test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

gold seller spamming

Comments

• bren1226bren1226 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    seriously, i've yet to see that. at least that i've noticed.... interesting... o,O
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The GMs have banned the spam accounts before, but the problem is they keep coming with new accounts. It's probably hard to keep them at bay.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    The GMs have banned the spam accounts before, but the problem is they keep coming with new accounts. It's probably hard to keep them at bay.

It happens across all ftp games with zero restriction in registering for a new account. Only difference each game can make is how active and fast the GMs can be in removing the gold sellers through reports.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It should not be hard to implement a way to make sure they don't use there web site as char names.

All Cryptic needs to do is add it to the block list.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mikex79x wrote: »
    stripped female???, wth???

Not only females i seen males too
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ah... Gold Sellers. If I remember reading right, they run gaming sweatshops where people play the game to farm items, currency, etc... so they can sell it. And the people working in these sweatshops earn very little, with the owner of the enterprise recieving nearly all the profit. Using bots only makes things cheaper for them, but solving things like captchas are what they hire people for.

Perhaps one day MMO game companies will start working with email providers to track down the gold sellers and stop them from coming into the game. Not likely though... as long as they can make money gold sellers will do whatever it takes to get into an MMO and sell whatever they can at as little cost as possible.

And as the WoW example has shown, even being subscription based doesn't protect an MMO from them. Apparently they make so much money that they can open new accounts faster than they can be closed.

Perhaps one day MMO companies will start working with email providers to track down these gold sellers. I mean... nowadays you have to confirm your identity to get a new Gmail address. I figure they can use that...

Okay, I'm ranting here. Back to my cup of K-cup coffee...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • maggalberrymaggalberry Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cryptic, please do everyone a favor and add a limit on how many messages you can send in a certain amount of time. Do SOMETHING to combat the gold sellers.
  • mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited August 2013
    you already have an option to Ignore them, use it that option.
    edited August 2013
    you already have an option to Ignore them, use it that option.

I already do that, but not until they get a massive amount of messages that completely wipe my chat box.

I get the feeling that you're against a chat limiter that suppresses people who spam... Why would anyone be against something like that?
  • lordgrimmwoodlordgrimmwood Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I already do that, but not until they get a massive amount of messages that completely wipe my chat box.

I get the feeling that you're against a chat limiter that suppresses people who spam... Why would anyone be against something like that?

Probly because there is nothing more annoying than having to wait 60 secs between chat. And conssider most gold sellers are really bots (at least in most games) so that really wouldn't bother them to much.
    tumblr_mm7g22WQog1spm248o1_1280.png

My first Foundry mission, The Valley of Darkness NW-DG9DOTZLU
    edited August 2013
    Probly because there is nothing more annoying than having to wait 60 secs between chat. And conssider most gold sellers are really bots (at least in most games) so that really wouldn't bother them to much.

It's not a problem if you don't spam chat. Plus, in what game is the timer 60 seconds?

And no, it wouldn't bother them, but it would suppress them.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I had a friend who suggested they charge people 1ad for every rapidly spammed chat in a row. PWE would make a fortune.
    edited August 2013
    It's not a problem if you don't spam chat. Plus, in what game is the timer 60 seconds?

And no, it wouldn't bother them, but it would suppress them.

Well DCUO comes to mind, and I think Rift has them as well (though I could very well be wrong on that). Basically it's hindering us more than them, so why bother with it?

• mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited August 2013
    ive played games where there is limit to chat, heck they even put limit to noobs to chat and able to utter few sentences only, and what did you get, people quiting, complaining, blah blah, mind you PWI is not new to gaming and ive played some of their games too, i know we dont want to see spam in our screen but let me tell, if you do not want it, turn of your zone chat, dont go to city where most of the spamming came from, heck if you want your life to be lonely do it, but dont take us with you.
    edited August 2013
    ive played games where there is limit to chat, heck they even put limit to noobs to chat and able to utter few sentences only, and what did you get, people quiting, complaining, blah blah, mind you PWI is not new to gaming and ive played some of their games too, i know we dont want to see spam in our screen but let me tell, if you do not want it, turn of your zone chat, dont go to city where most of the spamming came from, heck if you want your life to be lonely do it, but dont take us with you.

I'm sorry, but you're just crazy. Putting a spam limiter in means I want a lonely life?

Do you guys even know what a spam suppressor is?
    edited August 2013
    Well DCUO comes to mind, and I think Rift has them as well (though I could very well be wrong on that). Basically it's hindering us more than them, so why bother with it?

Rift does have a spam suppressor, but the amount of time you have to wait if you do reach it is ~15 seconds.

