test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We clairification ON whats an exploit and whats not.

Comments

• koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    wjweller wrote: »
    Right, but that's an assumption and still doesn't prove it was an exploit.

Come on. Anyone can go out there and find it... on Reddit, Facebook, even IRC! Show proof that this bug was published and anticipated!
    Well, we did in another thread on this subject, but you white knighted there too until you came around to finally admitting that possibly, maybe, somehow, it was an exploit. But I see you're back to your white knight position.
  • wjwellerwjweller Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2013
    many of us reported nightmare bug on mimic so they did know

as for what exploit is and what its not it was exploit to many people the nightmare was but some people opened it not knowing about issue and did not intend to exploit but that being said pwe should ban people who did it multiple times.

sparks was exploit every one new it was and if u say you did not know your not conning any one it was bug and every one who did it knowingly exploited the game.

when your not sure some thing is exploit just don't do it play fair play right and earn your way to the top

I agree, and I think that's the stance Cryptic is taking, professionally. They're not going to come down on people who probably got the nightmare innocently. They can prove it by looking at the logs, otherwise we have no idea. It's up to Cryptic.
    edited August 2013
    Well, we did in another thread on this subject, but you white knighted there too until you came around to finally admitting that possibly, maybe, somehow, it was an exploit. But I see you're back to your white knight position.

No I didn't, stop being emotional and present the facts please. Don't post crappy photos that mean nothing.
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I was logged in when it happened. I didn't see any one name being targeted. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that anyone was exploiting the bug. Of course Cryptic has the final word on that as they can see more than any of us here.

YOu werent reading them then. I seen many people getting 2-3 in arow then someone else then the previous person again then another sometimes 5 times in a row same person.
    edited August 2013
    YOu werent reading them then. I seen many people getting 2-3 in arow then someone else then the previous person again then another sometimes 5 times in a row same person.

You could have been on a different server. Those people might have had a lot of keys?? Still not their fault. Keep in mind it was the last day to get those lockboxes.
  • raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    <removed details>

It's not even close to the same thing.
  • sunsfire2004sunsfire2004 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    You could have been on a different server. Those people might have had a lot of keys?? Still not their fault. Keep in mind it was the last day to get those lockboxes.

sorry people can still open nightmare boxes I have nightmare box's saved just for that and there still buyable in ah
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Well i am amazed the thread is still open. Still no answers from the devs. I hope we get an answer.
  • s3ven0fmines3ven0fmine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nightmare Thursday was a straight up cash grab, nothing more to it.
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Lol! This is worse than discussing politics or religion. People are so entrenched in their positions there's no changing minds on this one I think.

Hopefully, everyone can at least agree that the official response by PWE to Nightmare Thursday showed appalling poor judgement. Whether or not you agree it's an exploit, surely any person with a modicum of intellect can imagine how pissed off people were who'd spent a lot of money on keys but didn't get a mount only to see others come away with several mounts and get congratulated for taking advantage of an obvious flaw. Surely the official response could have been a tad more sensitive to the people who'd invested considerable funds to support Neverwinter, especially those who resisted exploiting the situation because they didn't want to break the rules.
    edited August 2013
    sorry people can still open nightmare boxes I have nightmare box's saved just for that and there still buyable in ah

I'm a sinner.
  • sunsfire2004sunsfire2004 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'm a sinner.

hell we are all sinner's but did not mean any disrespect just saying you can still open I have 4997 of them saved and a lot us have a lot them saved for when there worth more or we want to open them
  • moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    To be fair to some people regarding the quest issue...

<removed details>

Its unfortunate if you can be like me and be clueless to this whole thing then be <removed details>. How was I to know it was an exploit if I didn't even know about it? Should I be banned for that?
    edited August 2013
    Lol! This is worse than discussing politics or religion. People are so entrenched in their positions there's no changing minds on this one I think.

Hopefully, everyone can at least agree that the official response by PWE to Nightmare Thursday showed appalling poor judgement. Whether or not you agree it's an exploit, surely any person with a modicum of intellect can imagine how pissed off people were who'd spent a lot of money on keys but didn't get a mount only to see others come away with several mounts and get congratulated for taking advantage of an obvious flaw. Surely the official response could have been a tad more sensitive to the people who'd invested considerable funds to support Neverwinter, especially those who resisted exploiting the situation because they didn't want to break the rules.

I don't agree. I think they have an empirical view on the matter that we do not, and I think they handled it professionally.
  • xmachinaxmachina Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2013
    many of us reported nightmare bug on mimic so they did know

as for what exploit is and what its not it was exploit to many people the nightmare was but some people opened it not knowing about issue and did not intend to exploit but that being said pwe should ban people who did it multiple times.

sparks was exploit every one new it was and if u say you did not know your not conning any one it was bug and every one who did it knowingly exploited the game.

when your not sure some thing is exploit just don't do it play fair play right and earn your way to the top

I didn't know about the spark exploit and nearly participated in this exploit unknowingly since I saw other people doing that, but due to time I did not do it. I guess I'm lucky then.

As for the nightmare box exploit, people knew about it, anticipated it, and even referenced it sublimely in zone chat on beholder before the patch: something to the effect: only if you guys knew what happened to nightmare lockboxes after the patch hehe.

However, ultimately the decisions regarding what happens after someone has exploited/found a loophole in the game whether skin change ;) etc is up to Cryptic, either way it's their lost.

Read the end user agreement! I know I didn't :). <-Honesty.
    edited August 2013
    hell we are all sinner's but did not mean any disrespect just saying you can still open I have 4997 of them saved and a lot us have a lot them saved for when there worth more or we want to open them

No man I'm being sarcastic. No worries.
  • raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013

This.

