test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• insubstantialinsubstantial Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I also want to pose this question for the people who still think this type of ban is reasonable.

A new player to the game, or MMOs in general, enters the main city and sees other people listing items for sale. He has found this super awesome level 20 item that he lists for gold. People report him for "spam" when in fact he only listed the item once, because he doesn't understand all the currencies and how the auction house works yet.

This new player is now royally screwed. People are messaging him to help him out and he has no way of responding. He's confused.

Now, if that **** happened to you, how would you feel about the game? How would you feel about MMOs in general? Would you want to keep playing this game?

Yeah Mr. Innocent Naive New Player is selling items in the wrong channel and gets silenced for 24 hours. Boo hoo... what is he going to think of MMOs? Or life in general for that matter? Unless he's an idiot he's going to realize that he irritated the *** out of people and will be more careful before he broadcasts his garbage into the wrong channel. In fact he will probably think twice before he types anything into zone and will strongly consider whether his abbreviated gibberish is truly something that 10,000+ people need to be subjected to.
  • thequeueballthequeueball Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get what your saying.... this is an "MMO" and its supposed to be like the back alley of a 3rd world flea market. I get it. I just think I and many others, those being the 20+ people who are silencing you.. don't agree with you. Sounds to me like there are at least 20 people across the 20,000 people in the enclave who want you to be quiet. I really don't think there is any abuse of the system going on at all. I asked some questions and I got answers... all systems seem to be working fine on this end.

20 people out of 20,000. That sounds like the majority.

Again, let the report spam ban from zone chat for 24 hours.... All chat is way to excessive. You can't really play for 24 hours after a ban like that. Might as well blindly ban accounts for 24 hours.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I kind of find it cute that people here actually think any of this matters and that anything is going to change. Do you honestly think a few complaint posts in the newest game compares to the YEARS of complaints in the other two games? Nothing was done in CO, nothing was done in STO, and nothing has been promised here. Just a statement meant to placate.

Sometime in the future, when Cryptic releases its newest 4th game. A few grizzled vets will laugh and cry as the cycle repeats itself once again.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah Mr. Innocent Naive New Player is selling items in the wrong channel and gets silenced for 24 hours. Boo hoo... what is he going to think of MMOs? Or life in general for that matter? Unless he's an idiot he's going to realize that he irritated the *** out of people and will be more careful before he broadcasts his garbage into the wrong channel. In fact he will probably think twice before he types anything into zone and will strongly consider whether his abbreviated gibberish is truly something that 10,000+ people need to be subjected to.

Jesus christ you're toxic. And the exact type of player this game doesn't need.
    edited May 2013
    20 people out of 20,000. That sounds like the majority.

Again, let the report spam ban from zone chat for 24 hours.... All chat is way to excessive. You can't really play for 24 hours after a ban like that. Might as well blindly ban accounts for 24 hours.

No it will make the offender think twice before he types ANYTHING into zone. He will realize that Zone crosses all the instances and that anything he says or does can and will be used against him, so he better think twice before he pulls the trigger.
    edited May 2013

3. Understand that /report, if consistently misused such as seen in this thread, will ultimately lead to us losing it. That is NOT the result you want, I promise.

My $0.02 worth.

This would actually be the perfect result assuming they implement new strategies to deal with the problem. If you can list any other MMO not made by Cryptic that let's players blindly ban another player for 24 hours (chat or game) i'd like to know. It's an insane policy and any company that isn't trying to use a game as a cash grab would never use it. There are far better options to dealing with gold spam.

People are switching the issue from "players" to "gold spammers"

That isn't the topic. It's about legitimate users getting banned for 24 hours from playing (essentially) because any other player can hit report on them without repercussions.
    edited May 2013
    No it will make the offender think twice before he types ANYTHING into zone. He will realize that Zone crosses all the instances and that anything he says or does can and will be used against him, so he better think twice before he pulls the trigger.

Yes because chatting in an MMO or listing items for sale in an MMO is a crime..... Go back to COD
    edited May 2013
    Sure limit the amount of reports you can submit to one every 5-10 minutes... after that you can go on your way or stop paying attention right?

WRONG... this was implemented to SUBSTANTIALLY cut off the flow of garbage in the Zone... and it seems to be working. Pretty soon, the zone will be a clear, calm place for important communications. And if what you have to say doesn't fit within the Zone.. you'll find out about it pretty quick. If you are worried about getting silenced for 24 hours, here's an easy solution for you.. STOP BLATHERING into a channel where 10,000+ people can hear you. So you think that people are abusing it and your going to get silenced unjustly? KEEP QUIET THEN AND DON"T DRAW ATTENTION TO YOURSELF. And soon enough, presto, the Zone will be a clean, quiet and calm place, the 'silencing' will wear off and the problem will be solved.
    edited May 2013
    Sure limit the amount of reports you can submit to one every 5-10 minutes... after that you can go on your way or stop paying attention right?

