test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wheres the drow?

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I cant believe how many people are clamouring for this race, there is nothing special about the Drow whatsoever it has been diddled to death by D&D writers for years with Drizzt being the culmination of it and now being the 'face' of the Drow...

Is it really that you want the race that much? or just the fact that Cryptic hasn't given you a confirmed date?

Yeah yeah 60 days after launch but so what, its a free to play game don't be so freakin greedy or impatient, when you get it you'll get it for christs sake..

Its simple, its because they are dark (as in evil not skin color.) And dark equals gritty and edgy. And edgy equals cool, for some reason I cant possibly understand. Its for the same reason you can run around PE and see dozens of characters in full black, or black with red, armor. Wearing the set that has the most spikes, or spikes with blades, as possible.

Combine this with the general Drizzt fandom. And you have critical mass for a Drowgasm.
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Its simple, its because they are dark (as in evil not skin color.) And dark equals gritty and edgy. And edgy equals cool, for some reason I cant possibly understand. Its for the same reason you can run around PE and see dozens of characters in full black, or black with red, armor. Wearing the set that has the most spikes, or spikes with blades, as possible.

Combine this with the general Drizzt fandom. And you have critical mass for a Drowgasm.

So because someone wants to play the Angry Emogoth of the realms we have to look at thread after thread of tears..

Drizzt reminds me of one of those dodgy 80's pictures of a scantily clad woman straddled on a motorbike with skulls/rock motifs all around it in a velour frame..

Time an a place an all that..
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There are many threads about the drow because people want it, and they want it noooooowwwwwwww.

The age of instant gratification has resulted in a lack of patience.
  • cregan83cregan83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5
    edited August 2013

Well I was going to play a character with a 9 to 5 job, kids, a SUV and a receeding hairline but that for some reason just seemed all too familiar.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cregan83 wrote: »
    Well I was going to play a character with a 9 to 5 job, kids, a SUV and a receeding hairline but that for some reason just seemed all too familiar.

I say go for it. You would be the most unique and interesting character on the shard :D Shame that doesn't seem to work out as well in RL
  • darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    Its simple, its because they are dark (as in evil not skin color.) And dark equals gritty and edgy. And edgy equals cool, for some reason I cant possibly understand.

You forgot to add that they also want their 'dark' race to be pretty. Otherwise we'd see a lot more half-orcs running around.
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's not about "being impatient". It's about holding the frelling company to it's words. I personally waited through their frelling Open Beta period, then got kicked down by them saying it wasn't "Launch". So I waited another 2 frelling months, and lo and behold, they're still holding out on the Drow. It's about trust, it's about responsibility, it's about ethics, and the devs of this game have shown absolutely none of it. I just logged in for the first time since release, when me and my guild quit, just to see if they'd hold true to their word. They didn't, and I logged off.

Even better, I've now found out they've pulled back on the class they promised for the new expansion (IE, $60 price grab to get the full experience). So, no new class, they continue to hold out on the Drow, and be the exact same sort of company they were back during Champions Online. Even better, EVEN. BETTER. They're making alll gear BoP so super hardcores can feel happy and snuggly at night, even though it hurts not only those trying to gear up, but those with gear that they can't use from random runs.

Wow. Just wow. They promised us a Zeppelin, and we got a balloon. Not even hot air, just a tiny little balloon.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    We were promised "At least sixty days after Launch."

That's today. June 20 to August 20. We might get them today. We might not. I don't know.

But we were promised no sooner than today. Period.
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We were promised "At least sixty days after Launch."

That's today. June 20 to August 20. We might get them today. We might not. I don't know.

But we were promised no sooner than today. Period.

Actually, Ambisinisterr, June was a 30 day month, and July was a 31 day month, so if we're getting absolutely technical, 30 days would have been the 19th, since the game "launched" officially on the 20th of June.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Indeed you are correct in that on the most technical of terms. However Cryptic counts months, for whatever reason, as being even 30 days.

