test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TR Cloud of Steel + Stealth is absurd!

jackmehandyjackmehandy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Thieves' Den
There is absolutely zero justification for this and it is nothing short of amateur logic by amateur devs. I need a reply from a dev as soon as possible on this and I NEED to know the reasoning behind this ridiculous amount of damage while stealthed and whether or not they will drastically change this in the future.

Also, endless knockdowns by GF's is out of control, put a DR on that FFS.
Post edited by jackmehandy on

Comments

• Options
    huckasexhuckasex Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nothing to fix there

you just need to learn the easy ways to avoid the damage.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    http://youtu.be/hQwWaWFjd0Y?t=1m
    This is pretty much how you counter it.
    Well, its what works for me on cleric(I just die moments later because you know, POS class that can't even self heal).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Huck, that illogical connection you just spouted left my jaw open. Denial is a terrible thing kid but I'm not here on this forum to teach you these simple things. Dev's need to respond to this asap. And it's TR's with an s, as in more than one TR that realizes this.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh, and don't DEMAND anything, you aren't the king of the world, you are just another ant, like vast majority of us.
    "Demanding" anything on the private internet forum usually ends up with warning/ban.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @lerdocix good point, I changed it to "need" but other than that, I don't retract anything. This is seriously an out of whack imbalance that needs to be addressed.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And this is mmo, unless something crashes the game or one shots the bosses, well, either jump the bandwagon or endure it to next balance patch if devs will consider this an issue. Stealth builds are extremely powerful in PvP, I've been killed 100% to 0 countless times by that on my GWF or Cleric(only 60s so far, GF to make TRs life pitiful is on the way).
  • Options
    huckasexhuckasex Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    I've been killed 100% to 0 countless times by that on my GWF or Cleric

and CW, GFs and GWFs kill rogue 100 to 0 countless times too
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @lerdocix exactly my point and this is why it needs to be addressed. The goal is to improve and balance the game I take it? So lets get to it...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    huckasex wrote: »
    and CW, GFs and GWFs kill rogue 100 to 0 countless times too

Yep, but in that cases TR have chance to kill when he gets first strike.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @keoblaa if you don't know what those words mean or don't like them being used, cry me a river. The dictionary is a good thing, try it some time.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Yep, but in that cases TR have chance to kill when he gets first strike.
    same goes for CW, GF and GFW
    who ever gets first strike, wins
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Cloud of Steel is fine. You want to nerf a rogue's only means of fighting off ranged attacks while capping points? How about no. The class is supposed to do high damage and it's supposed to attack from stealth. These two aspects are the basis of the class.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No, it is not simply a first strike game and if that is your way of thinking, you need some serious counseling. Bonus points if you can list the defensive abilities for each class <--- consider the generally obvious before you even think of typing "whoever gets first strike, wins".

@pinkfont, no, just no. Balancing game play is key kid, I'm not even going to elaborate the importance of this to you.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No, it is not simply a first strike game

yes, it is

and since you dont see that it means you dont understand the game

props for knocking yoruself out :)
  • Options
    lednaillednail Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    huckasex wrote: »
    nothing to fix there

you are just to lazy to learn the easy ways to avoid the damage and now you come to the forums crying for nerfs to cover your own inability to play

Lol, yes I'm sure the dev's intended running and/or LoS'n the only means of survival or "avoiding damage" for most classes versus the cheesey mindless perma stealth CoS spam build... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    griz024griz024 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Omg, again with this nonsense? The solution is so simple. if you thought about it for a moment before posting, you might have realized it. I am tired of spelling it out, but try this visualization:
    Picture your toon as the big, bad tr is tossing daggers at you. Now focus very hard on your toon. Notice anything about the daggers? maybe something about their position on your character's model? You should be wondering, "why are they all piled up on a single side of my toon?"

Now follow this line of reasoning and you should come up with a solution. one that does not involve a needless nerf to a perfectly fine ability/build that is easily countered by every, single class in the game!

btw i do not play a cos stealth build tr (but they do seem interesting, especially the int-based build. a tr pumping int? awesome), so stop that counterargument right now. It just bothers me to no end that people yell for nerfs without even trying to adapt. A change in tactics is all that is required to defeat a cos/stealth tr.
  • Options
    dethcorddethcord Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    Competent rogue can't be killed by a CW. You're forced to dodge CoS, or you'll die or atleast will be take lots of damage, if you've wasted your dodges you're defenceless against a rogue with ItC who's hitting you heavily and got to you by simply pressing deft strike.