WRONG... this was implemented to SUBSTANTIALLY cut off the flow of garbage in the Zone... and it seems to be working. Pretty soon, the zone will be a clear, calm place for important communications. And if what you have to say doesn't fit within the Zone.. you'll find out about it pretty quick. If you are worried about getting silenced for 24 hours, here's an easy solution for you.. STOP BLATHERING into a channel where 10,000+ people can hear you. So you think that people are abusing it and your going to get silenced unjustly? KEEP QUIET THEN AND DON"T DRAW ATTENTION TO YOURSELF. And soon enough, presto, the Zone will be a clean, quiet and calm place, the 'silencing' will wear off and the problem will be solved.

But it's not working at all.....

Also the report spam is "supposed" to be used for ... SPAM (according to the few that support it). Imagine that? Not to report everyone you want....

PS : Your age is showing.
  • bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As predicted.Due to the AH being down threads start to emerge of people being abused.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?688-General-Discussion
  • keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are literally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Instead of facing the issue, you just want everyone to stay out of zone chat? I have a solution for you, turn your zone chat off.

I love how his solution is "This isn't working the way I want; everyone else should turn off Zone chat so it works the way I do."

Go make your own **** game if you want something to work a certain way. Most of us are fine with this system.

Yes, I realize it's +50 pages and I'm replying to the first; this speaks for the entire argument.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Yup this has happened often,

And now we're back to making things up.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »
    Go make your own **** game if you want something to work a certain way. Most of us are fine with this system.

Or they could go play RaiderZ, and see what it's like if there's no way to report a spammer easily. No barrier to entry; your existing PWE account for this game gets you in.
  • lipe124lipe124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zone chat is not for WTT/WTB end of the story.

Use the trade channel or something else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • bogleparsonsbogleparsons Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish I wasn't at work, because I could be in in PE reporting WTT/WTB spammers instead...
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Or they could go play RaiderZ, and see what it's like if there's no way to report a spammer easily. No barrier to entry; your existing PWE account for this game gets you in.

Which means they have no system in place at all, which i'm not saying should happen. Derp.

I quoted you in a previous post that you completely ignored.

Moving on, it seems that EVERYONE agrees that zone spam is annoying. But this report spam doesn't stop anything, go look at zone in the main city at any time and you'll see it's always the same. There needs to be new methods in place to stop it.

Banning people from chatting completely is not a solution.
    edited May 2013

That's a bold statement.

I also don't think you understand how the system works if you ignored my entire first post.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also want to pose this question for the people who still think this type of ban is reasonable.

A new player to the game, or MMOs in general, enters the main city and sees other people listing items for sale. He has found this super awesome level 20 item that he lists for gold. People report him for "spam" when in fact he only listed the item once, because he doesn't understand all the currencies and how the auction house works yet.

This new player is now royally screwed. People are messaging him to help him out and he has no way of responding. He's confused.

Now, if that **** happened to you, how would you feel about the game? How would you feel about MMOs in general? Would you want to keep playing this game?

So where did this brand new player find this super awesome lvl 20 item to sell? On the bridge? Did somebody drop it for an alt?

I don't spam chat wanting to sell stuff, buy stuff or join groups. In fact, since you brought it up, I'll point it out again; spam Zone chat all you want, I already have it turned off. I have it turned off because, as in almost every other MMO it is full of gold spammers, trade spammers which really aren't much better, and 12 year olds who's parents aren't home, so they can throw out all the abusive language/racial slurs they want because, as I said, the parents aren't home, and you can't reach through the monitor to slap the taste out of their mouths. So I shut it off, as soon as I log in. I'll even make a private channel where it's possible, if I'm not in a guild. So I say, yeah, everyone should take your advice, and turn Zone chat off. Then the only ones posting will be people trying to sell stuff. It really truly is a novel idea, there would only be gold spammers the occasional new player, and a bunch of people that can't understand why nobody is responding to their sales.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did read your first post. My statement stands. Nearly response I've seen here disagrees with you. This thread is only still going because you're the only one replying to everyone for your side of it. Don't spam. There's no "Well you should have the ability to spam this much." Just don't ****ing spam. End of story.

I don't think you understand how the system works. The marks don't necessarily get erased until you're muted. You may have gathered them over time.

If you really want to see how much everyone feels about it, create a poll and we'll express our opinions in number.

In fact, to hell with it. I'll make one.
    edited May 2013
    I did read your first post. My statement stands. Nearly response I've seen here disagrees with you. This thread is only still going because you're the only one replying to everyone for your side of it. Don't spam. There's no "Well you should have the ability to spam this much." Just don't ****ing spam. End of story.

I don't think you understand how the system works. The marks don't necessarily get erased until you're muted. You may have gathered them over time.