I don't know why but any time they refer to a month they count it as thirty days despite the majority of months have 31 days.

As such, take a look at The FAQ. Cryptic stated it wouldn't be in a day before August 20. In their calendar, whether you agree or not, the 31st of July doesn't exist. :p

I didn't say it made sense...but that's the deal. It hasn't changed and has been the date we were all given since they confirmed that "Launch" was June 20. No tricks. No gimmicks. No lies.

At the very earliest it'll be out today. The clock for all the complaints starts today.
  • darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    thecain wrote: »
    It's not about "being impatient". It's about holding the frelling company to it's words. I personally waited through their frelling Open Beta period, then got kicked down by them saying it wasn't "Launch". So I waited another 2 frelling months, and lo and behold, they're still holding out on the Drow. It's about trust, it's about responsibility, it's about ethics, and the devs of this game have shown absolutely none of it. I just logged in for the first time since release, when me and my guild quit, just to see if they'd hold true to their word. They didn't, and I logged off.

The problem there is your lack of understanding, not developer ethics. They NEVER promised that Drow would be available to non-HotN purchasers after 60 days from launch regardless of what date was 'really' the launch. The promise they made was to those who DID purchase HotN that they would have exclusive access to Drow for AT LEAST 60 days from launch.
    They're making alll gear BoP so super hardcores can feel happy and snuggly at night, even though it hurts not only those trying to gear up, but those with gear that they can't use from random runs.

They aren't making ALL gear BoP. Item's purchased with seals/glory and the bonus rewards for completing Dungeon Delve events will be BoP, but other items will not be changed. And the hardcore aren't happy about the changes either since they lose a good source of AD income.

There are plenty of legitimate complaints that can be made about this game. But this Drow nonsense isn't one of them.

PS I am neither a HotN nor a hardcore player (I've never done an epic dungeon.)
  • h4lofanatich4lofanatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8
    edited August 2013
    Indeed you are correct in that on the most technical of terms. However Cryptic counts months, for whatever reason, as being even 30 days.

I don't know why but any time they refer to a month they count it as thirty days despite the majority of months have 31 days.

As such, take a look at The FAQ. Cryptic stated it wouldn't be in a day before August 20. In their calendar, whether you agree or not, the 31st of July doesn't exist. :p

I didn't say it made sense...but that's the deal. It hasn't changed and has been the date we were all given since they confirmed that "Launch" was June 20. No tricks. No gimmicks. No lies.

At the very earliest it'll be out today. The clock for all the complaints starts today.
    This.

M-muh drow. ;n;
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013

. . . . Also, it states, "will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release." The 19th would have been the 60th day, not after. Today the 20th would be after. So, anytime from here on out, we should hear word of the free drow.

So because someone wants to play the Angry Emogoth of the realms we have to look at thread after thread of tears..
    . . . . I fail to see "thread after thread" on the drow. Please Post Report on active multiple topics and they will be merged or handled appropriately. Alternatively, you can choose to not read them.
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for that tidbit of advice Zeb..

Per chance you could use the search button yourself and see that there are 145+/- Thread titles with the word Drow in them, with a large slice of them being threads about when/where/how will I get my drow?

Some recent, some in months gone by but enough for me to see them regular enough to comment on it, excuse me for saying but commenting on a type of thread and its frequency in the forums isn't against the TOC, nor is your turn a blind eye comment.

I don't see you turning a blind eye all that often tbh..
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for that tidbit of advice Zeb..

Per chance you could use the search button yourself and see that there are 145+/- Thread titles with the word Drow in them, with a large slice of them being threads about when/where/how will I get my drow?

Some recent, some in months gone by but enough for me to see them regular enough to comment on it, excuse me for saying but commenting on a type of thread and its frequency in the forums isn't against the TOC, nor is your turn a blind eye comment.

