test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We clairification ON whats an exploit and whats not.

lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am confused about some exploits that have come up in the last weeks.

I for one would like to know what an exploit is in the first place.

Was the one on launch day nightmare box opening an exploit? I was on then and it never stopped poping up saying someone got a nightmare and sometimes same person 5-10 times in a row. Cause the dev team knew about this bug or issue before launch time. Then a bunch of people bought a bunch of keys from the ZEN store so they could take advantage of this bug or issue, for the most part everyone on the forum calls it an exploit. None of those people got banned or thier stuff taken away. And the dev's called them lucky.

Now the latest exploit <removed details>. Nobody said hey dont do this its not supposed to <removed details> you will get banned and your stuff taken away. And this exploit wouldnt really even messup to AH at all either. The nightmare one ya sure messed up the prices of the NIghtmares abit.

I would like to know also, why one exploit is lucky and the other one isnt lucky.

For the most part most people know why the nightmare Exploiters never got anything done to them is because that exploit made you money. Strange how fast that exploit was fixed also.

PS: Another question who gets perm bans and who gets temp bans. Does that depend on if they have zen coins in thier accounts or spend money on the game.
Post edited by lostmarbleshere on

Comments

• Options
    sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    <removed details>

There's probably a million people playing this game who'd like answers to those questions, but I'll bet you a dozen Nightmare mounts no answers are forthcoming. My advice is to enjoy the game while there's still fun to be had. The people making the decisions at Perfect World Entertainment on how these incidents are handled clearly aren't thinking long term, which means there probably isn't going to be a long term. So, we may as well enjoy what time we have in Neverwinter in the short term. :)
  • Options
    wjwellerwjweller Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2013
    <removed details>

The nightmare lockbox bug wasn't an exploit. An exploit means that a loophole has to be known or published in order for it to be exploited by end-users. Otherwise it's just happy accident or discovery.

MANY will argue that the loophole was known on test servers based on ONE very vague post (which had only a few pictures) on test server. Yet this post did not provide any description, and though the pictures themselves could denote numerous other anomalies e.g. Screen or chat window output may have spammed, "nightmare, nightmare, nightmare, nightmare" that doesn't mean that user got 4 nightmares. It could just mean that the alert text alerted (or spammed) 3 times too many. To put it more simply, it could have been purely superficial - text spamming.

So we (as end users) have no proof that the nightmare bug was actually a real exploit. I personally welcome any proof otherwise.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Exploit - player benefits, pwe does not benefit - This will get you banned.

Lucky - Player benefits, pwe benefits - this will get you a pat on the back.

Working as intended - Player loses, pwe benefits - this will make you get you a title.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    From the post that everyone says was proof this was a known issue, I actually did think it was a problem involving excessive admin announcement spam. I don't know if that person who put those images up actually submitted a report about it, but I would never assume that making threads here is the best way to alert the actual developers to an issue. It is, however, a very good way to clue in other players. Which is mighty helpful when trying to help others avoid getting bitten by a bad bug.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have taken a totally different stance than when the game first came out. At first, I was against any and all forms of exploiting. As time has gone on though and the programmers/powers that be see bugs and don't fix them, I figure that is them saying it is ok. The "exploits" in dungeons that allow someone to climb up on to something to get out of the bosses reach is truly, imo, an exploit. As is glitching bosses (making them get stuck so they can't attack, moving their location so their adds can't follow etc). That being said, the exploit could EASILY be fixed by making invisible walls that made climbing not an option. The programmers seem to care more about releasing zen store items though than taking a small portion of time to patch these exploit areas. To me, that says, CONGRATS, you have found an easy way to beat the boss. We don't care, otherwise we would have fixed this months ago. Here is your cookie..

One can't (or at least I can no longer) really hold it against players for seeing certain advantages and utilizing them. I mean look at a fight in the real world. If someone has the ability to use the terrain in their favor, it isn't exploiting, rather a good combat tactic.

