test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We clairification ON whats an exploit and whats not.

Comments

• s3ven0fmines3ven0fmine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nevar buy keys again!
  • timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    To OP and concerned players:

After seeing gamers that are against on how the exploits are handled, I have only one time to say. Just let it go. This game is obviously made for casual gamers who will not be emotionally attached to the game, hoping they will spend 4 digits of money on Zen, have their fun in a month, then leave. As well as rabid supporters who just cannot let go.

OP and gamers who really want a game that they can call permanent, look elsewhere. This game only has the D&D name and nothing else.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Its so wonderful the dev team doesnt answer questions. Ya sure they listen to the pocket book but thats it. Or maybe they will answer this. After a few months of thinking of some grease legal way to get out of really answering anything.

Just like the 2 million players. Ya 2 million registered maybe 200k if that playing. And 20k are gold farmers and gold sellers.

plus i am totally surprised this thread is still going. The moderators must of seen it by now.
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    timmbeer wrote: »
    To OP and concerned players:

After seeing gamers that are against on how the exploits are handled, I have only one time to say. Just let it go. This game is obviously made for casual gamers who will not be emotionally attached to the game, hoping they will spend 4 digits of money on Zen, have their fun in a month, then leave. As well as rabid supporters who just cannot let go.

OP and gamers who really want a game that they can call permanent, look elsewhere. This game only has the D&D name and nothing else.

See, that's where it's conflicted for me, because I am a rabid supporter of the games that these people make. To me, though, that does not mean I'm going to like or agree with every decision they make. I want this game to be good at least as much as the devs do, and that's why I say what I say and give the opinions I do. Support does not always mean being a mindless zombie.

I fully believe that this game can be incredibly good, and the seeds of that are in here. It's still got a long way to go, though, and I've seen Cryptic struggling against a lot of things to do what they have so far. some of those struggles are not even their fault, imo, but their owner's, though even that is better than it used to be. If you think PWE is bad, trust me, Atari/Infogrames was waaaaayyyy worse, which is probably why they went bankrupt.

Unfortunately, I don't run the company, and I'm not sure I could if I had the chance, but I can still try to influence from the outside, just like any of us here. Personally, I don't mind a struggle to make things better, even if the odds are against me. Probably why I enjoy playing heroic characters, too.

and I'ma shut up now before I start talking about some unrelated stuff like getting people to help the ASPCA or something.
  • whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    An exploit is ANYTHING the game designer says.

I am no joking. If the developers say riding a mount in a zone is an exploit, then it is an exploit. The TOS is done in such a way that what ever they says goes and you can say or do anything about it. If you don't like it, go away. You are not being forced to play. Summoned up, but that is also in the TOS. Harsh, no? If you don't believe me take a copy of the TOS to a notary or a law firm that specializes in contracts.
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello All,

Well I see this thread is still here and not locked up, very nice to see, and although I didn't read through all the recent posts I would have to say there seems to be a divide on the topic of the lockbox issue and sharing quest issue(s) and even though they mirror one another I don't think they can be compared together.

The lock box issue was a reported problem well before the new content went live so there was a majority of players who knew from the time they logged in what they were doing and why, they blatantly took advantage of a reported situation that Obviously someone on the tech side dropped the ball on, for whatever reason ( Maybe that persons Wife or Husband had an accident, who knows but the lockbox issue made it into live ), but certain individuals were ready, and took advantage.

Yes...maybe other people came on and bought a few keys and honestly weren't aware of it, not sure how ( Due to all the spam, of people winning mounts ) but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If you are one of the innocents and ended up getting banned or stuff taken away then that would still be up to you to take it up with C.S. to get it rectified.

For me and I speak only for myself here, I could case less if they let every person who took shameless advantage of the lockboxes keep whatever they got, I would have just liked to have read something from a Dev that the issue will be looked into very closely and even though people may think that they got away with something that after careful investigation, repercussions will follow and the people involved will be dealt with in an appropriate manner. These kinds of behaviors will not be tolerated.