Rogues are capable of doing 48k LB crits while LA is active, able to 100-0 people without leaving stealth or coming close.

Bad rogues are easy to beat, good ones, which are rare however, are impossible, but game shouldn't be balanced around bad players.

Solution is simple - rogue should leave stealth when dealing damage, simple as that.
  • Options
    kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I wonder if he realizes rogues already got hit with a huge nerf bat on several things. Now its one more thing.

Dude, if rogues are so OP, go play one.. I am going to guess you play a CW, even if you deny it... That's the class that gets hurt the worst from Cloud of Steel. Imgine that a cloth class. I am going to further guess you hate that their charged range attack is better than yours. Guess what, we can do any at will powers from stealth with no penalty.. Duh, its kind of the point of being a rogue.

Might want to try scrambling out of the way??? They have to sit still to throw those daggers, if you run and move out of range, guess what, they have to pursue or move else where. By that time their stealth will pop off.

Who would of thunk it, rogues being sneaky and stealthy?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    griz024 wrote: »
    Omg, again with this nonsense? The solution is so simple. if you thought about it for a moment before posting, you might have realized it. I am tired of spelling it out, but try this visualization:
    Picture your toon as the big, bad tr is tossing daggers at you. Now focus very hard on your toon. Notice anything about the daggers? maybe something about their position on your character's model? You should be wondering, "why are they all piled up on a single side of my toon?"

Now follow this line of reasoning and you should come up with a solution. one that does not involve a needless nerf to a perfectly fine ability/build that is easily countered by every, single class in the game!

btw i do not play a cos stealth build tr (but they do seem interesting, especially the int-based build. a tr pumping int? awesome), so stop that counterargument right now. It just bothers me to no end that people yell for nerfs without even trying to adapt. A change in tactics is all that is required to defeat a cos/stealth tr.

So by your logic, you're saying run towards the damage and find him in stealth. So run or dodge towards the direction of being hit by CoS (with dmg building per consecutive attack) with speed swindle reducing run speed by 10% and increasing their run speed by 10%, while they could have sneak attack slotted for 30% movement speed while stealthed, bait and switch for new stealth bar + distraction+evade or shadow strike for new stealth bar+dmg, perhaps they have sneaky stabber for 10% stealth refill for their dodges to avoid your detection. The simplest of minds such as huckasex could maintain damage and avoid detection easily. Not to mention, running towards the damage to detect them in stealth puts you in melee range and using stamina to avoid CoS spam kind of puts you a slight disadvantage as a CW or DC versus a TR with lashing blade waiting.

Sure running towards the damage might work sometimes if the TR is horribad, otherwise no... LoS or retreating is really the only viable means of defense for most classes.. and defending this cheesey build only makes you look stupid imo.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    My Two Cents: I see the point of remaining in stealth while attacking being rediculous...

But the only time I find it "overpowered" is when I'm getting knives I can't dodge chunking my health down while they're invisible.
    There's literally no counter to it save for a few rogue abilities or maybe some of the class ults such as the GWF's jump.

If rogues go invisible the counter is to keep moving and make it hard for them to attack essencially buying time while they are untargetable but that goes away when they can simply throw knives around which do a fair chunk of damage each. Even if it was made so that throwing knives decreased the stealth bar it would be a much more balanced system.

Rogues need their stealth to survive in fights but they shouldn't be able to kill multiple squishier targets such as control wizards while in stealth purely by throwing knives which can't be dodged.