A suppressor doesn't hinder anyone but bot spammers. Or people that like to argue in zone wide chats.
    edited August 2013
    Yes but the sad fact is that alot of times Spam Suppressors don't always work. Most of the time I either right click their name and hit report Spamming, or just turn off zone. problem solved. Maybe you're ok with having chat restrictions but many of us are not.

edited August 2013
    Yes but the sad fact is that alot of times Spam Suppressors don't always work. Most of the time I either right click their name and hit report Spamming, or just turn off zone. problem solved. Maybe you're ok with having chat restrictions but many of us are not.

You're not restricting chat at all. People shouldn't be spamming in the first place.
    edited August 2013
    You're not restricting chat at all. People shouldn't be spamming in the first place.

Ok so maybe it takes you a minute to respond when you're talking with someone, but many of us type faster than that. I get that your frustrated with the gold spammers but there is really nothing you can do about them except for turning off zone chat or reporting them for spam and ignoring them. Putting chat restrictions on everybody because of the spammers is tantamount to hobbling all the horses in a herd because a few might run faster than others.

edited August 2013
    Ok so maybe it takes you a minute to respond when you're talking with someone, but many of us type faster than that. I get that your frustrated with the gold spammers but there is really nothing you can do about them except for turning off zone chat or reporting them for spam and ignoring them. Putting chat restrictions on everybody because of the spammers is tantamount to hobbling all the horses in a herd because a few might run faster than others.

You keep saying it's a restriction on everyone, when it is the exact opposite. The only people it restricts is spammers. If you want to talk to someone, whisper them. If you're trying to talk to multiple people, group with all of them and talk.

I suppose you're also against restricting certain words in chat, right? Because those also don't help against gold spammers, right? I'd also assume you'd be against putting a level requirement on Zone (Only Zone) chat in town, right?
    edited August 2013
    You keep saying it's a restriction on everyone, when it is the exact opposite. The only people it restricts is spammers. If you want to talk to someone, whisper them. If you're trying to talk to multiple people, group with all of them and talk.

I suppose you're also against restricting certain words in chat, right? Because those also don't help against gold spammers, right? I'd also assume you'd be against putting a level requirement on Zone (Only Zone) chat in town, right?

It is still restricting everyone, no matter how you try to paint it. Personally I like talking in zone to others sometimes. And sorry but I have to just laugh at your ridiculousness right now. Yes I for one am against putting a level restriction on Zone chat. Many new people need help and Zone is the quickest way to help them out a lot of the time. And what words would you even begin to try to censor in chat? Basically just because you're too lazy to report them spamming and ignoring them, doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to suffer because of that.

edited August 2013
    It is still restricting everyone, no matter how you try to paint it. Personally I like talking in zone to others sometimes. And sorry but I have to just laugh at your ridiculousness right now. Yes I for one am against putting a level restriction on Zone chat. Many new people need help and Zone is the quickest way to help them out a lot of the time. And what words would you even begin to try to censor in chat? Basically just because you're too lazy to report them spamming and ignoring them, doesn't mean that the rest of us should have to suffer because of that.

If you had read my response to the first guy that feels the way you do, I DO report them for spam (Which also ignores them).

If someone needs help, and the zone chat is level restricted, they can freely whisper someone.

I'll just leave you to think the way you do. I'm getting bored with you just saying the same thing over and over.
    edited August 2013
    If you had read my response to the first guy that feels the way you do, I DO report them for spam (Which also ignores them).

If someone needs help, and the zone chat is level restricted, they can freely whisper someone.

I'll just leave you to think the way you do. I'm getting bored with you just saying the same thing over and over.
    You're getting bored? Took you long enough, I got tired of banging my head against the wall a while back. Night!

• laiba23laiba23 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You're getting bored? Took you long enough, I got tired of banging my head against the wall a while back. Night!

This all ends now .....
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like this idea. It has merit.

/signed
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I like this idea. It has merit.

/signed

At least someone agrees!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . No need to pick apart people's opinions, state your opinions (which you both have) and move on. If you're going to argue, take it to PMs. Thanks!
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    They have this game, Evony. On it, everything costs money. You can actually only send about five messages in general chat, before you have to buy credits to send more messages in general chat. When you start to suppress for whatever reason, the luxury people have to chat in trade. You are certainty going to discourage majority of user base.

Look at it this way, only a small percent of people spam sites and normally people sell stuff in general. If you limit them to certain amount of messages or till a certain level. It's outcome is not going to be great. You could always report people that are sending excesses messages, they will be ignored right away.

Just saying.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013

No, they can't, because whisper is level-restricted, and... you're suggesting a new player who doesn't know anything or anyone should just pick a random person to privately ask their question? What?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    all they'd have to do is limit the number of times someone can repeat the same chat text. if you attempt to spam in this manner, it adds 10-20 seconds that you have to wait before you can chat again. each time you attempt to bypass this, the timer resets.
This discussion has been closed.