When I started playing at O.B. I got lots of boxes via normal game play but I haven't got one Key sense I played nor opened a box of any kind, However...if I had 10 keys when I started at open beta and used them, whatever I got at that time was received under normal drop odds ( IMHO ). Now I can't in all fairness start crying foul because of this new issue, because if the drop rate from the boxes was always there before the new content I and others would have seen this issue weeks and weeks ago, so even if I did buy keys I still wouldn't have the right to complain about something that happened after this live launch of new content.

In Closing I would just like to say, That the majority of the people that are reading these posts have been playing for awhile, some in closed beta I'm sure, most others have got high enough leveled Characters that they have a sense by now how quests are supposed to work/act what has timers what doesn't, even those of you who say your new to NWO, I'm sure you played other games so even from those you have a good indication/comparison of what is normal as opposed to exploitative.

Or at least I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, otherwise we'll all just have to boil it down to.........

" The Monkey See, Monkey Do " Syndrom

Cheers!

P.S.

Hope a Dev or Cryptic rep sees these posts and gives us..... A Little honest feedback soon. I feel that just the title of this thread alone says volumes of how much some people care and want to see this game succeed, It's no different in them asking players to give them feedback and help them make the game better, well Devs/Reps we the NWO community are now asking you to give us a little feedback of where you stand... and to make NWO better.

Take care All, thanks for taking the time to read this thread, and thanks to the Moderators for having enough faith in us to not lock it up after several minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    IMO, the problem is that Cryptic is too, well... cryptic with what they intend and how things actually work.

And lets be honest here, if using a bugged skill or power is considered exploiting, EVERY player is an exploiter because there are simply no classes without a number of serious bugs.

Punting off cliffs was considered an exploit by some players, but Cryptic stated someplace that it was 'working as intended'. So what's the real difference between using the terrain to throw stuff off and using the terrain to not get hit? It's just vague and open to interpretation.

It doesn't help that Cryptic is congratulating people who use a bug, and then ban people who use a different bug. They are responsible for not only making things work as intended, but to communicate what that working as intended is supposed to be.

"Obviously too good to be true" is BS, it's arbitrary, random and nothing more but a gray area to voice your opinion in, claiming to be right because this time the devs felt the same way.

And, again imo, that's what the rage is about, Cryptic is showing itself as a very unreliable gaming partner, more interested in fluff than content.

Bottomline is: I don't want no frigging leprechauns, I want a bug-free game.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem is that if the devs come out and say, "X behavior is an exploit", then people will skirt that line and get just within a micro level of it, citing what was released as proof that they weren't exploiting.

In general terms, though, if a player is able to utilize an aspect of the game in a way other than what was intended, and they knowingly continue to use said mechanic, then they are exploiting. Things get complicated, however, because you need a certain level of common sense when making the determination, and many people lack that.

For instance, take the campfire mechanic. The way it works is that if you get within X distance of a campfire, then it becomes your respawn point. Here's the problem - what if you can get within that absolute distance without having to actually traverse the distance to said campfire? Common sense would say that it's just a bad map layout, and you're intended to have to navigate the dungeon the long way to get to that campfire.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Who knows what is the next big "bug" gonna happen, and whether that bug will be considered an exploit or not, due to the whimsy nature of Cryptic's own code of conduct.

Rule of thumb has become that if it makes money for them, it's not a bug, if it doesn't make them money it is. And that's a very bad rule.
  • koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    yerune wrote: »
    Rule of thumb has become that if it makes money for them, it's not a bug, if it doesn't make them money it is. And that's a very bad rule.