EDIT - Just to make this clear I am not a developer. And while they read the forums regularly I can tell you right now demanding or "needing" a developer reply often makes them less likely to want to reply.
    As the saying goes, "Thems fightin' words."
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you for your input :) The fact of you replying gave me hope, I just want a balanced game like the rest of the community. Everyone knows this game has some serious potential, it just needs to get there. Definitely still playing, mainly farming and pvp'ing until things get straightened out. On a more positive note, I am impressed by the progress thus far, even though everything is not fixed yet.
  • Options
    strawbyxstrawbyx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    The issue is not being able to attack from stealth, nor the base damage of said ability. (You have to actually spec for CoS for it to deal sufficient damage)

The issue is when you factor in certain enchantments that add to overall on hit damage,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48A7iA3q6w

As you can see from this video, and pay attention to the numbers popping up while I'm CoSing, you'll notice it isn't just CoS damaging the target (Think about those enchantments). Now if we're talking about counters, line of sight renders CoS 100% unless, in Hotenow domination, each objective allows you to do that. In Rivenscar ruins, you'll have to use dodge/block/etc essentially range CoS and wait for stealth to wear off before opening. Other stealth breaking abilities applies, you'll see again in the video (for rogues), my usage of PoB to knock other rogues out of stealth.

Honestly, in terms of knocking rogues out of stealth, CWs have it the easiest (I'll let you figure out which one specific skill does this all the time), rogues next, followed by GFs/GWFs and lastly and probably the hardest DCs.
    lednail wrote: »
    Lol, yes I'm sure the dev's intended running and/or LoS'n the only means of survival or "avoiding damage" for most classes versus the cheesey mindless perma stealth CoS spam build... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but a counter that doesn't involve the usage of a single encounter/power/feat is the best balance design possible. Not to mention perma stealth builds are, as you put it cheesey builds, in that after he empties his 12 daggers, and the target does not dies, what encounters does he have left to use? shadow strike/bait and switch are possibly the 2 worst PvP encounters you could bring to a fight. At that point he either left clicks you to death (of which if you can't totally destroy him with all your encounters then whelp...) or runs off and waits for his daggers to recharge, taking him out of any/all fights in that time, a tactical advantage to the other team.

dethcord wrote: »
    Competent rogue can't be killed by a CW. You're forced to dodge CoS, or you'll die or atleast will be take lots of damage, if you've wasted your dodges you're defenceless against a rogue with ItC who's hitting you heavily and got to you by simply pressing deft strike.

Rogues are capable of doing 48k LB crits while LA is active, able to 100-0 people without leaving stealth or coming close.

Bad rogues are easy to beat, good ones, which are rare however, are impossible, but game shouldn't be balanced around bad players.

Solution is simple - rogue should leave stealth when dealing damage, simple as that.

The same can be said, a competent CW can't be killed by anyone, ever, or for that matter any class, because ... you know running away is extremely easy in this game? (Ok fine, GFs can't run but you get the bloody idea)

LB is easily dodged out of stealth, a little bit harder from stealth (although those expecting it usually manage to avoid a LB from stealth by pre-empting a dodge when you spot a TR in stealth next to you) . With LA, it means using a daily, granted it still possibly one shots, but its a daily... rogues build AP the slowest. That said, that's an issue with the multiplier on LA and how it affects other skills, not the base skill or LB.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @strawbyx Impossible to catch, stealth and cloud of steal. This needs to be nerfed as soon as possible. No need for the pointless video to stroke your own ego by the way.

I'll sum up your response: You can Line of sight, therefore there is nothing wrong with me being immune to crowd control, being able to attack while in stealth and being able to do incredible amounts of damage with cloud of steal... if you don't like it, hide.

I need a more professional response than this please

I can smell the desperation for them not to nerf your imbalanced class in your response by the way. ITC, Stealth + CoS. Nerf it, there is no need for them to work together like that and yes, having any ranged damage to follow up after CoS will be enough to finish off the target. Stop being pathetic.
  • Options
    strawbyxstrawbyx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    @strawbyx Impossible to catch, stealth and cloud of steal. This needs to be nerfed as soon as possible. No need for the pointless video to stroke your own ego by the way.

I'll sum up your response: You can Line of sight, therefore there is nothing wrong with me being immune to crowd control, being able to attack while in stealth and being able to do incredible amounts of damage with cloud of steal... if you don't like it, hide.

I need a more professional response than this please

I can smell the desperation for them not to nerf your imbalanced class in your response by the way. ITC, Stealth + CoS. Nerf it, there is no need for them to work together like that and yes, having any ranged damage to follow up after CoS will be enough to finish off the target. Stop being pathetic.

You clearly did not read my response, nor took the time to actually look at the numbers of the video. So I'll reiterate it for you once more.

