test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Feedback] Alchemy - post your feedback here!

Comments

• Options
    thepresident777thepresident777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just want to make some tea, with yak butter. Is that too much to ask?
  • Options
    lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    I want drinks in the taverns... :(
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The lack of indication of what the chances are to succeed on an experiment has gotten really obnoxious.

Experimenting 8-10 times to acquire 2 scrolls is aggravating. The level I'm working on right now requires me to unlock 5 recipes, of which I've gotten 1 in about 6 attempts so far. The ingredients for the experiment cost 10 silver each time, and that's completely ignoring the investment put into preparing the Aqua Vitae, even keeping the cost of that minimal by taking more time for the vitriols.

The fun factor drops off a lot the more frustrating it becomes to get anywhere.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The lack of indication of what the chances are to succeed on an experiment has gotten really obnoxious.

Experimenting 8-10 times to acquire 2 scrolls is aggravating. The level I'm working on right now requires me to unlock 5 recipes, of which I've gotten 1 in about 6 attempts so far. The ingredients for the experiment cost 10 silver each time, and that's completely ignoring the investment put into preparing the Aqua Vitae, even keeping the cost of that minimal by taking more time for the vitriols.

The fun factor drops off a lot the more frustrating it becomes to get anywhere.
    +1
    I didn't have a single experiment scroll drop in 20+ attempts at rank 3. Worthless profession is worthless. Given the state of the other professions...that's quite an achievement.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Up to about level 7, I experienced very few failures. Now I fail far more often than I succeed. I know there's an RNG involved, but I don't know if this is supposed to be a 75% chance of success and I've been unlucky lately, or 25% chance of success and I used to be lucky or what. I'm on rank 11 and I'll probably keep pushing along, but... ugh. And I'm not an instant gratification type.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the biggest improvement I can think of, is assign, the % chance to get materials needed for the xp mission, to be,
    character's total lvl ( 1 to 60 )+35=%chance

that gives a lvl 10 a 45% chance to successfully make research, and a lvl 60, have a 95% chance (the biggest problem with professions is, they don't level quick enough to keep up with overall level

also if i was set this way on all professions, then the lower total level you are , the harder to level professions. ( and the higher total level, the easier to level professions )
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well, my overall success rate on experiments is probably better than 50%. I can only give precise numbers for the two runs of experiments that generated primordial goo, since I know there were 10 recipes to unlock and I now have 17 goo without having purposely transmuted any other items. But the long runs of failure do tend to be dispiriting.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The biggest problem with Alchemy is the LEVELLING BUG. at a random level it decides not to give you xp for your research, hides the research and experimentation al abilities and leaves you stuck at that level.

going on the bug rports, this is anytime form level 2 on
  • Options
    melanie2781melanie2781 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Didn't read through all 11 pages to see if anyone has this issue, but I've done the 18 hours to upgrade to a mixologist 2 times now and still have no mixologist. Oh and my 8 apothecaries I used to upgrade are gone. This is getting a little old. Is it a chance thing? It doesn't say it is...
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is anybody else noticing a HUGE nerf to the success chance of experimentation since the last patch ? my figures over 3 apothecaries:

Pre patch: my perception was that it was about 50:50

Successes: 79
    Failures: 83

Post patch:

Successes: 44
    Failures: 77

Also I'm noticing a pattern, 13 of my last 14 levels have started failure-failure-success, and more than half of those have continued with 3 failures and then another success in that exact order.

Currently on a run of 4 successes 11 failures needing 5, never had more than 8 fails before in one level.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I haven't been tracking it properly, but I have perceived a much increased rate of failure on the last several levels. It could be since the most recent patch. I think last night was 5 failures for the 2 successes I needed to continue, but forgot to count potions before starting.

@Melanie
    I have fused several mixologists successfully. As far as I know, only the experiments have a chance to fail. Other tasks should always give you something.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've not had any trouble levelling. Usually it's around 8 tries for 3 scrolls. Most has been about 12. Tedious but manageable.

What's more annoying is the lack of any really good potions. Most are available either free or at a much lesser cost. The dyes are all dull colours and making them not able to dye separate parts of clothes like you can with the store dyes is just petty and penny-pinching. You've made the alchemy dyes so second rate that no one will make them and no one will buy them. What was the point of that?

Having hit lv 17 I can say with some certainty that this is the worst of the professions so far. I look forward to your attempt at weaponsmithing.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I always do the alchemical type craft in every game I play, as I love to be able to make potions.

I also agree that the tasks should produce batches of potions, not a single potion. That doesn't even make any sense. What alchemist would really waste that much time on a single potion?

You spend time making a batch of cookies, not one at a time. Come on. It's another time/currency sink. Blatant in my opinion. I don't mind them expiring on death. I do mind that I can only make one at a time and I feel that needs to be fixed. Somehow I think that PW doesn't really want an alchemist to be in competition with their stores and the AH. SWTOR was like that. It simply was not worth it to sell the stims you made, but it was worth it to make them for yourself alone.

Perhaps, as you level up in Alchemy, you would progress from making 1 potion at a time to making 3 then 5 then 10. That would make sense. The RARE tasks should be to create extraordinary potions that aren't normally available through the NPCs or drops.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have also noticed a nerf to a success rate:(. It was already difficult to level, I hope they will consider rolling back the nerf.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pain in the *** to level, requiring constant babysitting of 10 minute tasks, because the effectiveness of "mass" tasks is laughable (= more power to botters using scripts to run things from the gateway), and then relies on luck to get the recipes.