I was gonna say this. +1
  • nightfer01nightfer01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Had the Nightmare bug been addressed properly, whether by rollback, banning or whatever, players will be more receptive about the banning of the sharing quest. But with the double standard Cryptic is throwing around, only naive players will still continue to play this game.
    This reminds me of the old sharing quest bug for assets when tons of people benefited from it and got hundreds of blue/purple crafting assets. Everyone got away with it since the sharing bug was around for over a few weeks. The Nightmare bug was a bug but it was a known bug from the test shard. The rain of nightmare horses began with the servers came up, that means some people knew about it and benefitted from it ALOT. If I wasnt an honest gamer, I wouldve go to the test shard, do all contend to find all the bugs and after they get live, benefit from them without reporting it.
  • uniguilduniguild Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2013
    It's rather funny to see people trying to reason their case. Of course the Nightmare boxes were exploited. There is nearly no way in the world an individual is so <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that he or she actually thought the devs upped the drop rate about 2000% without any mention in the patch notes. And in regard of the sharing exploit: You can always argue that sharing wasn't bugged but the timer instead.

So spin it like you want, there is no difference between the two and the actions against offenders should have been the same (one way or another).

In the greater picture though, it's hard to even discuss this matter with knowing that people claim to have made hundreds of millions of ADs with various exploits throughout (and I believe some of them and their rank 10s gear) and very few of them have been banned, if anybody at all. What happened the last couple days is peanuts.
  • koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    uniguild wrote: »
    What happened the last couple days is peanuts.

Say that to someone who's girlfriend just died from peanut allergies. Peanuts kill.
    edited August 2013
    Say that to someone who's girlfriend just died from peanut allergies. Peanuts kill.

Touche ;)

I agree with the thread starter btw. There has to be some sort of clarification about what's allowed and what's not. Otherwise it's just frustrating to see what people are able to come away with while others are banned for **** (comparably).
    edited August 2013
    Non-Zenners got permbans for this? H I L A R I O U S.
  • exploitforliveexploitforlive Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Exploiting is allowed if it makes Cryptic money
    Exploiting is forbidden when it hurts theire zenstore.

mods enforcing TOC on the forum while the company has no credibillity anymore is a joke.

Moral of the story:
    Be a criminal, and if u get caught, make a moneydeal with the cops. Win win for both.
  • timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Non-Zenners got permbans for this? H I L A R I O U S.

I really doubt there are permabans, else the forum would have exploded by now. Probably just a longer suspension.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • veramis1veramis1 Banned Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    timmbeer, there were permabans. I would also add that I honestly thought it was a daily quest and that the abjuring charms was the real limiting factor on feywild progression :P. If I had known I was getting several weeks of sparks instead of days I wouldn't have done it :(.
  • dante124pldante124pl Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the ban for feywild exploit is just for 1 week, gotta play Tera abit then
  • veramis1veramis1 Banned Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    dante124pl wrote: »
    the ban for feywild exploit is just for 1 week, gotta play Tera abit then

Several of my friends were permabanned.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Come one...people KNEW they were getting around the 7-day cooldown of the quest by sharing it.

That's why people exploited it. They intentionally circumvented the cool down using a bug to do the quest more times than intended in a very short period of time.

Taking advantage of a bug to benefit is the definition of exploiting.

And in regards to the Nightmare mount thing...people who opened up a few boxes and got a Nightmare mount, may not have realized the drop rate was changed. They may have just thought, "Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, my lucky day".

People who realized the drop rate was off, then opened up 1000 boxes to take advantage of it did EXPLOIT and should have been punished.

So it's the inconsistency that's the problem here.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited August 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Come one...people KNEW they were getting around the 7-day cooldown of the quest by sharing it.

That's why people exploited it. They intentionally circumvented the cool down using a bug to do the quest more times than intended in a very short period of time.

Taking advantage of a bug to benefit is the definition of exploiting.

And in regards to the Nightmare mount thing...people who opened up a few boxes and got a Nightmare mount, may not have realized the drop rate was changed. They may have just thought, "Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, my lucky day".

People who realized the drop rate was off, then opened up 1000 boxes to take advantage of it did EXPLOIT and should have been punished.