The issue is not being able to attack from stealth, nor the base damage of said ability. (You have to actually spec for CoS for it to deal sufficient damage)

The issue is when you factor in certain enchantments that add to overall on hit damage

ItC has already been nerfed... Stealth (damage) was nerfed coming out of Closed beta... Shocking execution was nerfed recently, they have been fixing/balancing Rogues since closed beta and it has gotten a lot more balanced, your continued insistence that Rogues are still unbalanced on those points (ItC/Stealth/CoS) is unfounded. I've said this time and time again, the base abilities/encounters/feats/powers of rogues for the most apart have been or are currently balanced, however it's when you add in the effects of certain enchantments then couple together how those enchantments work with a select few of rogues abilities, then it is here that a balancing issue occurs as this is where rogues benefit the greatest from. That's not to say other classes cannot benefit from said enchantments either. Now I refuse to flat out name those enchantments for one simple reason, go test and figure out what I'm talking about, I'm not here to spoon feed you every bit of god **** information (I've already given you flat out how it's done in my video, that's as much spoon feeding I'm going to do). The usage/unbalancing nature of said enchantments have already been debated multiple times over and it's safe to say the dev's are aware of it, when and how they change it though remains to be seen.

So quit whining about rogues as a whole, and start whining about the enchantments (which every class has access to and can use).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    As if I was unaware of your GENERAL enchantment data, ANYONE can get those enchants. I am talking about your class encounter line up.. ARE WE CLEAR? You're CLASS ENCOUNTER LINE UP.. OK? OK.

Lol its hilarious, you're response is either a bit about enchantments that anybody can get or a run away and los bit... again, I need a SERIOUS response. This is not cutting it and its pathetic.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    As if I was unaware of your GENERAL enchantment data, ANYONE can get those enchants. I am talking about your class encounter line up.. ARE WE CLEAR? You're CLASS ENCOUNTER LINE UP.. OK? OK.

Lol its hilarious, you're response is either a bit about enchantments that anybody can get or a run away and los bit... again, I need a SERIOUS response. This is not cutting it and its pathetic.

sigh. Class encounter line up on its own for the most part is balanced using said tactics, while enchantments make said class encounter line up unbalanced. So where is the root cause of the issue? Clearly not the class encounters, but the enchantments. What more do I need to say to get you to understand.

I'm done with you, I've said what needs to be said.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    your response is weak too since you have no point anyway

you just refuse to read the advice given to you and continue to whine about something that can be easily solved by understanding how the game works
  • Options
    wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Jack, I don't understand why you have to offend anyone that isn't completely agreeing with you. Have you actually read strawbyx's response and really considered its content?

He lists some quite useful counters, which, when playing vs a decent team render a stealth based rogue at the edge of useless. That's at least the experience I've made in my matches.

And if you, as a stealth rogue who - mostly - refrains from using ItC get caught off guard by ANY class, CWs/GFs in particular, you're nothing but a dangling punching bag. And die within two hits. W/o soulforged at least. (For more on the actually imbalance issue-> certain enchants <- go read strawbyx's well founded reply again. And again. And maybe take a step back and look at the entire topic a bit more rationally than emotionally :) No offense intended here!)

By the way, did you know that you can actually see and target 'invisible' rogues? And if you stun them while they have lurker's up, you even cancel that daily? This is where I go hyper rage every time :D This might be something to build on as well...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    strawbyx wrote: »
    Not to mention perma stealth builds are, as you put it cheesey builds, in that after he empties his 12 daggers, and the target does not dies, what encounters does he have left to use? shadow strike/bait and switch are possibly the 2 worst PvP encounters you could bring to a fight. At that point he either left clicks you to death (of which if you can't totally destroy him with all your encounters then whelp...) or runs off and waits for his daggers to recharge, taking him out of any/all fights in that time, a tactical advantage to the other team.

Besides the fact that 12 daggers is more then enough for squishies or other non squishies (given the right enchantments).... Bait and switch + shadow strike to remain in stealth and avoid detection while dealing damage with CoS recharges, or perhaps throw a impact shot rotation in before your shadow strike.. Or jump CoS moving towards the target as they waste their stamina and drop a lashing blade or impossible to catch.. I stand by my statement before about people that are defending this.... It's just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in its current state and to say otherwise is asinine.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Whelp, just tested, they even ninjaed nerfed said enchantments in the latest patch. Should be a non issue even more.