If you really want to see how much everyone feels about it, create a poll and we'll express our opinions in number.

In fact, to hell with it. I'll make one.
    how about I login on Dragon and say @keeganfox just ninjaed my cleric helm please all report spam him in guild and zone chat, then I login my other char in Mind Flayer.
    Think it might not work?Guess again and check the screenshots i posted earlier of other people doing that.
    Are you seriously that mentally deficient that you do not see the issue with the system here??
    You are the one that does not understand the system due to your mental capacity.
  • krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SIMPLE SOLUTION FOLLOWS: (Please Read...YES You too Devs)

Add a channel to chat, call it trade...problem solved...NEXT helping number 567
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
    edited May 2013
    Yeah something needs to be done
  • shroommageshroommage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I kind of find it cute that people here actually think any of this matters and that anything is going to change. Do you honestly think a few complaint posts in the newest game compares to the YEARS of complaints in the other two games? Nothing was done in CO, nothing was done in STO, and nothing has been promised here. Just a statement meant to placate.

Sometime in the future, when Cryptic releases its newest 4th game. A few grizzled vets will laugh and cry as the cycle repeats itself once again.

And the AD exploit was in STO, too. What caused them to finally fix it?

All we need is 20 players...
    edited May 2013

No, it will make him uninstall the game because the message received didn't tell him WHY he was banned from chat. WHY do you think a just system is one where a mere 20 people can decide what is and isn't allowed.

Suppose there was a phone number. You could text any license plate to this number. If a certain number of people text a single plate to the number, the owner of the vehicle has their license revoked for some period of time. Does that sound appealing to you? If so, you've stated your opinion. Thank you for your feedback.
    edited May 2013
    KEEP QUIET THEN AND DON"T DRAW ATTENTION TO YOURSELF. And soon enough, presto, the Zone will be a clean, quiet and calm place, the 'silencing' will wear off and the problem will be solved.

I see. That's an interesting vision.
  • silencebettiesilencebettie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shroommage wrote: »
    No, it will make him uninstall the game because the message received didn't tell him WHY he was banned from chat. WHY do you think a just system is one where a mere 20 people can decide what is and isn't allowed.

Suppose there was a phone number. You could text any license plate to this number. If a certain number of people text a single plate to the number, the owner of the vehicle has their license revoked for some period of time. Does that sound appealing to you? If so, you've stated your opinion. Thank you for your feedback.
    +1 Awesome!
  • asashiroasashiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shroommage wrote: »
    And the AD exploit was in STO, too. What caused them to finally fix it?

All we need is 20 players...

I actually went ahead and registered 20 accounts. Unfortunately after the third or fourth account they stopped activating despite clicking the link in the emails and I can't log in to all of them yet. I'm guessing there's a limit per ip for x amount of time. Soon... indiscriminately, all of zone. Maybe then the issue will get resolved.
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »
    how about I login on Dragon and say @keeganfox just ninjaed my cleric helm please all report spam him in guild and zone chat, then I login my other char in Mind Flayer.
    Think it might not work?Guess again and check the screenshots i posted earlier of other people doing that.
    Are you seriously that mentally deficient that you do not see the issue with the system here??
    You are the one that does not understand the system due to your mental capacity.

So do it. What's stopping you? I'm the mentally deficient one? You're the one making idle threats.
    If it's so easy, why aren't more people doing it?

Maybe because more people don't want banned.

Someone please explain to me how you report a spammer when you don't see them typing. Frankly I think you'd get yourself a 24h mute if you went into a zone, could find the one I'm in, and started asking everyone to 'Report Spam' me. Because that's the only way I know to do it.

Educate me. I'm mentally deficient, remember?
  • asashiroasashiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, there are two simple chat commands. One, /ignore which does the same thing as right-click ignore. Two, /ignore_spammer, which does that same this as... you guessed it! Report Spam. And, the only thing you need is twenty-ish people and someones @handle.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or.... IGNORE. BOOM. You are making an argument that it stops gold spammers. They email you anyway, ban or not. Gold spammers aren't going away, they have been in every MMO spamming since the dawn of creation.

This hurts legitimate users.... Gold spammers just make new accounts.

There are FAR better options that other MMOs use to get rid of gold spam.

Nope. Gold spammers will go away, with a few minor adjustments. One game I worked for made it so people had to be a certain level to use the trade zone, which was the only place trade chat functioned. The minute someone spammed trade ads in any other zone than the AH zone, in any other channel, they got shut down.

So no - gold spammers will NOT just crank out another account. It becomes nice and inconvenient for them to have to play through the tutorial and get to a specific level in order to enter the AH zone each time they are shut down on a character they previously spammed in. Might be 2-3 hours of play to get to that level, but then they get shut down again in 30 seconds afterward. Then it takes 1-2 sting operations to find the account they have all their goods they are selling on, and that disappears too.
This discussion has been closed.