So it's the inconsistency that's the problem here.

it was a "lucky" moment for them idd hahaha
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello Again All,

Just like to give a final comment based on the last post, I don't think you, I, nor anyone else should need to ask for clarification it really should be a no brainer.

One last example, and I'm sure that the majority of people here have had this happen to them. Your in a quest and due to the design of the area, you just happen to be fighting in a spot that all of a sudden there is no sound ( But if you move a few steps it comes back )

Now everyone should know that this audio bug is just that, a bug. I know it irritates me at times ( hopefully it has been reported, or maybe you would have been the first one to do so ) Now in all the fights we have been in or took part in we know from common sense that this isn't normal for the Audio. However if said bug was found out that if you fought at these particular areas that you couldn't be damaged but the boss or mobs could be then we would be now exploiting that bug.

I don't need a Dev to come on and give me clarification for that, if there are people out there that say otherwise your not asking for clarification, your asking " The Powers That Be " to give you permission/excuse to exploit something so one doesn't have to feel guilty about doing it.

There is a help/bug reporting console in game so " We " as responsible gamers need not to be afraid to use it that what it is there for.

Maybe after some of the tension subsides, someone from Cryptic will come on and explain a few things, and give us their stance on things. And maybe they will create a revised sticky of the known issues/bugs ones that were looked into but still ongoing, others that were reported but haven't gotten to yet, etc.

If I can look at said, sticky and read that say...If you stand at the bank teller in map 4 of Protectors Enclave I could teleport to any quest I wanted to I would know, that the Devs are aware of this and either have fixed it or it on going, so it all comes down to integrity of the player. You'll either be the type to take advantage of it all the time until it's fixed, or your the type to be honest with yourself and know that this isn't the normal way something is supposed to work and travel to the quest the way the game designers intended you to get there until it is fixed

Let's face it people this debate could go on as long as there are hours in a day and sill have people come on here and spin it anyway they want to fit a certain scenario. What we need to do right now is have some feed back from a rep ( Not permission to exploit ) but just some info that we can look at of what is known about, fixed and on going. I wonder how many of the bug reports are
    " Quadruplicated "

Let's not give the recent events a " A free pass " but lets be grown up about it and provide in game feedback/bug reporting on a regular basis that's what the in game help report function is there for. It would be nice to have a revised report though so I can compare it with something I find, so as to not flood the Devs with multi reports of the same bug/issue.

Cheers! And Thanks again for taking the time to read this, and although I will keep an eye on this thread I for one am done with replying to this thread. There are only so many apples you can prune from a tree.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • womendriverslolwomendriverslol Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I really doubt there are permabans, else the forum would have exploded by now. Probably just a longer suspension.

Half my guild is banned for this. Permanently. I'm not banned, but I'm not playing any longer since my community is destroyed, which is what made this game fun for me. PWE fails to understand that they need the non payers, because without a sufficient player base, paying players won't want to play because the "MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER" aspect is gone...
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I would think the difference of these two actions (lockbox and quest sharing) is pretty clear.

Imagine if you were in wal-mart. You notice that someone miss marked some goods, so you take them up to the front to buy them for 50 cents when they're supposed to be 5 dollars, by law they have to sell them to you for 50 cents because of one persons screw up, but you better believe they're going to fix that screw up fast.

Now what if you had a friend that worked for walmart and he could "accidentally" turn off the alarms that catch you walking out with stolen items. So he flips them off at the right time and you walk out with your goods and the alarms don't go off.

Who is at fault in the first example? Who is at fault in the 2nd? If they were to review security tape and find out what happened in the 2nd example do you think your argument that the alarms being faulty would save you from prosecution? In the first example you better believe if you had a friend in wal-mart you would tell them that a 5 dollar item is 50 cents, is that wrong?

People see other people get what they perceive to be an advantage and the circumstances don't matter anymore, they're just automatically bad. Then other people that get punished and compare their wrong doing with something completely different and wonder why they got punished...
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
    edited August 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    I would think the difference of these two actions (lockbox and quest sharing) is pretty clear.

