gold seller spamming

124»

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The time delay between posting in /Zone is fine but
    aaronjf wrote: »

Finally, maybe eliminate the copy/paste or whatever it is that allows them to spam the same thing over and over. If every spam has to be manually entered character by character, they will maybe get one spam out and be ignored by enough people to be muted before they have the chance to type it out again.

this is trivial to get around so not really worth implementing.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    if eliminating the gold spammers was easy, it would already have been done. it's obviously a daily fight since i know that when i see spam, i report it immediately. those reports go somewhere. while we can't see behind the lines, we can't simply assume that they are doing nothing. limiting chat times doesn't just affect spammers, it affects all chat users. limiting zone chat for low level characters could work, but legitimate first time players seeking help would be screwed. unless they had a separate special chat zone for characters 1-5 or 1-10 that was real-time administered by pwe. or pwe could admin zone chat in real time. as it is now, they are relying on us to report these infractions and while we have the ability to mute those individuals, the problem is that it happens frequently and after a while it gets old.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i was on twitch.tv yesterday watching the neverwinter #childsplay drive and whenever they would do a give-away, they would have everyone in chat type in a hashtagged phrase. twitch chat is apparently set up to detect when you type the same thing in twice over a number of seconds and won't send your duplicated text until the timer has expired or unless you type something else. there are many ways to skin a cat.
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    if eliminating the gold spammers was easy, it would already have been done. it's obviously a daily fight since i know that when i see spam, i report it immediately. those reports go somewhere. while we can't see behind the lines, we can't simply assume that they are doing nothing. limiting chat times doesn't just affect spammers, it affects all chat users. limiting zone chat for low level characters could work, but legitimate first time players seeking help would be screwed. unless they had a separate special chat zone for characters 1-5 or 1-10 that was real-time administered by pwe. or pwe could admin zone chat in real time. as it is now, they are relying on us to report these infractions and while we have the ability to mute those individuals, the problem is that it happens frequently and after a while it gets old.
    That's why I thought of the zone chat delay. EASY FAST fix. Couldn't take more than a few hours tops to code that, or at least I would think.. Then again I'm not a programmer. I really love this game and hate seeing it being destroyed by some flippin' gold spammers. I know several people have been affected by it to the point of quitting. I am almost there myself and don't want to be.. :/
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think the second option of having a 30 second delay between posts is the best solution out of those you said.

I also agree with having to get to level 10 to post in zone chat.

I would suggest making a hybrid of the 2 solutions. If you are level 20 and under, you can only post in zone chat once every 30 seconds.
    That's a great idea seeing low lvl folks w/ legit questions could still get the help they needed, find a group etc!
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I believe Cryptic is doing something about. This new surge of spamming seems to be a direct counter to it. I mean, it makes little sense to have a ready supply of bots to rotate in if they didn't expect the first few to be muted and silenced.

It no longer matters if they get silenced. They just move to the next bot in line once the first has completed its macro. You could put in flood control measures. But all they would do is run a slower macro. One look at the number of level 60 bots farming instances only shows how little level restrictions would work.

The only real fix is to not buy from them. If their is no money in it they will go elsewhere. The only positive of all this is if the game has this level of gold spam, its a fair indication its still doing well.
  • Options
    lordscimitarlordscimitar Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aaronjf wrote: »
    Finally, maybe eliminate the copy/paste or whatever it is that allows them to spam the same thing over and over. If every spam has to be manually entered character by character, they will maybe get one spam out and be ignored by enough people to be muted before they have the chance to type it out again.

They just use a macro and mash that, or bot it.

The delay would likely be most effective, but one of the other issues is that gold sellers tend to use hacked accounts to spam.
    It's also up to users to protect their NWO accounts and their email accounts, since Cryptic sends a verification code email if you log in another machine.
    There is but one destination, to which all paths inevitably lead...
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    flood-control can be very simple to implement; if a player sends more than 5 chats in less than a seconds, then it is a spam bot... Like in the AH, they are either banned from chatting for some amount of time, or better, the account gets banned for an hour the first time, a day the next time, and permanently at the third offense...

pollution must be dealt with swiftly...
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zaodonn wrote: »
    1. it would not prevent /commands. Derp?
    2. 1 message every 3 seconds would never affect any real human being. Ever. At all. Not even a little.
    3. There is never a reason to post a URL in zone or say. Ever. If someone asks a question in zone, /tell them the url.
    4. 99.9999999999999999999% of MMORPGs have such a limit. Neverwinter has a /tell limit at level 10!!!!! Derp.
    And you are really commited at what you say;);););)
  • Options
    xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sorry, but its just not true. There are several games which have successfully eliminated gold farmers. DDO is one of them.

Rather than try to combat them generically, what DDO did was add code designed solely to detect their website names, since obviously, those can't, in the end, change. Sure you can use "dot" instead of ".", and you can try to use \/\/ instead of a W, but in the end, you run out of ways to spell your website name, and with dedicated code to each website, DDO shut them all down.

For this game, URL detection + rate-of-post-limit + level 10 requirement for zone chat = very reduced gold spamming.

Star Trek online all so has got rid 90% of the gold spammers Now they spam the in game mail system.

What Cryptic needs to do is implement the same thing they did in sto to Never Winter.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    I thought there was already a level limit on zone chat. If there isn't, it really needs to be set to level 15. Level 10 takes hardly any time at all to get to. This rule should be negated if someone has a level 60 character on their account.

Websites shouldn't be allowed at all. Nobody needs to post a URL in chat. If its necessary, /tell it to the person.

A limit on the number of messages per second absolutely needs to be set. Nobody needs to spam more than 3 lines of text in 1 second.

Lastly, look at almost every other MMO out there and get ideas on how to fight it. Lets take WoW for example. I haven't seen a gold spammer in trade chat in.. a VERY long time. nor has there been any mail spam.

Obviously its not possible to eliminate it, but imposing the same restrictions as every other MMO out there has would definitely help a lot.
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    3. There is never a reason to post a URL in zone or say. Ever.

Well this right here is bull <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> - Lots of Guilds post their URL address for people to be able to go see their Webpage and see if the guild is something they are interested in joining, and that is a perfectly valid thing to do.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . Many threads merged, polls closed. Thanks for the feedback folks however there is no need for threads like these. Please report spammers at your discretion, they will be dealt with. PWE/Cryptic are actively taking steps to reduce and stop Gold Spammers. No matter what, gold spammers will happen and all the threads in the world won't change that. Report and/pr Ignore them. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.