The crafting times for healing potions are ridiculous too, 1h15m for ONE greater potion? I assume major potions will be 2 hours? Once again, more power to the botters.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Really, takes that long? I can see Im just going to waste my time leveling up Alchemy.
  • Options
    solari666solari666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OMFG man, this Alchemy is so boring, all time i make the unknow potion and NEVER take the knowledge, my lv is 4 and dont up...
  • Options
    zellexzellex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Maybe you guys that are talking about success rates being nerfed just got to the next tier and it got harder? Hmm that's a thought huh? hehe It's like saying they nerfed leveling your character because you got from 1 - 20 in your first session of playing now you are only averaging 6 - 8 levels a session... think... think ... think...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zellex wrote: »
    Maybe you guys that are talking about success rates being nerfed just got to the next tier and it got harder? Hmm that's a thought huh? hehe It's like saying they nerfed leveling your character because you got from 1 - 20 in your first session of playing now you are only averaging 6 - 8 levels a session... think... think ... think...

If you read all my posts, I've repeatedly said I'm not sure what's going on with the numbers. There is nothing in the game to indicate what percentage of experiments can be expected to succeed at any level, so it's quite frustrating to go from mostly successes to mostly failures.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

Umm..no. I have 4 characters so can compare;). One is way ahead of the others. It has been much harder leveling the lower level ones in the past couple of days.
  • Options
    kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    yahoo, my experimentation task has reappeared on my list. I can now continue trying to level.

ON chances of experiment to give notes for research.
    Most of mine are running about 5-6 dud runs plus the ones which give me the required amount.
    The only bad one, was I think level 8 which was dud,dud,dud,dud,dud,dud,dud,dud,dud,dud,dud,dud......... research notes, repeat for second one...... slightly less for other ones

12 was only 1 dud
  • Options
    zellexzellex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you read all my posts, I've repeatedly said I'm not sure what's going on with the numbers. There is nothing in the game to indicate what percentage of experiments can be expected to succeed at any level, so it's quite frustrating to go from mostly successes to mostly failures.

I failed a lot all the way up on my Alchemists....it's gotten worse imo as I have gotten higher in level... now I just said forget it and am selling dyes... as I was looking down the list and also as with all professions I realized I'm going to have to spend real cash or outrageous amounts of AD to get upgraded crucibles to get better results later... tbh I'm giving up on anything besides making dye and Leadership.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well, I just finished by level 13 experiments and it was 7 tries to get 3 successes. I'm going to try to keep an exact count, but I'm very nearly to the stage of needing to upgrade dudes again, so will have to plateau for a few days to do that.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I failed a lot all the way up on my Alchemists....it's gotten worse imo as I have gotten higher in level... now I just said forget it and am selling dyes... as I was looking down the list and also as with all professions I realized I'm going to have to spend real cash or outrageous amounts of AD to get upgraded crucibles to get better results later... tbh I'm giving up on anything besides making dye and Leadership.

Its a P2W frackin game what do you expect?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I was using basic crucibles to fill all the bonus slots for batch brewing and getting the middle result quite frequently.

Most people who spent a load of money at alchemy launch to get fancy tools and dudes decided they weren't worth it after all and promptly auctioned the lot, since you just get marginally bigger stacks, not better stuff.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    maokharkkonanmaokharkkonan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Potion of Power, Flask of Potency, Flask of Protection do not show up in Trade house searches but you can post them. I would say that the desirable products of alchemy are at level 20 but they are not able to be distributed to the market. I'd say that is a major failure of Alchemy. Dye packs are great, lots of demand and fun. Lower level potions can make some Astral diamonds by virtue of supply monopoly coming from Alchemy, not such a bad thing since alchemists are the only one buying them. There are a few good marketable items from Alchemy which is better than the other professions. As soon as we can market level 20 products Alchemy will be far superior to the other crafts.
  • Options
    itsneoitsneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 74
    edited July 2013
    Ok time I post here, I've a level 18 GWF I been trying to level Alchemy on. I managed to rank to level 2 no problem, since then, however, I have not made ANY progress, I do the 5x mats then 5x Vilroil then 5x Experimental. ALL DAY, the past 3 days, and by all day I mean I am watching it like a hawk for HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS every day, both online and in the gateway. And NOTHING. no scrolls, no leveling, no movement what so ever. I do have a stack of unstable pots tho (after using a few still have 15).

This SO has to be broken.

IGN: DrDoom
    CLS: Heretic
    SVR: Atlantis
    IND ID:1000165G030200060007250S15fb1f

you should see the stacks of 4 different sized unstable potions i have. I got bored yesaterday and used 35 on myself.

heal, poison, shrink, cleanse... seem to be the only results I got.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am getting close to being able to make the dye packs... are they normal bottles of dye, or do they just set a piece of gear to follow the color scheme of the other class?

Also, some of the results for Alchemy tasks, when done via the Gateway, only display as "tracker" with a little square icon.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    "Tracker" - you can tell if you've succeeded by whether or not you have a new recipe at that level. I've been trying not to experiment via Gateway anymore though in case there's any legitimacy to reports of problems.

From what I gather, the dyes just change colour scheme of the entire item. There is no primary/secondary choice or anything fancy. Haven't tried making any because that would slow down levelling.

Neverwinter Census 2017