test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Feedback] Alchemy - post your feedback here!

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey everyone!

Please use this thread to post your feedback about the newest profession in Neverwinter, Alchemy!

Cheers!
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How can there be any feed back if the reward for gather simple components is still broken? Pine wood and a simple pelt instead of alchemy exp?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Overall, I like it. It is different then the other professions and quite refreshing. I know some players found the level mechanic of it a little confusing, but I had no issues there. For the record, I leveled up alchemy to 20 on the preview server and I'm at level 6 now on the live servers.

Pros - I love the discovery portion of this instead of being handed every recipe as soon as you hit the level. I would love to see this expanded both in alchemy and in the other professions. Maybe have some recipes as drops.

Cons - I don't like that level 1 mats are used from level 1 all the way to level 20 to make aqua vitae. It forces users to farm low level zones.

-Could use more dyes.
    capnbludd wrote: »
    How can there be any feed back if the reward for gather simple components is still broken? Pine wood and a simple pelt instead of alchemy exp?

That is working as intended. You are only supposed to get the mats and no xp for alchemy. You have 1 task each level that will give you all the XP you need to level. Just do experimentation until you have enough basic alchemical knowledge to do the research task.
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How are you leveling? On my game all I get are the wood and the simple pelt that should be a leatherworking gather result, I didn't /bug it since I figured it was something everyone was getting and it would be patched. I didn't try it until today and it had been live since yesterday..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    capnbludd wrote: »
    How are you leveling? On my game all I get are the wood and the simple pelt that should be a leatherworking gather result, I didn't /bug it since I figured it was something everyone was getting and it would be patched. I didn't try it until today and it had been live since yesterday..

Pelt is used for both leatherworking and alchemy. Wood is exclusive to alchemy. Gather those and then use the wood/pelts to do the simple vitriol extraction. Once you have green and blue vitriol you should be able to do the rank 1 experimentation. Once that is done you will have the basic alchemical knowledge needed to do the research task and level up.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ahh ok, wasn't expecting a different mechanic, thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    inexgravinexgrav Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    looking usuless, hard, boring, etc
    pukmp.jpg
  • Options
    aecardsharkaecardshark Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Pelt is used for both leatherworking and alchemy. Wood is exclusive to alchemy. Gather those and then use the wood/pelts to do the simple vitriol extraction. Once you have green and blue vitriol you should be able to do the rank 1 experimentation. Once that is done you will have the basic alchemical knowledge needed to do the research task and level up.

My problem is that I did all of the basic creation things, but still have not gotten the "Alchemical Knowledge" scroll thing to access the XP gaining task. Do you have to do it several times or should it show up on the first try after making the unstable potion?
  • Options
    malerick1malerick1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dardove wrote: »

This gets you to level 2, but then for the next one you need 3 Basic Alchemical Knowledge. Repeat the Rank 2 experiment until you gain 3 Basic Alchemical Knowledge. I assume that this pattern continues.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    >< Turning off the filter that was set to hide tasks with unmet requirements helped me understand things a lot better, heh I forgot that was even there since it had been turned on so long ago. All I could see was the gather task before I turned it off 8') Thanks again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    malerick1 wrote: »
    This gets you to level 2, but then for the next one you need 3 Basic Alchemical Knowledge. I did the Rank 2 experiment and gained nothing. No new recipe and no Basic Alchemical Knowledge and the Rank 2 Experiment is no longer available. How do I gain 3 Basic Alchemical Knowledge now?

Sometimes with the experimentations you get just an unstable potion and other times you get an unstable potion, a recipe and basic alchemical knowledge. Keep gathering up the mats needed to do the expirimentations and run them. It should always show up on your list of tasks unless you are already running an experimentation or you have the task list filtered to only show tasks where you have all the required mats and you don't have the mats at the moment.
  • Options
    orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like the new system. And for people saying Alchemy is useless... upgraded Health potions and all-new STAMINA potions are definitely not useless!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The drops from skill nodes are really low, and farming skill node is impossible after 20 nodes or so, which makes playing the new profession quite a pain. And i have yet to drop solvent.
  • Options
    egreir87egreir87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its a nice profession but sadly it lacks at lvl 20. Theirs two flask that is discover able with decent stat buffs. Sad thing is they don't last through death. One is major flask of potency that gives +225 to crit, recovery, power, and provides a 7.5% crit severity for 1800 secs. The other one is a defensive flask called Major flask of protection that increases defense and deflection by 225 and max hit points by 1000 for 1800 sec. Both are usable at lvl 30 even tho their rank 20 alch flasks. Other than that theirs the lvl 19 distilled healing potions that heal for the normal 8500 but also regens 700 hit points every two secs for 12 secs. And of course the major unstable potions which is basically like mad alch pots from wow.

Its a profession that is nice but theirs no real content that "needs" it right now. And being that they go away through death sucks. So im just stockpiling for now :( maybe until content comes out. By then tho most people will have their alch maxed and i wont make any profit! (:P)
  • Options
    skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'm liking it so far. I think a lot of people complaining do so because they don't understand how it works so maybe a quick and dirty tutorial somewhere would fix that.