Again, if they don't want people to "exploit" maybe they should take some time to fix their buggy game.. Right? Like you pointed out very well, the nightmare lock box disaster was addressed quite quickly (after the initial bug report about a week earlier on the test server) despite the fact it should have NEVER gone live. Point is, if it is a problem in their eyes, they have the capability to fix it. It just boils down to what they are really concerned about.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    wjweller wrote: »
    <removed details>

Yes, many will argue it was an exploit and every single one of those many are correct ...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes, many will argue it was an exploit and every single one of those many are correct ...

Based on what criteria?
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There's probably a million people playing this game who'd like answers to those questiosn, but I'll bet you a dozen Nightmare mounts no answers are forthcoming.

They wish they had a million people playing the game (probably as much as I wish I could have been on to get a bunch of nightmare mounts when the boxes were worth while). I know many people w/ numerous accounts (20+) just to pray.. Under 1000 people in all the protector enclave instances the last 2 nights during what I would consider prime time.. The user base seems to be decreasing..
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Based on what criteria?

The well-known criteria that all of us refer to as "reality".
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Anything that you feel you should'nt be doing you probably should not do it, the lockbox was an exploit, but was so minor in time, in effect on the economy and the playability and people used real money to buy keys or traded AD for zen, so they didnt get nightmares for free, just cheaper, that after the hotfix was enough solution, the "lucky" sentence was a bad intent of taking the blow on humor instead of saying, mea culpa, that was careless, and the consecuences were worse than the problem itself (in the forums, in the real world/real game no one freaking cares).

So if you are doing something you know you are not intended to do, and REALLY IMPORTANT you are getting any kind of advantage over other players that way (rock climbing, urban parkour for example, is not intended but is not exploiting) that is an exploit, and if you exploit in any way, you must be prepared if disciplinary actions are taking on you.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    Anything that you feel you should'nt be doing you probably should not do it, the lockbox was an exploit, but was so minor in time, in effect on the economy and the playability and people used real money to buy keys or traded AD for zen, so they didnt get nightmares for free, just cheaper, that after the hotfix was enough solution, the "lucky" sentence was a bad intent of taking the blow on humor instead of saying, mea culpa, that was careless, and the consecuences were worse than the problem itself (in the forums, in the real world/real game no one freaking cares).

So if you are doing something you know you are not intended to do, and REALLY IMPORTANT you are getting any kind of advantage over other players that way (rock climbing, urban parkour for example, is not intended but is not exploiting) that is an exploit, and if you exploit in any way, you must be prepared if disciplinary actions are taking on you.

It wasn't an exploit. It was a bug.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

A bug which a number of people "exploited" to their advantage. In gaming lexicon, that's what an exploit is by the way ...
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Since when was purchasing a key and opening a lockbox considered a exploit?
  • Options
    haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It was obviously "too good to be true." There's always going to be differences of opinion on borderline issues, but this one seemed obvious to me -- if it wasn't to other people, I can only find fault in their judgments. I think the Devs made a mistake not doing a 38-minute roll-back, but that's their call to make. The fact that they chose not to roll-back or otherwise publicly take steps doesn't mean it wasn't an exploit.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

Sounds like an exploit to me. Unless you think the devs meant to do it to raise some extra cash.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    A bug which a number of people "exploited" to their advantage. In gaming lexicon, that's what an exploit is by the way ...

Did Cryptic, at anytime before the patch (like when it was reported) or during the time when the odds were increased, say that it was NOT working as intended?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    raath13 wrote: »

Since the chances of getting a mount increased by about 100 times the normal yield for roughly 40 minutes last Thursday morning when the patch went live. People now refer to it as Nightmare Thursday.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I agree with reality, no matter how relative. However the reality you refer to is not actually legitimized. Please prove me wrong. Don't show me pictures that could pertain to a multitude of different interpretations. Those pictures wouldn't even hold up in a court of law let alone a theoretical discussion.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

Sounds like an exploit to me. Unless you think the devs meant to do it to raise some extra cash.

