpkins is more rewarding as you will get free temp. masks.
  • radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited November 2013
    Hmm.. I just put on an Eye Tyrant mask (Temporary) picked up from a pumpkin and when I mouse over the mask to see the tool tip, I cannot find a timer/counter that counts down the 8 hours...does this means the mask is permanent??
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    radtatat wrote: »
    Hmm.. I just put on an Eye Tyrant mask (Temporary) picked up from a pumpkin and when I mouse over the mask to see the tool tip, I cannot find a timer/counter that counts down the 8 hours...does this means the mask is permanent??

no, they are definitely temp...just no timer.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited November 2013
    Ah...I was hoping this was a "trick" and "treat" from the devs lol
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . Another thing that has just come to me in discussions with others is that just by doing the quests you get only 25 Tokens total per day, so there would need to be 24 days to get 600 tokens. The top reward should be doable by the daily quests every day of the event in any Event like these. There is far too many unaccounted for Tokens not gain-able in the Dailies to make it enjoyable to casual players. In this form it is far too grindy. Beef up the reward from the Quests to match the top end reward and that would remove much of the grind, allowing casuals to just do it daily and others to pick and choose how they want to do it, grind and dailies or what-not.

. . . . . Grinding PE for the pumpkins is faster than grinding off mobs. However, this is so tedious and repetitive that it is too much for me to enjoy. Having a limit of only 5 on the pumpkins need to be dropped as well as the dialog step in turning in the charms for tokens. I should only have to click on them once to turn them in.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Events are supposed to be fun.

That means 15 minutes a day grinding. Not hours a day to get just a single item.
    And preferably that would be 15 minutes a day per account not per character.

I'm all for grinds but don't make grindy events. Make the actual game progression slower and let these fun events be fun rather than a chore.
  • fablernfablern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . Another thing that has just come to me in discussions with others is that just by doing the quests you get only 25 Tokens total per day, so there would need to be 24 days to get 600 tokens. The top reward should be doable by the daily quests every day of the event in any Event like these. There is far too many unaccounted for Tokens not gain-able in the Dailies to make it enjoyable to casual players. In this form it is far too grindy. Beef up the reward from the Quests to match the top end reward and that would remove much of the grind, allowing casuals to just do it daily and others to pick and choose how they want to do it, grind and dailies or what-not.

. . . . . Grinding PE for the pumpkins is faster than grinding off mobs. However, this is so tedious and repetitive that it is too much for me to enjoy. Having a limit of only 5 on the pumpkins need to be dropped as well as the dialog step in turning in the charms for tokens. I should only have to click on them once to turn them in.

Totally agree.. I guess all they could do now is to reduce the asking price for the pet and masks by about 50%.. It's the only way I could possibly consider getting these rewards for my alts.
  • jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

I agree 100% with everything you said except for the part about dropping the limit of only 5 pumpkins at a time. If they removed this limit, 2 or 3 (it might take more) players could wipe out all of the pumpkins in the zone very quickly by continuously farming them in non-stop loops that were sized to the respawn rate. Having to stop and turn the tolkens in every so often gives other players a chance to get some. I think this is partly why them made it so you can only turn in one at a time too. Unfortunately that part really sucks.

This is an event where they could have made all of the rewards BOP (except for the Dye) and made them easily attainable. There was no real RNG here, unless you count the drop rate from farming mobs, so BOP is not bad for this event. Just doing the dailies should have been enough for everyone to get a skeleton and one mask. If you wanted all of the masks you should have to put in a little more effort, but not too much more.
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    20 hours of farming in PE for a skeleton is great fun guys.
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    apparently you haven't been to the test server to see everything they've been working on.

Yes i have been the overpowered ranger class. Is so over powered i didnt even get hit once until the end boss of the first little dungeon crawl in PE. I did like the new attack mechanic of the telegraphing cone shot that was cool and neat. Nice to see people ripping off wildstar before it even gets launched. LOL I didnt checkout the shandarhar or whatever its called. Its probly going to be just like the last mod 1. Grind the same quests over and over and over ..... for no advancment.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    jarlsburg wrote: »
    I agree 100% with everything you said except for the part about dropping the limit of only 5 pumpkins at a time. If they removed this limit, 2 or 3 (it might take more) players could wipe out all of the pumpkins in the zone very quickly by continuously farming them in non-stop loops that were sized to the respawn rate. Having to stop and turn the tolkens in every so often gives other players a chance to get some. I think this is partly why them made it so you can only turn in one at a time too. Unfortunately that part really sucks.
    . . . . . The way this would work in favor of a removal of the 5 limit would be to just make them only visible to individual players. Disappearing for you only when you loot it while still being there for others. Then make their respawn rate slightly higher, but not much, to account for the change.
  • jarlsburgjarlsburg Member Posts: 222 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    That ^ would work nicely.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I enjoyed the event, got the permanent cat mask, 3 cheap halloween dyes, and because the costumes were 25% off I bought one too.
    What did you guys expect? An epic purple armor set for a halloween event?