I don't see you turning a blind eye all that often tbh..
    . . . . We're human, we miss things! As I said, please post report on them as they appear and the first available moderator will handle it appropriately. There's no need to go searching the past when they're pushed off the first several pages already. If they're bumped and we spot them or they are reported on, we'll take care of them. This thread here should be the only allowed lively topic on the drow race at the moment, until it falls into the necro range. Thanks!
  • maskedbadger1maskedbadger1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Rumor had it that the Drow would be a playable race by August 20th. I know they are included in a purchasable pack, but is that it? Are the drow going to become a selectable race for everyone else?
    edited August 2013
    thecain wrote: »
    It's not about "being impatient". It's about holding the frelling company to it's words.

Yes, it's about being impatient. Their word is that the Drow will be released at least 60 days after the launch. This has been said over and over and over again. Many forum posters are simply choosing not to pay attention, for whatever reason.

When the term "at least 60 days" is used, it means that the absolute earliest day Drow would have been available to all is today, yet people have been going on an on about for a long time now.

The term "at least 60 days" also means that it doesn't have to be today. It could be today or any day after today. This has also be said over and over and over again, yet some posters don't seem to grasp it.

So, yes, it's about being impatient, and also about being imperceptive.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No sooner than 60 days after launch doesn't mean that they will actually be released August 20.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited August 2013
    Rumour is wrong.

The Drow will be playable by all at the earliest on August 20th. It can also be any time after August 20th.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It'll get released (f2p) when they 'need' to release it not a second earlier!

As long as the player base is at or above target & HotN sells, why destroy the cow you can milk; when the milk dries up, then you slaughter it, not before!
  • writer12writer12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What it meant was that it wouldn't be included earlier than Aug. 20th. So, a person couldn't expect a free drow in July. It can be added anytime after Aug. 20th.
  • lonegreywolf20lonegreywolf20 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not sure where they are, but thought I would check to see if they happened to be released today, but as of yet, no.

So, I will continue to wait till they are in order to play the game.
  • s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    writer12 wrote: »
    What it meant was that it wouldn't be included earlier than Aug. 20th. So, a person couldn't expect a free drow in July. It can be added anytime after Aug. 20th.

I wonder since Even on an account that does not have the Knight of the Feywild pack I can't make a Sun Elf so I wonder if the Sun Elf will be there "free Drow" since apparently Moon Elves are High Elf
  • opposingfarceopposingfarce Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As far as "they only said it would be sometime after sixty days" goes: you're right, of course, and since we're literally right on the edge of the other side of that timeline now, there's no sense complaining that the drow isn't available yet. However, now that we are past that line drawn in the sand, it would be nice to get some word on what the plans are, at least. Really, I would have to hope it'll be sometime soon-- if nothing else, it's really pretty disingenuous to say "sometime after sixty days" and then hold it off for another 120, you know?

Unlocking the Drow with the Feywild patch would make a ton of sense and personally I'd say it's The Right Move (TM) but since they haven't mentioned it anywhere yet I'm not banking on it.
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ^ I know the feeling. :/
    edited August 2013
    Unlocking the Drow with the Feywild patch would make a ton of sense and personally I'd say it's The Right Move (TM) but since they haven't mentioned it anywhere yet I'm not banking on it.

There would be nothing 'right' about it, but I think it would make sense as well. Perhaps they will release it a long with the Feywild update, to take the sting some are having from not getting the Moon Elf for free.
    edited August 2013
    No, the Sun Elf isn't the free Drow, as it isn't a Drow. It is another free elven race.

The free Drow is still on it's way, any time from moments into the future to who knows when.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Sun Elf is the free counterpart to the Moon Elf, not to the Menzoberranzan Renegade.
  • s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know it was more or less a joke because they could play on the well sun elves have a uhm dark dark tan? lols and the fact that Moon Elves are titled High Elf instead of Moon Elf... why have two separate names? only Wood Elf and Moon Elf seem to have a different name in the race selection rather then any other race..
    edited August 2013
    Basically every race besides humans have subraces.
    I am sure we'll see plenty more in time and when we do those races will be defined more accurately. :)

However, to confirm, the drow has been stated to be available no sooner than August 20.
This discussion has been closed.