Imagine if you were in wal-mart. You notice that someone miss marked some goods, so you take them up to the front to buy them for 50 cents when they're supposed to be 5 dollars, by law they have to sell them to you for 50 cents because of one persons screw up, but you better believe they're going to fix that screw up fast.

Now what if you had a friend that worked for walmart and he could "accidentally" turn off the alarms that catch you walking out with stolen items. So he flips them off at the right time and you walk out with your goods and the alarms don't go off.

Who is at fault in the first example? Who is at fault in the 2nd? If they were to review security tape and find out what happened in the 2nd example do you think your argument that the alarms being faulty would save you from prosecution? In the first example you better believe if you had a friend in wal-mart you would tell them that a 5 dollar item is 50 cents, is that wrong?

People see other people get what they perceive to be an advantage and the circumstances don't matter anymore, they're just automatically bad. Then other people that get punished and compare their wrong doing with something completely different and wonder why they got punished...

Tis just lol.

And factually wrong.

And lol again.
  • geje120geje120 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hi, I just got perma ban without clarification It was my first suspension and tbh i made that quest like 4 times because I got mostly my sparks from feywild boxes I write about that to support but they respond with some bull**** about giving my ticket more priority at last 1 funny thing, me and most of my perma banned friends are from EU and I heard that everyone from America got like week or 3 days or dont even get ban at all can someone explain it to me?
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Tis just lol.

And factually wrong.

And lol again.

Explain? Cryptic accidently marked up the drop rate, when people realized it they jumped on board and then cryptic quickly fixed it. A quest that was known to have a built in week long cooldown was circumvented by "turning off" the cooldown. Obviously my examples are simple, but some on these forums need simple
    edited August 2013
    So, what did we learn from all of this?

Never ever support them. Case closed. Theire are tons of games out theire to enjoy. Neverwinter may have been fun, but its beeing run by incompitent people who **** you in the *** while taking your money and laugh in your face. They gained support and income on the short run, but they will lose it all on the long run. All we can do, is laugh at theire downfall and regret for the time wasted on the game. Don't get it wrong, i freaking love neverwinter, but not the exploiting bull**** they run. Dev team sleeps on the job, forum mods abuse powers and they all sweep it under the rug. This is Cryptic & PWE. This is the company people support by buying.
    Let it rot, let it die out. It had such potential, players will love to see it reborn from another company. And it will be reborn. Tons of examples out theire, take APB for example. That game sucked bigtime, they didnt listen to theire players and they went bankrupt. Another company remade it by listening to the players and lots of players came back to APB Reloaded, the newborn version.
    This is wat neverwinter needs. To die & then be outsourced to a better company that listens to its playersbase, the ones that provide food on dev's table.
    Then we finally can enjoy the game, and the true D&D experience can begin.
    edited August 2013
    So, what did we learn from all of this?

Never ever support them. Case closed. Theire are tons of games out theire to enjoy. Neverwinter may have been fun, but its beeing run by incompitent people who **** you in the *** while taking your money and laugh in your face. They gained support and income on the short run, but they will lose it all on the long run. All we can do, is laugh at theire downfall and regret for the time wasted on the game. Don't get it wrong, i freaking love neverwinter, but not the exploiting bull**** they run. Dev team sleeps on the job, forum mods abuse powers and they all sweep it under the rug. This is Cryptic & PWE. This is the company people support by buying.
    Let it rot, let it die out. It had such potential, players will love to see it reborn from another company. And it will be reborn. Tons of examples out theire, take APB for example. That game sucked bigtime, they didnt listen to theire players and they went bankrupt. Another company remade it by listening to the players and lots of players came back to APB Reloaded, the newborn version.
    This is wat neverwinter needs. To die & then be outsourced to a better company that listens to its playersbase, the ones that provide food on dev's table.
    Then we finally can enjoy the game, and the true D&D experience can begin.

sounds like someone received a perma ban eh?
This discussion has been closed.