Sure if you just want a mask and a few dyes you can pretty much get that with not much hassle by doing the 3 tasks each day along with light farming. Go for the skeleton and you might start to enjoy it a bit less. The content and such is fine it's just the execution that most people have an issue with. 600 turnins it just tedious and becomes more work than fun.

Nobody was expecting an epic purple armor set.
  • meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The event was ok. I like the Pit Fiend Mask.

There should've been some fighting involved. I hope they'll bring Valindra's Invasion back one day.
  • ulkaurulkaur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's typical that the masks that required little thought are the ones they chose to be permanent. Cat ears? Demon horns?

Were eye tyrant and jack-o-lanterns just too cool to be allowed to be permanent? Seriously, one for the "little to no thought" column of the game.

It's sad when the best item to come out of a holiday event is a dyepack.
  • sigwald01sigwald01 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm glad NW celebrated Halloween! I loved the nocturnal ambiance and cool decorations in PE. I initially planned on skipping the whole pumpkin grind thing until I decided I needed the skelly companion. I think I ended up spending 3-4 grueling/drooling hours spread over three days to get my 800+ coins but I'm done now and have a lvl12 skelly named Woodhouse and a pitfiend mask and gnarled withered fingers : ) I would have wished for the jack o lantern pumpkin mask to have been a permanent though as others have mentioned (On Halloween day I took a brief run through blacklake district totally geared as the headless horseman, one shotting whole mobs and reviving fellow adventurers). Thanks PWE!
    Volaticum Letum
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so i got the pit fiend mask and as a tiefling, i now have two sets of horns. i also dyed the mask with the event dye so it's black with orange-y yellow horns and teeth. looks almost japanese/kabuki-esque.

and my skele companion looks rawr.
  • sigmattsigmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The event was a flop. There's a first for everything.
    Is this actually the first time where Cryptic announces a game event ahead of time? Being that it is Halloween you'd expect it to be, at worst, a decent event since halloween is all about giving treats away and a little bit of spookiness involved. I'm willing to bet a good amount of players were getting hyped or were at least excited to see that another event will be up. But when the event was live it was already disappointing 10 minutes into it seeing as how you have to get something first in order to get something else in return.
    I know you don't need to participate in these events but seriously... Cryptic... I know you can do better than this.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've just been getting the dye kits, since they're something decent and don't require a huge time investment to obtain. Frankly, I think it would have been cool if you could either trick or treat w/ the various merchants and contacts in PE, or maybe even from the various Neverember guards that are stationed and patrol around there. While the illusionists are neat, the system they went with makes thigns very tedious...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . Another thing that has just come to me in discussions with others is that just by doing the quests you get only 25 Tokens total per day, so there would need to be 24 days to get 600 tokens.
    25 perday? I only see 15 per day with the daily quests. 3 quests each with 5 tokens.

5 for talking to the Loremaster.
    5 for trading with Illusionists.
    5 for leaving PE and acquiring a charm from mobs or skill kits.

Is there another (or two) than I'm not seeing?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Kind of mixed about this event. Everything looks great. And the theme is awesome. But the grinding... not so much. Grinding the charms, to trade for the tokens, to buy a prize is a pain in the rear. Tack on to that the fact that the rewards cost tons of tokens. There has to be a better way to do this. Hoping they improve on it for next year.

I wanted the skeleton. Got to 200 tokens before I gave up. Just bought the skeleton off the AH instead. And used my tokens on a mask. I play a lot of grindy games, so I can't help but think if -I- got sick of the grind, its pretty bad. Maybe its just too soon after the purse grind for me.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    25 perday? I only see 15 per day with the daily quests. 3 quests each with 5 tokens.

5 for talking to the Loremaster.
    5 for trading with Illusionists.
    5 for leaving PE and acquiring a charm from mobs or skill kits.

Is there another (or two) than I'm not seeing?

When you first talk to the quest giver, he gives you ten liars marks to trade. You only need to trade five for the quest, but counting all of them, that's ten tokens plus the 15 you get as quest rewards, plus whatever you get outside of PE.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The thing with the Temporary Masks is; unless you play in Fashion Costume all the time, you could buy the Temp ones go AH for 45AD (they drop like Hot Cakes from Pumpkins) and if you have the Space in Bank, You could really never not have a Pumpkin Mask - and in Different colors as well (Dye's).

(PS. Have a Squizz at my Halloween Foundry - Liars Charm Undead Gold Farm - is a Grind Map - with some new Costumes and Effects)

Cheers,
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)