How would a player use something that is unknown to their advantage? You can't exploit something - that is, take advantage of it- if it's not known.
  • Options
    haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sorry, but this is hardly a justification. It was an exploit the moment the huge pile of admin messages came across showing so many winners, many from the same persons in rapid succession. Obviously there was a bug, and anyone who did it over and over at that point knew it.
  • Options
    veramis1veramis1 Banned Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    It's easier to identify people with x number of sparks in their inventory than to find people exploiting dungeons, so they are going for easy fish.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Did Cryptic, at anytime before the patch (like when it was reported) or during the time when the odds were increased, say that it was NOT working as intended?

Unfortunately, no they didn't, but I imagine that the constant message spamming of Nightmare Mount acquisitions may have tipped them and everyone else off as to what was going on.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    haelra wrote: »
    Sorry, but this is hardly a justification. It was an exploit the moment the huge pile of admin messages came across showing so many winners, many from the same persons in rapid succession. Obviously there was a bug, and anyone who did it over and over at that point knew it.

People could have suspected it was a bug, or people could have thought it was WAI, since Cryptic choose to ignore the original report.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    How would a player use something that is unknown to their advantage? You can't exploit something - that is, take advantage of it- if it's not known.

So the guys who bought 10 keys and got 5 mounts or whatever did not know something was wrong. They just figured they were lucky and I am sure all of them immediatly booked a ticket to monte carlo. That is after they alerted all thier pals to the great luck they were having, and then pwe started seeing a run on zen purchases.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    All those people were on standby with bunches of keys and lockboxes waiting for the servers to come up. They were going to just randomly open bunches of them when the server opened!
  • Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah... a bunch of people sharing a quest with a multi-day cooldown and they figured it'd be alright to circumvent the timer. The whole "this quest has a cooldown timer" should have been enough of a clue for people to figure out that what they were doing wasn't what the developers had intended. I have no sympathy for anyone who was caught and banned.

People should be less preoccupied with whether or not they *could* do something and more concerned with whether they *should*.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    People could have suspected it was a bug, or people could have thought it was WAI, since Cryptic choose to ignore the original report.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, and taking some of these posts into consideration, there may be a few people stupid enough to think it was WAI.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    haelra wrote: »
    I think the Devs made a mistake not doing a 38-minute roll-back, but that's their call to make. The fact that they chose not to roll-back or otherwise publicly take steps doesn't mean it wasn't an exploit.

One major issue that would have come from opting to perform a rollback is all the players who had a few lockboxes left and keys to open them, logged in as soon as the servers came back up from patching, and opened those boxes, and unexpectedly received a mount or two. I know of a few of them who gave away any extras to friends and guildmates.

Players like that did not exploit. They were, in fact, lucky. Should they have their stuff taken away because there were other players who took advantage?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So the guys who bought 10 keys and got 5 mounts or whatever did not know something was wrong. They just figured they were lucky and I am sure all of them immediatly booked a ticket to monte carlo. That is after they alerted all thier pals to the great luck they were having, and then pwe started seeing a run on zen purchases.

The first week I started playing this game I bought 3 keys and used them in rapid succession. If I had waited until after the patch to use my keys, I may have been lucky but I didn't and I wasn't lucky. You have to consider the thousands upon thousands of people that play this game. There is a very good chance that they were indeed lucky. If I had waited I may have been lucky as well. That wouldn't have made me an exploiter.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I guess in the grand scheme of things, and taking some of these posts into consideration, there may be a few people stupid enough to think it was WAI.

I mean everyone knew the lockboxes were getting changed and not dropping anymore. Who's to say (at the time) that Cryptic had just decided to increase the chance of getting a horse as part of the change?

Fact of the matter is: someone was in there messing with the drop rate ratios, for whatever reason.
This discussion has been closed.