I think adding in dyes that aren't readily available thru AH or Zen purchases as super rare might make it better but overall I really like it.

Looking forward to Weaponsmithing with the upcoming module 1 release as well!

**edited to add, It would be good if, having more than one apthecary you could do more than one experimentation at a time I think. Especially when you get higher than level 2 and need more than one alchemical knowledge scroll. It makes leveling a little slow. Maybe do one where you can do three experiments over x amount of hours like the mass gathering so we can set it to run when we log or something.
  • Options
    unskyaunskya Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So far I am liking having something a little bit different. The main thing I am somewhat concerned about is that by level 4 you have to have quite a few workers doing stuff to keep things going. You need three different potions, a couple gathering, another doing another needed item, and finally another actually doing the experiments for a chance of getting what you need. That is 7 guys needed to keep things going and for new players that haven't unlocked quite a few this profession would be almost impossible to level. The other professions don't seem to really slow down their progression until around level 11.
  • Options
    derangedheroderangedhero Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do like that the mechanics for levelling Alchemy feel different from other professions.

However, since we are only allowed to run a single "Rank __ Experimentation" task at any given time, rather than the usual three (or six) simultaneous runs, progress ends up feeling bottlenecked by that, even if one has sufficient materials.

Since players cannot progress to the next level recipes before also investing several hours in a single "level up" task after they have had enough successful experiments, this further makes alchemy feel forcibly throttled when it comes to progress, rather than a goal that one can invest more or less effort in.

If it could be possible to allow multiple simultaneous queueing of experimentation tasks, it would allow a lot more freedom for potential alchemists, making the process of learning the skill much more leisurely. =)
    ---
    [SIGPIC]Or am I?[/SIGPIC]
    This loony is also known as @Derangement.
  • Options
    ozball1ozball1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm going to add to the calls to allow multi experimentation tasks, or as skyewolf1 suggested a mass experimentation task for the time when we want to set something to go over night. At the moment I only really run Alchemy when I'm logged in or have regular access to the gateway, and not really overnight.
  • Options
    denominateddenominated Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The new mechanic is really frustrating for me. I got my level 1 knowledge on the first try. I have now created 17 level 2 experiments and have one knowledge to show for it. Since it requires constant attention and the reward for failure is a joke that gets old fast, and the demand on material is only going to get higher, you really need to consider upgrading the return rate. How bad is it at level 3? Level 5? Level 19? When you're using harder to find drops, this is going to go well beyond mindless tedium and enter full masochism territory. Without any measurable progress reward mechanic this feels like banging your head against the wall until you get smart enough to stop.
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Took a little while to get used to it and understand how it works, but I have grown accustomed to it and I enjoy it so far.
  • Options
    joshrandhalljoshrandhall Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I also think conceptually it's a welcome addition and enjoy it to a degree.

I agree however, leveling is painfully slow.

Definitely need a tutorial somewhere to help those who haven't figured out the experimentation part - had to read the forums 3 times before I understood it (but I'm dense anyway).

I'd also like to see the following added (just a thought):
    • Poison - have a use such as rogues being able to poison a weapon
    • Create bombs - perhaps being able to create a poison, fire or other damaging potion bomb like alchemical fire that we can throw?
  • Options
    galactusvongalactusvon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Loving it so far, the leveling is a bit slow but it's a great concept that your worker is actually learning (read: experimenting) to increase in level, not just doing the same task over and over.

I'd also like to see the following added (just a thought):
      [*]Poison - have a use such as rogues being able to poison a weapon
      [*]Create bombs - perhaps being able to create a poison, fire or other damaging potion bomb like alchemical fire that we can throw?

Love that bolded idea, but would have to find a way to make it work for all classes otherwise even more cries of "NERF THE ROGUES" will be happening. That said, Potion of Plaugefire could be awesome.
    • Options
      chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
      edited June 2013
      My feedback:

1. Leveling process too confusing and convoluted. By the time I hit rank 4 alchemy I need to make 3 different potions and 1 aqua vitae just to do the task "experimentation" which has a CHANCE to gain "alchemical knowledge" in order to do yet another task just to gain XP. The leveling process needs to be simplified and streamlined. Currently it is too convoluted and confusing.

2. Requires TOO many different mats (potions) that CANNOT be stored in the tradeskill inventory but instead are stored in the main inventory (3 space taken) clogging up our already precious inventory space.