Cryptic screwed up to begin with. Cryptic screwed up with their response. All anger should be directed at Cryptic, not other players.
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    People could have suspected it was a bug, or people could have thought it was WAI, since Cryptic choose to ignore the original report.

I think the biggest problem with this situation, and others like it, is that cryptic has been so slack on previouse exploits that people didnt think it was an issue. I dont blame cryptic for banning these ppl, especially since most ppl i know of just got a week suspension which i think was a better decision then perma bans. The problem is when you just let ppl get away with all kinds of questionable practices it says to everyone else, cryptic doesnt care if i do this and if i dnt do this i will be at a disadvantage. This is why ive been frustrated with bugs not getting fixdd and no action being taken against ppl using them.

In short cryptic cant be selective on how they deal with different exploits because it sends the wrong message to players, and ends up getting ppl punished that normally wouldnt act in an exploitive manner. I really hope they understand this point and can do better to take appropriate action in the future.

I personally hate exploiting in especially dungeons, but when its so common as to be expected of you, its hard to play the game and not exploit. Really hope they get better about this going forward, as it takes so much of the fun out of the game for me.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
    edited August 2013
    moonchipz wrote: »
    <removed details>

a lot people where spamming it was exploit also exploit is still exploit if u know it or not.
    example if you did not know it was agents rules to use 3rd party hacks on the game and you used them you should also still get a ban
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The evidence in game suggests it was a text error and people weren't actually getting a mount from every other box. There are no more mounts on AH than there were prior to the patch; the price of mounts has not fluctuated in the way it would if there had been an anomaly of the scale some imagine there was.
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    The evidence in game suggests it was a text error and people weren't actually getting a mount from every other box. There are no more mounts on AH than there were prior to the patch; the price of mounts has not fluctuated in the way it would if there had been an anomaly of the scale some imagine there was.

Conspiracy theories incoming!

But yes, I agree.
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

I generally agree with this. I think they handled the situation poorly, but I'm also frankly a bit appalled at the level of ridiculous that the situation is being blown up to.

Yeah, we get it was stupid, but that's no reason for people to have made it out to as big of a deal as they have. It's something that's becoming disquietingly common in gaming forums, in general, and frankly one of the biggest disappointments I have.

(DISCLAIMER: This post contains weapons-grade Opinionium. This type of digital metal contains dangerous levels of subjectivity and feels, and may not be agreeable with the mental systems of other people. If you experience issues as a result of exposure to Opinionium, we recommend that you breathe in, breathe out, and only respond once you even out.)

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    chidy1776 wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with this situation, and others like it, is that cryptic has been so slack on previouse exploits that people didnt think it was an issue. I dont blame cryptic for banning these ppl, especially since most ppl i know of just got a week suspension which i think was a better decision then perma bans. The problem is when you just let ppl get away with all kinds of questionable practices it says to everyone else, cryptic doesnt care if i do this and if i dnt do this i will be at a disadvantage. This is why ive been frustrated with bugs not getting fixdd and no action being taken against ppl using them.

In short cryptic cant be selective on how they deal with different exploits because it sends the wrong message to players, and ends up getting ppl punished that normally wouldnt act in an exploitive manner. I really hope they understand this point and can do better to take appropriate action in the future.

I personally hate exploiting in especially dungeons, but when its so common as to be expected of you, its hard to play the game and not exploit. Really hope they get better about this going forward, as it takes so much of the fun out of the game for me.

your so right. any luck they will keep up the banning to people who cheat steal and exploit the game.
    there be no game if they let cheating rot the game like it has many other games
    edited August 2013

Given that the official response did acknowledge the "higher than expected" chance of getting a mount and congratulated people for getting mounts, I wonder what evidence you're referring to ...
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Given that the official response did acknowledge the "higher than expected" chance of getting a mount and congratulated people for getting mounts, I wonder what evidence you're referring to ...

As I said, the evidence in game. I have more faith in that than the message you refer to...which incidentally felt awfully tongue-in-cheek at the time and even more so when I read threads like this.
  • xmachinaxmachina Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2013
    your so right. any luck they will keep up the banning to people who cheat steal and exploit the game.
    there be no game if they let cheating rot the game like it has many other games

I hope they don't run rampant and start banning for every petty stuff. I mean a majority of people exploit in dungeons because if you don't then you'll most likely be removed from that instance. But, yes major exploits like those in the past i.e stamina hack etc should be dealt with the most severity.
    edited August 2013
    As I said, the evidence in game. I have more faith in that than the message you refer to...which incidentally felt awfully tongue-in-cheek at the time and even more so when I read threads like this.

Hmmm ... it was an official post from a developer implying that people had received mounts due to a bug. It's ... interesting ... that you'd choose to believe the admin messages saying so-and-so received a mount weren't actually players receiving mounts even after developers implied those players did receive mounts ....
  • korgulltekorgullte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited August 2013

If it was a server message spam error do you not think they would not have come out and said that and saved themselves this entire ****storm.
    edited August 2013
    korgullte wrote: »
    If it was a server message spam error do you not think they would not have come out and said that and saved themselves this entire ****storm.

Of course they would have, which is what makes her argument so preposterous, lol.
  • moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    a lot people where spamming it was exploit also exploit is still exploit if u know it or not.
    example if you did not know it was agents rules to use 3rd party hacks on the game and you used them you should also still get a ban

My point is, there could be innocent people in that bunch. Obviously if I was intending to exploit I wouldn't be stating it here on the forums. Fortunately I never did the quest so I'm not at risk for getting banned. Literally I had no idea what was going on until bans started getting handed out.
This discussion has been closed.