Let me breakdown the process:

Alchemy level 4:

1. Make 3 green vitriol for Minor Fortification potions (15 mins).
      2. Make 3 blue vitriol for 1 Minor Potion of Force (15 mins).
      Note: Green and blue are harvested together. That's count as one 30 mins
      3. Make 2 green and 2 blue vitriol for 1 Minor Rejuvination potions (15 mins)
      4. Make 2 green and 2 blue vitriol for 1 Aqua Vitae (15 mins)
      Note: Green and blue are harvested together. That's count as one 20 mins.
      5. Do task "Experimentation Rank 4" to combine all the ingredients for chance to gain Alchemical knowledge (10 mins.)
      6. Repeat until you have 3 Alchemical Knowledge.
      7. Combine 3 Alchemical knowledge + 2 brimstone for 300 XP (4 hours).
    • Options
      daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
      edited June 2013
      XP would be nice. Been doing this for 3 days on 2 toons and both are locked at level 2. I am not getting XP, nor am I getting an adequate number of green scrolls to progress. VERY disappointing profession. Too much mini-busy work and nowhere near an acceptable reward.

Sad to say, worst profession in the game.
      Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
    • Options
      chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
      edited June 2013
      daschla wrote: »
      XP would be nice. Been doing this for 3 days on 2 toons and both are locked at level 2. I am not getting XP, nor am I getting an adequate number of green scrolls to progress. VERY disappointing profession. Too much mini-busy work and nowhere near an acceptable reward.

Sad to say, worst profession in the game.

Well you don't level up alchemy the "traditional" way. You need to do "experimentation" to gain the "alchemical knowledge" which is then combined with some "brimstone" in order to gain a big chunk of XP to level up. What's annoying is luck is required to gain those "alchemical knowledge" (they are a random product of experimentation task). Also I have read about bug where people are not getting the require "recipe unlocks" to make the require mats to unlock the next tier. I love the concept of alchemy but execution needs to be streamlined.

Edit: There's a bug with Alchemy when you do collect "task" using the gateway. Sometimes the "alchemical knowledge" doesn't show until either you 1.) relog from gateway or 2.) log into the game itself.
    • Options
      edited June 2013
      My suggestion:

If luck has to be a factor in leveling Alchemy I recommend change the steps to:

1. Harvest X green and X blue vitriol.
      2. Do "experimentation task". You get either "potion protoype" or "alchemical knowledge".
      4. Combine "alchemical knowledge" and "potion prototype" for XP.

Instead of 7 steps.. you can just do it in 3 steps.
    • Options
      philmanpwphilmanpw Member Posts: 30 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      There seems to be a major bug with Alchemy, and this was done using the in game client and not the gateway.

The first couple times doing the Rank 2 Experimentation, I click on details and the final results section shows Minor unstable potion. I complete it and get the minor unstable potion. But the next two times doing the Rank 2 Experimentation, the Final Results section is now showing 3 items: Minor Unstable Potion, Basic Alchemical Knowledge and Recipe for Potion of minor healing. When it completes I am only getting the Minor Unstable Potion and nothing else. Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't what it says in the final results what you are supposed to get? You could do this rank 2 experimentation 20 times and still not get the 3 scrolls. way too much room for chance to not be on your side here.
    • Options
      edited June 2013
      philmanpw wrote: »
      There seems to be a major bug with Alchemy, and this was done using the in game client and not the gateway.

The first couple times doing the Rank 2 Experimentation, I click on details and the final results section shows Minor unstable potion. I complete it and get the minor unstable potion. But the next two times doing the Rank 2 Experimentation, the Final Results section is now showing 3 items: Minor Unstable Potion, Basic Alchemical Knowledge and Recipe for Potion of minor healing. When it completes I am only getting the Minor Unstable Potion and nothing else. Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't what it says in the final results what you are supposed to get? You could do this rank 2 experimentation 20 times and still not get the 3 scrolls. way too much room for chance to not be on your side here.

The recipe don't actually show up as a physical item. Only the Unstable potion. You can see the Alchemical knowledge in the tradeskill inventory.
    • Options
      powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      :cool:
      Please make more of this type of progression, this is much better than the other professions.
      I love the fact that you have to think for more than 2 seconds to progress, that you cant spam 'Protect Caravan' endlessly to get to level 20!

I would like to see:
      • Poison - usable by melee classes (and bow if it happens to appear)
      • Grenade - usable by casters
      where both are a buff like the existing potions - but with DoT rather than a damage bonus
    • Options
      ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      Big thumbs up from me. I actually enjoy the idea of "discovering" recipes, and I love the idea that you level up after completing a certain number of tasks, and not just grind out cloth robes or iron helmets over and over and over and over. I also appreciate the fact that it takes a little planning and thinking to level up the profession and create the items.

There's also a ton of useful potions and items spread throughout the leveling process, and I really like the fact that some of the player made potions are much more useful than stuff you can just buy or find.

I'm hoping you guys take this direction with more of the crafting options.
      "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
      i7TZDZK.gif?1
    • Options
      philmanpwphilmanpw Member Posts: 30 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      The recipe don't actually show up as a physical item. Only the Unstable potion. You can see the Alchemical knowledge in the tradeskill inventory.

I know it doesn't go into my normal inventory. I have been sitting at 1 Basic Alchemical Knowledge in my Trade skill inventory for a while now, and that is even after completing 2 rank 2 experimentations that have shown the basic alchemical knowledge listed in the final result. that is why I am saying there is a major bug in alchemy. it is not rewarding the basic alchemical knowledge when it says it will.